Any WAHM from the uk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, I have just started up a new business and am hoping I can make it grow into a viable business so I can work from home. I have chosen something I am passionate about and I believe in, its difficult at the moment trying to set everything up with such little time but I know it'll be worth it in the end :) Anyone got any pearls of wisdom for me? I am currently trying to figure out Pinterest, what a head pickler!

#2 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm in the UK!  I make wooden toys.  I find that having a business Facebook page is really really helpful.  I've got a nice fan base there now.  What are you selling?  What's your business called?  I'm Little Woodlanders, you can check out my facebook page if you want!  https://www.facebook.com/LittleWoodlanders

I'm also trying to use Twitter but don't use it as much as Facebook.  Maybe I haven't cracked it yet, but facebook gives me more of a two way thing with my followers, when they like and comment on my posts.  Twitter is more like talking to the empty universe!  Anyway, feel free to ask me any specific questions you have and I'll see if I can help!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#3 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks for replying. I started up about a month ago with very little money and not much knowledge! I have started up a business selling eco friendly and fairtrade toys. I'm not looking to make millions, just plod along and hopefully make a bit of money out of something i believe in and feel strongly about. If you want you can have a look at my website, if you google tread lightly toys you should find it. I'd put a link in but I dont know if I'd get told off for that.

How do you do at fairs? I'm thinking I really need to get out and about and let people know about my shop, I don't have a vast product range yet but can't buy more until I sell some of what I've got!! Catch 22!

How long have you been doing what you are doing?

#4 of 4 Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM

I just did my first few fairs this Christmas season and didn't do as well as I had hoped!  I did ok, but after I take out the fee for the table and the petrol, it wasn't really worth it for me.  That's probably because I make the toys myself and it takes hours and is really hard physical work!  For you it might be more worth it since you're buying wholesale, right?   

I'm going to stick to selling online, I do well enough there.  

I started in January, so almost a year!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven

Tags
Wahm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page