WAHMs...what do you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am sitting at my comp, procrastinating and avoiding gettting down to business and doing some work and it got me wondering:

What do the WAHMs of MDC do to earn a living?

I know that many of you have web-based businesses, but are there any others like me? I work for an internet marketing company that does web-related work mostly for bed and breakfast inns. I do writing for websites and other odd jobs to get B&Bs a strong web presence. I love what I do because while I get to work at home (though I am just a WAHWife at this point) and set my own hours for the most part (ocassionally a deadline will cramp my style!), but someone else tells me what I need to be doing. I don't have to motivate myself, really. Its very cool.

The thing I love the most is that the company I work for is based in Colorado and I live in PA! My SIL and her MIL work for the same company and got me involved once they were established. I just think that its neat to work for a couple that lives so far away. I've only met my boss once!

So, what are some of the things that you WAHMs do to earn your $$$?

Meg
#2 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make baby slings and occaisionally sell Tupperware. I used to do some data entry at home, but it was way too dull and stressful for me. Stressful just because I didn't want to do it and then would be rushing at the last minute to try to get it done.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#3 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:17 PM

I work for a facility maintenance company based out of NYC, I am here in MA. I do billing and collections, order entry, and any other office support that is needed on a day to day basis. I work Monday to Friday 10:00am to 2:00pm. Usually during that time my toddler gets in a 1.5-3 hour nap, and that is when I make my phone calls.

I also own my own company. I have a costume rental business that operates from the Renaissance Faire here in MA. I have been doing that for 12 years now. It is seasonal, just for 8 weeks in the fall, but it really brings in extra $$ at a good time of year. I on occasion make custom, historical/fantasy themed wedding attire, but have not done too much of that in the last year or 2. I got to find the time to get back into that, it's good money!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#4 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM

I can't wait to get my business off the ground. Will do so in a couple months, just need to take a few more official steps as I have a lot my stock in.
I'll be starting an online business of vintage clothing for infants and plus size women. The toughest part will be parting with the gorgeous clothing.

~Daednu
#5 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wemoon...where do you sell your slings? I'm going to try to convice my SIL to try her hand at making them once she has some babies, even if she just makes them for herslef and me

I agree, Kerlowyn...very cool! I don't doubt that it brings in some good money too.

CarrieBeary...I actually used to do Mary kay too, but I could NOT motivate myself to get out there, ever! Thats why I like what I do now :
#6 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDaednu
I can't wait to get my business off the ground. Will do so in a couple months, just need to take a few more official steps as I have a lot my stock in.
I'll be starting an online business of vintage clothing for infants and plus size women. The toughest part will be parting with the gorgeous clothing.

~Daednu
ooooh! You will have to keep us posted on this...sounds wonderful!

Meg
#7 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:24 PM

Sounds like a great job!

I am a holistic veterinarian and do phone consultations (while playing with my baby with the other hand - though today she slept on my lap through the entire thing which was great) and mail out holistic supplements like vitamins, herbs, homeopathic remedies.

Not currently seeing clients but I did see a few clients on a trip back to where we used to live last week and my dh took care of her and will start to see local clients again when we move back (hopefully SOON!)

Look forward to hearing what other people do!

Who stole my signature!
#8 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
:LOL Me too!!! But I've felt more motivated lately, so I feel better about it! We're moving to a new town in a month or so and I just think it's going to be a good thing for me, business wise! If you need any products, let me know. I have a website.
I totally realte to that...when I decided to stop, I told DH that we would have to move for me to get going again! I need more anonymity than being a consultant gives!

PM me with your web address...I will defintely remember you when I need to stock up!
#9 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:45 PM

I am a pet groomer and grom a few dogs at home. I don't advertise. Many of my clients were regulars before I had my baby. It has grown from word of mouth but is still very much part time. I don't want to do much more than I am doing right now.

I also kept a full day of work on Saturday at the animal hospital. It funds our retirement account and keeps my employee discount going for my own vet care. (I do alot of alternative stuff so don't need the mainstream vet often but when I do, the discount is great!)

Destinye, how much request is ther for holistic veterinary services? I imagine alot of what you do is educate educate educate!!!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#10 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer
I am a pet groomer and grom a few dogs at home. I don't advertise. Many of my clients were regulars before I had my baby. It has grown from word of mouth but is still very much part time. I don't want to do much more than I am doing right now.

I also kept a full day of work on Saturday at the animal hospital. It funds our retirement account and keeps my employee discount going for my own vet care. (I do alot of alternative stuff so don't need the mainstream vet often but when I do, the discount is great!)

Destinye, how much request is ther for holistic veterinary services? I imagine alot of what you do is educate educate educate!!!
Hi PuppyFluffer (great name!)

I actually have a lot of requests and when I lived in TX had a waiting list and could not take new clients. I do get a lot of people though turn to holistic treatment when things are very advanced. Definitely a lot of education though but I have a lot of clients who have learned and their animals are so healthy when raised this way from the start so its very rewarding in that case.

I do think people generally are becoming very tired of all the drugs and side effects and chemicals for themselves and their animals, and the Internet is helping educate people too.

Who stole my signature!
#11 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinye
their animals are so healthy when raised this way from the start so its very rewarding in that case.

I do think people generally are becoming very tired of all the drugs and side effects and chemicals for themselves and their animals, and the Internet is helping educate people too.
Not to hijack my own thread , but do you know any websites off the top of your head that would start me in the right direction for learning about this? I'm very interested!
#12 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM

Destinysmama

Thats so cool you named your dd Destiny (I just use it as a screen name but love it!)

Destinye

Who stole my signature!
#13 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks
#14 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRear
Wemoon...where do you sell your slings? I'm going to try to convice my SIL to try her hand at making them once she has some babies, even if she just makes them for herslef and me
I have a website Can't post it though because of forum rules.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#15 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon
I have a website Can't post it though because of forum rules.
No problem...I wasn't fishing to get you in trouble! The general answer you gave was just fine !
#16 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 06:35 PM

You sure you wern't trying to get me in trouble? :LOL

#17 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm positive!

Shhhhhh...and about the thing which we aren't supposed to be discussing...I found it and bookmarked it! Shhhh!
#18 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:34 PM

:LOL

#19 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 PM

hi all. well out in the paid work force out of home i was a trainer and wellness consultant as well as teaching spinning classes. now at home..i am lost as to what i'll do. considering before and after school care for other's kids, i like to quilt and sew, and draw and paint murals for my kids...but mostly do that as a hobby for my family. Considering starting a diaper washing buisiness but havent looked into alot about it, and i am a tupperware fiend....so maybe thats an option. i like this thread, it gives me courage with ideas. you women are very strong.
#20 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Jenn...

Do you have any interest in continuing, on some level, the same line of work you did out-of-the-home? I would think there would be at least some demand for wellness consulting and even "hands-off" training that you could do from home. Helping women (moms?) come up with plans of attack for getting into shape, living healthier and that sort of thing. Maybe even "family plans" for those of us who want to be active with kids, but for whom it doesn't come naturally.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I had immediately when I read this post and I thought I would throw them out to you!

Meg
#21 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:46 PM

Tupperware is a good company to work with, but I really, really don't recommend that someone who does not have child care to go into it hardcore. You cannot bring your children with you when you do parties, or even when you meet with hosts etc because it would be too distracting and *unprofessional*. I totally just do it on the side, and only sell enough to support my own TW habit! But as far as home party stuff goes, TW is fairly inexpensive to start in and it isn't really hard core with *rules* etc (like I know MK is...not to knock any MK ladies, my SIL does it and the things she tells me just sounds unreal!). There are lots of home party places to look into, one thing you can do is do a search on the my.tupperware site and see how many consultants are in your area (you could do this with most any company I would think), then you would know if the market is totally saturated or not. But from statistics I've heard...that for any home party biz, only about 20% of the population has been touched by it. So that leaves alot of biz opportunities. Good luck!

#22 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 07:59 PM

I make zippered wet bags for cloth diapers and I make little girls' dresses from vintage and recycled linens and clothing. I sell through several websites and occasionally at craft fairs.
#23 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 08:03 PM

wow.. yeah i will check out that tupperware site, womoon. thx

MPRear...as for continuing with health and wellness from home, i guess that the internet market has always intimidated me. If there was enough of a demand it would be something i would consider greatly. i dont understand enough about ecommerce enough yet, though. it would be a fun project

MamaDaednu...wow that is a wonderful idea. send me your site when that gets off the ground. i would love to buy vintage for baby birthdays...etc
#24 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Like Meg, I'm a WAHWife -- I freelance doing graphic design and public relations, which I've been doing for a little over 4 years.

I'm also finishing off my pattern for knitting soakers and wool shorts/pants, which I hope to start knitting and selling by January (but I have a ton of projects to finish first).

I enjoy the graphic design aspect of work, but when you work on the computer all the time, MDC and email can become very distracting! I aim to work three days a week, but lately it's been more than that and for a couple months this fall/winter I'll probably be working 5+ days a week, as I've got some cool projects (with not-so-cool deadlines) coming up.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#25 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 PM

I teach online English classes for two different colleges.

I also manage a website and do some other adminstrative stuff for a non-profit group.

I'm starting a Kindermusik business in a couple of weeks, which really isn't all at-home, but my kids can come with me to that, so it works well.
#26 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 09:10 PM

I take care of a little boy that is Williams age, I also take care of DH's auntie on Wednesday nights for 2 hours, its a few bucks and its family. And I also do web design for wahms, and locally owned companies.
#27 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 10:22 PM

I sell Discovery Toys and I work 2 mornings a week at our community Resource Center providing daycare for people taking ESL classes (that's not in the home, but I can bring my kid).
#28 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM

I'm a freelance reporter/editor for a local newspaper. My editor gives me stories that can be done from phone interviews.
#29 of 82 Old 08-09-2004, 11:26 PM

These are such cool careers, mamas!

I do medical transcription, which I've done for the last 14 years, just the last 6 months FT at home. Before that, I've done the gamut from PT at home to FT in the office. I've been kind of down about it lately as it doesn't ring my chimes anymore and isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I've had so many changes in the past couple years, though, I'm afraid to make any major job changes because we really need the $$$ I bring in and most of the time I bring in more than DH does (though not counting his "side job work").

I've thought about branching out into ghostwriting/editorial work as I have done some of that through work and for friends (writing killer resumes and cover letters and editing term papers) but am pretty intimidated about starting. I've done direct selling for two different companies and frankly, I suck at it. So I'm a little scared to "be my own boss" or be an entrepreneur.....you mamas have some pretty inspiring stories.
#30 of 82 Old 08-10-2004, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon
You sure you wern't trying to get me in trouble? :LOL
Like you need any help with that, wemoon
bwah ha ha

I own a restaurant, and avoid working shifts now (at first I worked EVERY night but I missed my babes)...now I'm doing the books & shopping for the restaurant--after hours cleaning when the kids are in bed, painting, etc.

I would love to get into murals, and am currently working on one in the preschool my little one goes to.

The Kindermusik thing sounds good to me too...I think I'll google it now...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page