Need help with Web Design...testers please? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

I am working on designing a website for a business I have started with my mom. HOW FUN!! Anyway, I am new to webdesign, but want to do this myself rather than hire someone. Our advertisment started on MDC TODAY.

I am wondering if any of you would pretty please PM me so I can give you the site address (don't want to risk self promoting here) and give me some feedback on the website.

Please please please?? With sugar and a cherry on top?? I tried some pretty ambitious things (hover buttons, sounds, watermarks etc etc...) and would like to know if the site "works" and if you have any feedback for me.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Rachel
#2 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Ame

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can email your address to me...but I think it'd be ok to post it here.

amie@earthfriendlygoods.com
#3 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM

You can PM me with the addy too if you like
#4 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 01:32 PM

PM me your web addy too.,

I'm pretty sure it's ok to post your site to get feedback as long as you're not outright promoting yourself. It's been done here many times.
#5 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM

I am a marketing person, not a technical person so bear that in mind when reading my comments.

Navigation is a little tricky. I think it would be easier if you have the navigation bar on every page rather than expecting your customers to use the back button on every page.

From a marketing perspective, I think that your shipping price sounds high. I would change the price to $299 and say shipping is free.

Your product information page is more like a warning label is is frankly, a little scary to a parent with a newborn. Maybe add a product safety page to communicate that information. I would love to see how you make The Cloud. Maybe take some photos of one being made, along with a brief explanation of the process.

The last picture on the picture page is either cut off, or I am not sure what you are showing. Double check it to make sure it is right.

The "ordering" page should be a real call to action. That is where you want your customers to feel like they just have to have The Cloud and they have to have it right now! You have a spot for products available for immediate shipping but nothing is listed.

I am not really sure how to order, do I have to call you? Maybe you could explain a little more clearly how to order.

In my opinion, there are too many choices of cord. Maybe cut down the choices by about a third. Your customers could easily be overwhelmed by so many choices. Or, you could make samples out of a couple of different color combos and allow people to choose from them.

I think you are almost there, and if this is your first site you have done a great job ! I can't wait to hear how your business is doing!

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#6 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 04:48 PM

http://www.thebabycloud.com/

I think that is the one we're looking at, right
I just noticed the skyscraper today (new ads always jump out at me!)
#7 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

HR Fluff n’ Stuff , THANKS for all of the great suggestions! Tonight when DD is sleeping, I will get on and make some of the changes you suggested. You have some great insights!

Thanks La La for posting the link. I wasn't sure if I could/should. Yesterday was the first day of the skyscraper and the site is already up to 279 hits!! I just started the counter yesterday. WOW! That seems like a lot.

This is a business that I am doing with my mother. SHe is the inventor and I have pictures of me as a baby on The Baby Cloud. The picture on the home page is actually of my baby on a cloud that my mom made. It is fun doing this together. The cool thing is that my mom has recently decided to stay home with my sister (who is in second grade) and home school her -- so this business will support us both (hopefully).

Anyway, we are both new to this and I am doing all of the technical stuff so I am sure I will be posting with questions as this gets going. Keep those suggestions and thoughts coming! Anything I can do to make this better will make it more likely we can pull this off!!!

THanks again everyone. I totally appreciate it!

Rachel

#8 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 PM

As a customer , here are some things I noticed:

You lost your buttons when I went to each page. I hate to use the back browser button. I love the buttons to remain on the side where they are accessible on every page.

I would like to see more pictures. More on the front page, more on the check out page. Also, a splashier (is that a word?) homepage. Something to draw me in, make me want to check the site out. More visuals

I think a page about the benefits of motion for babies. More about the benefits of a baby hammock like this.

It sounds like a cool concept though Hope it goes well!!

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#9 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Meco!!!

I really apprecate the suggestions. I will make some changes tonight and post here when the updates are live.

Thanks again!

Rachel
#10 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

I can't see your navigation at all in Firefox - they're just blank, gray buttons. I might be missing a plug in, but it doesn't give me a warning or anything, there's just no way to get around the site unless I scroll down to the bottom.

I second the other opinion that navigation needs to be the same on every page, you'll lose customers by making them use their back button.

Your background isn't seamless, I see big lines across my screen where the graphic repeats, it's a little distracting.

Your static pages like pictures is titled "new page 1" that's going to hurt you in search engine indexing.

I see that you're using the Curlz font, that will only show up on people's monitors who actually have Curlz on their hard drive.

The "click here to pay" button probably ought to be turned into individual buy buttons for each option. It takes me to a new page where I have to remember what price to enter myself. The more steps you ask a customer to do, the less they're going to stick around and complete the sale.

Your link on the colors page:

http://www.thebabycloud.com/Colors%20and%20Ordering.htm

here: [file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/My Webs/THE BABY CLOUD/photogallery/photo13370/real.htm]

in which you tell me I can see clouds that are available for immediate shipping... that appears to be a file on your hard drive, there is no way I can access that as a customer. It needs to be uploaded to your web space and linked so customers can view it.

You also say that there are three pages of colors, but I see no way to navigate to the other two pages. All I see is a list of cords.

I'm not sure if there are more links in the navigation I can't see, but I'm left wondering what the cloud is exactly and how it works.

I hope that helps ;o)
#11 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I took away the sound on the buttons....changed the layout of a few pages...and a few other minor fixes.

I really LOVE the idea of putting the navigation buttons on all pages, but can't seem to get FrontPage to let me do this.

Anyone know how to do this? I am working with FrontPage 2002. I would send lots of virtual chocolate your way if you can help me....

Rachel
#12 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Banned

I'm not sure how Front Page works, can you just cut and paste the HTML and java it generates and paste it onto the other pages?
#13 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go through and look at the things you mentioned. I really appreciate your time!!!

We put links at the bottom of each page for people who can't see the buttons, but maybe I just need to get rid of them all together and put something everyone can see.

Great idea on the paypal button.

Not sure how I can fix the background...it looks seamless on my computer. Any ideas out there?? It is so strange how something can look great on my computer when I upload it and then not even show on someone elses.

That is the second comment about the font, so I will change that tonight too. I just want something that is not totally booring. Any ideas what is more universal that is a little bit different?

Thanks again!!

Rachel
#14 of 16 Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 PM

There is a way to do that with Frontpage, it's called Shared Borders. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help figuring it out
#15 of 16 Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

I can see your buttons today! And they're on all the pages now, that is much better.

People have their monitors set on different resolutions, my resolution is pretty big b/c I have a 17" screen, so your background repeats four times. Do a search on a "seamless cloud background" that will repeat without seams regardless of the screen width.

Another thing you can do is set your site inside a fixed table that is about 750 pixels wide, then your website looks the same no matter what resolution another person's screen is set at. It might be a little easier on the eyes to put your cloud background underneath a plain white or light blue table. Let's see... kind of like my blog site: www.verymom.com - see how the seamless background repeats behind the main area? That's not totally necessary, but it might give your website a tidy-er look.

I'm finding the Monotype Corvisa font a little hard to read on your About Us page & well... a lot of people hate comic sans (see: www.bancomicsans.com ) I find it really hard to read and soooo overused.

I'd stick with Verdana or Tahoma for an easy to read website.

Your second photo here: http://www.thebabycloud.com/Product%...mation%202.htm is still getting cut off, it must not have uploaded properly.

Check into the Paypal shopping cart and create individual buttons for your items, it's pretty easy to do

You've made a lot of good changes, I hope I don't sound too harsh
#16 of 16 Old 05-04-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

EXCELLENT suggestions. Thanks!!

It has been hard the last few days to find time when DD is asleep to make these changes -- but the font and the background issue are next on my list.

Thanks!

Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page