what to expect when you first go "live"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, i just have the bare bones of my site up and have a banner running. I am so anxious, i'm not sure what to expect- something, or nothing. I have done some craft shows and did not do so well overall, because it such a small segment of the overall craft fair goers that i am targeting. But, i get great, great feedback. So, I kind of feel like I've put all my eggs in the web basket, and am afraid that I am going to be disappointed.

So for those of you who have been around for awhile- what's it like in the beginning? What kind of mindset is helpful to have?

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#2 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 02:01 PM

I just saw your site last night and tried to figure out what the pants things were but couldnt find a good explination. I now see that you have a typed out description, but Im not good with reading things, so maybe add a picture "how to" for people like me, LOL
#3 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, that's great feedback (and i'll take more!) its so hard when you've been working with something *so* closely to step back and see it with new eyes.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#4 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 02:33 PM

can you call them 'leg warmers', or mention the term? I'm assuming that's what they are... Nice site!

susie
#5 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Ame

re: what to expect
  • pacing
  • cold sweats
  • compulsive checking of email

#6 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame
  • pacing
  • cold sweats

can I add the incessant volleyball match of voices in my head arguing about whether or not this is really a good idea?

spearso....yes, I am constantly reviewing and updating the site and was thinking that i should make that analogy. Part of my reasoning with not just calling them legwarmers is that I didnt' want the image of the 80s knit tubes to come to mind- i wanted a bit more originality and because i haven't seen baby/toddler legwarmers marketed in the way I am trying to, I wanted to reflect that. However, this is pretty new that i'm calling them legwraps- like in the last 2 weeks- i called them legwarmers before, so, its not a big deal. I appreciate that suggestion- so noted!!

#7 of 17 Old 10-18-2004, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I first went live on the web, I sold nothing off of my site. I did all of my selling on ebay. BUT ebay is really good advertising. I'm actually really shocked to be selling off of my website right now. I check my email with no intention of seeing an invoice, but then I'll open it and one will be there. It took from Jan of this year to about this month to really start selling on my site. I'm thinking I might actually be able to quit ebay really soon (or now!).

It takes a long time to get the word out, you'll need to find lots of places to list your site (like topkitty and other listing sites like that). Ummm, I don't know what else, I feel wierd trying to give advice cause I feel like either I'm just on the brink or just barely have reached a good functional website biz, as previously everything has been ebay.

Word of mouth is the best for sure though. It is good that there is a reviews section here for slings, but I don't think there is one for other products and there should be.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#8 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 AM

I like the new site! I think your product is really cool, the pant leg creep up drives me nuts. Best of luck to you!
I'm definitely going to get a pair (or two) in pistachio green - what a yummy color!
#9 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 03:32 PM

I had good sales right at first and for the first few months when we were "new" then the newness died down and sales slowed down. I kept at it and at about the 2 year mark we started to turn a profit. We had a really busy time and then it slowed down to a snails pace.

I never know what to expect?!
LOL
#10 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame
  • pacing
  • cold sweats

ha ha :LOL yup.
I also second La La - it is either dead or it all comes at once. I find the dead times are when I can build my stock up and play with new designs, so those times are welcome, too.
#11 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 06:28 PM

*deleted* never mind, I had a blonde moment.
#12 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa
I like the new site! I think your product is really cool, the pant leg creep up drives me nuts. Best of luck to you!
I'm definitely going to get a pair (or two) in pistachio green - what a yummy color!

thanks!

its good to hear from others. its kind of a weird thing starting a business from home because its just you, no co-workers to talk with about it (for better or worse!). I am definitely wanting to advertise on other sites but i need to make some money to advertise with first! lol... well, i guess i'll hammer some stuff out on ebay- i was kind of hoping to avoid that, but seems like its a good/necessary move.

#13 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 PM

When I started, I found WAHMwell (now kittybids) to be a good place to get my name known
they are pretty cheap to advertise with a side banner?
Just a thought!

I don't know if they are as popular now as they used to be?
Anyone know?
#14 of 17 Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM

http://www.junebugswinterwear.com/temp_catalog/

love it! It helps SOOOOOO much to see how to use them, I actually want to buy some now(except it would be a bad idea for us cause its still 80* around here).
#15 of 17 Old 10-25-2004, 08:42 PM
XM

Those are really cute! I'd be great if you could also offer them as a set with a matching hat and scarf... they don't remind me of the 80's so much as the 'half-chaps' that some people wear horseback riding, very functional.
#16 of 17 Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

xm, hats and balaclavas (that pull all the way over the head and cover ears and neck too) mittens, and more are on the way. Keep checking back

I appreciate everyone's feedback, though I certainly did not intend this to be focused on my stuff, but just the experience of those first few weeks. don't want to send the wrong impression, or go against forum rules.

#17 of 17 Old 10-26-2004, 12:04 PM

Have you considered bigger sizes? I wouldn't mind having a pair of these for my almost 5 yo dd when she wears tights with a dress (she is always complaining). I keep a blanket in the car but that's not practical when we are running in and out.

Good luck

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page