How can I? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to start a business to help WAHM sell their stuff without having to maintain their own site while offering access to everyone to sell/trade for store credit used goods. I think that after it's established it will be really profitable but I can't think of how to get mommas to notice my site before i have any stock!! Where could I advertize a site like this before it opens for use, should I wait until it's open for use? Where can i find a service to host my site and give me a domain name while providing a goiod shopping cart for cheap...I know how to build with HTML. Also, on the 'trade ins' (and possibly repaired items) I want to affix a cloth tag with my website address on it, where could I buy such tags cheaply? I need to keep costs down until i start making money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 AM

There are several stores like this, but I'm not sure how they started. I don't know about putting a tag on with your web address though. Personally I would be angry if someone put their own tag on one of my used or repaired diaper. That diaper is my creation and my property, putting your own tag on it doesnt seem right. Maybe just a hang tag like other retail stores do?
#3 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Personally I would be angry if someone put their own tag on one of my used or repaired diaper. That diaper is my creation and my property, putting your own tag on it doesnt seem right.
:

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#4 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 04:28 PM

www.waterswebshops.com offers affordable web hosting with a great shopping cart, lots of great features.
#5 of 16 Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

let me clarify repair, it was a bad word. When i mean repair I mean compleatly taking apart a diaper pulling out all the yucky/old/unusable matterial and putting back together shiny and working again. Most often the only thing left of the 'starter diaper' is the PUL and the aplix. While I understand copy right protection, maybe you could clarify your objection to the tag, as long as I don't take brand tags off I'm just reminding the person of where they got it, not claiming it as my own. It's the purchaser's property. If this tag was a tear-away giving the person the option of easy removal, would this lessen the objection? Retail stores have a special 'gun' that attaches tags to clothing (sears sews them on jeans), I would be afraid of damaging a diaper with one of these as they leave huge holes but the advertising that taging items would deliver is rather large. I know many companies that use this type of ad. My pest control company leaves it's sticker in my kitchen cabnets, my neighbor's painter puts signs in her lawn. it dosen't take business away from the work at home mom because (unless the mom has agreed to sell through my site) all the diapers are used. With used diapers, you've already made your profit . If people want NEW diapers they won't look at a consignment shop. They may, however want to contact that shop for information on where to buy the same brand of new diaper (which I'd certainly direct them)
#6 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, new thought. The pattern I use to repair diapers Tenderhearts is mine, All mine. Would it be fair to offer the use of this pattern to WAHMs who don't have their own (that wish to consign on my site) in exchange for the cloth tag?
#7 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 AM

Regarding advertising before the store starts. Maybe you can put up a page at your site telling people what it's about, with a link anyone who is interested to participate. This way, you could possibly get people to "pledge" items ahead of time.

This would work great if you're pretty well known among a group of people that can help you start out. Otherwise, start posting now.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
#8 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

That is a great idea, but how do I get people to know the site exists in the first place, let alone my target of WAHMs, WAHM hopefuls and Cloth diapering mammas? Most sites I am on are No-AD.
#9 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 AM

I've been looking at cottage licenses and they're not cheap! I think it's very fair to offer your pattern for use in exchange for a tag. And as far as I know, the other companies who offer cottage licenses have their own tag that the WAHMs use to identify the diaper, so it's reasonable for you to have a tag also. Would you allow the WAHM to personalize the pattern, or would you want it used as-is?

About advertising, I almost always click on business links in MDC siggys. I don't know what they cost, but they seem like good advertising if you post a lot. I would assume it's the same on other boards, but I'm mainly here so I don't know for sure.
#10 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you on the tag thing. If you're pulling apart a diaper, recutting it, and resewing it based on a different pattern then I have no objection to you removing my tag and putting your own on there. If it doesn't look like one of my diapers anymore, then please don't leave my tag on there. I wouldn't want someone to buy one of the reconditioned diapers and then buy one new from me expecting the same thing. If you are just reselling it, I still think a removable tag is best. When you buy a shirt in the store, the maker tag is usually sewn in pretty good, but the store tag is designed to be removed before use. If they are going to sew in a permanent tag, they have the makers permission. I don't know of any consignment shops that sew in permanent tags to items they resell.

For advertising, maybe start with an informational site you can direct people to that tells what you are going to be doing. Maybe with an example page or two so you can get an idea what it will look like. That seems like a lot of work though! Especially if you're like me and don't have a lot of html knowledge. But if you can leave most of the info up when you go live it might not be too much. You could also start a yahoo group and invite people to join there for info.
#11 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysuen
I've been looking at cottage licenses and they're not cheap! I think it's very fair to offer your pattern for use in exchange for a tag. And as far as I know, the other companies who offer cottage licenses have their own tag that the WAHMs use to identify the diaper, so it's reasonable for you to have a tag also. Would you allow the WAHM to personalize the pattern, or would you want it used as-is?

About advertising, I almost always click on business links in MDC siggys. I don't know what they cost, but they seem like good advertising if you post a lot. I would assume it's the same on other boards, but I'm mainly here so I don't know for sure.
I'd be fine with modifications as long as my tag got put on it in the end although I think I'll be only offering this deal to people who sell the diapers on my site (they can sell on ther own site too but what's the point of having the site tag if that diaper maker can't be found on the site) I'd be fine with the sewer adding their own brand tag as well. I'm Planing on buying a MDC siggy as soon as my business license is processed by the state of florida.
#12 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynski
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you on the tag thing. If you're pulling apart a diaper, recutting it, and resewing it based on a different pattern then I have no objection to you removing my tag and putting your own on there. If it doesn't look like one of my diapers anymore, then please don't leave my tag on there. I wouldn't want someone to buy one of the reconditioned diapers and then buy one new from me expecting the same thing. If you are just reselling it, I still think a removable tag is best. When you buy a shirt in the store, the maker tag is usually sewn in pretty good, but the store tag is designed to be removed before use. If they are going to sew in a permanent tag, they have the makers permission. I don't know of any consignment shops that sew in permanent tags to items they resell.

For advertising, maybe start with an informational site you can direct people to that tells what you are going to be doing. Maybe with an example page or two so you can get an idea what it will look like. That seems like a lot of work though! Especially if you're like me and don't have a lot of html knowledge. But if you can leave most of the info up when you go live it might not be too much. You could also start a yahoo group and invite people to join there for info.
This is a gray area. I would always attempt to contact the origenal manufacturer before placing my tag on anyone elses creation. Most diapers need the cut adjusted when refurbishing but not all will conform to my pattern. Most of my dipes are nearly unrecognizable after repair see:
before
http://www.geocities.com/swtladyfare/before.JPG
After:
http://www.geocities.com/swtladyfare/stars.JPG

I like your Idea of a promotional site but it is alot of extra writing and my business license should be processed very soon.

When I'm done with the site I'll get a sig. add so that everyone can see!

Would it be fair to offer a deal to WAHM who sell on my site a special promotion to add my tag to their product (diaper, sling, whatever). The normal split on a consignment is 70-30 to 60-40 depending on the type of item being sold with the consignor deciding the minimum they'll accept before the item is listed for sale. Would it be fair to offer THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING products (not reselling someone elses) 10% of MY cut if theyll let me place my tag on their item?
#13 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 PM

Chiming in that there are sites like this, and they can be profitable, but you do need to shell out money to get it noticed!
And plan well for web placement because that may be the key to make or break your site.

I used to run my site as a consignment style and we had top ranking on google for our main sellers, but even still I didn't turn much profit after the cost of advertising.

So, I switched my venue of sales all together, but that isn't to say it can't be done!
My ad strategy maybe wasn't the best?
Word of mouth is wonderful, of course
#14 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm putting in a whole lot of work right now. It is very hard to get this kind of business licensed in my area. I've purchased webspace, shopping cart and a domain name and I'm building the site. I've contacted all of the diaper pattern companies I know of to make sure they don't mind used diapers claiming to be made with there pattern being sold on my site. I've asked if they priovide cottage licenses and how I can check if someone who claims to be authorized is. Some have asked me to place a disclaimer limiting liability to the person who made the diaper or list the diaper in "AS-IS" condition. I'm moving on to other patterns soon.

This is the grunt work I'm hoping to save start-up WAHMs

I want this to work and I understand that i'm not likely to see profit the first year.
#15 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 PM

Just curious as to why you would spend a lot of effort repairing the used diapers? I don't think the resale value would be significantly higher for a cosmetic re-do. As far as function goes, the PUL and aplix are the most likely parts of a used diaper to fail. It would seem to me that adding new aplix (which looks and works a lot better) and maybe fresh PUL (for more guaranteed waterproofness) would make more sense?

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#16 of 16 Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn
Just curious as to why you would spend a lot of effort repairing the used diapers? I don't think the resale value would be significantly higher for a cosmetic re-do. As far as function goes, the PUL and aplix are the most likely parts of a used diaper to fail. It would seem to me that adding new aplix (which looks and works a lot better) and maybe fresh PUL (for more guaranteed waterproofness) would make more sense?
These are also the most expensive to replace. I don't redo diapers for resale value. I do it to keep them out of a landfill and provide low-cost diapers that work for families on a really slim budget. I started re-doing diapers because I needed some and had no money. People gave me these just-hanging by a thread diapers and I fixed them for very little cost. i reuse the internal soaker the pul and the aplix adding a new inner layer of fabric next to my baby's skin and a new outer layer to keep the 'plasticy' feel of the fabric from chafing her big thighs. I use fold over elastic, keep the shiny side facing outward and fold a little of the pul over the edge of the fabric next to baby's skin to prevent wicking. i can re-do a diaper for under $2 each if I get the diaper for free.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page