Advertising on your car - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I want to advertise on my car and know there are a few different ways. I saw a place where I can order just one bumper sticker. But I am wondering about those sticky letters. Can I just buy them somewhere and stick them on? I don't think a bumper sticker alone is the best and don't necessarily want a sign in my window. Anyone know where to get them?
#2 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:13 PM

you know whats really sweet? my husband is gunna order one of those large square magnent signs you put on your car door. so when he is driving around while at work (self employed painter/paper hanger) he can have the sign on his truck/van...but then take it off if he wants to any other time. I was gunna get one for me (I have a non-toxic/organic cleaning business) but I drive a saturn, which has fake (non metal) doors, so a magnant wouldnt stick to it
I will try to find a link...and post it.

I dont even know how much they are...but they seem pretty cool.
#3 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've seen a few places that have things for your car... I know I'm alot of help here, hehe, but I have no clue where they were. After I saw the price I immediately left, it was hundreds of dollars. I made myself a bumpersticker at cafepress.com and it cost me like $4. Not *the* best advertising, but hey for $4 you can't go wrong!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#4 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:17 PM

okay, the first google link I found...not bad, maybe $50 bucks? as long as it doesnt get stolen

http://www.magneticsigns.com/

here's some more

http://www.custom-magnets.com/car_door_magnets.htm
http://www.1st-political-yard-signs....tic-signs.html
I guess I would also make sure they werent just glueing a paper sign on a magnet...but who would do that?
#5 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:25 PM

my husband runs a sign shop, and magnetic signs do run you around $50 a pair, but they do get stolen ALOT. my suggestion is to order ready to apply (RTA) vinyl lettering for your back window. i think bumper stickers go unnoticed much of the time, but a lettered back or side window does get more attention.
#6 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to do a search or vinly lettering, until then i anyone knows where to get some, let me know.
Gracias
#7 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 05:30 PM

i've been thinking about this for *years* now. But everytime I'm just about to buy one, I have a bad day in the car. I'm so afraid that I'll accidentally cut someone off in traffic, and it will reflect badly on my business. I guess that's kinda silly- what's the worst that could happen- they don't buy anything from me?? :LOL

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#8 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 05:42 PM

You can get the vinyl letters for your car at any decent auto supply place in your town. Or you could just make your own and use Aileen's spray adhesive (sp?) to stick them on...it's temporary or permanent depending on how you apply it. Heck, you could even use the precut letters at walmart or the dollar tree and stick them to the inside with the spray.
Kinda OT: We had a truck that we tinted the back window and we wrote DH's nickname in lighter tint than the rest of the window. Took the darkest tint, cut the name out and then took a lighter tint and cut the name out and put it in the hole in the darkest. Did that make any sense??
Anyways...there's lots of options :LOL
#9 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 06:25 PM

You can get the magnets at office depot in different sizes for not much $.
#10 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa
my husband runs a sign shop, and magnetic signs do run you around $50 a pair, but they do get stolen ALOT.
Really?! I was concerned more with them damaging my paint (which I've heard is a possibility) and never stopped to think about the potential pranking involved...

still, it's kinda funny... :LOL
#11 of 16 Old 05-25-2004, 10:23 PM

OT
now i dont acually know anything about this, maybe someone here can confirm or correct me on this.
if you have your own business and put advertising on your car, cant you "write off" the cost of the advertisment as well as possibly the whole car as a business expense, or was someone pulling my leg?
#12 of 16 Old 05-26-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
if you have your own business and put advertising on your car, cant you "write off" the cost of the advertisment as well as possibly the whole car as a business expense, or was someone pulling my leg?
Some things tend to be different in the US but in Canada yes you can. Any advertising(including car decals) is a business write off. Also if you calculate the portion of your vehicle you use for business purposes you can take that amount of insurance, plates, gas, repairs, oil changes, loans and use it as a write off. You can also write off the portion of the cost of your drivers liscence. Even if you don't put advertising on your vehicle if you use it for business purposes you can write the above mentioned things off.
#13 of 16 Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
Really?! I was concerned more with them damaging my paint (which I've heard is a possibility) and never stopped to think about the potential pranking involved...

still, it's kinda funny... :LOL
Yeah, it does create some repeat business for him: people needing replacement magnets because theirs disappeared.
As far as them damaging paint, as long as you remove them periodically and clean under them, that isn't usually a concern. There will be slight fading though if you have them on long-term.
You can get the hardware store letters, but really if you're advertising your business, I would think you'd want to project the most professional image possible. JMHO!
#14 of 16 Old 05-26-2004, 01:28 AM

I wouldn't go with the cheap looking block letters, either. I was talking about the fancy letters you can get at the auto shops. Ppl that customize their cars use them all the time.
#15 of 16 Old 05-26-2004, 02:40 AM

Here are some sites I have been considering:

http://webdecal.com/index.shtml
http://www.domainplates.com/products.html

I also plan to ask my local graphics and sign shop how much they charge to do this. It might be worth the extra money if I can make a local contact.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#16 of 16 Old 05-26-2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa
Yeah, it does create some repeat business for him: people needing replacement magnets because theirs disappeared.

yeah, I bet its the sign shop people who are stealing the magnets...and then just selling them back to the 'repeat' business, lol

I am on to you guys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page