site improvement tips...shall we chat? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 03-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I ususally leave unless they have a lovely product photo that catches my eye.
What kind of product photo would you like to see on the front page? Like for clothing, etc. I have a photo of the clothing folded up, kind of cute I think, and farther down a photo of myself modeling it. I don't know if the first one is eye-catching enough, though. Should all clothing photos be on models?
#62 of 84 Old 03-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita
What kind of product photo would you like to see on the front page? Like for clothing, etc. I have a photo of the clothing folded up, kind of cute I think, and farther down a photo of myself modeling it. I don't know if the first one is eye-catching enough, though. Should all clothing photos be on models?
The folded up photo is cute and well adjusted, but you have to lose the timestamp. Everyone should turn that off on their digicam anyway, since the camera marks the file info with the time without actually ruining the image.
#63 of 84 Old 03-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Red

I hate typos. If that's the level of quality I can expect, then I'm not interested.

Take photos outdoors on a sunny day. Colors are truer, pictures are crisp.

Zacksmom, you spell better than me. I'm always confused about those darn apostrophe's! Or is it apostrophes'?
#64 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Zacksmom, you spell better than me. I'm always confused about those darn apostrophe's! Or is it apostrophes'?
Neither! You don't use them to indicate plurals!

If the "s" is on the word because there's more than one of an object, no apostrophe.

If the "s" is there because you are talking about a person who owns something, it is 's. Ex. "Those are Megan's books."

If there is a group of people who own something the apostrophe goes on the end. Ex. "It's time for the employees' lunch break now."

The exception to this rule is that personal pronouns (hers, his, its, theirs, etc.) NEVER take apostrophes.

You can also use the apostrophe to indicate a contraction. Ex. "Now there's a movie I'd like to see!"

This is why "it's" should ONLY be used for a contraction, NOT to indicate an object that belongs to "it". Since in that case "its" is a personal pronoun (like his, hers, mine) there is no apostrophe.
#65 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

i don't like to see folded up products no matter how nicely they are folded because I want the see the product itself, but if it is just a main page image and you have more detailed product images then I would not worry about that too much, but I would be more inclined to keep looking if I saw a whole product that caught my eye. I doubt that folded clothing would grab me, though?
(as a consumer) I may be weird on that.
#66 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 12:56 AM

Thanks! Those timestamps bother me too! I will have to figure out how to turn them off.
#67 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leddie
I also get sort of cranky when a website leaves up pictures/items that have been sold and puts a sold or on-hold sign underneath. I don't like to scroll through bunches of sold items to look for items that are available - especially if I see something I want and it has been sold! Quite frustrating.
I can see how this would be frustrating. I am wondering, however, if the reason for this may be that they may be able to recreate the sold item for you - have you ever tried asking? It may be a form of touting their talent, but if the item was in no way available then it wouldn't be good.
#68 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
What do you all think of this...
you see an advertisement or banner and it is of a certain style...a style that appeals to you and then you go to the site and it is NOTHING like the advertisement in terms of style.
Does that matter to you as a consumer?
#69 of 84 Old 03-05-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
What do you all think of this...
you see an advertisement or banner and it is of a certain style...a style that appeals to you and then you go to the site and it is NOTHING like the advertisement in terms of style.
Does that matter to you as a consumer?
I saw this last night too...a banner here was really cute and when I got to the site, it was a plain ole (rather ugly IMO) WAHM Shoppes template. Bleh.
#70 of 84 Old 03-06-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

yeah...i wonder if that bothers us more then it would bother the regular shopper, though?

interesting question to ponder.
my dh and I talked for an hour about the worth of web design and we had a lot of back and fourths on the converstaion in the viewpoint of how relative it was for consumers.

good conversation, but too much typing to lay it out here now!
:LOL
#71 of 84 Old 04-06-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I STILL haven't launched my new site...new as of JANUARY!!! LAST JANUARY!!!

I am my own pet peeve!
bwhaha...

#72 of 84 Old 04-07-2005, 02:34 AM

This thread has been valuable to me. I'm finishing up my site now.. still needing to decide on a gateway for cc payments and then take care of the shipping which is really kickin' my butt. Oh yeah.. gotta make some stuff to add to the site. lol that would be a good thing huh?
#73 of 84 Old 04-07-2005, 02:40 AM

Oh, I can't stand ill-spelled, poorly-edited sites with bad grammar and misused words. Drives me nuts and signals "We're Kinda Dumb," "We're Not Professional," "We Don't Care," and last, "Don't Buy From Us."
#74 of 84 Old 04-07-2005, 05:12 AM

Quote:
yeah...i wonder if that bothers us more then it would bother the regular shopper, though?
I'd say it does bother you more than the regular shopper. You have to realize that many of us see that same layout over and over again so we're just used to it. I navigate my way to the products and if I like them upon first glance I'll keep on looking but otherwise I'm done! But like others have said, if I see bad pictures or grammatical errors upon entering the site I don't usually make it to the products and if I do I usually don't stick around unless the entire world is raving about the products from that site.

I totally feel like they are uneducated and therefore couldn't possibly have a good product or customer service. Pictures are everything to me, if you're showing a diaper that looks wide through the crotch and then you show it on a baby and the angle you chose makes it look even wider, forget about it. I'm done there. Sad but true.

The fact is that the overall design of the site doesn't usually drive me away but a really cute or well designed one will keep me there twice as long just looking around.
#75 of 84 Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Good feedback Jen!
#76 of 84 Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
I totally feel like they are uneducated and therefore couldn't possibly have a good product or customer service.
Yes, sad but true... but I'll bet that I am not the only one with over 18 years of education who is terrible at type-o's I agree it does look that way, though.
#77 of 84 Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 AM

If a site starts w/flash animation or music I will NOT stay. Ugh. Also, many people are still using dialup.

Pics of products being used wrong annoy me a LOT. I'm talking specifically about baby carriers w/the baby way too low, or not snugged in so that mama is clutching rather than cradling her baby.

My site has tons of crappy photos, since most are taken by my 5yo daughter :LOL but she's pretty good for her age, and sometimes a bad photo is better than no photo at all.

Poor grammar/spelling is the ultimate turnoff for me. Websites that require side-to-side scrolling annoy me a ton, too. And also, I really like to see the whole navigation bar w/out scrolling.

I'm really enjoying this thread!
#78 of 84 Old 04-09-2005, 01:16 AM

What do you all think about product range? What I mean is, I'm thinking about adding a somewhat related but not 'handmade by me' category to my site, and I wonder just how much is too much for the customer to absorb? In the past I've sold this type of (vintage sewing and linens) item on ebay, but I would like to just add the stock and take advantage of the advertising I do on my web site, and make some extra money without having to hand make every item myself, if that makes sense.

Would a 'sister site' that uses the same shopping cart be better? The drawback to doing that (IMO, anyhow) is that I really want customers to be able to buy all the products at once, so they don't end up being overcharged for shipping, or get lost and never come back because I've confused them...

I'd love to hear what you think about product range and overload...
#79 of 84 Old 04-09-2005, 02:38 AM

If the items are connected, I don't see a problem. But if it's totally random...like, you sell cloth diapers, furniture, and computer software...well then I'm confused.
If your different things aren't connected, I think it would be good to have multiple sites that are linked up...if that makes sense.
#80 of 84 Old 04-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Great thread!

I admit I'm guilty of the "sold" (or, actually, I think mine says "Out of stock") trick. My thinking (which I am now re-thinking!) was that it would indicate that people are buying my stuff, ergo my stuff is eminently desirable, ergo people will want to buy it. Kind of a supply-and-demand thing. Ah well, live and learn!

My pet peeves have already all been mentioned here, I think. Poor grammar/spelling/typos and unprofessional language are the worst, in my opinion. I am also a freelance editor, and this stuff drives me crazy wherever I see it. But if you're starting a business, don't you want it to be as professional as possible? If you don't take the time to have it proofread/edited, it shows you don't much care about being the best you can be.

A while ago someone asked (on another message board) for opinions on her new site. A lot of us gave feedback, and I wrote and suggested she have someone proofread and edit it, because it was filled with errors (misplaced apostrophes, spelling mistakes) and a really shoddy, unprofessional style. Her writing style was very unclear -- it read as though she was just speaking casually to a neighbor, KWIM? It just made the whole operation seem soooo cheesy and low-rent and hastily-slapped-together. Well, she got very defensive and went on to explain what she meant in the confusing and unprofessional parts of her text. To which my response was, if you have to explain this, don't you think it's not communicating all that well in the first place? And when I checked back in a few weeks later, she hadn't made any of the suggested changes. So, OK, you asked for feedback but you don't really want it? : I think she might have been just fishing for compliments, expecting people to say, "Oh, great website! Great job!" and not looking for honest, constructive criticism.

And no, I'm not shy about letting people know they have typos or mistakes. I am a self-appointed Grammar Police Captain! :LOL

~Nick

Now I better proof this post reaaaalllly carefully....!
#81 of 84 Old 04-20-2005, 01:06 PM

I can't stand it when there is a product for sale but no price listed. You know, where you have to add it to the cart & check the invoice to see how much it is...UGH! I feel like I am in one of those stores where if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it!

Oh, and I TOTALLY second the trailing curser thing, it makes me sea sick. :Puke <---that's gross, sorry.

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#82 of 84 Old 04-20-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Nick, I am very lazy about proof reading, as you can notice in my posts. Especially in posting I am just in a hurry and type fast without going back for errors.

I know that must be annoyin to others!
Sorry!!!

Some WAHMs like unprofessional...they like that "talking to the neighbor" feel.
It also drives my dh batty when he sees that, but I have learned in working with wahms, that not everyone wants clean, crisp, professional

As a customer, however, I feel much more confident buying from a professional store, but it doesn't stop me from getting the best deal I can find on Froogle...
#83 of 84 Old 04-20-2005, 02:17 PM

i just wanted to say thanks for all the do's and dont's. right now ive got a geocities site but will be having someone make me a real site and ill be sure to tell him not to do all those things!!
#84 of 84 Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Some WAHMs like unprofessional...they like that "talking to the neighbor" feel.
It also drives my dh batty when he sees that, but I have learned in working with wahms, that not everyone wants clean, crisp, professional
I don't mind when the tone of a website is chatty or folksy or whatever...but you know how sometimes you read email posts or other text where there's no punctuation, no line breaks, and everything just kinda blurs together in one big run-on, and you can tell the person just typed it out as it came into their head? And then didn't clean it up? That's what I'm talking about. Like, "if you want one of these products and i dont have it in stock i can get it for you just email me or use the contact form below and well get back with you as soon as we can sometimes i dont check my email all that often so be patient with me lol thanks jennifer"

Aarrrrgghh! That kind of stream-of-consciousness makes me nuts. I always want to say, if you don't put a comma, and preferably a comma and a line break, between "thanks" and "jennifer," you're thanking yourself! But I digress. Anyhoo, my point is that someone can have the cutest product in the world, and the best prices, and fantastic customer service, but if they don't take the time to present themselves professionally, they're not going to do a booming business. At least, not from me.

My two snobby cents! :
~nick

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page