WAHM "corporate" jobs? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with Night Owl, working as a nurse was stressful but easier in so many ways. Being my own boss means I am thinking about work constantly - when I left the hospital, I left work behind and went home to be just ME. Now it's very hard to separate me from work.

I know that's not what the OP was talking about - but I do see so many common frustrations and difficulties whether you're self-employed or working for someone else at home. It is a tough, tough balance.

I joke all the time that people think I must be laying around on satin pillows eating bon bons because I am self employed. If only!! Working at home is the most difficult job I've ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbucket
I joke all the time that people think I must be laying around on satin pillows eating bon bons because I am self employed. If only!! Working at home is the most difficult job I've ever had.
:
my boss is a real beeotch, is yours? :LOL

ITA on the separation issue. It's the biggest problem.
#33 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom
:
my boss is a real beeotch, is yours? :LOL
Doooode! Totally! She's HORRIBLE! And do you think she could find the time to SHOWER once in a while? MAN, some days she really stinks.
#34 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 AM

I mentioned before I was a web programmer and towards the end got to work from home - although I didn't have any babies yet.

Honestly, I don't think I could do that again unless I had serious nanny help. I needed total concentration - I wouldn't want to wipe out an important database, hehe.

As of now, I am paying another mama to help watch my 4 mo old, and she has a 4 mo old daughter too she brings. I love helping her out and enabling her to be with her baby. But half the time I just sit and chat with her while we nurse.

As for feeling pressure to bring home $$$, I don't feel pressure from DH, but I need to feel I'm contributing in some way. Plus, I need to have my own money so I can buy more WAHM goodies (dipes, slings, etc...)!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#35 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbucket
Doooode! Totally! She's HORRIBLE! And do you think she could find the time to SHOWER once in a while? MAN, some days she really stinks.
:
wow, mine too! what is it with these stinky people!
:LOL

Back on topic, I just started a PT job doing the same darn thing (medical transcription) for another company, looking to eventually switch. I like having my eggs in more than one basket, though, so who knows?
#36 of 53 Old 03-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMom
Anyone have any experience with freelance writing and want to offer some support or advice? Wish I was braver or independently wealthy. I know I'm doing the right thing for DD, but I've generally taken the safest paths in the past when it comes to making a living, even if I didn't like it, so this is new for me.
Turtlemom, thanks for reviving the thread. No advice, just a for ya as you find your way....
#37 of 53 Old 03-30-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks Tracymom. Appreciate it.

I am planning to ask my current employer if they are interested in keeping me on in a part-time or contract basis, which could ease the transition. I work in a different city than my boss and will see her again in a couple weeks. I will probably be broaching the subject then, so we'll see how it goes.

(On a side note, I am also bringing the baby - my mom is meeting us there -and flying by myself with her on a plane which apparently only has middle seats available right now, so it should be an interesting trip all around.)

Onward into the abyss . . .
#38 of 53 Old 04-01-2005, 06:47 AM

I'm trying to decide whether to go back to work for my old (pre-baby) manager. I started my knitting biz back in November and have really enjoyed it, but my manager kept emailing me to discuss doing contract projects as a statistical analyst again. The money would be really great, and I'd only have to work 10 hours/week, but I don't know if I want to go back to that world. I'm leaning towards doing one 2-month project to see how it feels, then re-evaluating.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#39 of 53 Old 04-02-2005, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I'd love to write more of what I want and try and sell that (versus business writing), and will try and fit in a little of that as I can.
For writing work, I find www.mediabistro.com very useful. You have to register to use their site though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#40 of 53 Old 04-11-2005, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey y'all

Glad to see this thread alive again?!

I had a woozie month. Still working from home and trying to find that balance with deadlines and clients and money.

Got an offer from a show that was OBSCENE amounts of money. I talked to them and explained that I HAD to work from home and my hours were odd and I can't always answer the phone -- etc etc . They still made the offer. But for that amount of money they wanted a REAL commitment for the rest of the year and I wasn't sure I could swing it (or wanted to swing it)
DH and I discussed. I would have a deadline every week! That means no fun time, no lazy summer afternoons with DS, etc. I hated the thought of him playing indoors while I cranked at deadlines. Was it worth it?

We decided no. It was hard. I wrote them a rejection letter. They called me in for an interview and sweetened the deal!! I still said no. Was that dumb??

I just didn't want to have to hire someone (even another mama) to come in and play with DS while I was chained to the computer all summer. ANd I still have work this summer, just not crazy high paying steady work.

ANYHOW -- I am a freelance writer -- but I do TV writing, not sure if that's up your alley. If you want some advice in that genre I would be happy to help -- PM me.

Keep chatting y'all!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#41 of 53 Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom
For writing work, I find www.mediabistro.com very useful. You have to register to use their site though.
Thanks, EviesMom. I will take a look at that site. Always great to find new leads.

Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion of any other websites for freelance work, e.g. eLance? I'm wondering how well these things work.
#42 of 53 Old 04-13-2005, 02:09 PM

On another note, wow, Boatbaby, that is quite a decision. I admire you for that. On the flip side, I hope that is the kind of problem I end up having (more work rather than none)!

I am scheduled to talk to my current boss (full-time work) next week and will be asking for a cut-back in hours. Would be nice to have that security while I try out freelancing on the side. Sometimes I feel like such a fool for wanting this (who would give up such a good job), but then I think back to my reasons. Got to stick to my principles. One way or another, I am out of full-time work end of May.
#43 of 53 Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Good luck, TM. I wrote my this-is-not-a-resignation-letter-this-is-a-notice-of-intent-to-resign-whenever letter today. Haven't emailed it to the boss yet. She could get pissed and cut me off, and I don't know how the bills will get paid, but I have been coming to this point for months. I have a part time job on the side that I can crank up but I'm still scared. I hear you all on principles,though. I want to go to massage therapy school and help in my mother's business, neither of which will pay the bills, but I don't have the flexibility with the company I'm currently with. Hope to have that with the new company as they seem pretty cool so far.
#44 of 53 Old 04-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion of any other websites for freelance work, e.g. eLance? I'm wondering how well these things work.
I'm on several of the sites, so I'll give my two cents.

Elance, for writing, it really depends on what kind of work you want to do. There are a LOT of small web content projects. Personally, I've done several and hate them with a passion. I only do them now when I really need the $$. Usually, you're given keywords and keyword densities and are asked to write 500 words or so on that. Not a bad thing in theory, but in reality, I found they got old FAST, especially with the really inane topics. Plus, Elance is full of overseas companies who tend to bid like $4-5/article for these projects...sorry, but I think my time is worth more than $3-4/hr.

Sologig.com is mostly on-site, local contract work. Some looks great, I just haven't found any in my area, and I'm not looking to do on-site.

I haven't done much on Guru.com, so I don't know as much on there.
#45 of 53 Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom
I wrote my this-is-not-a-resignation-letter-this-is-a-notice-of-intent-to-resign-whenever letter today. Haven't emailed it to the boss yet. She could get pissed and cut me off, and I don't know how the bills will get paid, but I have been coming to this point for months. I have a part time job on the side that I can crank up but I'm still scared. I hear you all on principles,though. I want to go to massage therapy school and help in my mother's business, neither of which will pay the bills, but I don't have the flexibility with the company I'm currently with. Hope to have that with the new company as they seem pretty cool so far.
I like the title of your letter! Mine will be a I'd-rather-not-resign-if-you-would-please-instead-keep-me-on-for-part-time. I'm wondering if my company will be pissed too and cut me off, but have to wait and see. I have a ton of experience with them, so hoping they will at least see the advantage of keeping me part-time for a little while, at a minimum for as long as it takes to find someone else.

Too bad the really interesting things don't pay well. Sometime, I'll have to think more about why that feels so true.

Good luck, yourself. Nice to hear that you have an option with a new company. Maybe our mutually exchanged good vibes will help out.
#46 of 53 Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Gemanda. I've heard negative things about eLance, too. I think I might focus my first efforts (presuming my current job isn't interested in part-time) on contacting all the marketing consulting firms around here to see if they use freelancers and are interested. Anyone ever tried and had any luck with that? I hate cold calling with a passion, but I may have to suck it up and do it. Also going to contact a company called The Creative Group that is a temp agency for marketing professionals. I wonder how open all these sources will be to freelancing where one is part-time and primarliy working-from-home.
#47 of 53 Old 05-20-2005, 08:50 PM

Just in case this thread is still of interest to anyone . . .

I just had my proposal to work part-time with my current employer approved! After being pretty nervous about it, it turned out fine. I guess one important lesson from this for me is to not be afraid to ask. Hope that is encouraging for anyone else out there trying to do the same thing. Oh, and another piece of advice is that it is very helpful to have been with the company for a long time (probably not the most helpful advice, but there it is). I know that made a difference because I have proven worth and a strong knowledge base in the industry.

Now, hopefully, not only will I have more time for my daughter, but also a little time to write my own stuff occasionally. (Yeah, right! Have to be optimistic though and am making a new set of goals and routines for myself to try and facilitate this.)

tracymom, not sure how your situation turned out, but I hope it's going well.
#48 of 53 Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 AM

That's great, TM! I'm so glad for you. I did ultimately turn in that letter and it went much better than I had hoped. The workload is winding down as they get a new hire cross trained and in the meantime I'm trying to crank up my work for the new company.

It must mean something that this year for National Medical Transcriptionist week we all got picture frame clocks from my "old" employer and from my new employer I received a handmade tag card and a $50 gift certificate from Barnes and Noble. I was tickled pink.
#49 of 53 Old 05-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Quick response . . . late for breakfast here . . .

Happy for you too tracymom. Always nice to hear good news. (And I learned something new - that there is a National Medical Transcriptionist week. Cool.) I'd take the gift certificate over a clock anyday! I agree, a good omen.
#50 of 53 Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM

I'm so glad to find this thread!

I'm work from home full-time as a tech writer for a small software company. I've been with my company since 1998 (with one brief departure to work as a contractor at Microsoft). I started working from home in May 2000 and DS was born in 2002. It was quite an adjustment to go back to working from home with a babe. At that time, DH worked from home three days a week, so on the two days he went in we had a nanny come into our home to help me with DS.

We moved in 2003 and DH started working from home full-time. My MIL watches my son for five hours four days out of the week and then DH I juggle on the fifth day (I get up really early and work in the evenings, too). It's a nice arrangement, although I relate to feelings of not being able to work in a hectic/noisy/messy home. It's a juggling act for sure and some days I wish I could go to an office because the blurry boundaries between home and work can really suck.

Now we're expecting #2 in October and I'm really torn. I know all too well about the sleep deprivation I endured that first year of DS's life, so to imagine dealing with two kids and a full-time job -- I don't know, it sounds hectic! I'm considering going to 30 hours a week if my company will allow this. I just have to muster the guts to ask for this arrangement -- and soon because I don't think it's a request I should spring on my employer just before going on leave.

Sometimes I love my job and other times it bores me to tears. I'm so grateful for it though; the benefits are fabulous, the salary is great, and I like earning money to save for retirement. DH definitely doesn't want to lose my income, although if it came down to choosing between my income and putting our children in day care, we'd give up my earnings. I try to look at my situation as a blessing, which isn't always easy because working at home makes me feel pulled in a gazillion different directions and that's an awful feeling.
#51 of 53 Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 PM

here's is a thought for those of you wanting to work reduced schedules. eight months ago, my supervisor left our office for a temporary tour of duty and i was talked into taking over her position while she was gone. it's interesting being in the position of running a division and being asked to review these sorts of applications. and strangely, the folks in my division understand that i will approve anything reasonable (one of my guys works from 7-3 so he and his wife can juggle childcare and i just approved the first ever paternity leave in our office) so they tend to make requests with more security that they'll be granted, not laughed at.

but one thing that occurs to me, especially for a new mom in a career type position, is why don't you go to your supervisor and say you would like to work a relaxed schedule for several years--you're not sure how long--while your baby is little. you can be candid and say it may end up being 2 years or 5 or forever, you're just not in a position to know right now. but with a good employee, and the incentive of not having to hire/train someone new, i think i would bend over backwards to make something like this work for one of my people. so keep in mind that all the bargaining chips aren't in your employers hands--that they want to keep you too.

and having said that *sigh* i can't wait for my supervisor to come back (just 4 more months) so i can go back to my flexi pt schedule
#52 of 53 Old 06-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl
Now we're expecting #2 in October and I'm really torn. I know all too well about the sleep deprivation I endured that first year of DS's life, so to imagine dealing with two kids and a full-time job -- I don't know, it sounds hectic! I'm considering going to 30 hours a week if my company will allow this. I just have to muster the guts to ask for this arrangement -- and soon because I don't think it's a request I should spring on my employer just before going on leave.

Sometimes I love my job and other times it bores me to tears. I'm so grateful for it though; the benefits are fabulous, the salary is great, and I like earning money to save for retirement. DH definitely doesn't want to lose my income, although if it came down to choosing between my income and putting our children in day care, we'd give up my earnings. I try to look at my situation as a blessing, which isn't always easy because working at home makes me feel pulled in a gazillion different directions and that's an awful feeling.
I completely relate. I've been working full-time for my daugther's first year, with three days at home and two in the office. We've had a nanny for the office days and my sister helps out when I am at home. Now (starting this Monday, actually), I've gotten approval to work part-time, from home. I'll still go in the office occasionally, but not regularly. The nanny is gone and my sister is my saviour while I'm working. My husband can spare an afternoon a week too, but we're trying not to do that since it reduces our income further.

I was really fortunate in that my boss (I heard this from another manager) decided that I was worth keeping part-time rather than losing me all together. Sounds like rosygirl1 has a similar thought. If you are a valuable employee who has been there awhile, you might be in a better position than you think.

I'm on the cautious side myself, though, and while I've wanted to cut back (or quit, if possible) since my daugther was born, we waited a year while we planned and saved some money, just in case my company wasn't interested. I was also investigating freelance possibilities. Personally, I wasn't comfortable asking for a reduction in hours, unless I felt somewhat comfortable in leaving if they said no. There are real downsides to my choice (pretty much all financial), but I don't regret it yet. Ask me again after Monday.

I feel really lucky to have this ability to cut back. I know it isn't there for everyone, and if you have it, I wouldn't give up on it too easily. You have the advantage of knowing what it is like to balance WAH and baby and can look realistically at how well it will work. We've talked about a second child and its made me wonder what will really be possible work-wise with two. Best of luck!
#53 of 53 Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 AM

A little late to this thread ...

Am a WAHM doing scoping (for court reporters) and transcription. (I was a court reporter before the babies came along ...)

Am totally with the PPs who work late-night hours to get anything done ... and then am falling asleep at the keyboard. And also with the PPs who procrastinate so terribly they never get anything done until the deadline is looming ... as you can see by my post count. :LOL Half of my MDC time is procrastinating when I should be working. (Though now I'm procrastinating when I should be sleeping.)

So am trying to move into something else. Like maybe selling something. Being a distributor for another WAHM sort of thing. Not like I'm remotely good at business or anything, but anything's got to be better than this. Or maybe I should say that I am looking for something to take the edge off, so perhaps it'll be easier to turn down/say no ... IYKWIM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page