Do you have a business license? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-28-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are exploring going into business as a side venture to his full-time job. He works in 3D animation and has written a how-to book which was published last year. Now he's thinking about making a DVD, which he would sell through his website.

So I'm wondering how many hoops we'll have to jump through. Do we bother getting a business license? Do you have one?

thanks,
Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 15 Old 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM

We have a business license, but I am an online retailer. It wasn't hard actually--just filled out a form, sent it in with a check, and the state of Ohio gave me one.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 15 Old 08-28-2005, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I wish ours would be that easy. Our city issues them, and according to the website, there are three different parts to it, and they want to come and inspect b/c of zoning issues, blah, blah, blah. In effect, we'd just be an online retailer, too. Can't decide if we should just get it over with, or try to fly under the radar.
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#4 of 15 Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 AM

I have a state one, but haven't got the city one yet.
#5 of 15 Old 08-29-2005, 02:59 AM

I got one through the city. I didn't know which category to put it in and the lady i was talking to wasn't sure either(I guess they don't get many calls for online businesses,lol). She decided to put me in as a small business so the liscence is only $35/year, it's the cheapest they have so I was happy. I have to have one because I go into trade shows/fairs 2-3 times a year and they requrie that you have one or you get kicked out.
#6 of 15 Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 AM

Yes I have one. actauly 2 I guess. I have one from the state. NO biggie, sent AZ 12 bucks and they said Every application with a check gets a piece of paper.LOL JK. Then my city. They are 50 per year. they called me 3 times. came out to see if i had a sign ( I dont) asked me if customers come to the house. ( they dont..yet LOL) and after carful deliberation decided I was worthy enough to have one.... and pay taxes....monthly!! LOL

But you do what you do. i feel roud I have one actually and it is framed above my desk.... silly I know...

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#7 of 15 Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if Canadian law is the same as US?

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#8 of 15 Old 08-31-2005, 06:50 PM

i can't for the life of me figure out where to go online to find out what i need/who i contact/etc. to get a business license in IL. one of these days i've got to get that done. so my answer is 'not yet'. LOL
#9 of 15 Old 08-31-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...I wonder if Canadian law is the same as US?
Probably not, but what's the Canadian Law? I know home based businesses(like Mary Kay, Tupperware, etc) in town are "supposed to" but few do. At the farmers market here they allow HBB's(opposed to just crafts & gardening) in but nobody is required to have a lisence. At the Hodget Podge they used to have you got a discount if you had your own business lisence.

Here there are not provincial licenses you get, there are registrations can do. All they do is register your business name and if you are a sole proprietor or partnership it does not keep anyone else from using your name. If you are a corporation it does.

If you have to collect provincial sales tax I have no idea how that works because Alberta doesn't have any. You do not have to collect GST unless you make over $30,000/year or you feel like getting rebates for the GST you pay on products, supplies & services.

Tami, contact your local city office and/or Chamber of Commerce. they'll know who you need to phone for a state or local one.
#10 of 15 Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 AM

I don't have one but I am not required to. I had to register with the state and pay $50 and then I had to file the paperwork to say that I do have a business and I meet the requirements to not need a license. I am lucky I do not live in the county that is a stone's throw over because they are really strict and cost a lot.

ETA: I would go ahead and start the process for the business license. If you plan on deducting expenses on your taxes you don't want stuff to start biting you in the butt down the road. You never know what gets reported to states/counties and the government is generally not very lenient when they feel money is owed to them.
#11 of 15 Old 09-01-2005, 03:50 AM

CarrieMF: Thank you!
I think I'll go ahead & get a business licence.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#12 of 15 Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM

I have the state tax # (got that first), which was free...you just fill out the forms and mail it in and they send you a resale certificate. I have to file and pay the sales tax annually.

Locally, I got a DBA (doing business as) form, for which I had to go to the county offices, and do a search to make sure there are no other businesses with the same name. I had the form notarized (a few bucks) and I think the filing fee was $35, one time fee. If you don't get the sales tax #, the county will report you to the state, so that's a must, but they tell you that when you file here in NY.

You need the DBA to get a business bank account, if you want to operate without using your own name as the business name, or want your business name printed on your checks, etc.
#13 of 15 Old 09-02-2005, 11:59 AM

I am in Canada and I had to register the business. As for the pst they send you a form every so many months that you fill in and send in your pst. When filling out the forum (I did the on line one) they ask you 50 million questions and that is where they ask if you are selling items that require pst tax to be paid.
#14 of 15 Old 09-06-2005, 04:53 PM

i have one, but like PP's I am an online only retailer
#15 of 15 Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM

I'm 'only' and online realtor but my business license cost me $155.00 it all depends on where you live

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page