site improvement tips...shall we chat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want to discuss some pet peeves of things they commonly see on sites and reveal some favorites too!

This may help us if we have some things going on that aren't so great, but maybe we just don't know it! (like my email links that I just realized from reading another post could be causing me spam! )

anyone game?

I can start with a pet peeve. I was just browsing a lovely site. Very well done, good graphics, sharp photos, professional logo, nice content
BUT All the product images are taken with the product (a new organic cotton diaper) on the FLOOR!

That drops the level quite a bit to me. I would love to see the site owner redo those photos.

And for some positive feedback/tips:
using black velvet in photo shoots helps absorb the flash, although a black backgorund will not always look good (depends on your product)

for some items, such as jewelry, I have had good luck using white paper under the item and white paper all around it as well

I like uniform backgrounds, but that is a total preference thing...photoshop can be used to remove backgrounds if you have a steady hand, but another pet peeve is a poorly edited image!
LOL

next???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 05:06 PM

I don't like music on a site. I hate it if dd is asleep, then I cleck on a site and unexpected music starts playing! And those graphics that chase your cursor around. Just keep it simple! And poor navigation. I hate having to go back because there is no consistent navigation menu.
#3 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM

What a cool idea, I'm always open to suggestions and it will be nice to see what irks others The floor thing is a big turn off to me too.

I have two huge pet peeves...one is pop ups...I HATE them and the other is dead pictures...just the little x in the corner.....

I used to have a program that scanned your entire site for dead links...wish I could find it again...hehe..

Keep 'em comin' mamas!!!
#4 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 PM

I agree, I like pictures with uniform (and simple) backgrounds. Or, they don't even always have to be simple. There was a website and her pics were taken outdoors with a pretty grass/flower backround. It was really nice.

I also hate music and those cursor things. They drive me nuts!

I also don't like sites that are hard to navigate. If I can't find something easily, I get frustrated and leave.
#5 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 05:58 PM

I like seeing a date at the bottom of the page so I know if it is an active site.

I don't like pages that are cluttered.
#6 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom415
I don't like music on a site. I hate it if dd is asleep, then I cleck on a site and unexpected music starts playing! And those graphics that chase your cursor around. Just keep it simple! And poor navigation. I hate having to go back because there is no consistent navigation menu.
Gawd me too. I leave before I get started.
#7 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

midi files on sites (the cheesey music) just kill me!
They usually send me into a start that lands my tea in my lap!

I have learned to turn the vollume off
#8 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like a fairly uniform font size. Sometimes sites have huge font sizes and then smaller type. I like it to be fairly consistent with the exception of heads/subheads/text.

I hate it when text overlaps photos (which I assume is a mistake in coding, but I don't know what). I don't like a ton of white space. I like product photos on a uniform background, but I like "action shots" in natural settings; i.e. a baby carrier against a cloth backdrop, but someone wearing a baby carrier in a natural setting (walking outside, doing something around the house) vs. standing and looking awkward. (But I go back and forth on this.)

Also hate music and the trailing cursor thing. If you have light photos against a light background, I prefer them to have a black keyline around the photo (nothing too thick, maybe 5 pt). And the publishing person in me hates typos and errors in grammar and punctuation.
#9 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 PM

I hate when the tab order on a site is off!

I also get sort of cranky when a website leaves up pictures/items that have been sold and puts a sold or on-hold sign underneath. I don't like to scroll through bunches of sold items to look for items that are available - especially if I see something I want and it has been sold! Quite frustrating.

Picture quality has always been hard for us - I know we're guilty of cruddy pictures sometimes (never on the floor ~ wouldn't work for our products) There are too many items on our site to Photoshop them all. We've thought about bringing in a professional photographer to help us figure out lighting and stuff. Perhaps we should get more serious about that!

I love reading these - keep them coming!

I totally agree on the music and those cursor things.
#10 of 84 Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Cheesy captions and slogans really get me. I just want to know what I'm looking at, not some cheesed up sales pitch.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#11 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

bethwl - my dh is with you on that!
He can't tollerate mixed fonts and font sizes. It didn't used to bother me, but now it jumps out like crazy!

Sometimes mixing fonts is good, but randomly based on emotion at time of edit...not so good!
:LOL
#12 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 AM

This is a great idea.

The trailing cursor thingys drive me nutso too. I dislike music on a site. I'm also not crazy about seeing items that are sold or unavailable. I am bothered by the misuse of white on a website. Sometimes it's fine depending on graphics and design but for the most part it's just too stark and I find myself not wanting to linger. There are more but not coming to mind at the moment
#13 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 AM

lala,

what background would you suggest for pictures of yarn? black or white?

thanks
#14 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

because I am a minimilist I like to focus on the yarn itself and have no background, but a white background can lose a little of the look on your white and cream yarns.
So if you opt for no background you will maybe consider editing the images a bit to give them a shadow for the lighter colored ones so that they don't just blend with the page.

But to recommend a background, I'd like to see the site first and get a feel for the products, customer base being targeted and stuff like that too. That could change my mind on what I'd like personally.

Lovely yarn picture

I don't know if you can get to that link, but the yarn is pictured in a very lovely way that makes it look professional yet pretty enough that I "need to have it!"

I sometimes see yarn displayed in baskets outdoors. That can be pretty too.
I like close ups of the yarn in addition to a standard photo .

I guess I like that purlsoho store images for yarn. The one really nice display image with clear close ups of the individual yarns that link to clear images of those yarns on white backgrounds with minimal shadows.

Was that a lot of rambling?!
LOL
#15 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 PM

I like clean professional looking sites. I hate clutter and all kinds of flashing gifs and of course I leave immediately if any sound comes out of the site. If a site looks too shabby I'll simply leave. I also need to feel secure surfing and spending my money on the site.

I've been a web programmer and worked alongside some top web designers so I have pretty high standards now.

I think I saw the site with the diapers on the floor. I agree, that isn't very appealing.

Just yesterday I ordered a light tent and lights so I can take professional pictures of my products, I can't wait to try it out!

I'm currently working on the design of my new site so all your suggestions are very helpful.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#16 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

you know, white space doesn't bother me?
I am thinking of Google's home page, for example. I like it.

Or is that not the kind of white space that bothers you ?

curious...
#17 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva
I like clean professional looking sites. I hate clutter and all kinds of flashing gifs and of course I leave immediately if any sound comes out of the site. If a site looks too shabby I'll simply leave. I also need to feel secure surfing and spending my money on the site.

I've been a web programmer and worked alongside some top web designers so I have pretty high standards now.

I think I saw the site with the diapers on the floor. I agree, that isn't very appealing.

Just yesterday I ordered a light tent and lights so I can take professional pictures of my products, I can't wait to try it out!

I'm currently working on the design of my new site so all your suggestions are very helpful.
Did you get one of the ones on eBay for about $90? I am interested in one as well. I'll have to get a tripod for the digital.
#18 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM

I'm very interested in the light tent as well but not sure if my products would fit right in them for a picture.

I just thought of another...when a page has a TON of banner and hit exchange links on the store page...I don't like that...

something I LOVE is all the payment options being easy to find...If they can't take the fom of payment that I have then I need to go somewhere else...nothing like getting all giddy with great products in my cart and then finding out that they don't take 'that' form of payment

Wemoon: really, you don't like cheesy sayings? hmmm..I never thought of anyone not liking them...there are several sites I've found by googling the cheesy saying because that's all I could remember I'm so goofy!
#19 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 PM

Anne,
I went ahead and just ordered a new light tent: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=310574&is=REG

My husband and I are into photography and had been wanting one anyway, especially now that we started a web store.

Thanks for all your advice regarding Storefront btw! It's been coming along steadily and I just got all those add-ons yesterday, whew!

- Angela
#20 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 05:15 PM

I don't like sites that have advertisements, yk, the free ones?
I also don't like to see products that are sold out.
I like clear fonts. If I can't read the font, I leave.
#21 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 05:45 PM

I like about us pages. I try to support WAHM as much as possible and I like to know a little about her and her family or business. I hate websites that I have to register before I can even look at products, forget it I will go elsewhere.
I like clean sites, I hate a lot of movement, colors that are too bright, hate black backgrounds for the whole page. I think writing in bright colors is so annoying, makes my eyes hurt.

Wow I sound a bit picky huh?

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#22 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva
Anne,
I went ahead and just ordered a new light tent: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=310574&is=REG

My husband and I are into photography and had been wanting one anyway, especially now that we started a web store.

Thanks for all your advice regarding Storefront btw! It's been coming along steadily and I just got all those add-ons yesterday, whew!
LOL! Whew is right; you spend as much for the add-ons as you do for the shopping cart. You'll be happy though. They haven't notified me of the comission yet, so I'll have to contact them soon.

Thanks for the light box link. Edited to add:does it come with the black piece in the center?
#23 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 PM

To those that are trying out the lightbox, please do let us know how it goes for your pictures. We purchased a lightbox off of ebay a few months ago and did a lot of comparison pictures and found that it didn't really help that much. The quality change in the pictures didn't seem that noticeable and it really slowed down our picture taking. Perhaps we just need a new camera though. *sigh*
#24 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 08:49 PM

Yes, it includes that black thing. "The Digital Lighthouse can be lit from the sides, top, back, front or can be placed on a shooting table for bottom illumination. It also includes a removable black sweep that aids in preventing shadows on the background and provides complete separation from the item being photographed. "

I hope to get the light box and this weekend experiment with it. I'll post samples for you all to see. A good camera really does make a difference, I've always had average digital cameras but just this fall bought a digital Nikon D70 SLR camera (a prosumer type). It made a ton of difference in our family photos, I am glad I bought that camera just in time for my first baby.

I hope you get that commission, it should be a couple hundred dollars. I confirmed with Troy Cook (I think that was my salesguy.) Although it hasn't yet been 30 days since I ordered it, maybe it takes a month or so. Not many WAHMs use that storefront software I noticed...

- Angela
#25 of 84 Old 02-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Yeah, crummy pictures are probably my biggest pet peeve (well, I guess other than those mouse trailing thingys and music). I have a supplier that has taken all the pictures of their product on carpet and it really annoys me but I don't have the time to go and take out all the backgrounds.

I bought a light tent, lights, umbrellas, etc. and it does help a lot but I find myself not wanting to set the whole thing up to take a few pics. But we are getting a new camera so I know it will be MUCH better then and will take the time and effort to do it right.
#26 of 84 Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
you know, white space doesn't bother me?
I am thinking of Google's home page, for example. I like it.

Or is that not the kind of white space that bothers you ?

curious...

Yeah, that's actually what I'm talking about. I think Google's homepage is too stark. I don't mean everything has to be a color, but even the MDC background is not a really bright white. Just something slightly off--grey, beige, or slight yellow undertones takes the edge off for me. I have blue eyes and am very sensitive to light, so maybe it's just me! When I was a kid, my bathroom light was extremely bright (those exposed bulb fixtures) and I used to sit on the top step for a minute before going in to get ready for school.

On another note, do you all hate product photos taken on the floor no matter what? I'm asking because I'm in the process of getting my ecommerce site done and I showed my designers a photo that I had taken of one of my baby carriers laid out carefully on my hardwood floor and they said they thought it looked nice (sunny day, good lighting) against the wood. But this thread has me wondering.
--Beth
#27 of 84 Old 02-16-2005, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

yes I do hate all pictures of items laying on a hardwood floor...even it is a nice wood floor!

It just makes me visualize people and dogs, and kids, and spills and dirt and that is not where I want to see a new piece of clothing , a sling, or a diaper for my baby!

It really kills me when I see these high priced organic items laying on the floor!

be still my heart!

So, if it needs to be on the floor, I would put it in a nice basket or lay a lovely and simple piece of fabric (create your own photo box)

but this is just my opinion, and your pic may be just fabulous as is!

I should add...there was a lovely organic cotton quilt site that used all images outdoors with their amazing quilts hanging on the line on a sunny day.
That looked good. They were good pictures, though. I would guess a professional shoot.
They were really nice.

#28 of 84 Old 02-16-2005, 01:11 AM

Ok, LaLa. The suspense is killing me. What do you think of this photo:
http://public.fotki.com/danwarrell/b...pict0026.html?

My designers said they want to use it, but I'm starting to think I should reshoot a photo with a cloth backdrop (although I no longer have the carrier in question and I like the black and white contrast, but oh well).

--Beth
#29 of 84 Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pming you
#30 of 84 Old 02-16-2005, 01:44 AM

Your floor looks beautiful and very clean!

I have been reading alot of photography books this past year and some even suggested taking photos upon a nice wood floor or table. The warm tones bring out the best in your subject. I don't remember if they were talking about your baby or product merchandise, hehe.

I think it looks pretty good, it makes it look more "asian" to me. But you'll have problems with the flash reflecting off the floor I think, the shine might detract from your product. And if it does turn off a certain percentage of your customers, maybe it is safer to have a different background.

- Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page