How would you ship boutique baby clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-19-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working for a baby boutique and will be listing some expensive baby/child clothing on eBay. How would you ship such items?

Would wrapping in tissue paper, tying with a ribbon and sending inside a Tyvek envelope via UPS insured be okay in your opinion? They really do want to use UPS since they already have a business account set up. I've always been happy with the strength of Tyvek, but wondered if someone who is paying so much money for an outfit would be upset if it wasn't shipped in a box.

TIA!
#2 of 17 Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 AM

hmmm. sounds fine to me but someone else might feel otherwise.
On second thought, when I received a rather pricey package from Fooey (cool stuff, BTW) the Tyvek envelope was Filthy. The only thing that was kind of cool about the packaging was the nice Fooey sticker on the outside. But if you are just selling a few things you might not be investing in something like that. Anyway, when I opened the package I was pleasantly surprised by the neatly wrapped t-shirts in colorful tissue and raffia. I was then impressed by the qualities of the Tyvek - thought it an efficient and smart way to ship.
#3 of 17 Old 01-20-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Cool... sounds like a good idea. They're going to buy new Tyvek, and I thought I'd suggest tissue paper and ribbon.

Personally, I think Tyvek is the bomb! LOL
#4 of 17 Old 01-20-2005, 11:17 AM

I have received clothing/diapers in Tyvek envelopes but I always appreciate when the item is inside a large ziploc-style bag as well. Packages left on our porch can very easily get wet if it starts to rain and I would be upset if an expensive garment had gotten rained on.
#5 of 17 Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

That's a good point... I guess Tyvek isn't necessarily waterproof. I'll make a note of that!
#6 of 17 Old 01-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love Tyvek (and I believe it IS waterproof), but, if the item is very crushable/wrinkles easily, I would consider sending in a box just so it's not completely smooshed when it arrives.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 17 Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Whenever I buy any fabric item on eBay I request it be sent in a ziploc bag. And I always prefer a box--I'm deathly afraid that it might get caught in some machine somewhere and torn (yes, even in a Tyvek!) or at minimum get scrunched and wrinkled up.

JMO!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#8 of 17 Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 AM

I bought a couple of christening dresses from a discount seller off Amazon.com and was SO impressed with the packaging. They stuffed the puff sleeves with tissue paper, tucked some kind of styrofoam thingies into the bows so they wouldn't get squished and creased, and wrapped each dress separately in tissue and plastic. The whole kaboodle came in a bag (don't recall if it was tyvec or not) and the dresses were in ready-to-wear condition.

I was skeptical when I saw the shipping bag, but the dresses were just fine.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#9 of 17 Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
That's a good point... I guess Tyvek isn't necessarily waterproof. I'll make a note of that!

Really? I thought it was waterproof?
#10 of 17 Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well I thought it was since it's #2 plastic, but when another poster mentioned it wasn't I rethought.

Trish- thanks for mentioning the puff sleeves and bows, good point!
#11 of 17 Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniewb
Really? I thought it was waterproof?
Tyvek had better be waterproof...that's what they use on most new homes today instead of tar paper, as a water barrier... My Sister's dp is an architect and he actually will not use it for new construction specs because he considers it to be so waterproof, it doesn't breathe at all (and hence, can lock water vapor inside walls causing rot and mildew, not to mention 'unhealthy house' issues where dangerous gases cannot escape an airtight home.)

Now if the envelope is not sealed properly, then that's another story entirely.

Personally, if buying from a store, a box might be expected, but unless you're getting $$$ for the clothing on ebay, then I'd ship it the nicest way you can for the least cost. The Tyvek sounds good to me. I've received wool fibre, fabrics and many cloth diapers that way with no problems at all.
#12 of 17 Old 02-05-2005, 07:29 PM

I ship in these: http://www.clearbags.com/?overview|bags

and Tyvec. A snug clear bag keeps everything dry and minimizes wrinkles.

Kristin
#13 of 17 Old 02-06-2005, 03:42 AM

I found a great way to ship to reduce/prevent wrinkles: put in a plastic bag and fill with air (zip lock), and then wrap in product of your choice (i.e., Tyvek).
#14 of 17 Old 02-06-2005, 05:27 AM

I'm NOT a work at home mom but buy loads of boutique type clothes off of ebay and other online stores.. : anyway,.. Most of the clothes do come in the Tyvek envelopes. I have gotten a few in boxes but the majority is in the envelopes. Most places do use tissue paper. To me the most impressive is when they use colored tissue paper. It just makes it seem more festive. And, when they tye it with either ribbon or some sort of fiber's. Usually with their card tyed to the ribbon.

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#15 of 17 Old 02-06-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the new ideas!
#16 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 06:17 PM

I love tyvek, and i use it in a lot of my collage work because it takes color really well. why not get a couple of fun rubber stamps, or better yet, have one made with your store logo (any local rubber company can do that) and you can stamp in bright colors on the outside of your packages.
#17 of 17 Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
I love tyvek, and i use it in a lot of my collage work because it takes color really well. why not get a couple of fun rubber stamps, or better yet, have one made with your store logo (any local rubber company can do that) and you can stamp in bright colors on the outside of your packages.
Sounds fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page