Would this dinner idea save you time and money? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have an idea for an online business: lots of moms love to cook, but A) have a hard time coming up with new meal ideas every night and B) are too busy to browse through magazines to find recipes, let alone do grocery shopping once or twice a week. What if you could get on a website and browse a selection of healthy and unique meals, and when you buy them the ingredients are delivered to your house and the recipe is emailed to you? And the meals would serve 4 for $20. Would this be something that would be interesting and helpful to you? I read the forum rules and don't want to be spammy or abusive so I'm not trying to drum up customers, just interested in hearing any feedback or insights you might have. Let me know if this belongs in a different place. Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

There is a work at home moms (WAHMs) section where you might get more responses, but my thoughts...

I like the idea! I have a few questions; I imagine you have already thought of all this, but wondered how you would do it. Would you assume people already had certain staples - salt, sugar, soy sauce, I don't know what all? Would you buy in bulk and divide it up (everyone gets chicken and broccoli teriyaki one night) or shop daily for whatever orders you get? Would you need orders to be placed in advance? Would some one have to be home to accept the delivery? That might rule out some working mothers, I don't know. Would you offer to do other shopping as well ("could you pick me up a gallon of milk while you are out?"). 

Generally, I think the idea is creative and innovative. I doubt I would use your service personally, but I could imagine some families might. Especially someone with a bunch of Littles - it would be a relief not to have to shop occasionally. 

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 PM

I want a step further. I want someone to do the cooking for me! Lol! Truly, I fail on all of those steps a lot of the time. And I'm trying to spend the afternoon time (after 3) I do have with my kids actually with them rather than cooking! I have thought about following some websites with such plans (recipe part at least) and the problem I have run into is that they don't know the picky habits of our household (I don't do peas, DH doesn't do peppers, etc), and I quickly give up on constantly having to think about modifying. Or, the main course doesn't say what sides to serve, and I don't have any bright ideas for those. I did a stint with a company where you pick meals, you go to the place and prep then into packages to then freeze and later cook. That worked well for a while, until I had DS1 who had a dairy allergy, and then we couldn't eat anything with dairy. With DS2 it was dairy and soy I had to avoid. Not easy dealing with allergies! Luckily, they have now outgrown the sensitivities. Anyway, just some food for thought!

ETA I saw this post in new posts page. You would definitely not be targeting a frugal clientele with this idea, but people who are spending more $$ than they should/want to on take out so you could charge enough but would still be lowering their dinner bills to make it worth it.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncreativeChef View Post

Would this be something that would be interesting and helpful to you?

No, I don't think it would be something I would be interested in. I feel very little need or desire for "new meal ideas every night". I think my family does well w/ a rotation of about 10 to 15 meals that my DH & I know how to cook without recipes and we have cookbooks & the internet to find stuff for ourselves.   Left-overs are also important in oyr family, so almost every supper = next day's lunch.

I also wonder about the price-point -  20 USD for a meal for 4 people.

To cover your labor & gas - seems kinds of low. With ingredients (say 8$ & that would be a very cheap meal ) and your work behind the scenes & delivery - it's hard to see how you'd be making more than minimum wage.

#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

There is a work at home moms (WAHMs) section where you might get more responses, but my thoughts...

I like the idea! I have a few questions; I imagine you have already thought of all this, but wondered how you would do it. Would you assume people already had certain staples - salt, sugar, soy sauce, I don't know what all? Would you buy in bulk and divide it up (everyone gets chicken and broccoli teriyaki one night) or shop daily for whatever orders you get? Would you need orders to be placed in advance? Would some one have to be home to accept the delivery? That might rule out some working mothers, I don't know. Would you offer to do other shopping as well ("could you pick me up a gallon of milk while you are out?"). 

Generally, I think the idea is creative and innovative. I doubt I would use your service personally, but I could imagine some families might. Especially someone with a bunch of Littles - it would be a relief not to have to shop occasionally. 

Thanks so much for the reply mamarhu! I really appreciate the ideas. I'll check out the WAHMs sections for sure.

To answer a few of your questions:

Currently all of the meals have everything included. I cook very healthy and don't usually use lots of extra sauces or seasonings. In the future if additional things are required, they'll either be available as an add-on purchase (there's currently a section where you can add single items to your order like bread, milk, and eggs) or the product page will say "this meal requires that you have soy sauce."

Delivery is done by a local grocery store so you can order anything from our selection on any night, and ingredients will always be fresh. Someone has to be home to accept the delivery but times are super flexible.

If you have any ideas about how to best connect with people who would like this service I'd love to hear them. Thanks again!

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post

I want a step further. I want someone to do the cooking for me! 

I would if I could! Maybe down the road I'll try to add some feature where people can apply to be our official chef in each city we serve and they cook and deliver ready-to-eat meals. Until then though, this is my way of helping families spend more time together. I'm a 28 year old childless dude, but I had this idea because growing up my family always ate together at the dinner table (and even though two of three children are grown and moved out we still eat together at least once a week) and those meals have been invaluable in keeping us very close. I'd like to think my business can help facilitate some quality time at the dinner table. 

Here's an article I wrote on the same subject: http://www.comebackmomma.com/benefits-of-the-family-dinner/

#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

No, I don't think it would be something I would be interested in. I feel very little need or desire for "new meal ideas every night". I think my family does well w/ a rotation of about 10 to 15 meals that my DH & I know how to cook without recipes and we have cookbooks & the internet to find stuff for ourselves.   Left-overs are also important in oyr family, so almost every supper = next day's lunch.

I also wonder about the price-point -  20 USD for a meal for 4 people.

To cover your labor & gas - seems kinds of low. With ingredients (say 8$ & that would be a very cheap meal ) and your work behind the scenes & delivery - it's hard to see how you'd be making more than minimum wage.

Thanks skreader! I appreciate the insight. My mom always used to complain that she loved cooking but felt like she was stuck in a rut cooking the same things. I figured she couldn't be the only one that thought this way which is where the idea came from.

As far as the price point, delivery is done by a local grocery store and there are extra shipping costs (usually around $8 per 3 meals). 

#8 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM

I would consider using a service like this and I could also stop by a store and pick up the stuff as long as it was all ready to go too as I think getting it delivered would be problematic for me since both DH & I work and we don't get home at set times. I wouldn't use it every day, but I could see using it about once a week as there always seems to be at least one day a week where we can't think of anything to make, but for me I'd have to be able to order that day, hopefully an hour or two before I needed the stuff, though I could probably do 4 hours before, not sure if that works. Also, does this allow you to adjust the serving amount up (with a price increase of course), either for larger families or folks who want leftovers?

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#9 of 9 Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Moving this thread to the WAHM as it is better suited to find ideas there.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30********40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page