WAHM "corporate" jobs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 12-22-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen lots of neat home businesses here!

But I am wondering if any WAHM moms here have more "corporate" type jobs that they just do from home now that they are a mom??
Like an accountant, writer (paid and published), finnancial, computer stuff, etc?

I think it's a different twist when you have outside pressures of deadlines and people who are "in the grind" interacting with you (makes business calls interesting when your little one gets cranky mid-call)

I'm a TV producer/ writer and still work for many shows while at home, I just don't go on location anymore. Mostly writing scripts from home and handling overall show logistics.

All WAHM mom's face challenges, it's just a different twist when you are not a self made business?

Anyone in my situation?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 12-22-2004, 06:38 PM

I used to . I worked outside the home in corporate PR and marketing and then I decided to open my own small business consulting, marketing, and PR firm, working from home. I did that for just over a year when I decided to quit. The business was doing great but I was waaay more stressed then when I was working outside the home. I couldn't enjoy working in anything less then a perfectly tidy house, I was always afraid a client would hear a crying baby in the background, and I was irritable with my ds. Now I make my own line of cloth diapers and I find that much more rewarding. I sew when I want to and I have plenty of free time to spend with my kiddos. Less money...but a richer life.
#3 of 53 Old 12-23-2004, 02:28 PM

wow, i was thinking about posting the same thing this morning while i was in the shower! LOL!! i'm a web developer for a large corporation. i build their marketing websites and a whole bunch of intranet applications.

my boss has been great, allowing me to work in the office from 8:30-12:30, then i pick up the baby from my mom's and work the rest of the afternoon from home. but now that ds is on nap-strikes (he's almost 10 months old), it's nearly impossible to get anything done!!! and to add insult to injury, no one seems to undertand that when i'm working at home, i actually have work to do!!! no, i can't do lunch with you! no, i can't pick so-in-so up! no, i can't run out to the store and pick up X! I"M WORKING!!!

in my situation, i'm on the clock (so to speak) from 8-5, where i think that a self-biz WAHM may have deadlines and such, but can squeeze in some work during nap times. ds used to take a long nap between 3-5 which allowed me to get alot of work done. but with these nap strikes... {sigh}
#4 of 53 Old 12-23-2004, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but I was waaay more stressed then when I was working outside the home. I couldn't enjoy working in anything less then a perfectly tidy house, I was always afraid a client would hear a crying baby in the background, and I was irritable with my ds.
I COMPLETELY understand. When Ds goes down for a nap and I should jump right into work... I physically can NOT work if the house is messy. It makes me crazy!!!!
I either clean or procrastinate (like right now
And then I feel guilty for not getting any work done and when DS wakes I try to work, and end up not giving him the attention he needs.

Quote:
no one seems to undertand that when i'm working at home, i actually have work to do!!! no, i can't do lunch with you! no, i can't pick so-in-so up! no, i can't run out to the store and pick up X! I"M WORKING!!!
I TOTALLY relate to this too. People think because I am home and because I have the babe with me, I must lead a life of leisure. Friends will actually call, and I won't answer because I am working and they call back and call back. AAARRRGGHH! DH will wonder why we're out of bread or whatever, and it's like between caring for Ds and trying to meet deadlines, when am I supposed to shop?! :

Ok, I'm done.

Glad to find a person or two who can relate. We should keep in touch...

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#5 of 53 Old 12-23-2004, 07:11 PM

I'm a self-employed web designer/host and I sooo know how you guys feel. People not understanding that I'm working when I'm at home, trying to have a professional conversation with a client -- and hoping the cartoons on the TV aren't too loud, or the kids don't start yowling.

On the positive side, since I'm self-employed, I can set my own hours. The negative side of that is I end up staying up too late trying to work. Then dd stays up later -- and the next thing we know, our schedule has flip-flopped. ARGH.

For me, working outside the home was easier. I only had a small area to keep organized and I could concentrate on my job. And no one expected me to be cleaning the kitchen while working.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#6 of 53 Old 12-23-2004, 08:10 PM

Well, I said I wasn't doing corporate work anymore but I guess I can take that back now . Yesterday I was offered a job doing tax returns from home. They will drop off 10-15 returns a week and then pick them up when I am done. Not a HUGE money maker but I couldn't pass up 4 grand for 3 months of part-time work, especially since it is definately temporary

So now how do I manage to run my business while I am doing this? Ah well, at least I will get my embroidery machine now.
#7 of 53 Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 PM

I work in educational publishing from home. I'm a writer. I do it all freelance, pick and choose my assignments. It is easier sometimes than others, I always end up working until the last minute of a deadline. I try really, really hard to leave the house to work, otherwise I'm still on call to nurse the baby, take the toddler to the bathroom, you all know the drill. Its the only way I'll work while my kids are young, though, so I'm definitely grateful for the job.
#8 of 53 Old 12-24-2004, 06:22 AM

I do medical transcription from home. I work for a large service and thus am not self-employed. I have deadlines for turnaround time and productivity quotas to meet.

I've had to invest in caller ID so I can get things done. And I work very late into the night/morning (that's why I'm posting this at 4 a.m. my time). It can be a huge juggling act, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that much MT work is being outsourced to other countries and I don't want to be out of a job
#9 of 53 Old 12-24-2004, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is easier sometimes than others, I always end up working until the last minute of a deadline.
Me TOO!!!!

Quote:
And I work very late into the night/morning
Mee Too Again!

Thanks everyone for chiming in. it helps to find others in the same boat (so to speak)

Do you ever feel guilty about not being able to do more? Either EARN more and/ or keep with with chores and such around the house more?
I do. I think it has been hard on my DH to watch my income drop to 1/3 of what it used to be, and yet I feel like I am working three times harder!
(sigh)

#10 of 53 Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 PM

Like Karen, I also do MT from home for a service. I used to work the crazy night hours a lot but ended up worsening my sleep apnea and creating an almost narcoleptic type situation for myself where I was literally falling asleep at the keyboard during the day when the kiddos are at school. I had to "take back the night" and set some regular sleep times. It's hard sometimes when I get unreasonable assignments with early deadlines that I *could* make if only I would stay up half the night to do it. If it didn't screw me up for two or three days afterwards, I'd be happy to. Sorry, folks, the family is more important; that IS why I'm here, after all.

I don't worry so much about overseas as much as I used to; in the medical field, HIPAA and the lawyers are helping to take care of that. I worry more about companies exploiting our desire to stay home with our families to get us to work strange hours for inferior pay and no benefits, turning our homes into sweatshops. All for the love of family. That's what worries me most, and it extends not just to the MT field, but to all home-based corporate businesses.
#11 of 53 Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I worry more about companies exploiting our desire to stay home with our families to get us to work strange hours for inferior pay and no benefits, turning our homes into sweatshops. All for the love of family. That's what worries me most, and it extends not just to the MT field, but to all home-based corporate businesses.
What an excellent point!!!!
And so true, I find I am bending to do work for less money and people are offering me less than the going rate, and it is all with this under current of "well you should be happy you are working at all, with a new baby and all"
YUCK! GrRRRR!
And it's a double edged sword, yes I am happy to be earning money in my field while being home with DS. But I also resent not getting the gigs and $$ I derserve with my LONG time experience and such...

#12 of 53 Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM

I work for a very large corporation (over 50,000 employees) and take advantage of the "flexible work arrangement" plan by working from home 50% of the time. My manager fully supports this (as I think she knows I wouldn't work there otherwise, LOL!) While I am working I have childcare arrangements for my children and I work on the clock with a regular daytime schedule.

I love working from home because I am able to get much more work done than if I were in the office and had people coming by my cubicle to chat all day long. I also like the fringe benefits of working in my bunny slippers and having a very short commute. I also love working in the office a couple of days a week, since the face-to-face time is important for the work I do.
#13 of 53 Old 12-28-2004, 12:17 PM

WTG, thyme, it sounds like a wonderful balance. I sometimes wish I had an office to go to sometimes, just to get out for the interaction and to remind me how professional I am. :LOL
#14 of 53 Old 12-28-2004, 09:11 PM

I'm self-employed, so not a corporate WAHM, but I'm not one of those home businesses either. I just work as an independant contractor out of my house. but I'm about to have baby #2 and I think I'll not be able to do it anymore.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#15 of 53 Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby
What an excellent point!!!!
And so true, I find I am bending to do work for less money and people are offering me less than the going rate, and it is all with this under current of "well you should be happy you are working at all, with a new baby and all"
YUCK! GrRRRR!
And it's a double edged sword, yes I am happy to be earning money in my field while being home with DS. But I also resent not getting the gigs and $$ I derserve with my LONG time experience and such...
BINGO - and large MT companies are doing this by going offshore for transcriptionists at a fraction of US rates. I personally am now looking for a supplemental part-time job, as my office ships work to India and I am sometimes without.

Yet the prevailing thought is exactly as stated above, "You are lucky to be home." Needless to say, I will be looking for a different career as my kids get older.
#16 of 53 Old 12-30-2004, 03:35 AM

I gues I am, sortof... I work for myself, not by myself. I work from home, but I get out a lot. I am an Avon Independent Sales Rep. I only invested $15 to begin with and now I'm making enough money to where I don't have to work another job. Although I'm not doing something that was my idea, I get to be creative and support other WAHMs by showing them how to be successful selling Avon. That's why its a sortof - its a corporate biz, but its "The Company for Women."
BTW, if you need Avon you can order some at my site!
#17 of 53 Old 12-30-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenEMT
BINGO - and large MT companies are doing this by going offshore for transcriptionists at a fraction of US rates. I personally am now looking for a supplemental part-time job, as my office ships work to India and I am sometimes without.

Yet the prevailing thought is exactly as stated above, "You are lucky to be home." Needless to say, I will be looking for a different career as my kids get older.

Yep, there's no way to compete with the turnaround time based on the time difference advantage....so if turnaround is the thing, they go India every time.
I too am getting tired of MT mainly because of the attitudes toward it by the bosses anymore. I'm tired of working for salesmen and managers who don't understand the profession or how it works other than the numbers. I usually have more work than I want, but they give me the hardest stuff because I'm a "level 3" and earn a higher pay, so I often get the crap nobody else can do and am supposed to be grateful for it because my per-line rate is higher. Umm, gee, it ain't THAT much higher, people, plus my quota is higher too, so I have to do more to qualify for FT benefits.
#18 of 53 Old 12-31-2004, 10:53 AM

I'm a graphic designer / communications consultant working mostly from home, though I venture out to see clients every two weeks or so (more often when it's a big project).
While I really enjoy my work, the expectations from clients can be a bit overwhelming (like, since I'm home anyway, why can't I do projects overnight? um, because occasionally I'd like to have a life!).
Still, at this point, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so I'll stick with it for a while.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#19 of 53 Old 01-07-2005, 04:57 PM

He's a graphic designer and I'm an editor in educational publishing. He always works from home, I work 2 days onsite and 1 day from home. It's nice to be home with Evie, and I think she has a great relationship with her daddy from seeing him all day instead of him being at an office until late at night, but it's stressful on the family budget! I can't imagine doing this without her aunt to watch her during the day, though!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#20 of 53 Old 01-07-2005, 06:00 PM

i work in for a corporation too, doing technical writing. i just went back to work, my little one is 4 months old.

i've only been back 4 days, but i feel so torn. on the one hand, i feel extremely fortunate to be able to make a decent salary and they are letting me work 20 hours for now. but, even just 20 hours feels awful sometimes. i miss my baby so much, yet when i was home all day i started feeling depressed and stressed about how we would make ends meet.

they may let me work from home in the future, but i can't imagine how i'd get anything done. worst for me would be the stress of how little i'm getting done, combined with "i should be spending time with my daughter".

can anyone else relate? is it better to give up the corporation money and just find a local part time job, perhaps where i can bring my daughter with me?
#21 of 53 Old 01-07-2005, 06:07 PM

ok, i'm back. had to stop because my baby needed me.

what i wanted to say is: all of the pp's seem so content working part time. did you feel this way from the beginning? my daughter seems to be fine without me (she is home with daddy), but i feel sad to be back at work.

this may not be the right place for my post, but where do i find support for working outside the home? for transitioning from a stay at home mom to a working outside the home mom?

thanks!
#22 of 53 Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 PM

Hi motocita!
Under "Parenting Issues" there's a "Working Mamas" forum for moms who work outside of the home. I hang out there for working support since most of my work is at an office, but I'm over here today because I've been struggling with what it sounds like you're struggling with... at the office I want to be at home, and at home I feel like I should be getting work done. Today I've had no work to do at the office, so I've been looking through the WAHM boards trying to decide if I want to start a toy store.
Katie

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#23 of 53 Old 01-07-2005, 07:46 PM

thanks, eviesmom. i'm heading there now!
#24 of 53 Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 PM

wow. i just stumbled across this thread and i can SO totally relate to many of the pp's. like boatbaby, i can't even BEGIN to work if the house is messy. and i am such a procrastinator. i try to make phone calls when nursing cause the baby is less likely to google or cry. it is just so overwhelming. but the extra money is great and i love setting my own hours. still, sometimes i wonder if it's worth the added stress.

btw, i am a social worker and oversee administration of a grant. i work very part-time.
#25 of 53 Old 01-08-2005, 10:03 PM

I have my own business writing/research/content management company from home. DH is now a SAHD. It's hard being available for both clients and family. DH and I have ALWAYS worked from home since we've had kids (1998), so this is the life we're accustomed to now.
#26 of 53 Old 01-09-2005, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
is it better to give up the corporation money and just find a local part time job, perhaps where i can bring my daughter with me?
What job is like that, unless you start your own home cottage industry?

Quote:
it is just so overwhelming. but the extra money is great and i love setting my own hours. still, sometimes i wonder if it's worth the added stress.
I wonder that too. Especially when I am sick (like now) and under the gun for a dealine and DS is teething and needy and I just feel stretched too thin.

On a positive note. I had a business meeting in Florida (we're in Maryland) and since DS is EBF, I brought him and DH along. It went GREAT! DH and DS hung out at the resort where my meeting was and when DS needed to nurse, DH paged me and I stepped out to nurse. Everyone at the meeting was totally supportive and it all went like clockwork!

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

#27 of 53 Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM

Wow! So nice to see other mama's like me here! I have been working from home since Spetember after having my second baby. It is so much more difficult than I ever thought it would be. I work for the US Navy MWR department as a graphic designer/editor within the marketing department for our base. I am currently a test subject within Europe to see if more people can telework within the military while stationed overseas. I think it is going well but I have no time to myself anymore. At least while I worked out at the office I fet together and organized. Right now I feel like a mess!

See... Sunday evening (my time in Sicily) and I have a deadline tomorrow... here I am still working on it. If I was in the office I would have been done last week!

I can make my own hours and still work 40 hour weeks but a lot of it is on the weekend and early in the morning and late late in the evening.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#28 of 53 Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Checking in with everyone

I have a new gig that I like much better and the deadlines should be easier to handle, nicer client, better pay. YAY. The bad news was that on the first week's deadline my computer crashed and I went through hell borrowing computer time from friends with babe in towe trying to get it done

Does anyone else feel a pressure to bring in a certain amount of $$$?? My DH is supportive and all, but he is used to the income I made before DS (I was self employed from home then too, but could take on more and travel for clients) I feel like he is somehow disappointed with the income I am bringing in now, whereas I think it's not all that bad for somebody who has a full time job already as a Mama!
Anyone else relate?

#29 of 53 Old 02-11-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby
Does anyone else feel a pressure to bring in a certain amount of $$$??
I can sort of relate to this one. DH and I have gone round and round on whether or not we can afford me to quit my job. I am firmly convinced we have the $'s, he's not. We finally agreed to a 6-month unpaid leave. I should add that I hate my job and I think I would like to be a sahm, but I'm not sure. I haven't even started the leave and he's already saying things like "during the 6 months you should look for a job that you like better". He doesn't seem to understand that many of the jobs that I would consider would pay so little that it would barely cover daycare. I am definitely feeling pressure to find a job that pays at least a certain amount of $'s because my current job pays very well.
#30 of 53 Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM

Don't know if this thread is still active, but glad to find it anyway. I work full-time right now, with three days telecommuting. Not sure how long they will let me telecommute, since my boss has mentioned cutting it out, but so far I have been able to stave them off. Now I am planning to quite in a couple months and try to freelance part-time.

Yes, I most definitely feel pressure to earn money and I know my DH feels pressured that the burden of income will fall even more heavily on him. He does also feel that we don't want to put our one-year-old daughter in daycare and that it is best if I am home for awhile, which is great, but doesn't solve everything.

I work in Marketing as both a researcher and copywriter and am rather freaked out about losing the security and income of a job, even though I don't like it at all. It's been very hard trying to plan and learn how to freelance while working full-time, so I am saving some of that for once I quit, but that makes me feel pretty wobbly too. We have income saved up to give me some slack for at least six months and longer, if we adjust our lifestyle more. Honestly, I'd love to write more of what I want and try and sell that (versus business writing), and will try and fit in a little of that as I can.

Anyone have any experience with freelance writing and want to offer some support or advice? Wish I was braver or independently wealthy. I know I'm doing the right thing for DD, but I've generally taken the safest paths in the past when it comes to making a living, even if I didn't like it, so this is new for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page