so are ya'll making money? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Maybe this might sound like a rude question and obviously I don't mean to be rude or anything. I am thinking of starting my own web based business and I was just wondering are people out there with the diapering/sling/mommy-baby related product businesses making much money at it? I am willing to give it a shot and I think I have some pretty good ideas for my products and an advertising plan... I am just curious about what everyone's experience has been. Thanks for any imput.

Elizabeth
#2 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 12:33 PM

"it takes time" seems to be the phrase of the day for me. I've been a diaper wahm since May.
I think to date I've spent more than I've made.
But, I love to sew, so I keep going!
#3 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 12:51 PM

I didn't turn a profit with my online store until after the two year mark.

However, I do teach classes in the evenings and do home parties sometimes and both of those things do turn profit . I enjoy the classes. I wish I could do them more often!
#4 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 01:23 PM

I started a couple of months ago...I am probably about 5000 in debt.
#5 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I *officially* openend my biz in Jan of this year, and I make money every month. Every month I'm able to pay my rent. Sometimes there isn't much more than that, but I also pay all my biz bills too. I just refused to put myself in debt, offering only a couple colors in slings until I sold enough so I could buy more fabric. Everything I used at first was free or very very cheap, free hosting, paypal shopping cart etc.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#6 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been doing this a little over 3 years and this year I might break even on paper. I haven't worked much this past year, though, due to pregnancy, but I probably could have turned a decent profit this year if I had

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 09:47 PM

2 years to turn a profit. I still don't pay myself a lot, I re-invest a lot back in the biz, increasing stock levels. When I started the biz, I honestly thought I'd start making $$$ right away, learned very quickly that's not how it works, lol.

susie
#8 of 17 Old 10-22-2004, 09:49 PM

hrm.
my first two years in business i lost money. the third year i broke even. the fo urth year i turned a small profit.

its hard to track since i do so much wahm barter. My children get lovely things for the holidays - all in trades for playsilks and silk scarves.

I started this new biz selling hand dyed silks in april and i think i've prolly made money. There always seems to be extra money lately and i've used biz funds to buy toys for the holidays, and groceries a few times lol
#9 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 12:13 AM

I have only been in business for a couple months and grateful I am only in debt about 2k - the insurance is what is killling me. Well, that and the fact that I am addicted to beautiful fabrics and buy more than I need. I don't think I could do it if my husband didn't make a good wage - I am not that much of a risk taker. Well, maybe if I had the self control of wemoon. But I don't.
#10 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 02:01 AM

Not much. LOL If you sew the items yourself you would probably make more. But if you do resell, it takes awhile to turn a profit. I have been doing this almost 2 years (in a month) and there is a little profit, but for the amount of time/effort, it aint much! Not trying to discourage you, just being honest! LOL

Desiree

#11 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 10:19 AM

I'm just starting out -- not near *officially* opening -- and I'm trying to do it like Wemoon. I do have to buy some supplies to make the stuff I sell, but it's a hobby for me so I figure I'm not spending a whole lot more than when I do it for myself, yk? I'm starting out very small, looking into free webhosting & paypal shopping cart for the day when I eventually open. I'm going to have a website up before that though, I think, so I can get used to it.

Anyway, I'm at the testing stage, and I've spent maybe $150 on supplies.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#12 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 01:07 PM

I think bottom line is you have to spend money to make money.
#13 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Red

For me the whole point in the beginning was to teach my daughters some business skills. I couldn't afford debt.

I did lay out the original money for some Keepers and some candles. I really loved the candles and it's a good thing. People don't buy things that smell good if they can't smell them. I have enough candles to light our way til we're to old to be trusted with fire!

I also had my web hosting billed to my checking account and often paid postage out of my own pocket, just to keep things going. Other than that, NO debt. If we made a buck we reinvested it into new products.

This is our third year. All our postage and hosting is now billed to our business account. We could probably claim a tiny profit this year, but we'll just add to/improve the product line. My hope that the site will earn each of the girls a bit of college money, and they'll have a great customer base at college! Then I'd like it to supplement our retirement, so I'm not in a rush.

If I were hoping to have a bit of grocery moeny, I'd be out of luck!
#14 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 02:49 PM

yes and no and it depends what month it is.lol

I also try to buy a little at a time, but now more often I am able to use business money instead of dh's money to purchase more products and material. I am also babysitting a bit and I use that money to buy supplies.

I have 3 different components of my business. If I look at the separatly the Market does the best, website is 2nd and the doula side sucks. The month of October was horrible for the market though because it's between veggies and xmas so nobody is buying. Online it's been similar. July was my best month, both online and at the market. Right now I'm getting ready for 2 big craft fairs. One is 3 days long and mostly for the doula side but I'll have a couple of products there. The other is a special Xmas market, instead of a $12 table from 4pm-8pm, it's a $20 table from 11am-8pm. I'm trying to make more gifty/xmas products for that one since most of my stuff isn't.lol

Overall, I've done not bad for my first year. I have spent more than what I've made, but I enjoy it. It really is like a hobby that i get paid for sometimes. I figure I can spend the same amount of money on hobby things(which I really hadn't had in the last 6 years since being a mom) or I can spend the money on the hobby and sell some of it.

Dh is starting to come around on realizing that things like the new harddrive is a business expense or that there are times we've used business money to buy groceries which makes up for dh's money that I've used to buy things. Often I'll use both if we can spare some of his.lol

Compared to a year ago when I opened I am able to buy alot more products/supplies now.
#15 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your imput. I was very interested to read what everyone had to say. I will keep it in mind when/if I don't turn a profit for a couple of years... Thanks again.
#16 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 03:38 PM

We make enough to keep stocked & pay a couple bills. The market is real bad for the most part. Most WAHMs I have talked to say biz is down.
#17 of 17 Old 10-23-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Art4Babies-

I love your fabric! Where do you get it? (if you don't mind me asking. Don't worry my idea is more knit-related.) I do love to sew and am always looking for interesting fabrics. Haven't had much luck on the web and Jo Ann's selection is pathetic.

What exactly do you mean by insurance? You have insurance for an online store?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page