I work 20- 30 hrs a week 18 100.00%
I work more than 30 hrs a week 17 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-29-2002, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do? How many hours a week? Do you like it? Want more or less?

I am thinking about starting my own business. My two ideas are making toys (with dh making lots of wooden toys) or a science class for preschools/daycares (I go to the school and do an experament, show pictures, and bring animals.)

Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 09-29-2002, 07:34 PM

I went first, but my work is much more boring than your ideas. I'm a medical editor, and I've worked out of my home for years (can't stand office politics). It was a bonus, though, when DD came along, because I have been able to adjust my hours to her needs.

This year, I'll be working about 20 hours a week, i guess. (she's in half-day kindergarten)
#3 of 37 Old 09-29-2002, 11:49 PM

I'm a computer programmer. I work with health care insurance data. The people I work with tell me what sort of reports they want and I do the extraction and number-crunching and send it back to them. Once in a while, I'm 'set loose' to build a model based on dollars but really that seems like too much free-thinking for me these days. I'm content to push the data around right now and let others do the real analysis. I think if I ever go back to school I would like to be a social demographer and spend all my time building cool statistical/behavioral models.

I work about 20-30 hours a week on average. Meaning I shoot for 3 hours a day, every day, but some days/weeks/months I don't work at all and sometimes I will have billable hours that look more like full time or overtime. I've got used to the ebb and flow and sometimes tidal waves or doldrums of my client's needs. On the other hand, I give clients a heads-up when I'm going to be away or whatever days I'm not available for rush work.

I have 'easy' children and if I can stay up past ten, I have a good chance of staying up til 2. Tiredness for me fortunately has more to do with stress levels than actual sleep.

Sometimes I think 3 hours a day is a lot, sometimes I think it is a little. In a couple years I would like to only work 2 hours a day but we will see. So far the work is enjoyable. I have been doing this sort of thing (medical, data, programming...) since I was 18 and it still seems interesting but social demography seems even more interesting as time goes by and it wouldn't be such a big shift from what I'm doing now. I think I can get a PhD without any expense and in fact with a stipend because of my academic record and my computer/research skills. One hopes. We'll have to see if my age at that time is a detriment or a bonus.

Sarah
#4 of 37 Old 09-29-2002, 11:57 PM

Removed because I posted twice - how did I do that?
#5 of 37 Old 09-30-2002, 10:38 PM

I make and sell tye dyes from home. I actually wouldn't call it a job considering I love it! Sometimes I work 3 to 4 nights sometimes only 1 night depending on orders and what not. I supply 2 stores, but do most of my profitable sales on Ebay. My biggest seller is tye de scrubs for doctors and nurses! I do everything, sheet sets, baby baskets for baby showers. aby slings, maternity, nursing clothes! If it is white or 100%cotton it can be died. I have taken about a month off considering I am pregnant and sick and cannot stay up like I used to. I have to work after the kids are asleep!
Shelly

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#6 of 37 Old 10-01-2002, 09:22 AM

Scoping for court reporters, and transcribing tapes (from various sources).

Work varies, it's a "feast or famine" kind of thing timewise.

I go to sleep with the kids & then DH wakes me up when he goes to bed, usually around midnight, and then I stay up however long I need to, depending on the backlog ... and depending on how much I have to say here at MDC ...

Not so crazy about the work, but since I was a court reporter for many years, I'm very familiar with it, and it's easy to do in pj's & bunny slippers ...

If I've got a deadline & trouble making it, though, I can usually ask my mother to come in & spend time with the kids so as to get work done in the daylight ...

BTW I can't vote more often than not anymore. Why is that, anyway?

- Amy
#7 of 37 Old 10-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Kim

I'm just starting a WAHM business. Before my dd was born I was a Web Developer/Designer for a big corporation. I created online training courses for thousands of our sales people, or management training for the company.

My WAH business model will look much the same as it did when I was employed outside the home. My clients will meet with me to discuss their ideas, I will design a storyboard of the website and graphics and propose it to them. If they like it, I start the actual building of the site.

It is a little difficult to stay current with technology (before dd, too!) but I'm hoping to make it work.

Kimberly
#8 of 37 Old 10-01-2002, 12:01 PM
pbk

I have a company along the lines of your first idea. I've had Peanut Butter Kisses in one form or another for 3.5 years now. It's been great, but if you need extra money right away, don't count on an online WAH business like that to supply much if any. Most of the other WAHM with similar businesses I know didn't make any profit in the first years (I was lucky, but my first year it was only like $500). I've heard from numerous places that it takes a good 5 years to see real profits. Right now, my business only pays for the children's clothing and a few small things in our budget.

That said, I love it and won't give it up unless it starts impeding on my family. I work anywhere from 5 hours a week to 20 during the holidays, but I don't count computer time as work because I'm usually nursing at the keyboard. I try to keep things flexible and easy for me so that I can work around my life. We didn't even close down when my son was born 3 weeks ago, but my husband pitched in more. I have made myself delegate things as the business has grown. I stopped sewing diapers two years ago, contracting them out instead. I do still sew the play silks, but only because I love them so much. As much as I love selling items I create, I won't let myself add anymore lines that I have to make. There just isn't time.

Brenda, mama to Abigail, Isabella and Vincent

http://www.peanutbutterkisses.com
#9 of 37 Old 10-01-2002, 10:54 PM

I consult for pension funds on corporate governance issues like executive compensation, boards of directors, conflicts of interest and the like, plus I do research, writing and press outreach for a company that provides governance analytics. I also take on occasional freelance writing/educational projects related to my field and do some public speaking (stuff that doesn't require an overnight trip).

I work about 20-30 hours a week, although my work is pretty seasonal. Fall is busy, while I can have summer almost off if I choose, which I do!

I am lucky because I absolutely love what I do and it is very flexible. I also feel like what I do contributes to making our economic system more democratic and participatory, which is as it should be. And now, after Enron, WorldCom, Tyco, Adelphia, et al, my family actually understands what I do.
#10 of 37 Old 10-02-2002, 12:50 PM
PM
Banned

I am a freelance translator (Italian and French into English). I receive and send my work by email. I have a web site to attract new clients. I also do all the bookeeping and marketing stuff (if that counts!).

I work between 0 and 60 hours/week. Like Amy said, "feast or famine" but it's mostly by choice.

I am on my very last translation ever (and it's driving me batty!). Soon I will be a SAHM in a quiet little house with a garden! I can't wait!
#11 of 37 Old 10-02-2002, 11:41 PM

I have a children's theme party business. I have costumes and I come out and entertain with a theme party adventure story where the kids act out the parts. I do all of the work. Invites, rsvps, serve cake cleanup everything. Here's my website
www.makebelieveparties.com
Its great fun. I might open a preschool in my home later on.

Mallory:
I also thought of the idea of doing science for preschools/daycares. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas. I was a K=1 teacher and I really miss it.
#12 of 37 Old 10-02-2002, 11:44 PM

I run a horse breeding farm and raise herding dogs. I also do bead work on dog collars, horse tack etc. I also do massage therapy for horses and dogs but Im not doing as much of it since it involves having to leave my boys with someone while I go to the horses. The boys go with to do all the barn work and have gotten pretty good at helping do things like fill water buckets. Im sure hey'll hate horses when they grow up!
#13 of 37 Old 10-03-2002, 12:59 AM
Liz

I am a freelance product designer. I design housewares like bath hardware (towel bars, TP holders), bath accessories (soap dishes, toothbrush holders), serving dishes, and dinnerware. My major client is a housewares manufacturer here in Toronto who makes acrylic and melamine serveware. We have a retainer agreement for three days a week so I have to be available to them for this time but actually I hardly ever work that much for them (don't tell!). I also do work on a royalty basis for a hardware manufacturer. This means I don't really get paid until it hits the shelves and sells big time. I have three lines of bath hardware due to hit Home Depot so hopefully I will see some good payback soon.

My son is at a wonderful home daycare five days a week. Some of you might wonder how that can be better than WOH. Well, I used to work WAY outside the home, like 1.5 hrs. each way, in a very high stress designer sweat shop. I'd drop my son off at the babysitters at 7:30am and I wouldn't get home until 7-8 at night (my husband would pick up the boy). We ate takeout every night and the house was a mess. Now, we have a leisurely breakfast followed by a nice walk to the babysitters. We stop and watch the trucks or talk about the flowers or collect chestnuts. He might get there by 9:30am. We arrive at the babysitters and I hang out and talk to her and get him settled in. I might make it home by 10. Then I sometimes have very productive days and others are write offs (yesterday for instance). I also do my housework, cooking and shopping during "work" hours so I don't have to do it when my son is around and wants to play. I walk up to pick him up at 5pm. I love love love it. So much I feel guilty.
#14 of 37 Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 PM

I care for the neighbor children while there mom's at work. She was a sahm until a few months ago. Now that she's getting divorced she has no choice but to work. It works out well though. Her kids used to come over and play all the time anyway, now I just get paid for it.
#15 of 37 Old 10-05-2002, 09:37 PM

I'm a Mary Kay consultant.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#16 of 37 Old 10-06-2002, 01:55 PM

I am a child care provider- nanny. Dd and I go to the family's house 3 days a week for 6 hrs a day and play with their 2 kids. It is wonderful for dd b/c she loves the kids, and since she is an only child and will be, it's really nice for her to make such close friends.
I was a nursery school teacher before dd was born. I always thought I would open an in home day care, but after working in one, and seeing the owner (a sahm) having to work 50 hrs a week, not making ends meet and burning out on kids, I decided nanny-ing would be better for me.
I love it, I met the family I work for at my La Leche League meeting, the mom is now a leader, so they're very compatable being AP as well.
#17 of 37 Old 10-06-2002, 02:54 PM

I run an online retail nursing clothing shop I voted that I sell stuff I make myself which is not technically true because although I design all my stuff, I contract the actual sewing out. I work about 10-20 hours a week, mostly when dd is sleeping and I get one good afternoon in every week while my mom takes dd. I love what I'm doing, I just got started in May and I am still very much in the red but I expected that so it's fine. I am reinvesting every penny into my business and adding some personal money as well.

I think your science class idea would be easier to get off the ground financially. Product oriented businesses cost waaaay more money than service oriented businesses
#18 of 37 Old 10-10-2002, 12:20 AM

I'm a professional pet groomer. I just left full time employment. I stayed on on Saturdays. My replacement has butchered so many haircuts on my clients pets that I'm getting calls at home to groom so, I'm grooming a bit from home. It can be a bit difficult to work around dd as she is only 4.5 months old. I have worked with her in the sling! I usually groom from 1 to 6 dogs a week at home. I'm putting all the money into dd's savings for college! My dh and I have not completed college degrees and really want dd to get a higher education. The language around here is "When you go to college...." not "If you go to college...." I hope she wants to go and I'm doing what I can to be sure the funds are there.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#19 of 37 Old 10-10-2002, 01:21 AM

I do in-home pet boarding. I'm a life-long animal nut especially for dogs so it doesn't even feel like work to have extra dogs around (a treat actually most of the time), although it is always in the back of my mind what a big responsibility it is as each of my clients are very loved members of their family. My dds enjoy it as well and of course only very loving family friendly pets are welcomed to stay with us. The financial rewards can be quite substantial especially around holidays.
btw, please adopt a homeless pet.
#20 of 37 Old 10-10-2002, 01:38 AM

interesting business sparkle! Do you mind me asking how much you charge? Also, do you have pets of your own and if so how do they get along? thanks!
#21 of 37 Old 10-10-2002, 12:33 PM

I charge $20/24hours and I could easily charge more.
We have three dogs of our own who are very used to pet clients coming and going. My dogs are social and I only pet sit other dogs who are also social. Dogs are social creatures by nature so most are quite happy to make new friends.
My clients very much appreciate the service I provide and I am happy to offer the dogs an alternative to boarding kennels which can be very stressful for them.
There's no such thing as competition really bc there's no way I could begin to take on all the dogs in our area. And it's great to have control of who and when I pet sit. So I can really cater it to what I want as well as what the client wants.
#22 of 37 Old 10-10-2002, 01:07 PM

I don't think of myself as a WAHM, but I guess if teaching occassional classes as a contractor counts, then count me in! Soon I will be teaching 4 yoga classes a week (outside of the house) and subbing for other instructors. My goal is to pay for groceries and mabye a few extras, but I will only be working about 5-8 hours a week, so I guess that is okay.

I was working 20 hours a week for a goverment agency and I'm on a leave of absence right now to see if this SAHM/ work a bit on the side thing will work out. I hope it does...

Kathleen
#23 of 37 Old 04-01-2003, 02:04 AM

It's so interesting to see what other people do! Brenda (PBK), I ordered some diapers from you a few weeks ago and I'm WAITING! :LOL Well, since you just had a baby I'll cut you some slack. ag

I catalog used books for sale online, for the bookstore I used to work at before I had Cole. I work about 20 hours a week.
#24 of 37 Old 04-02-2003, 11:43 PM

Once my baby comes this summer, I hope to be starting up a couple of things. I hope either to nanny or do a combo. As a former preschool teacher/Director, I love kids and would love to work with them again on a regular basis. The combo would be watching a couple kids after school, working as a post partum doula, doing some non-medical elder care and starting up my crafting business and doing crafts fairs. I LOVE crafts fairs. So, as long as I get to work with kids and families, and make soap and fun stuff (and make some money), I'll be happy! I will be poor but happy.

#25 of 37 Old 09-24-2005, 12:33 AM

Ok, now I sell Avon, make and sell slings and clean houses and businesses
#26 of 37 Old 09-24-2005, 02:57 AM

I was a copy editor in my former life, and I still pick up freelance jobs here and there. It's not reliable, but I can charge $25/hour! It's nice to pick up an extra hundred dollars now and then.
-Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#27 of 37 Old 09-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I LOVE crafts fairs.
How do you get involved with craft fairs? How do you find ones to get involved with? Do you stay right in your area, or even travel a bit for one?

We're doing our first craft fair in a month. It's a little one with a local church. And it's less for the money, more for the experience for my daughters to get a chance to sell some of their crafts that they've made...like a glorified lemonade stand.

But anyhow, just wondering how you network for craft fairs and if you have any tips.
#28 of 37 Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM

I sell my hand crafted wire art (candle holders, flower holders, napkin rings, etc) and my hand crafted miniature dolls and wooden accessories. I love it! I started years ago wholesaling my wire art and then started selling exclusively online about 2 years ago. I don't even have an official website yet (still in the works) but I've done very well with an online gallery and word-of-mouth advertising. I've been so swamped with custom orders the past 10 weeks that I haven't even had time to focus on inventory for my future site.

I work less than 20 hours most weeks. Some days I don't craft at all ... other days I might craft 4 or 5 hours. I have 5 boys... 3 teenagers, a 7 and 4 year old along with a toddler. I homeschool the 7 and 4 year old. I do almost all my crafting late at night. This means that some days I'm running on only 5 or 6 hours of sleep but I can usually catch up by sleeping in a little later on the weekends. I also keep a bag filled with everything I need for crafting my miniature dolls. When we have a doctor, dentist, or orthodontist appointment I just grab the bag and craft in the waiting room. I do the same thing when Jack has his taekwondo class.

Working outside the home was just never an option for me once I became determined to stay at home with my children. When I just had 2 boys I cleaned houses and took them with me. It was actually very good money at the time and I picked my own hours and days to work. With 5 boys it would be much more difficult. I didn't actually plan to make money through my crafts. It just sort of happened. I saw some wire candle holders in a shop one day and decided to make my own for Christmas gifts for family and friends that year. When my friend, an antique/gift shop owner, saw them... she asked to buy them all. I left them with her and went home to make more. Then I started exploring different wire and beads and creating my own unique designs. Selling the dolls and doll accessories was by accident also. I posted a picture on a message board of some I had crafted for my son's birthday party and requests for custom orders started that day.

Wooden toys are really a hot item right now. I do very well selling miniature, wooden doll furniture, twig pavilions, horse stables etc. I think you could do very well with the right advertising and a well designed website...both of which I believe are key. I think I just got lucky by doing so well without a site. I'm anxious to get mine completed. Doing custom orders often requires a lot of communication between me and the customer. I look forward to just crafting what I want, when I want... and posting everything in my online store. It will be less stressful and also allow me more time to work on new designs that I just don't have time for now.
#29 of 37 Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM

lol I didn't mean to write a book
#30 of 37 Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM

I am a holistic vet and currently WAHM though occasionally see a client, hopefully will see more again when I move and DD is a little older! I love being a WAHM though for the most part, though can get frazzled!

Who stole my signature!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page