I am knee deep in starting my own fabric and textile gifts business. I have a partner and quite a bit of support from family and friends but I'm nearing some issues that I could use some help with. I'm sure there are other forums for me to post this in but I thought I'd start with our WAHMs and go from there...
I have finished our profit and loss report and there are some areas where we can work to make this thing work -- but it's tight. We're looking at trying to increase our profit margin but we can't really know what that is without having firm prices and guaranteed distributors.
For the fabric - that will be easy. My partner will just buy from the few big wholesalers. But I'm in charge of textile finished goods/gifts and I'm having trouble finding a source for some things.
I guess my questions relevant to the WAHM forum are:
- How do you handle wholesale prices for your wares?
- What are your minimum orders?
- What are your ordering policies
- Do any of you do home sewing?
- Custom work for shops and etc.
- What is the payment structure for that sort of thing?
- Do any of you do resale shops?
- How did you find your wholesalers?
- Any for building a relationship with a wholesaler, especially on imported textiles?
- Have any of you approached your local artists to sell their goods?
- How have you gone about doing that?
- Have any of you employed local WAHMs to help build your inventory?
- How did that go?
- Were you able to pay them well enough and still earn a good profit?
I am open to PMs for WAHM goods and services for the following:
- Sewing services (we would provide a pattern, fabric and an order number)
- WAHM made or imported textile gifts with a modern "global" aesthetic for the home, infants, young girls, and women
- Vintage fabric, unique notions, or craft kits
Thanks for your time!!
Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I have made quilts, pillows, patchwork, curtains, tote bags, and some clothing (mostly dresses). I can also make beaded jewelry and hemp macrame. I used to make these items for sale at a shop and at festivals but when I had kids I just got out of it. My youngest daughter is now 4 so I have a little more time on my hands. I don't really have much inventory right now but if you let me know what you're looking for I could put something together and send pictures or something. Thanks
|50 members and 18,156 guests|
|bananabee , BlessedMommy , Brown Lioness , cfaokunla , Choochoo52812 , DahliaRW , Deborah , hannabrown15 , happymamasallie , ian'smommaya , Janeen0225 , JElaineB , JLA , joycef , katelove , kathymuggle , lilmissgiggles , lisak1234 , Lydia08 , manyhatsmom , mareseatoats , marsupial-mom , mecubom , Mirzam , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , mumto1 , NaturallyKait , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , philomom , rachieface , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , sarrahlnorris , shanna-cat , shantimama , Shmootzi , Skippy918 , Springshowers , sren , thecoffeebean , tifga , Tweety_Bird , Xerxella , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|