#1 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look at what Canada customs is now doing:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1098396611042

Here's a few of the more important quotes

Quote:
The new standards require a detailed description of parcel contents — not vague references to "present" or "gift."
Quote:
What it all means to you is this: If you are expecting a package from the U.S. or overseas, you better tell Grandma abroad to make sure it is addressed to within an inch of its life. Or it will be returned to sender in the name of security, warns Ottawa.

Likewise, the regulations require the sender's and the recipient's full name, and middle initial "if they have one,"

Further, it requires addresses to be printed in ink or typewritten in capital letters, with the last line of the address showing only the country name, written in full, and in capital letters, or the Canadian postal code
#2 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 01:01 PM

, and one more

You gotta love customs, one both sides of the border. hahahaha
#3 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 01:19 PM

I guess I'm going to have to remember to write in ALL CAPS when sending something to Canada. I can't believe that something would get sent back for being written in regular print instead of all caps
#4 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 01:24 PM

Ive always been very descriptive, maybe thats why my packages have never been stopped and always make it to the buyer in a week, LOL

but if they are gonna *make* you describe it in detail they need to make that box bigger, LOL
#5 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
but if they are gonna *make* you describe it in detail they need to make that box bigger, LOL
my thoughts exactly!
#6 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 02:16 PM

grrrrr customs!

Hope this doesn't stop all you fabulous wahms from sending to us up here. .

mum to a crew...
#7 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 02:37 PM

If you are a WAHM sending a product to someone in Canada(or internationally anywhere) legally you should not be calling it a gift or present anyhow since that's mail fraud.

I have received many packages from the US since this came into effect Jan 1, only 1 has not made it to me but it hasn't been returned either so it's missing. Since US shippers stopped sending their packages to 2 Canadian receiving companies and those companies shut down because of it there has been a slower process of parcels getting through customs because the other companies have to make up for it.

I have not had any packages returned to the shipper because of security reasons.

How hard is it to write on the customs sticker what is in the pkg? The only thing marking a pkg as a gift does is if it is under a certain dollar amount the receiver does not have to pay taxes on it.

The postal code is needed on all parcels and it's all caps(other than the numbers).

Maybe it's because I've been addressing packages in the same way since I was in elementary school but I don't see what the big deal is.
#8 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
If you are a WAHM sending a product to someone in Canada(or internationally anywhere) legally you should not be calling it a gift or present anyhow since that's mail fraud.
This is something that we do as a favor to you. I don't care if you have to pay another 18 dollars for your diaper that already cost you $25 with the shipping. (Just an example, not a personal attack)
#9 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 PM

I know that alot of wahms do it as a favour, I was just pointing out that what it is. I have had wahms do it for me too but I also know that most will not(nor do I expect them to). If I really want that product I am willing to pay the extra money.

My main point was I don't see why it is a big deal to have to write down exactly what is in the box and not check the gift box.
#10 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 PM

I agree that people should write the detailed description, it clearly says in instructions "detailed description of contents".

As for the "gift" box, I think the whole thing about having to pay customs fees is crazy. Do we not have a free trade agreement?
And when I cross the border to see my family, I can bring whatever I want and leave it there, and it's ok, but if it's going through the mail the recepient has to pay for it. I don't think that's cool.
#11 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey
grrrrr customs!

Hope this doesn't stop all you fabulous wahms from sending to us up here. .
No way, most wahms LOVE Canadians

It is aggriavting though...to get something back because it doesn't have a MIDDLE INITIAL....*LOL* I do wish they'd let us get a tracking number....I'll be sure to let customs know all of my needs...hehe....
#12 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 09:58 PM

Speaking of Canada-

Can you clarify something for me? Are Canada people charged duty on everything coming in? Is it better to put a certain value on the package, or the actual?

I have customers ask me to mark it for $10 even when it is a very expensive order. I have people tell me to mark it a gift when its not, or to put "used" because the duty isnt as much.

I dont really like being told what to write on my packages. I dont think I should be lying.
#13 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 PM

We pay taxes and a 5$ fee on everything over $20Cdn. If you ship though UPS or Fed-ex, etc, their can also be a very significant brokerage fee. As Carrie pointed out, lying on packages (marking gift or a lower value) is mail fraud and could get you in trouble. It doesn't matter what the customer asked you to do, it would be you getting in trouble. Though I think the possibility of being charged is fairly remote, it's still a risk you take everytime you lie on a customs form and in this post-9/11 world, probably not a risk worth taking.
#14 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
Speaking of Canada-

Can you clarify something for me? Are Canada people charged duty on everything coming in? Is it better to put a certain value on the package, or the actual?

I have customers ask me to mark it for $10 even when it is a very expensive order. I have people tell me to mark it a gift when its not, or to put "used" because the duty isnt as much.

I dont really like being told what to write on my packages. I dont think I should be lying.
I believe that anything valued over 17US required a duty, then anything retail requires a fee ontop of that.

Everything Ive ever sent to canada was a gift, pretty much, or used, or worthless in retails eyes, LOL, so I always mark gift and put a value of 0, But Im not sure what Id do if i became a wahm and sent to canada, I hate that they have to pay fees, and whats unfair is that they have to pay fees but we dont. Ive had friends buy $20 diapers and with shipping duties and fees they end up paying twice as much, while I can buy something for the same price from a candian mom and only pay a dollar extra in shipping
#15 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
I hate that they have to pay fees, and whats unfair is that they have to pay fees but we dont. Ive had friends buy $20 diapers and with shipping duties and fees they end up paying twice as much, while I can buy something for the same price from a candian mom and only pay a dollar extra in shipping
Yeah it bites the big one You know what really picks my peas? It costs me more to ship to someone IN MY OWN COUNTRY, than it does to ship to someone in the states.

That's just the way it is I guess!

mum to a crew...
#16 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
whats unfair is that they have to pay fees but we dont
Actually, you do - except your customs doesn't start charging anything until it reaches $200US. $200 limit for americans and $20 limit for canadians. It's really not fair at all.
#17 of 43 Old 10-23-2004, 11:59 PM

Yup!

We lost a $2000 plant order. Live plants mind you, do not sit in customs offices very well. reason: no invoice in the damn box. Sure there was a copy of nursery inspection and all of that documentation but no item by item invoice.

$2000 freakin dollars. It was a wholesale order at that. SUCKS!
#18 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
Actually, you do - except your customs doesn't start charging anything until it reaches $200US. $200 limit for americans and $20 limit for canadians. It's really not fair at all.
wow
#19 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 03:33 AM

If I send a Canadian something with a value of $30 American, how much will the recipient have to pay in fees (it's a new diapering item that isn't a gift)?

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#20 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne
If I send a Canadian something with a value of $30 American, how much will the recipient have to pay in fees (it's a new diapering item that isn't a gift)?

If customs catches it then there is $5 fee + 7% gst on the total amount. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, just going from memory here) I find for me its been hit and miss 1/2 of the stuff I get doesn't get stopped at customs so I don't pay anything.

mum to a crew...
#21 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 08:49 AM

if the product is a gift you can check the gift box. it does not have to be from you (the wahm). so...if someone's mil orders a holiday gift for them that is still a gift.
#22 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey
If customs catches it then there is $5 fee + 7% gst on the total amount. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, just going from memory here) I find for me its been hit and miss 1/2 of the stuff I get doesn't get stopped at customs so I don't pay anything.
there's the pst - for the province you're in as well.
IF the product is made in US, or a nafta country, you won't pay duty (which sometimes you may need proof or documentation...), but if not, you'll pay duty on it too.
#23 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfeet
there's the pst - for the province you're in as well.
Really? I haven't had to pay pst on anything bought outside of Canada yet. That's a new one to me.

mum to a crew...
#24 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 03:11 PM

It's taxes and a handling fee, not actual customs fees.

Bluey, which province do you live in? Because I'm in AB I don't pay PST, but in all other provinces the PST should be added unless it's on products that aren't charged PST like kids clothing.(in SK they're not anyhow).

I have bought $70-80 worth of diapers and been charged $8-10 in fees to get it.
#25 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 04:48 PM

Hmm, I just checked a boxes from the US that I got, last couple things I got were charged pst, and some others weren't...it's not consistent. But then in Quebec, they like to take a cut of profit in EVERYTHING.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - if you asked for express/ faster postal service - they charge you $8, not the usual $5 for the handling fee. It 'costs more' for them to calculate the duties faster - yeah right... -
#26 of 43 Old 10-24-2004, 05:30 PM

I'm in BC. I'm not sure why I haven't been charged pst...I was just looking at the most recent customs slips I have and was going off that.

mum to a crew...
#27 of 43 Old 10-26-2004, 01:51 AM

Re: mail fraud, when shipping internationally, is it fraudulent, when writing in value, to write in my cost to replace it rather than price paid to receive it? BC the value to me is much lower than the value to the person who bought it, but if I send out something that cost me $5 in fabric and someone paid $25 for, and I write in $5, is there something wrong with this?
#28 of 43 Old 10-26-2004, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

morgainesmama, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. At least you aren't doing the opposite of that - Don't get me started on when I paid $2 for something on ebay, and the seller wrote down it's retail value of $30, and I had to pay $12 in shipping. :
#29 of 43 Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgainesmama
Re: mail fraud, when shipping internationally, is it fraudulent, when writing in value, to write in my cost to replace it rather than price paid to receive it? BC the value to me is much lower than the value to the person who bought it, but if I send out something that cost me $5 in fabric and someone paid $25 for, and I write in $5, is there something wrong with this?
Yes, there is technically The taxes that we pay are meant to compensate our government for having bought outside of the country. So if I spend $25 with you than I should pay the taxes on the whole amount. Having said that, I don't personally see a huge problem with what you're proposing. *But* if you include an invoice in the package and the invoice says $25 but the customs form says $5 than that can be a problem (and, yes, packages get opened at customs all the time ).

And regarding the PST not being charged on some packages, PST does not apply to all items (like baby things, for example) so if you're talking about getting diapers or slings, then it would make sense that there was no PST charged.
#30 of 43 Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
mail fraud, when shipping internationally, is it fraudulent, when writing in value, to write in my cost to replace it rather than price paid to receive it? BC the value to me is much lower than the value to the person who bought it, but if I send out something that cost me $5 in fabric and someone paid $25 for, and I write in $5, is there something wrong with this?
The problem I see with this is a problem alot of WAHM's have. Sure the fabric may have only cost $5, but there's also the thread(presuming there's thread.lol), shipping packages, any website costs, your time, plus the cost of you getting paid. So if you sell it for $25, to replace that item it should also cost $25. If you start writing down what it costs you and not your markup customers are going to start wondering why it is costing them so much more and may expect lower prices.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page