Off topic but need help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are some ideas off the top of my head, going with a flower theme since that's what you already have going. (And I am not familiar with every diaper site so if these are similar, forgive me! )
Bellflower Buns (or Bottoms)
Daffodil Diapers
Pink Poppy Shoppe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps you could start a contest to help you find a new and fitting name! You may get the perfect suggestion and jumpstart your business at the same time.

It really is a good decision to change your name. Reputation in this closely knit diapering community is everything and it can make or break your business. As you know, there are many CD boards and everyone talks and knows each other. There are many many diapering resellers so finding a positive way to differentiate yourself will prove important to your success.

Peace out,
Old 11-29-2004, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well I certainly did not mean to infer that Jennifer as the e-mailer..that of coarse was Anita. I do here by clarify. The cost of advertisement, cards, washington business registeration, phone numbers...etc is what we were refering to as cost for changing a name...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:17 PM

if i might peek in for just a minute...

i have had the privledge of working with jessica and nichole and julie of itty bitty bunz and they are the sweetest women alive...eager, enthusiastic, fresh, professional...i could go on and on...

i have not worked with jennifer, but i'm sure she's just as wonderful a person...

the three gals - jessica, nichole, and julie did do research and did search...they did not find itty bitty bunz...perhaps they should have expanded their search to include itty bitty buns...but they were a tad naive (sorry gals!) and GASP didn't think there were that many diaper shops...

they also come from out of the online diapering community - where these sorts of conversations about copyright and trademark and does my soaker infringe on her soaker aren't commonplace...they really believe (as do i) that they did their due diligence...

not replying to an email from someone who indicated they were contacting their attorney was prudent...not to mention, that gals had put a ton of money into not just their name - but graphic design, business cards, stationary, labels for their product, etc....they opted for a wait and see stance - they really didn't know what they were going to do and there was a holiday approaching...

today, when they rec'd the email about "going to the boards", well, they were rightly a little stressed out and a little peeved...it sounded a tad bit threatening...

so...

i guess i'm just waving a white flag...suggesting that we all pretend our tummies are full of yummy thanksgiving turkey or tofu or love and try to take the post in the spirit in which it was made...

and perhaps this discussion can be taken off the boards and begin between the folks that it should have been between in the first place...

this broadcast is not directed at any one individual
Old 11-29-2004, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

oh gosh sparklemum you really think we were naive?.... um yeah. I would asume that is the answer.

thanks for the white flag
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 PM

Here are some to research:

HIPRAGS.COM

HIPRAGZ.COM

BOTTOMTHREADS.COM

BOTTOMTHREADZ.COM

HIPBOTTOMS.COM

HIPBOTTOMZ.COM

Those are available and kinda cute! Good luck with the name change!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygirl
OH and if you would, please change your sig advertising here and your banner advertising as soon as possible to avoid any more confusion. I believe MDC will halt the advertising until you get another name and then restart the ads.

Thanks.

MDC will halt all advertising for you. I have done so since I'm on vacation. I didn't halt my siggy, but they will do that for you too. All you need to do is contact Cynthia.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 11-30-2004, 01:57 PM

I think changing your name is definately a great idea.

The name is confusingly similar, which does fall under the trademark law, and Jennifer does have a legal right to protect her business.

Think about it... you wouldn't come up with a name for your cloth diaper business called, "Huggeez" and expect it to be all cool. kwim?

Anyway.... on another note... finding a name can be a struggle. I would ask the state of Washington what the cost of changing the registered name is... it might not even cost. I think here it costs something around $10.... it's best to ask. I'm pretty certain they will let you change the name. Registering your name with the IRS is free, so no worries there. You call their 800 number and can register your name with them in less than an hour (this protects you legally when tax time comes around )

I register and purchase domaines at www.worldwebhosters.com and it is very inexpensive. I pay $0.99 per month for hosting. You can't beat that price! It's more expensive once you have more traffic and need more space, but I've paid just over $2 for a .org informational site and upgraded it from the 99 cents a month after it got busy.

MOthering will let you halt your advertising, then change your banner and everything... no problem. I'm sure Amity will too if you are advertising there as well. Just email and ask.

I wouldn't recommend Heinys in your name, since it is so well used now. Hip Heinys sounds cute, but I would fear that it is too close to Happy Heinys. Maybe not, though.... you could email Linda of Happy Heinys and ask if you like that name, though. Hip Bottoms sounds really cool! I want that one if you don't. You will want to research Mothering, Diaper Pin, Diaper Hyena, and Amity for whatever name you do choose. You will also want a list of wahms just to be sure you are not choosing a name that is too close to another. I think... think... that there is a list of wahms somewhere on Amity. There is one on wild and wooly goods as well. www.wildnwoolygoods.com I believe is the addy.

Maybe zone isn't taken... something like "The Bottom Zone" or something like that.

I like coming up with words that I don't see in the diapering world, and expanding on them.

When I was coming up with a name for my business, I thought of "The Enchanted Garden" and thought is was SO perfect. I wanted it SO bad... it just really fit. I even thought of taking pictures of diapers and making them look like blooming flowers.... you can imagine. (I'm a little cheezy sometimes) Anyway... researched the name and found, "Baby's Enchanted Garden" and decided that they were WAY too similar. I didn't go with that one. The same thing happened with the next one I thought of ... Earthy Babies. There was already an Earthy Baby. So, as you can tell, it happens. We think of the perfect name, and it's taken or almost taken.

There are many names not taken, though.... you just have to think of them.

What type of things do you like? Are you into celestial, fantasy, retro, ???? Take that and expand on that. I like Fairies.... my daughters room is lavender with fairies. I also love frogs and themes like castles, queens, princes and princesses. I've always referred to my son as my prince. So.... my themes were born. Enchanted fit, and everything from there fell into place.

Good luck, and I hope that everything ends in a handshake and happy wahms everywhere.

Teri
Old 11-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Yeah that, all of that. If I were you I would "want" to change my name. Who wants to have a name that is a knock off of something else? When choosing my name I made a long list of everything I could think of and most were already being used by someone else. Hence the name "Tykie Diapers" Tykie is what my Mom called me as a wee one and I thought maybe that fit a store of products made by me like calling them "Linda's diapers" or something like that LOL
Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM

This is probably obvious - maybe not - some folks that cloth diaper have never heard of Mothering...Many have never heard of Amity or the other sites you listed...I would venture to say the majority...

When you do a google on Itty Bitty Bunz - their site comes up. When you search Itty Bitty Buns - diaper sites don't come up - Jennifer's isn't right there. When the girls were searching domains BOTH Itty Bitty Bunz and Itty Bitty Buns were available.

So...I think what is peeving the gals at IBBunz is the infererance that they knew about Jennifer's diaper. Additionally, what would any of us do if someone just sent an email, asked for your domain for the cost of a transfer, and didn't express any sense of "gee this sucks, but" or "I'm sure you didn't intentionally"...

It was the very confrotational tone that set the gals back...

Addtionally - what about Itty Bitty Bottoms? A diaper listed on Diaper Pin and presumably a website (http://www.ittybittybottoms).
Old 12-01-2004, 05:01 PM

Okay, so let's assume that they had no idea that Diaper Pin, Diaper Hyena, Mothering.com and Amity's existed when they went into business. That's cool.... let's just assume that.

Okay, so they chose their name, and thought they did the research they needed to do, etc. That's all cool.

As it ends up, there is already a diaper named Itty Bitty Buns, so there is a problem. Now, how should this problem be resolved?

Personally, I don't want anybody getting my business confused with another. So, there are a few solutions to the problem, and no doubt there is a problem. Which solution should IttyBittyBunz take? What would YOU do? This is the question.

The cloth diapering world is a world of people who are very closely entertwined. We all work together to make up the web that supports our businesses and what we believe in... cloth diapering.

That said, I would want to get started on the right foot. I would want to say something like, "Oh, I am SO sorry! I had NO idea that you had that name! I will take care of that right away." And do just that.

Many people have given help and information. IttyBittyBunz group has the tools they need to solve their problem, and I know that they will do what is fair and right... they will resolve this. There is a problem... there is a solution... there are tools to make it happen.... all they need to do is take the necessary steps. All we do is move on and support all parties in resolving the problem at hand.

Teri
Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemum

When you do a google on Itty Bitty Bunz - their site comes up. When you search Itty Bitty Buns - diaper sites don't come up - Jennifer's isn't right there. When the girls were searching domains BOTH Itty Bitty Bunz and Itty Bitty Buns were available.
http://msxml.webcrawler.com/info.wbc.../ittybittybuns

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=ittybittybuns

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=itt...gle=1&ei=UTF-8

http://www.altavista.com/web/results...ns&kgs=0&kls=0

http://mysearch.myway.com/jsp/GGmain...ittybitty+bunz

http://mysearch.myway.com/jsp/GGweb....M&st=bar&nsa=1

i feel like i am beating a dead horse here but searching ittybittybuns does come up with jennifers site. she's been in biz for 2 years, she didn't just open up shop yesterday.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:25 AM

I think it depends on how you search: ittybittybuns vs. itty bitty buns
Old 01-02-2006, 09:37 PM

User Tag List