Marketing,....(local) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. it has become very evident that i need to focus on my local area for my business, for many reasons. I just dont know where to start. I have contacted a couple stores to see if they will stock my items or allow me to put up a borchure, but other than that I have no idea. I am getting ready to order a sticker for my car,
It seems i just keep sewing and sewing but not much is selling ( it is starting to pick up thank goodness) I am wanting to have a cloth diaper party at my home, but I am nervous and wouldnt know who to invite. I only have a few freinds thatwould be interested at all. and some that will come in support of me. BUT MOST of the ppl I know are very main stream.

SO how do you do it?? How do you target your local community when you live in a town with a million ppl. My biz funds are very limited now so I cant afford to pay for many services.... but if hte right one comes along... then I would find the money to do that...

any ideas??

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#2 of 16 Old 08-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Well, here's my thoughts. I haven't actually tested them out yet, so I can't say if they work.

1- Flyers on the free bulletin boards at natural grocery stores. I put up a bunch of cards once and they were all gone in a week. No sales from it but it was less than 10 cards and a pretty half hearted effort. Maybe do a special coupon code so you can tell where the sales are coming from.

2- Check on Fuzzi Bunz site and find local retailers. Then visit them with some diapers in hand and see if they are interested. This is DH's project soon.

3- Find those little local overpriced kids specialty stores as well as consignment shops and try them.

4- I found a mom in the state who teaches a cloth diapering class! I'm sending her coupons and flyers and whatever else I can think of.

5- Check on Diaper Decisions to see if there are any B&M stores in your area. I was shocked there is one directly across the street from a fabric store I used to visit at least once a week!

6- Ask your OB & ped if you can put up flyers or something in their office. Same with local midwives.

Other ideas not on my to do list- Church bulletin, local LLL groups, and flyers anywhere there might possibly be a mom and baby. Approach whoever teaches local childbirth classes.
#3 of 16 Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynski
1- Flyers on the free bulletin boards at natural grocery stores.
I just wanted to add that you don't have to limit yourself to only natural or AP related places. If you post flyers in your regular grocery store and get a mainstream mom even the slightest bit interested, hopefully they will call for more information! I leave flyers and business cards *everywhere*!

I haven't started this yet, but thought of it the other day as I was walking through the mall parking lot. I must have passed about 20 cars with carseats in them. I will be putting business cards in their windows the next time I go. I know some people may not like this idea, but it's free and gets my name out there! I only need to get a few people interested because I am new and just starting up, and hopefully they will tell their friends etc.

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#4 of 16 Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Very true Tamara! I must admit this is from my goals list for the next few months. I was going to start there and see how it went. Theres a grocery store every 15 feet here so that was a little overwhelming. :LOL
#5 of 16 Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM

Those are really great suggestions. I especially love the idea of talking to consignment stores - if you could make some low priced diaper packages specifically for the consignment stores I think they could do really well. You will need to spend time educating the owners on how to sell your product. You could print up some fliers with information about how they will save $$, be better for the baby, and include washing instructions, etc...who could say no to that?

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#6 of 16 Old 08-19-2005, 05:16 PM

I got lucky in places that I frequent myself.

It began with my stylist offering to carry flyers or cards then my drycleaner offered, then my chioropracotor asked where his cards were and then a woman from church who owns a toy store . Though I litterally fell backwards into these initial offers I then took the initiative with other business that I frequently use in my area since I'd be there to check and see if interest had come and restock if need be plus I really try to shop in my local community first and it seems each small business owner is more than willing to rub another's back so to speak.
#7 of 16 Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just ordered a BUNCH of biz cards, and I am gong ot go around ( when it cools off)to a bunch of stores adn see if i an leave them. I have 2 midwives that i have talked to and will carry my cards, and 1 naturopath.
I am also sending a bunch of cards to my sister who lives in a very crunchy community. Almost all the ppl she goest o church with CD, and so she will pass out my cards.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am brainstorming of where I will put these up.''

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#8 of 16 Old 08-20-2005, 01:54 AM

be ware with LLLeague, they cant 'promote you' or let you really talk about your business in there meetings or groups. Its against policy.

These idea's are awesome, I just spent tonight calling local consignment stores to see if they might be intrested...gotta make a list of the local supermarkets and put up some business cards and the idea of the car's is AWESOME!!! Loving that! Might even instead of just putting up MY business cards putting whole mompacks in there windows or something...that way they get little samples and stuff too!

OHHH keep these idea's coming ladies!!!
#9 of 16 Old 08-20-2005, 02:46 AM

where in arizona are you? I'm in gilbert..

~mama to some wonderful kids
#10 of 16 Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Im in glendale....
we are thinking about moving ot maricopa, or oregon LOL

hmm which would you choose LOL

#11 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 05:35 PM

My Bradley instructor was very pro-CD. She had me come in and show off DS and my sling to another class. See if there are any Bradley instructors in your area, and if they'd include an information sheet in their packet for classes. If you're going to do it, I'd recommend doing one sheet that covers the basics about CDing (maybe fitteds, AIOs and CPFs) and then advertise yourself at the bottom.
GL,
-Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#12 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM

How about approaching your local LLL or BF store to see if you can give them some cards or hang flyers. I also am starting to partner with some doula and Bradley Instructors in my area to give 10 minute presentations on my products.

Have you done a press release in your local paper? A lot of times these are free and draw a lot of business.
#13 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have been thinking about a press relese but i htink I would have you pay soemoen to write it. I am not very good with words. But i have thought about it!!.

thanks again mamas
you are all great

#14 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Cloth
Im in glendale....
we are thinking about moving ot maricopa, or oregon LOL

hmm which would you choose LOL

Oregon, no sales tax!!!
#15 of 16 Old 08-24-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

LO yes I love that of oregon!! My sister lives there too, she just moved awayfrom me this year. SO double bonus LOL

Her hubby is trying ot find my hubby a job there, since they are both techys. LOL

#16 of 16 Old 08-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Hi Melissa! Aren't you in Glendale? There are lots of CDing mamas in the Phoenix area- mostly in the north and east valley. Are you on the AZmamas yahoo group? We had a cloth diaper party last month with a great turn-out- it was alot of fun. There is also an API of North Phoenix Yahoo group. That group does 2 playgroups a week, many of whom CD. A mailing to Bradley instructors would be good too. Also try BestFed in Phoenix- I'm sure they would be willing to keep your biz cards on hand. HTH! Shannon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page