There *HAS* to be a better way...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
of cutting fabric. Does anyone have any kind of an industrial fabric cutter?
The rotary cutter and mat are just not cutting it anymore (no pun intended)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 12:21 PM

I have a pair of electric scissors made by Dritz. my Mom bought them for me after I asked her to help me with cutting. I guess she didn't want to help I havn't used them much (got them just last week) but they do cut really well, a bit noisy though. She got them from our local Phaff shop, I'm not sure how much they were.
#3 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 12:50 PM

You can buy a semi industrial electric rotary cutter (J Ennis Fabrics) is were I get that type of equipment. I think it is about $300 Canadian.It can cut many layers at one time.
www.jennisfabrics.com
#4 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 PM

We have an industrial rotary cutter. Its great although it does make me a bit nervous at times - seem so easy to lose a finger if you aren't paying full attention. Ours was around $300 new. But it has been a life saver as far as time and ease go. Our sewing team would not work without it.

And we are looking into getting an industrial stright knife cutter for different fabrics but we have only just started checking them out.
#5 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahdbc
We have an industrial rotary cutter. Its great although it does make me a bit nervous at times - seem so easy to lose a finger if you aren't paying full attention. Ours was around $300 new.
Do you have a brand name?
#6 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Sorry - here is what we have although it was a bit cheaper when we bought it over a year ago. It is a Consew which is a very reliable brand. Yamata makes a similiar one for around 1/2 the price.

http://homeembroiderymachines.com/pr...1482-0135.html
#7 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 02:48 PM

So can anyone give me a quickie rundown of how one of those works?

Laura
Mom to three
#8 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didelphus
With ours, you plug it in, turn it on and it nearly runs by itself. The motor spins the rotary blade and also somewhat propels the entire machine. All you have to do is hold on and gently steer around your pattern. Cuts (through many, many layers of fabric) like butter ..... oh, and the only other thing you have to do is keep your fingers out of the way!
#9 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by didelphus
Laura, are you thinking what I'm thinking? WOW! All these great cutters out there, and we're still cutting like the Flinstones.
#10 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahdbc
With ours, you plug it in, turn it on and it nearly runs by itself. The motor spins the rotary blade and also somewhat propels the entire machine. All you have to do is hold on and gently steer around your pattern. Cuts (through many, many layers of fabric) like butter ..... oh, and the only other thing you have to do is keep your fingers out of the way!
What do you put underneath of it? Like underneath all your layers so you don't end up cutting through like whatever you're cutting on? LOL
#11 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
All these great cutters out there, and we're still cutting like the Flinstones.
That's what I'm thinking for sure! :LOL Although that thing looks pretty scarey, and not like something I could run while DS sleeps in the next room.
#12 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynski
Although that thing looks pretty scarey, and not like something I could run while DS sleeps in the next room.
ITA, but with the amount of layers you can cut at one time, you're gonna be cutting a lot LESS!
#13 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Wow scary. It was a JUMP for me to go to using a rotARY CUTTER FOR DIAPERS. lol I ONLY USED THEM FOR QUILTS BEFORE, Sorry about the caps. typing one handeed LOL
anyway. I find my olfa cutter and my big mat work great. and I spend 2 hours a night at least.. cutting.

mabye someday if I have an extra few hundred laying around I will buy soemhting like that....

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#14 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
What do you put underneath of it? Like underneath all your layers so you don't end up cutting through like whatever you're cutting on? LOL
We use a rotary mat underneath but it has a built in plate underneath the blade to protect your work surface. So you kind of glide the fabric between the rotary blade and the bottom plate of the cutter.

And for what its worth - it isn't as though we just had the $300 extra dollars burning a hole in our pockets but this has by far been a worthwhile investment. It cuts cutting time down to a small fraction of what it used to be and makes the work so much easier. In the end, it reduces the production cost of each diaper. Certainly worth it if you can swing it and if you cut really large amounts of fabric at a time

But yes, dangerous with little ones running around. And they don't handle being droped to the floor too well either :LOL Our first seamstress tripped over the cord of one and sent it crashing onto her hard wood floor. It died an instant death.
#15 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Hmm. Yes, I feel stone age! I still use regular scissors! Problem is I do so much custom stuff that I rarely cut more than one or two layers of the same stuff at a time. I usually only rough cut and use the serger for the rest. I wonder if something like that would help me/save time? You know, AllBrands is right down the road from me !! Might have to take a little field trip!
Speaking of, ladies, what are your patterns/templates made of?

Laura
Mom to three
#16 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 06:05 PM

I use regular scissors too. I'm too inept to use the rotary cutter. : I tried it but never got it to work and then suddenly the blade was dull. Stone age Jen! :LOL My patterns are cut from thick stock drawing paper. Also very stone age, I'm sure.

If I was close to them, I'm sure I'd be there looking for a demo! Even if you do mostly customs it would probably help to cut several different fabrics in the same size at the same time.
#17 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

My patterns are made of thick/heavy poster board.

I can't believe you guys use scissors!! That's not even Flinstones, that's the Dinosaur era :LOL

How cool that AllBrands is down the road from you!! I took a trip home and realized that Mother-Ease dipes are made on MY STREET!! LOL
#18 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I can't believe you guys use scissors!! That's not even Flinstones, that's the Dinosaur era :LOL
:LOL I know! In my defense, DH does a lot of cutting and he wouldn't even attempt the rotary. I gave it another try last weekend but the blade is so dull it would be easier to use my teeth .
#19 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 08:11 PM

I also have an industrial rotary cutter (http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02212-0805.html) and I would never... ever go back to cutting with anything else.
It ROCKS!
It's not a name brand, but I haven't had a problem with it and it feels solid and nice to work with. It was about $80 shipped with an extra blade.
There are also an upright handheld type (http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02211-0805.html)
that can cut through more than the wee one I have, and if you want to get REALLY crazy, there are also bandsaws for fabric.

I just realized that someone else allready mentioned allbrands. :
Sorry. I'm tired. Hope my post was still helpful.

Also, ETA My patterns are made on either hard paper or tyvek, And I trace them onto the fabric with a dissapearing inkpen.
#20 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm debating btwn this one and this one

Anyone wanna comment on these two? Which would you go with? Money is no object because I want one that I will be happy with.
#21 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone wanna comment on these two? Which would you go with? Money is no object because I want one that I will be happy with.
My vote would be for the Yamata. I hear that name around a lot and I do think they have a good reputation for solid, long lasting machines.

You are going to having an industrial cutter!!
#22 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 PM

Ah crap. Like I NEEDED something else to add to my "must have" list!
I'll call AllBrands tomorrow and see if they have any demos on the sales floor. I'd love to try them out!

Laura
Mom to three
#23 of 45 Old 06-07-2005, 11:56 PM

I am very jealous - I would LOVE to spend some time on their sales floor (and I really 'msut have' a straight knife cutter :LOL ) Hope you find a great deal!
#24 of 45 Old 06-08-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynski
:LOL I know! In my defense, DH does a lot of cutting and he wouldn't even attempt the rotary. I gave it another try last weekend but the blade is so dull it would be easier to use my teeth .
Thats great huby helps. LOL i cant even get my hubby to put my snaps on after they are marked!!!! and with my RA the snap press and I dont get along most nights. LOL

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#25 of 45 Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 AM

OK I go thru patterns like mad. I use a rotary cuter that decreases the life span of my patterns when I am tired.
I just bought some stencil plastic for quilting. I have no diea what it is called, but it is for my to template out my snap placements. I have been using on of those heavy folders, and it worked great but it wears out often, so I bought plastic. I NEED to redo all my patters, Maybe I will work on that tonight....

#26 of 45 Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Leah, about how long would you say a blade lasts?
#27 of 45 Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Leah, about how long would you say a blade lasts?
Our cutter has a built in sharpener (you turn it on but rather than cutting fabric, you lower the sharpener down over the blade and let it spin through it). This cutter has been in constant (my sewing team works 40 hours/week) use for 9 months now and we have not switched blades although we did have to replace a switch some time ago.

It does require frequent qreasing but that is only messy, not time consuming or expensive.
#28 of 45 Old 06-09-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Leah, do you cut hemp with your cutter?
#29 of 45 Old 06-09-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Hey Leah, do you cut hemp with your cutter?
I do (french terry and jersey). That was all we did with it for quite some time. We have only just now added organic cotton, velour, etc. The french terry can be linty but its not a problem at all.
#30 of 45 Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

One last question!

Do you have any DO's and DON'T's when using the cutter?
Any words of wisdom for a newbie?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page