And Another Wholesale/Resale Question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay... I'd love some btdt advice as well as speculation... just wondering what to do about exposure in wholesaling... do you think it's wise to limit how many people/wahm's/stores resell your product? In my case, a cd'ing item. Do you think it would be wise to limit the number of resellers you accept? Overexposure could be bad, I'm thinking- I mean, do you think too many stores could carry it and then the demand would decrease? I don't know- all these thoughts are popping into my head- I just accepted 3 new resellers this past couple of weeks and I just got a new email so I'm wondering what all your thoughts are on this and what I should do...
TIA!

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 PM

I think starting small and building bigger is the best way to do it. You can always reevvaluate your plan when things start picking up. A business is ever evolving and ever changing and so it is best to constantly evaluate how things are done and how it is effecting the business.
#3 of 6 Old 08-25-2004, 12:24 PM

I think the number of places you take should depend on how much you can produce . You want to make sure you can supply in a reasonable time. You also might want to look at the customer profiles of the sites you are provideing. Different people cater to different clients so you might want to limit the number of sellers who supply the same type of client. Example some specialize in fleece loving clients, some in wool, some in prefolds.....
#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 AM

You can always grow but it's hard to downsize. I do think that it's a good thing to have fewer retailers at first- it keeps your products special. Iron out any kinks and then you'll be set to broaden.

Plus, WAHM's are the original hyenas and they will want your stuff!
#5 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 AM

I always think it's quality not quantity. But I disagree that you can't downsize because you can, and sometimes that works better and more efficent than if you stayed big.

Imagine exactly where you want your product to be and find a way to get it there. Set your goal and stick to it. Big or small, it should be based on your goal of what you want...what feels right.

I've had businesses both ways: one where I wanted it to stay smaller and one with high growth. Both were planned that way. Both were right for where they were.

Hope that helps.
#6 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 AM

Read E-Myth by Michael Gerber

I also disagree with start small grow big. Sorry.

Read E-Myth. Put everything aside and dream of how you see your business perfect...making you happy...helping others...etc... Dream big. Set your plan. Execute it small (or large if you're brave) steps, however you're comfortable...but always have that goal you're reaching for.

I think it's all about vision. If you get in the car and drive with no destination where will you go? Maybe lots of great places, maybe not, but either way you're just along for the ride. If you get in the car and plan to see all kinds of wonderful sights on your way to ...Timbucktoo. Odds are you'll get to Timbucktoo because it's in your sights. (Sorry I'm not wording this exactly right. I hope you follow anyway.)

Read E-Myth...it's good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page