Instock vs. custom shopping carts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-16-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out a shopping cart, or carts for my site. When I go to look at different shopping carts, I get confused as to exactly what each one is capable of. (Oh, and I'm not interested in wahmshoppes.)

I need one that is capable of doing custom orders with drop down menus for choices, such as size, colors, etc. Mals does this right? What about paypal? any other preferable free or cheaper ones?

What about instock - meaning the cart marks something as sold when there is no more inventory of that product. I need it to sell seconds, and already made products. Does mals do this? Paypal? Others?

Does osCommerce do both?
#2 of 16 Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 PM

I use oscommerce and it does not do the instock thing you need without extensive modification to the files. And even now, it doesn't quite work right for me on the admin side but I can live with it. For the custom stuff, with oscommerce you can have as many different options as you want - drop down lists, radio boxes, check boxes - but if you want to have just a text field where someone writes what fabric they want or any special instructions, you have to do some extensive file modifications.

I used to use wahmshoppes and stopped for certain reasons, but I have to admit I liked the way the shopping cart functioned with the options and inventory management.

I don't know about the others and am curious if there is one out there that's cheap or free and works that way without having to hack the files apart.
#3 of 16 Old 07-16-2004, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I use oscommerce and it does not do the instock thing you need without extensive modification to the files. And even now, it doesn't quite work right for me on the admin side but I can live with it.
Have you the inventory control set up the admin correctly? We used to use oscommerce (and currently use an OScommerce fork) and have always had inventory tracking for our instock store... including marking sold items as sold out and not allowing check out.
#4 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 01:13 AM

Check out litecommerce. It does inventory tracking by product options. You can also do custom orders via product options.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#5 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 01:14 AM

Yes, sorry, I didn't make that very clear did I? Yes, it controls inventory, but not for each option of a particular product. So if you have small, medium and large of a type of diaper and you want to have a drop-down list so people can choose their size, it won't keep inventory of each size. You would have to enter each print, and each size as separate products and it's a big PITA.
#6 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 01:21 AM

ah yes... that is true OScommerce is not capable of that yet. I hadnt even thought of that since its not really an issue for us as our stuff is one of a kind sort of, lol.

I havent tried litecommerce, but we did try Xcart (which is the bigger version of litecommerce) and it failed miserable when hit with "hyena traffic" and crashed our database, lol.
#7 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 01:38 AM

Yikes! That's strange. I have seen it run on large sites without a problem. I'm curious what your server configuration was.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#8 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!

As far as inventory control, that wouldn't actually have any options. The diaper is how it is, already made, with no options. I just don't want to sell more than one item if I only have one of that diaper. The options would be for people to use when making a custom order. No inventory control needed there, unless it was for a custom "slot", not just a custom order in general. Make sense?

I suppose I could just do a regular cgi form for custom orders, I just wouldn't have any way to take "secure" credit card numbers that way. I could just say that I'll send them a confirmation and an "invoice" from paypal. then Mals or oscommerce, or zen cart (anybody heard of that one?) could do the instock part.
#9 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Yikes! That's strange. I have seen it run on large sites without a problem. I'm curious what your server configuration was.
Nothing was wrong with our server configuration... we actually own our server and Xcart was the only cart to completely crash (with the exception of clickcartpro which also crashed, but was likely because it was perl/cgi instead of php and was too slow). We had previously used OScommerce without any server problems and have not had any problems with the OScommerce fork we are using now.

Again, this is just for Xcart - litecommerce could be completely different in terms of its reliability when hit with many php/mysql requests at once since its a lighter version
#10 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 04:08 AM

What version of x-cart were you running?

#11 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 04:47 PM

hmmm... I dont rember the exact version number... but I know that 4.0 just came out, so it was the version before that We were just using it a month or 2 ago.
#12 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 PM

I am working with zen cart as well. It is based on OSCommerce, but is a breeze to customize, comparatively.

Just had a client choose zen over x-cart, because zen allows customers to order less than 1 item. (She is a fabric shop and wants to price her items by the yard, but needs for people to be able to order .25 yards, or .50 or 3.75 yards, for example.)

Regarding x-cart, this is why I chose it for myself: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...3&page=1&pp=25

#13 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 09:51 PM

yep, i love zen cart - thats what we currently are using I just wish they would hurry up with the upgrade cause I'd like that paypal IPN function.... but overall its a much better cart than OScommerce.
#14 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

nak

What's the paypal IPN function?

So, zen cart can do both instock, and custom?
#15 of 16 Old 07-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Using paypal with a shopping cart often causes problems if your customer doesnt hit the continue button on the paypal website after paying you.... if they neglect to do this Paypal.com doesnt redirect them back to your site and put their order into your database.... So you would have money, but no order, no order emails, and things could easily oversell. Paypal IPN is a payment module that prevents that from happening

Yes, zen cart could do both instock and custom, however for both OScommerce and Zencart you need a bit of programming knowledge to make it work successfully and to be fully customized... IMO. HTH!
#16 of 16 Old 07-18-2004, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Tiffany! Yes, that helps very much.

As far as the programming goes, I'm going to put dh to the task. He does php at work and is a unix/linux programmer. Once we get past html, it's all greek to me! I just didn't want to waste his time on a cart if it didn't even do what I needed it to do.

Oh, and that is good to know about the paypal cart. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page