Those who do home child care how did you find like minded parents?........ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have ads on care.com, sittercity.com, and craigslist.  My ads specifically say "attachment parenting style" because I wanted a way to find like minded parents.  I'm absoultely not willing to work with parents who would want me to let their child cry it out. 

What is the best way to find parents?  I'm trying to find part time kids and I'm wondering if I need to suck it up and do full time, I did full time last year and it was very draining though.  For someone working 2 days a week and spending a half day a week volunteering  in my daughter's kindergarten class I'm crazy busy!   Right now I only have a 4 year old tues and thurs and only have her for a few more weeks. 

Thanks for any help! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds like you're already doing a good job putting the word out there. I've been doing home childcare for almost 2 years now (since my son was born) and have found a many like minded parents--mostly through craigslist and word of mouth. I never specifically said "attachment style parenting" (which is what I practice) but did describe my philosophy and beliefs in the ad. You may also want to make flyers and business cards to spread around town--maybe at family friendly restaurants, the library, children's museum, etc. 

And I definitely understand the full time/part time dilemma! I offered care 5 days a week from 8-5:30 last year and I was absolutely exhausted! I lost most of my families when I made the switch to part-time, because the parents all had full time jobs and therefore needed full-time care. I did get lucky in finding new kids and families though with more flexible schedules, although I do watch much fewer kids now. Thankfully, my hubby's business is doing well because with fewer kids and fewer hours per week, my income took a big hit! But I'm soooo much happier not working 40 hrs a week--taking care of little ones is rewarding, but also really draining, like you said. Hopefully you can find the perfect balance and a group of like minded families.

Best of luck to you!

~may all beings be free from suffering~

Tags
Wahm
User Tag List