Any WAHP's here who don't make baby gear? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Merpk, I thought I did join the last NY FYT thread but I haven't been getting notifications so I'll definately have to find it soon.

My DH is leaving on Wednesday this week.. leaving a month before Kaius and I so that he can find a place and a job any suggestions??

Thanks!

There are a lot of Canadians on this thread Do you think our year long paid mat leave helps?

You mamas sure are creative and have some interesting jobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlowyn
dianna11, I just moved part of my sewing studio upstairs from the area I had set up in the basement. My baby hates the basement, and have not been able to sew a darn thing since she was born. It's a nice basement too, finished, carpeted...maybe there is some vibe down there she hates. Cool that you make corsets, they are quite an artform.
Yup, I know what that's like, Izzy hates the basement too. I manage to snaek down there while she's napping and after dinner, DH takes her for a long walk, so I have at least an hour of uninterrupted sewing time.
I thought it might be the lighting too, it's nasty flourescent lighting - DH is very migraine sensitive to them too.
#33 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 11:16 AM

Hey, I see our babies are just a few weeks apart in age :LOL I had not thought about the lighting. We do have flourscent lights, but they are the full spectrum type (DH works in the lighting industry, we must have proper light everywhere ) but still not the same as sunshine.
I moved my primary machine and one of the sergers into the "was the dining room/now the play room" area. DD just began sitting on her own, and little DS plays with her. I'll be sewing up here, but doing all the cutting down stairs. I know it will be better for everyone all around!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#34 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Well, it's not the year long mat leave for me--because I was running this business before I got pregnant I was not eligible for any leave at all--dh did however take 5 mos off.
#35 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Recycled Object Artist (ok, I take junk and natural items and make them into furniture and home and garden art). I also have a farmstand in my front yard. It's really my sister's business but I help out, it's in my yard and she pays me, so that's work at home, right?
#36 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
How does one get into book indexing as a job? That sounds cool, really...

Dar
grasshopper go to www.asindexing.org and all your questions will be answered. feel free to pm with specific questions.
#37 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM

I sell all sorts of "stuff" on ebay. It buys us some groceries and gives me a little mad money. I am amazed at what sells. I have had a hundred unsuccessful garage sales but I'm selling on a regular basis to people all over the world. We have also just started a window washing business. Our sons 3 and 17 come with us and help. We have enjoyed working as a family. You should pick something that you enjoy doing. My mother has recently taken up painting and is selling them to her clients at work faster than she can paint them.
#38 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 03:20 PM

I am a "mostly WAH" with an occassional meeting and client trip, Mom.

I am a lean manufacturing consultant for a non-profit company, we are chartered to help small to mid-sized manufacturers become more productive.
#39 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 04:37 PM

I started WAHing before I got pg with DD...as a freelance medical writer/editor. Then I got hired full-time by a website to do the same thing, only from home.

Right now I do both - but don't have much freelance work and am not looking for it, since I'm 8 mos pg and don't want to get caught in the middle of a project when the baby comes.

I sell on ebay too...but mostly to appease my guilty conscience after I buy too many baby clothes (or dipes!).

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#40 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just started writing and selling curriculum.
I;m also a UBB rep (which is baby) but I really stink at sales.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#41 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 07:48 PM

I am a wahm. I make baby oriented things but also make dice gaming bags, purses, grocery sack holder, book covers and more. I just started and don't yet have site online but have loads of pics of my items. I really enhoy doing the wide range of things. One cool thing I have found that is a blast is Kool-Aid or Capri-Sun purses! Those have been a HUGE hit!

Mandi
#42 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Another Canadian here...

Quote:
There are a lot of Canadians on this thread Do you think our year long paid mat leave helps?
Yes...I totally do! I know for me, after being at home for a year, there was no way I was going to go back to work.

I do data entry/editing for a Mystery Shopping Co. and also have my jewelry business.
#43 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 AM

I am a stay-at-home/ work-at-home mom. I use hand tools and steel wire to transform new and vintage glassware into unique candle/flower holders ... then trim them with glass/crystal beads. I also craft miniature wire frame dolls, miniature wooden accessories, wood pavilions, and wool felt animals. My website is not quite ready for opening yet but hoping it will be in a few weeks. I've sold exclusively through an on-line gallery which shows my pics and prices and have relied on word of mouth for advertising which has been incredible.
#44 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 AM

:

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#45 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 10:44 AM

i build websites/e-stores...
#46 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Have any of you wahm who arent selling baby gear paid to advertise at MDC? DO you think it would be worthwhile?
I can't decide if I should or not, I am going to have to wait untill I can afford it as well.
#47 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 PM

i advertise my web design business @MDC. the MDC mamas are VERY willing to do business with a WAHM. many even go out of there way to find a WAHM. so IMHO if you have/make/offer something that a mama would buy, then advertising here is worth it.
#48 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AinNJ
i advertise my web design business @MDC. the MDC mamas are VERY willing to do business with a WAHM. many even go out of there way to find a WAHM. so IMHO if you have/make/offer something that a mama would buy, then advertising here is worth it.
Thanks! THat helps with my decision
#49 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjarine
Have any of you wahm who arent selling baby gear paid to advertise at MDC? DO you think it would be worthwhile?
I can't decide if I should or not, I am going to have to wait untill I can afford it as well.
I opted for a signature ad. My thought were that almost everyone would see it, and I could put pertinent info there, as well as a link to my site. It's worked out great so far!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#50 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 07:04 PM

I've been a WAHM since dd was born in 2001. (we have had the business since 1996 though). I have an online Vintage clothing business. I do take the kids to our 'warehouse' but luckily it's just across the field on our property.
#51 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 07:06 PM

I have checked out your site and I totally think that you would get business from advertising here! Especially the cute bags (diaper bags?) and little dresses! In fact, I am going to order one of the fairy bags when I get my financial aid

V.
#52 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 PM

I make cloth menstrual pads
#53 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 PM

I make soy candles & natural bath & body products. I did recently add a couple baby care items (calendula oil & tush cream) but my business isn't primarily baby stuff by any means.

At this point I'm not doing any paid advertising, still working on getting a shopping cart on my site so don't want to pay for advertising until it's up & running. And honestly I'm doing well enough from word of mouth, repeat business that I'm not in a hurry to advertise, while I'm still putting so much time into developing/testing new products I don't want my business to grow so fast that I can't keep up w/ it all and still have time to play w/ my kids & such. BUT when I'm ready to truely advertise I'll definately look into at least signature advertising here. Combination of MDC moms likeing to support WAHMs in general & the fact that my products are more "natural" than many "normal' products make me think it would be a good market for my products.
#54 of 57 Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We make wood toys and playsilks . We don't even do baby toys specifically, so yep, it looks like there are a lot of us here!
#55 of 57 Old 06-29-2005, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjarine
:LOL :LOL :LOL

I don't think high priced custom corsetry would go over very well here.
#56 of 57 Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 AM

i work on the map for our county's 911. also the phone database. it's the job i had before baby #1 5 yrs ago. when he was born i moved my office home. i went from full time with benefits to a contracted employee (no benefits) but i got a good pay raise out of it(compensation for benefits lost) and work part time (24 hrs a week). i love my job and am so greatful that i was able to continue it. it's like keeping my foot in the door.
so count me in as a telecommuter!
#57 of 57 Old 06-29-2005, 11:33 PM

Not baby gear, but my original product was inspired my pregnancy....jewelry, meditation aides and spiritual symbols....and has evolved from there.

I haven't started advertising here other than the business siggy. For me it is about getting my (business) name out there to women who are like minded. Mothering was one of the best places I could think of, you know: alternative, open minded, possibly a little granola-ish

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page