Informal poll about sigs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how many new wahm's or "small" wahm's don't have a business link in their sig cuz they can't afford it?

just wondering
#2 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Right now I don't just because I'm trying to set up my new cart and would prefer for customers to see the *new and improved* shopping experience. However, I think it will be another month or so to get it up and running for me.

It is another expense that I don't think I can do right at this moment...but I plan to...I think it has good results.
#3 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 02:38 PM

I took a few months to decide to get one because it was expensive, but finally I broke down and did it, and really it's not that bad, it's just hard because you have to pay $45 for 3 months up front, I wish they offered it at $15/month - that would be much easier to handle. But anyways, I've definitely seen results from it and I think it is well worth the investment
#4 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have one because I prefer my anonymity. I don't want things I say in my posts to be reflected in my business. I have had that experience here, where I was *greatly* annoyed by someone who had a business sig, and it made me not want to shop at her store. I feel like I can be more of myself this way.
#5 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader
I don't have one because I prefer my anonymity. I don't want things I say in my posts to be reflected in my business. I have had that experience here, where I was *greatly* annoyed by someone who had a business sig, and it made me not want to shop at her store. I feel like I can be more of myself this way.
Hmmm...that is a good point...I hope I never do anything to offend anyone
#6 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Though I do have a biz siggy, I haven't been posting here that much b/c of other responsibilities(and creative whims LOL) and have noticed a diff. in sales and looks at my store. It is hard to drop a chunk of money upfront, but ya gotta spend it(wisely) to make it. I have been lucky though and gotten my first subscription and then the renewal during siggy/banner promos. Still not cheap but definately cheaper.

As far as anonimity and p/o-ing people with my opinions, I generally avoid posting in hot-button issues, though I have expressed my opinion once or twice on these issues, don't know if it affected someone's decision to buy from me. Most often though, on those hot threads people have already brought up and made the points I would of. Anyways...I am always right though :LOL

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#7 of 9 Old 04-29-2005, 11:52 PM

I've found that banner ads are more effective- they are not dependant on how often I post. Plus, the banner ads show up on all of the forums, and reach my target audience better. I may not post frequently on the pregnancy forums ('cuz I'm not pregnant, and don't plan to be anytime in the near future), but my banner ad will still reach my intended audience.

When I only had the sig ad, I almost felt like I *should* post in the birth/pregnancy forums, just to get my name out there. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't spamming or anything like that; as a homebirther, sometimes doula and aspiring midwife, I certainly had a legitimate contribution to make to that part of MDC. But my point is that I felt like I needed to post in those areas to make myself known. It wasn't a good feeling.

Yes, it can be hard to scrape up the money for advertising. But the old saying, "you have to spend money to make money" has proved to be true in my experience.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#8 of 9 Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
When I only had the sig ad, I almost felt like I *should* post in the birth/pregnancy forums, just to get my name out there. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't spamming or anything like that; as a homebirther, sometimes doula and aspiring midwife, I certainly had a legitimate contribution to make to that part of MDC. But my point is that I felt like I needed to post in those areas to make myself known. It wasn't a good feeling.

I totally agree with this. I've seen a huge dif in my viewings based on how often I was posting. Since I do hope to get preggers in a few months I don't feel bad posting often (when I have something worthwhile to say) in the Preg board. Sometimes I don't have anything to add to topics on a given day and I feel like I'm wasting my sig payment, ykwim??

UGH. I feel like I keep putting money out and I'm yet to see a significant return. I have had zero purchases from the web site But I know it is still very early for me and I have so much more marketing to do.
#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2005, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just recently signed up for a sig. ad after being an MDC member for over 2.5 years, and a WAHM for 2, just didn't have the funds in our budget. For now, I'm just trying a 3 month package, and haven't checked my stats yet, but we've found sales have increased since we started paid advertising (just this year).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page