Anyone have resources for teaching/tutoring online from home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd love to learn more about how I could teach or tutor from home.  

Does anyone have any links or info to share on how a person could make it happen?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

notes.gif

(saw it in Unanswered posts and am interested love.gif )

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Tutoring who or what?innocent.gif The answers would influence what kind of preparation you might do. I hired a tutor for my unschooled 16 YO DD, because she and I don't stay as structured as she wanted for certain subjects. The tutor tested her (in the subjects we requested), and came back the next week with a formal lesson plan/syllabus drawn up. I think most of the tests and worksheets she uses come off the internet. We are very happy with the progress she is making. She charges $20/hr, which seems to be about the going rate here, and seems fair to me. To tutor schoolage kids, you might be able to put up flyers at libraries, schools, rec centers, etc.

I have an ESL teaching certificate, and advertise on Craigslist to tutor adults in English. I plan to post a flyer at a couple local universities that have exchange student programs. I  am brand new to this, and have temporarily put it on hold, due to family emergencies, but hope to get back into it in the coming weeks.

I have come across several websites that accept free ads from tutors in my area.You would want ones with local presence in your area, but a google search should turn up some avenues.

I might have more specific suggestions if I knew more about what you are planning to teach. I would also love to hear from others to share experiences in this field.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM

I know k12.com hires at-home teachers. Maybe you can find something with them?

#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM

just saw this post.  i'm a teacher for california virtual academies.  not sure what state you live in, but most states have their version.  the curriculum is the k-12 system.  some days are so busy it's craziness, but overall worth slightly less than traditional teacher pay so i can be home and bring in a paycheck!  let me know if you want more info, or what state you're in then i may be able to direct you more!

good luck! :)

mom to 2 pooches, one wild and awesome little boy kid.gif who joined our family through the miracle of adoption, and expecting 2 miracle babies in spring 2013 after 7 years of ttc!belly.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coome View Post

just saw this post.  i'm a teacher for california virtual academies.  not sure what state you live in, but most states have their version.  the curriculum is the k-12 system.  some days are so busy it's craziness, but overall worth slightly less than traditional teacher pay so i can be home and bring in a paycheck!  let me know if you want more info, or what state you're in then i may be able to direct you more!

good luck! :)

I was curious as to what kind of hours you have as at stay-at-home teacher.  I have seen organizations advertised as 10-3pm and then others stating you need to be available to your students from 8/9am-4pm.  Do you keep your kids home with you?  Is your curriculum provided or do you create?  

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 AM

This is the only way I love being a public school teacher, frankly, and I'm wondering if there is even a possibility of finding that type of job in the current economy and with so many districts downsizing.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Tags
Wahm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page