Thinking about doing child care in-home: How to handle own kids' transportation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This past year I have been a SAHM- our youngest will be 1 in June. Our 3 oldest were all in K this past year and at 2 different schools (blended family), so i couldn't have worked if I wanted to! Prior to the birth of our youngest I had spent months building on my etsy shop (sewing business) that had always been a side project for me, hoping to develop it into a realistic WAHM situation... guess what? I started to get super busy! Right AFTER the baby was born. It was way too much. I got a taste of what trying to do that sort of work nearly full-time was like with an infant in tow- anong with 3 other children part time. (it was labor intensive- dying fabrics, cutting, sewing, screen printing. Not stuff you want a baby around). SO I scaled way back and just let it go for the time being. Imagining not working in some way the next school year while it's just me and the baby/toddler most of the day is hard- I was a SAHM with my first two until they were nearly 2 & 3, but there were 2 and my oldest had developmental needs. 

Before I tried to make a go of my sewing business I was working and going to school for child development. I have worked in early child education for many years, and that's nearly all my work history. Growing up my mom had an in-home preschool, so I grew up in that environment until I was 16. I have gone back and forth considering taking care of a few children in my home as a means of income- toddler aged- my home is small but I have a great yard and other toys, supplies, and equipment. It wouldn't be "daycare/ babysitting", I would like to provide a quality experience of childcare for the few children I would watch (and my own).

Here is my main conundrum/question: My older children getting out of school/ needing transportation. My stepson is with us half the time- and goes to school across town (by his mom's). No bus. She has offered to pick him up on our days next year because of the issue of our kids getting out of school at the same time, and I would get him after I got my child (his school is just blocks from our house in a quiet neighborhood). My oldest will be transported to his IBI therapist's program and she brings him home around 5. 

So my issue is mainly my DSS every other week- How to other mom with in-home child care handle their school age children's schedules? I recall my mom transporting after school/ K kids, but she had help (she had a big in home program, I'm talking 2-3 kids). Is that sometimes part and parcel to the in-home care model? Transporting other people's children in order to drop off or pick up your own from school? Or do you think that is a deal-breaker? I'm sure it would just depend on the individual parents. I just wonder  how other in-home childcare providers who have their own children handle that part!

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience? thank you!

#2 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would there be greater insurance needs if you drove children in your car on a regular basis, or would that just be covered under your own auto insurance?  That might be something to check out.  I know babysitters who transport children (or I knew some), but they didn't carry insurance for an in-home business, which I am assuming you would be doing.

#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Viola- where I live the terms for in home care are really... laid back. I don't have to even get a care provider license for 7 or less children in my care! ( I would get one anyway, geeze), and since I'm only considering 2 kids or so, from what I could find it doesn't effect car insurance... Which seems strange to me, but I would be willing to get better insurance if need be. Still on the fence about this, I was just curious what others thought about needing to transport children while they are in your care. It would be nice to know I have the option (realistically) to make an income this way, in case that is something I feel I need to do! DH is trying to get me to help with a lot of computer-based stuff, but it's hit or miss if it will be profitable any time soon. We shall see! Thank you :)

#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Viola- where I live the terms for in home care are really... laid back. I don't have to even get a care provider license for 7 or less children in my care! ( I would get one anyway, geeze), and since I'm only considering 2 kids or so, from what I could find it doesn't effect car insurance... Which seems strange to me, but I would be willing to get better insurance if need be. Still on the fence about this, I was just curious what others thought about needing to transport children while they are in your care. It would be nice to know I have the option (realistically) to make an income this way, in case that is something I feel I need to do! DH is trying to get me to help with a lot of computer-based stuff, but it's hit or miss if it will be profitable any time soon. We shall see! Thank you :)

#5 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM

So I was given an opportunity to rent my friend's house and run an in-home daycare out of it. It has been my dream for the last 18months. 

Here is the huge thing im a single mom of 2 (4 & 6 yr old boys) i don't get any child support or anything. so all of this will be on me. My friend was licensed in that home for about 6months, she is moving out of state. I'm trying my best to think of everything so i don't walk in to this blindly and then fail and get "stuck." she believes i can "make it" with 5 kids at about $150 a week. im trying to think of how much EVERYTHING will cost me. she is leaving all the day care stuff for me. I would like to do preschool aged, and eventually go group. i know her house is big enough for group in new york state, and i would be able to have 12 kids (one being mine) i would also like to become naccra approved b?c we live right by an army base. I don't have a degree how ever i have worked in a center for the past year and i was my Friends sub, we were going to do group day care together, however she wasn't organized enough to quite make it work. I do have a savings account so i can struggle for a few months. Im trying to think of everything and pray on it alot to make sure this is the right choice. please any insight would be good! also IF i do this and i make too much money to qualify for medicaid or NY family health plus i will have to think of health insurance for my 2 boys & i. thank you for your suggestions and in site.

and BTW, b4 anything is done my friend & I will have a rent agreement written up so we are both protected, it not just going to be word of mouth, i have seen too many people's court shows to know that doing business w/ friends doesn't always have a happy ending.

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 AM

wow i haven't been on here in a while, just noticed my sig doesn't match anything i said.....i just updated it so i don't look like im making up stories.....lol

#7 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM

ok NM sig didn't change yet....will work on that

#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

knottypug- I grew up in an in-home preschool! My mom had a home childcare from the time I was 2 until I was 16. She actually had her bachelor's degree and now had her master's and teaches child development at the college. Guess what? She said she mad MORE money as an in-home care provider than she dose as a tenured college teacher. I think if you manage it well, it can actually be good income. One of the complicated parts is handling your own taxes, but the upside to doing in-home is that so much is a write off. while food and supplies can cost you, a lot or all of it is written off along with other overhead. The down sides? when you take on that many children you work long days, typically 12 hours and that doesn't include all of the shopping, cleaning, planning, etc. Again though, if your own children are home with you often it is "worth it" because you actually get to spend more time at home with them- that's why my mom did it. I would be way lest hesitant for doing this if I had a bigger home- my mom used our family room and living room, and we dodn't have a family room or extra bedroom. I am only considering 2 kids because I am uncertain about needing to transport my own. I actually was considering opening a center up when I was pregnant with my last but we couldn't find an available space for lease meeting state requirements for a preschool (centers vs in-home are pretty different). There are things like the damn SEWER CAP FEES in some cities- in my hometown they are a one-time fee of $265 PER CHILD and employee- even in home! so if you have 12 kids you have to pay that up front. Fortunately we now live in a neighboring city that doesn't require that, you just pay a higher sewer bill. There are a lot of local and state supports for in-home centers, you should look around- once you get licensed etc (requires fire & safety checks) you can get on lists that resource centers have, possibly get certified for child care assistance payments (that low income parents use to pay childcare) and food nutrition programs where they supplement money for buying healthy foods for kids in your program. it's a lot of paperwork but helps a ton with expenses. 

As far as other start up costs, there are a lot of low-cost creative ways to set up a preschool. Thrift & yard sale furniture, being selective about toys and art supplies, craigslist, making things, etc. There are a lot of good books, websites, etc about setting up environments. Your main expenses every month are going to be food, cleaning/householed supplies, and school supplies. you can always build on/upgrade your toys, games, books, furniture etc as you go along. Filling 12 spots may take awhile, but if childcare is needed in your area, it is often easy to find clients. I started seriously considering it when my son's after school care center (he goes there for IBI therapy but they have a normal preschool there too) kept asking if ihad considered taking younger kids to watch because they were turning away kids almost every day who were under 3 (they only take 3 & up), not to mention the younger siblings of some of their kids.

Tags
Wahm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page