Advertising - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, the MDC rates are going WAY up. I cannot afford a banner here anymore... I was saving for one at the old rate. Where will you all advertise now that they are switching to a CPM rate? Or will you remain here?

Anyone ad at Amity? Where else is there?

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 10:58 AM

I won't be doing banner ads here, I may do sig advertising but I am up in the air. I do advertise at wahmchicks.com, and have advertised at sistersofbreastfeeding.com, Havent advertised amitys since the new owner took over. I may now that it is under new ownership. word of mouth has always been my best marketing.
#3 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 02:45 PM

I've always thought the rates were a bit high for small wahms to afford anyway. If they are going up, most wahms won't be able to afford them.

It's possible that mdc wants only larger companies to advertise at this point, so that they can make more money. Larger companies have more advertising dollars, since they don't rely on their money to buy groceries for their family.

Oh well.

Teri
#4 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 03:39 PM

where can we see the new rates?
#5 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/sections/ad...-web-rates.pdf

#6 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, could someone translate that into English for people like me? What are "CPM"? I was thinking of getting a banner ad- I am sort of bummed. Will the signature rates be going up?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM

wow.... they are certainly doing their best to take out the little WAHM from their banner advertising (which is surprising since so many "little wahms" have faithfully advertised here for a long time). $10 CPM (cost per thousand where it is counting the number of impressions (times shown on the site) and a minimum of 100,000 impressions... thats a minimum of $100.

I had been trying not to jump to the MDC is all about $$$ theory lately... but
#8 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's kind of hard to deny it at this point...

#9 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Wow...I got that email too and I'm fuming. I was going to start advertising here, but apparently the little guys aren't worthy of it now (which seems so wrong--people here are more likely to patrionize MDC members so why not make it so they can advertise?)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#10 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
wow.... they are certainly doing their best to take out the little WAHM from their banner advertising (which is surprising since so many "little wahms" have faithfully advertised here for a long time). $10 CPM (cost per thousand where it is counting the number of impressions (times shown on the site) and a minimum of 100,000 impressions... thats a minimum of $100.

I had been trying not to jump to the MDC is all about $$$ theory lately... but
Wow! So what does $100 pay for -- is 1 impression = to 1 click? I know I asked that a while ago but can't remember if that is right.
#11 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM

$100 pays for 100,000 impressions.. so for your ad to show up on MDC 100,000 times. Of course there is no guarantee anyone saw the impression. Everytime the banners rotate to a new ad thats a new impression... hope that makes sense. MDC is guaranteeing you get a minimum of 100,000 impressions.. if you get more you pay for more.
#12 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
If you got "the email" ( sent to all current and past MDC WAHM advertisers) then you know that WAHMs will not be paying the price listed in that PDF rate card. Small businesses have a different rate - about 50% less - to purchase reserved ad space. That means if you want to reserve an ad spot to run at a specific time then you, as a small business WAHM, would be charged the small business rate.

Once the CPM model is in place, if you are prepared to purchase remnant ad space, which is space that is unsold at the end of the month for the coming month's total ad space, then you would be offered that at a considerably lower price than the small business rate. We may also offer it up for bidding. That's something still to be discussed. But we do intend to continue to offer WAHMs much lower prices than the regular rates.

There is no plan to raise the Business Signature or Business Avatar prices at this time.

#13 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Whew...that's good to hear. Somehow I guess I missed that in the email--thanks for clarifying!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#14 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for clarifying!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#15 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM

i feel left out cause I didnt get "the email" :LOL I am sure it went to my old business address tho
#16 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't get the email either. It was posted on another WAHM board.

#17 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM

never got it either

Quote:
WAHMs will not be paying the price listed in that PDF rate card. Small businesses have a different rate - about 50% less - to purchase reserved ad space. That means if you want to reserve an ad spot to run at a specific time then you, as a small business WAHM, would be charged the small business rate. .... if you are prepared to purchase remnant ad space, which is space that is unsold at the end of the month for the coming month's total ad space, then you would be offered that at a considerably lower price than the small business rate.
So we will be charged $100min(or is it $50???) if we want our ad to run at a specific time(for sales or grand openings), but if we want to wait until the last minutes to see if there is a possibility of a spot open then we'll be paying less. How will you determine who gets the remnant ad space? Will people who want to advertise have to put their names in and then it's first come first serve?

When will all of this be finalized and when will it come into effect?
#18 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM

: ..........just about to ask the same questions??
#19 of 84 Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 PM

I didn't get the email either. I'd like to have, though, so Cynthia is you're monitoring, please make sure I'm on the list. I know I've gotten stuff before but I don't remember this one.

Ladies, I have a lot of experience with online advertising and I've recently learned something really important. Where on the page your ad appears is probably the most important thing to consider before placing an ad anywhere.

I started putting ads in different places on my website and tracked their effectiveness (i.e. number of clicks) and I discovered that there are certain locations that definitely out perform others. I am totally going to revamp my advertising packages to take this into account. There is a one spot that is now getting 10 times the clicks as some of the other more standard places. Now that I know this I am going to be moving my advertisers ads to other locations.

Here is a link about where you want your ads to be:
https://www.google.com/support/adsen...page=tips.html

Find out what the click through rate on an ad location is before you buy advertising.

Also, the going rate with online magazines like this for CPMs is about $30-$40 CPM, so $10 CPM is a pretty good deal.

That said, there are still places that are selling ads for $5/CPM and even others selling for less. But the cost is not nearly as important as what you can expect to make.
#20 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 12:18 AM

I am curious if the WAHM/Small Business Rate applies to Print Advertising in Mothering mag and/or the online Mothering shopping guide?

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#21 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 AM

I am personaly disgusted with the new "direction" they are taking with the advertising rates. Soon the only ones who will be able to advertise are the big companies that have no investment in the natural parenting way of doing things.
I have always felt that the small one of a kind WAHM companies that the banners appeal to are a great draw and service to the moms who post on MDC. :
#22 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 04:28 AM

If WAHMs get a 50% discount from the $100 minimum, then it seems to me that our rates stay about the same. Each month we might pay a bit more for extra impressions, but at the 100,000 minimum mark, it costs the same as before. Am I missing something? It looks to me like they are trying to accommodate the WAHMs, while still making money from the larger companies who can afford it, to stay competitive.

Thanks for clarifying for us Cynthia.
#23 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 04:30 AM

I wont be renewing my sig ad Nor will I get a banner ad at MDC. It is sad for me how so many moms try to start a business so they can stay home with their children but places that claim to support that does not REALLY support that. I have learend that wording is everything at MDC and I have learned that becaseu I am a WAHM I cannot be a consumer, and have threads and questions and replys pulled.

I thought this community would be a great place to start when I was getting my busienss up and going. and while the WAHMs have been abolutely terrific, a wonderful supprt and just great ppl to communicate with. I have found a lack of support for many wahms by some of the leaders of the community.

OK stepping down of my soap box LOL

ETA I didnt get the email either, Guess since I just paid for a sig and not a banner... oh well.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#24 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 AM

Again, I don't understand why some of are getting so upset, when MDC is only raising prices for larger businesses, and NOT WAHMS! I see the fact that they are offering us a 50% discount on advertising very supportive.

Are you just reading the OP and not the rest of the posts that clarify the situation? I don't get it? Why the angst?
#25 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 AM

I am not renewing my sig ad or getting a banner ad for reason other than the prices. I guess i take after my mom and think it is the principle of the matter. I have just had some issues with experiences like threads getting pulled becaseu of the way I woreded somnthing, being treated that becaseu I am a WAHM I must not be a consumer, therefor I cant as opinions of things. I have been told that you cannot ever try to further your business at MDC.which I think MOST wahms use the ads for is FURTHERING business. Or maybe i am the only one.

I was thinking about this about 2 months ago. then the whole Gentle parenting and lack there of banners were being put up, and I thought WHY should i compete with that for ad space.....

Like I said before the wahms and other members of MDC are wonderful to work with, and i have gotten alot of great advice from these ppl. BUT i feel SOME ( DEF NOT ALL) that admin/mods are not in support of ppl working from home.

DISCLAIMER
( sorry if this sounds ummmm... withcy, I am not thinking it in this way. I am realllly tired, with 3 sick kids, and I am in pain from someissues i am having and the percocet is blocking my thoughts LOL?

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#26 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 09:14 AM

I agree that unfortunately, the advertising rates both online and in the print magazine are only afforable for large companies. I think that a lot of subscribers would definitely be interested (and even prefer!) to buy the same products from WAHM businesses, but they don't know about us because we can't afford to advertise.

I also tend to agree with the other poster who said that the forums aren't WAHM friendly in some ways. Yes, you can pay to have a signature line, but if someone directly asks for recommendations for places to buy a products or actually says "spam me", you are not allowed to offer a link to your site in the thread.

#27 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM

I have to disagree with all those who are upset by this new standard. I was starting to get a little worried before that it wasn't very clear how well my advertising dollar was at work for me. It seemed to me that the number of banner ads was increasing, therefore my banner was not showing up as much. By switching to CPMs I'm guarenteed my ad will show up a certain number of times based on what I'm paying for. It really is more of the standard way of doing things in online advertising. If it's being offered to WAHMs at essentially the same price we were paying before, I don't see what is so upsetting about it.

I agree advertising (anywhere) is expensive, but I also think you have to spend some money to make some money. With more than 30,000 registered users, I feel like I get more bang for my buck here.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#28 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't understand why some of are getting so upset, when MDC is only raising prices for larger businesses, and NOT WAHMS! I see the fact that they are offering us a 50% discount on advertising very supportive.

Are you just reading the OP and not the rest of the posts that clarify the situation? I don't get it? Why the angst?
People are upset because some WAHMs were sent information that apparently didn't even pertain to them and they wanted clarification, Cynthia's post does not clarify anything other than WAHM's will pay less but we don't how what that is yet. Her post left alot of open holes about other things.

Small Business does not say WAHM

Small Businesses and WAHM who want to reserve ad space pay 50% off.

About 50% off could still be $70 or it could be $30.

AFTER this has been implemented then WAHM's can purchase leftover ad space for considerably lower than the 50% off, or the spots will be open for people to bid on. This still has to be discussed though.

Whether this stuff was in the email I do not know because I did not receive it. I am not currently advertising, but apparently the email was sent to past WAHM's who advertised which I have. Perhaps if the email that was supposedly(but obviously not) sent out to all current and past WAHMs was put in this forum as a sticky it would clear other things up. IF it wasn't for this post I would know that the rates were changing.
#29 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whether this stuff was in the email I do not know because I did not receive it. I am not currently advertising, but apparently the email was sent to past WAHM's who advertised which I have. Perhaps if the email that was supposedly(but obviously not) sent out to all current and past WAHMs was put in this forum as a sticky it would clear other things up. IF it wasn't for this post I would know that the rates were changing.
:

Like I said, I didn't get the email. Are the promised lower rates available to all or just WAHMs who have advertised here before?

#30 of 84 Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 PM

I got the email. Here's a copy:

Greetings!

This letter is to inform you of upcoming changes in advertising campaigns and pricing at MDC and Mothering.com

In the past we have maintained the top and bottom banner ads on MDC as a WAH business advertising venue at a very low price. Mothering is making changes in its advertising setup and pricing in accordance with it’s rank and traffic and this means ad costs are increasing. A new approach to advertising campaigns is being put in place for almost all of the advertising spots on the website and on MDC. Rather than a time period campaign we will be selling impressions at a specific rate per thousand impressions (known as CPM) and with a minimum impressions purchase for the various ad areas. For a fuller look at the prices and minimum purchases, the new advertising rate card is available on the Mothering website here:
http://www.mothering.com/sections/ad...vertising.html

You can download the PDFs and obtain full information as well as pricing. The prices listed there are for regular businesses. We offer discounted rates to small businesses at approximately 40-50% less than the prices given. We also have remnant ad pricing at an even lower rate but that would be available on a limited basis and with no reservation to run an ad at a specific time period. Reserved ad space must be purchased at the small business rate which I can offer you upon request once the changes are fully implemented.

For now I am able to extend to you the old WAHM rates for MDC ads (the 468x60 top and bottom ads) but we will switch to the new rates and CPM ad campaigns soon. I’ve attached the old pricing for the MDC banner ad rates and you can purchase up to 3 months of ad time now if you currently have less than one month of an ad campaign running. Please note that the Linkback Advantage and 10% discount for print advertisers has been discontinued. But I can’t guarantee the old MDC price for long. We will be making the switch to the new pricing very soon and any payments received at that point will be offered a refund and new pricing information.

If you wish to purchase advertising at the old rates as outlined above you can make payment to mdcadvertising@mothering.com and send you banner and information to me by email.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
~Cynthia Mosher
Administrator, Webmaster
www.mothering.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page