putting priority mail in a street mailbox ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, I do a little work for my DH's at home business... anyway he gave me some priority packages to do and I just missed the mailman, so I walked down the street and stuck them in the regular mailbox.

This was two days ago and I just checked the status of the packages online and it doesn't even say they're en route I haven't said anything to DH yet.

did I make a mistake? has anyone else put priority mail packages in a regular mailbox...? sorry if this is a dumb ? but I figure there are lots of mailing mamas here.

thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 AM

How are you tracking them? I do delivery confirmation and the mail-carrier at the PO has to scan it... maybe it just didn't get scanned? Can you 'just happen' to check and see if they arrived?

--K knit.gifluxlove.gif = dsd '01, ds1 '01, ds2 '03, dd1 '06, dd2 '09 grouphug.gif

#3 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 AM

usps doesn't update to say anything is in route. they first update they provide is a line like "the usps was informed to expect a package later today for mailing" if you made an online label, then the next update is almost always the date and time it was delivered, unless something happened like the package was misrouted or delivery was attempted but not actually made. i used to work in the freight forwarding industry and unlike most companies that show departure scans and eta and current status, USPS gives minimal information. i think it's okay that you don't see an update. as long as the shipping was prepaid it should be no problem that you placed in in the street mailbox. i always do!
#4 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

phew! thanks. yes, I used stamps.com to print labels and check the status.

I just got nervous b/c some other packages were showing an en route status, but I guess the packages had to have been picked up and going somewhere. thanks.
#5 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 06:39 PM

I do it all the time! We live in condos, which only have a little box with a small slit for outgoing mail. I always have to take my packages to a regular drop box.
#6 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 PM

i do it all the time.
you can also have usps carrier pick up if you don't want to leave priority boxes outside
#7 of 9 Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I schedule a carrier pick-up online. When you do it by 2 am, it will be picked up that day when your mail carrier delivers your mail. They leave a confirmation slip. Just an option for the future that gives you more peace of mind than simply dropping them in a box.

Also, though, people say they do it (and I have too) and it works, the way I understand the USPS website, you're not supposed to place Priority Mail boxes of 1 lb. or more in a collection box, but it is supposed to be handed to a postal worker. Has anybody else read this before?
#8 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl
Also, though, people say they do it (and I have too) and it works, the way I understand the USPS website, you're not supposed to place Priority Mail boxes of 1 lb. or more in a collection box, but it is supposed to be handed to a postal worker. Has anybody else read this before?
http://usps.com/customersguide/dmm10...dReceivingMail

Packages that weigh one pound or more must be handed to your letter carrier or taken to a Post Office. Many locations are open late and on weekends.

I never drop big packages into a box, I always drop them at the post office or (more often) schedule a free pickup. The link to schedule a free pickup is here:
https://carrierpickup.usps.com/cgi-b...rierPickup.woa

And to address the OP's question- delivery confirmation is just that- confirmation. There seems to be a misconception that this is also tracking info, but that is not correct. DC simply confirms that the package was delivered.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 AM

I drop Priority Mail envelopes in the blue boxes all the time, but mine are always under 13 oz -- I believe that limit is stated on them. I used to drop them off at the PO, but the employees told me just to put them in the boxes if I've paid online. I almost wish I couldn't, because the mile walk to the PO is often the only exercise I get around here!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page