Any WAHP's here who don't make baby gear? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I found out I was pregnant, DH and I bought a house and decided to move my sewing studio into the basement so it would be easier for me to work after the baby was born (I make corsets). So, after working outside of the home for 5 years, I was now working at home again.

It really has made life a lot easier not having to travel to the studio, or pay for the studio for that matter. I do miss strolling through one of the coolest parts of Toronto to get there and interacting with clients.

There are so many really great WAHM business that I have come across since DD was born (Mostly through MDC!), but almost all of them are baby gear oriented. Do WAHP's who do other things just not discuss it, or is it just not as common here?

Just curious
#2 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Kim

Web Designer/Developer here. I do this purely part-time. Maybe 5 projects a year -- or whatever comes up. It's been crazy to get work done with two small children.

By the way, we're visiting Toronto later this summer. (Actually, York/N. Toronto) How is public transit if we are staying in N. Toronto? Will we need a rental car? Fun things to do?
#3 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:23 PM

I am a WAH data entry person and a full time SAH (study at home) student

V.
#4 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:26 PM

I mostly do graphic design (print- and web-based), though I've ventured into the the fiber arts as well -- I live in Pickering.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#5 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:37 PM

I design and make handmade clothing from home, I sell it at festivals and at the market.
#6 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Graphics, marketing and publishing WAHM here

I started WAH after the birth of my second child. It was easy when she was a baby but now that she is one (yes still a baby but not content to sit on my lap and nurse for hours) it is a lot more difficult to squeeze in my fourty hour work week, make all my deadlines and still hang with the kids.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#7 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:48 PM

I sell handmade hempsoap and teach yoga. Tangarine, that's almost like my dd's middle name! PS I'm in Calgary!
#8 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 06:49 PM

freelance book indexer here.
#9 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 07:07 PM

ooo...could you spam me? I am looking for a nice long-sleeved, light material, flowy sexy (but not so sexy that I can't wear it out without fending off DH every minute )shirt that would look nice on a mmm...well endowed woman (38G) everything that I like is for the little-t's IYKWIM

V.
#10 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
By the way, we're visiting Toronto later this summer. (Actually, York/N. Toronto) How is public transit if we are staying in N. Toronto? Will we need a rental car? Fun things to do?

Toronto transit is AWESOME! There are streetcars, subways, busses and trains that run with alarming frequency. People here get tense if they have to wait for more than 5 minutes for their particular mode of transit to arrive. Toronto is one of those places that you really don't need a car, DH and I don't own one, I walk everywhere, or take transit and DH rides his bike. You likely won't need to rent a car to get around the city, parking fees are atrocious! Fun things to do... well, I'm going to Center Island with my midwives moms group. There is also Kensington Market - very popular with crunchy types China Town is right beside it. It really depends what you're interested in.
#11 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
ooo...could you spam me? I am looking for a nice long-sleeved, light material, flowy sexy (but not so sexy that I can't wear it out without fending off DH every minute )shirt that would look nice on a mmm...well endowed woman (38G) everything that I like is for the little-t's IYKWIM

V.
Hmm, I'm really not that schooled in flowy material, I'm more about brocades and vinyl. Sorry.
#12 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 PM

sorry, should have clarified that I was talking to Tanja. Though I am sure that my DH would like it I bought something from you too.....hmmm...maybe you should spam me too
#13 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 08:34 PM

Hey, spam me, spam me!!! Is it really possible to make a corset w/out a personal fitting? I looove corsets--- so beautiful and sexy. Do you have a link?
~L
ps: okay, to slightly address the question.. Im thinking of starting an at home business.. thinking and thinking... It wouldnt be mother stuff or baby stuff since im not much of a sewer and i could make soap but thats so done, my health-food store has a huge variety.
#14 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
How does one get into book indexing as a job? That sounds cool, really...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#15 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraess
Hey, spam me, spam me!!! Is it really possible to make a corset w/out a personal fitting? I looove corsets--- so beautiful and sexy. Do you have a link?
~L
Most of my clients order online, well, pretty much all of them now that I'm at home ( It's hard to do a professional fitting with a big "Jumperoo" in the living room and a baby attached to my boob
Starkers! is my company. The order info is found there too
#16 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 10:48 PM

My husband doesn't have his own business but works from home 99% of the time.he works for fair isaac as a consultant.Don't know if this helps
#17 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 10:54 PM

I'm not a mom yet, but working on that. I work from my home as a Virtual Assistant - providing administrative support to small businesses and Realtors.
#18 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 10:56 PM

Artist/muralist here
#19 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM

i make books/zines. i dont make a living at it, but i sell them. dont know if that counts, :LOL
#20 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 PM

I do dicta typing from home for Cybersecretaries.

I will be working contract from home with my full time office job once I move from the westcoast of Canada to NYC in 2 weeks. I also sell legal insurance as my home based business.... see the link below

Great thread!
#21 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
I want to learn to do that! I have a friend here who does it. I have edited two books for publication, both from home. Lately I've been writing grant proposals for a non-profit, also from home.

But it looks like I'm going to be looking for a full time job again.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#22 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 11:50 PM

My dh works from home now. I don't know what to call him, he writes software, mostly Java. His last title was senior architect, but now he's a consultant or contractor or something. (I make baby gear )
#23 of 57 Old 06-26-2005, 11:53 PM

Since DD was born, I've had three different types of WAH jobs:

1) research assistant (I mostly telecommute but sometimes go into the "office"--another WAHM's house--on weekends when DH is home with DD)
2) free-lance editor of resumes, coverletters, dissertations, and grant proposals
3) adjuct professor (I count this as WAH because I do all of my prep work at home and teach either at night or when DD is in preschool.)

As much as I love staying home with DD and appreciate that I'm able to, I also really enjoy interacting with adults, talking about something that's not realted to kids, and being valued for doing something besides parenting.
#24 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl
I sell handmade hempsoap and teach yoga. Tangarine, that's almost like my dd's middle name! PS I'm in Calgary!
thats so cool!!
#25 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 AM

I'm a freelance translator and work about 3-5 hour/week.
#26 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 02:08 AM

Wow, I can't believe how many Canadians and Ontarians are posting to this thread!!! We need to start a local WAHM marketing group or something!

I work from home and from my truck. I run a boarding kennel and doggie daycare here, I also train dogs (although since dd was born, not much training going on :LOL) I love working from home, but sometimes I just want my home to be my own again--ya know?
#27 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 02:35 AM

WAHM scopist (doing editing/proofing for court reporters). Also do standard transcription work when it comes along.

minicooper, when you get to NYC then it'll be time to join the NYC mamas tribes in FYT. Do you have a place to live yet?
#28 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 AM

I sell Lego...and I don't let my kids play with it.
#29 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
I sell Lego...and I don't let my kids play with it.
:LOL

Wow, there really are a lot of Canadians here. It've known a lot more people running their own business in Canada, likely because of OHIP, we don't need to work for a large company just so we can go to a doctor.
#30 of 57 Old 06-27-2005, 09:37 AM

I have 2 WAH things going on...

I am a costume designer and I own a costume company. During the year, I do historical reenactment/fantasy type wedding attire, and/or custom order costumes. I also make new things to add to my rental stock. In the fall, I open up shop at the local Ren Faire, that runs for 8 weeks. This will be my 14 year at the faire, my 22 year as a costume designer.

My more mundane work at home job is data entry for the company my DH works for. I used to have different WAH job that lasted for 2 years, but I got laid off a few months ago. Then DH pitched me to his company, and they hired me. It is not much, maybe 10-15 hours a month (my other job was 20 a week!) but it's something.

dianna11, I just moved part of my sewing studio upstairs from the area I had set up in the basement. My baby hates the basement, and have not been able to sew a darn thing since she was born. It's a nice basement too, finished, carpeted...maybe there is some vibe down there she hates. Cool that you make corsets, they are quite an artform.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page