A heads up for WAHMs who send orders to Canada - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2004, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
morgainesmama, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. At least you aren't doing the opposite of that - Don't get me started on when I paid $2 for something on ebay, and the seller wrote down it's retail value of $30, and I had to pay $12 in shipping. :
Can't you just refuse an item if it's mismarked like that? Or bring your paypal invoice somewhere to prove what you really paid for it before paying the tax?

We've had customers refuse packages, as long as they're unopened (US destinations, not CAN)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 02:28 PM

$5.00 plus gst is standard for over $20.00 for items originating in the us although sometimes they charge PST as well (which you shouldn't get charged on cloth diapers) and so then you have to apply to get that back which takes about 6 months! Sometimes they don't charge anything if customs doesn't get the package but otherwise the $5.00 plus the gst (and possibly the pst which you can get back if it's cloth diapers) is all that you get charged. We have our wholesalers fill out nafta forms so that it reduces the chances of getting charged duty and then having to get that back as well as it takes SO long to get it back!

Holly
Old 10-27-2004, 05:07 PM

Arrgggh, that just happened to me today - the seller in the US overinflated the value of the goods - to 80$ (it was only 17$ ! )

I got charged 20.xx$ for the handling, pst and gst (no wasn't diapers...so had to pay pst) tha's more than the items I bought.

Now I got to put in a claim, if I'm lucky, I'll get my money back.

carmen
Old 10-27-2004, 05:24 PM

I wonder if people think that packages are insured. I can't think of any other reason to inflate the amount. Ugh.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom
Can't you just refuse an item if it's mismarked like that? Or bring your paypal invoice somewhere to prove what you really paid for it before paying the tax?

We've had customers refuse packages, as long as they're unopened (US destinations, not CAN)...
Yeah, but if I had refused the item, it would have got sent back to the shipper, and I'd never see it again. They say you have to pay for the item, and if you want your money back, then you have to file a claim. I filed a claim and they refused it.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 AM

To those who are receiving shipments right now in Canada, have you noticed your packages being delayed more than usual? I have had a horrible time recently getting packages delivered quickly to Canada using USPS/Canada Post. My Canadian customers have all been complaining and unfortunately I have no real way to track the packages.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 AM
nym

Yes, especially in BC. There was a thing on the news that the Vancouver Postal sorting place was all bunched up and way behind. If it has to go through Vancouver it will be really late!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:54 PM

It's worse in the provinces that don't have a postal sorting place. The one in Calgary and Manitoba closed a while back because US shippers weren't sending them there. It has caused a backlog in the other postal sorting places.

Customs is slow due to security, hopefully it'll get better after the election.

Sorting is slow due to backlog.

Damned if i know why but all mail is slow across canada through canada post. I ordered business cards early last week or late the week before and they should have been here by now.

You can get insurance on packages from the US to Canada if you use Global Express(which I think may be UPS) 3-5 day delivery. However the package will not arrive in 3-5 days. The 2 times I have tried getting packages that way it took over a week to even get to the border, then 2 days in customs and then 3-5 days to get to me. It spent more time on the US side than it did on the Canada side.

It's a problem on both sides of the border.

Edited to add, I should complain more often.lol The business cards and sling I was waiting for arrived today, no customs fees on either.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:39 PM

YES!! We are STILL waiting on an global express package from the US that was sent on October 4th! UGH! So much for paying extra for it to come fast! There is a 6 week backlog in customs apparently and there is nothing we can do. )+:

We have received some other items in a timely fashion so I don't know what the difference is but so much for having Halloween diapers instock before Halloween!!!

Holly
Old 10-28-2004, 05:47 PM

That's why I am looking for canadian diaper companies which as you probably know is next to impossible.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:02 PM

I wonder if we (US sellers) put tracking/delivery confirmation tickets on USPS parcels if they would track it to the border, at least. That way you'd be able to see who was holding it up and where it crossed...

They probably don't allow it, though.. I'll have to ask next time I go to the post office.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've bought things from the US maybe 5 or 6 times, and all but the most recent was opened before it came to us. The last package I bought came quickly, though, and wasn't opened.

Does the Canada Post website explain all of this? And the USPS website? I'm going to be shipping to the US, and I'm totally lost here. I need charts or something!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 10-28-2004, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
legally you should not be calling it a gift or present anyhow since that's mail fraud.
What if you do put a gift IN WITH the package and no invoice? That's what I always do so I am not lying. I add a wipe, teabag, soap sample or whatever.....something that is actually a "gift."

I noticed the package are taking a little longer than normal to get there as well.

Desiree

User Tag List