Mothering Forum banner

Balance - work and play

Tags
wahm
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jengaldnik 
#1 ·
Hi ladies!

How do you balance your day with work and spending time with your child(ren)?

Do you have a schedule that you try to stick with? If so could you offer some examples?

#2 ·
I have a schedule based basically on carpooling. I drop the kids off at school and get to the apothecary, sometimes stopping for coffee on the way, and get started. I check email really quick then get started on soapmaking and herbal stuff. This is altered slightly depending on if I have clients coming in that day.

#3 ·
We home school in the mornings. Right now that means that I do Algebra with Dylan first then go over what he is doing for his 2 charter school classes (chemistry and humanities on Mondays and Wednesdays) and his at home projects (literature and history). When that's done (usually by 10 am; we start between 8:30 and 9 am), I start working. I'm available if he has questions or wants to discuss something. One day a week, usually Tuesdays, I go into the shop to cut (I do contract sewing of re enactment clothing for a company that specializes in 9th through 15th century clothing and re enactment goods). I work about 5-6 hours a day (mid morning, break for lunch, work afternoon with breaks for discussions and exercise), stop for dinner, work a few hours in the evenings, done at 10 pm), 6 days a week, for a total of 30-36 hours a week. Sundays are family time.

When I work, except for the one day a week at the shop (and even then that is somewhat flexible if I or my boss need to change the day because of schedule conflicts), is totally up to me as long as the work is done by the deadline. Ideally what gets cut on Tuesday is finished and delivered the following Tuesday.

Reactions: mama025
#6 ·
Things have changed this year like they have a tendency to do. Nothing is ever set in stone. Especially when it comes to parenting children. Dylan is a senior this year and he has taken over most of his education. I'm still available if needed but my hands-on days of home schooling are at an end. This year I have my oldest grandchild (in 5th grade) after school several days a week. Other than providing snacks, he doesn't need much supervision. I've switched my work schedule to running errands in the morning as needed. I still work 6-7 hours a day in 2-3 hour intervals. That will never end as I find it nearly impossible to sew for any longer than that without a break. Since my husband had Labor Day off from his job, I took the day off as well. Angela (3rd dd), Dylan and I had fun watching a movie together. So much so that we decided to make it a regular thing on Monday nights since that is one of her days off from work. Of all my children, she is the one that I see the least. Probably because she is the one without kids so there are no grandkids to watch like there is with the other two.

#7 ·
Greetings from Iowa!/ Driving for Uber?

Hey Ladies!

My name is Jennifer and I am new to this forum! I have a 2 year old named Titus who keeps me very busy, but seeing his big blue eyes at the end of a day always makes it worth it!!

I guess I'll start with my first post about how I make some money! I drive for Uber, and it is a good way to earn some "fun money" if you will!

From other forums I am on, it seems like the best ways to make money are something like this or through selling mary kay and things of that nature. Anyone have any thoughts?? It is so hard to make extra income for Titus with my hectic schedule!

- Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.