Need Feedback on Idea for Kid Stuff-Lending Classified Ad Site - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In a nutshell, I would like to create a Craigslist-ish site where mamas could offer to lend baby/kid stuff they aren't using to other mamas. Both mamas in a lending transaction would benefit because the lender wouldn't have to store things in her home that aren't in use, and the lendee would obviously get to make use of the items. The transactions would be mostly local, since big items that take up a lot of space--and would be expensive to ship--would be ideal for lenders to list.

There are a million other small details and factors that could also be discussed about this idea, but I don't want to get into it all yet. For now, I just want to know this:

Do you think this is a good idea? Would you use such a site? Do you believe there is a demand for such a site?

I feel like a lot of moms would be interested in lending out their stuff...but I'm not sure there would be a lot of lendees. That may sound weird--who wouldn't want to borrow stuff for free?--but when I really think about it, I wouldn't be extremely keen on being a lendee because [at least in my model for a transaction on the site] a lendee would have to pick up the item she's borrowing and drive it back to the lender when the lendee is done using it/the lender wants it back.

This seems like it might be too much of a hassle. (Maybe I only am thinking that because I live in crowded, hard-to-get-around-in LA, am a homebody, and hate to drive.) In the traditional Craigslist transaction, a mama buys the item, often for a really small amount because it's slightly used, and then she doesn't have to worry about keeping it in good shape or giving it back. When she doesn't want it anymore, she can always put it back on Craigslist.

...so is it silly of me to attempt to offer another alternative when the Craigslist one works? Thoughts?

Also, I wonder if there will really be enough mamas who want to lend out stuff rather than sell it. Mama lending users on the site would probably be limited to mamas who are planning to have more kids. Otherwise, they wouldn't need stuff they aren't using for their current kid(s) back. Is that too narrow a group for such a site?

Sorry if I'm babbling--it's really late and I should be asleep. I'd love your feedback, mamas!

Tags
Wahm
User Tag List