Mamas, please critique my site... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know HTML so I used Geocities PageMaker to put this together. It's my first attempt, and I'm sure there are some things I can improve on. Eventually I'd like to get my own domain and have someone build me a "real" site, but I'm running short of funds right now. What can I make better? TIA

Zany Zebra
#2 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 AM

your site looks great! i could never do that much on my own. my one suggestion (and this is just personal preference) would be to left algin the text instead of center. to me centered text is harder to read, especially when in italics.

good luck!!
#3 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 04:11 PM

I'm getting "page not found" when I navigate your site. Your products are very cute though!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#4 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 PM

I think you have done a great job!

I am very visual so I would love to see pictures on your Products page.

Overall, nice job!

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#5 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn
I'm getting "page not found" when I navigate your site. Your products are very cute though!
Thanks! I was working on it this afternoon and messed up the links : I think they're all better now.

I'm open for more suggestions!
#6 of 16 Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 AM

Looks good
I would get rid of the use of italics for all the text on your main pages. It is difficult to read and hard on the eyes for many would be viewers.

On the shopping pages, I would prefer a more subtle background so that the font is easier to read as well as less jumping around of font color, size, weight, and style. More consistent would be good.

And on the left menu, I like the font you used for Contact and About, as it is small, bold, easy to read.
It is clear to me that those are menu button items, but the rest of the menu, particularly the information area, is hard to distinguish at first glance as buttons. I thought you just had text there and I wasn't going to read it. If the buttons were more direct, obvious and consolidated, it may help overall for your random web viewers (those who stumble onto your site through links or browsing).

You're doing a great job!
#7 of 16 Old 10-06-2005, 12:14 PM

I love it! But I have to agree about the italics and the background color in the text boxes. It's difficult to read. Maybe a slightly lighter shade behind the text?
#8 of 16 Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Wish I had a better way of saying this... I'm not that impressed withthe color combination the way they are used. If you are really set on those colors I think it could work if you re-arranged them some more. The pruple is kinda over powering and the grey in the text area washes out the site. The Zebra is cute.. I'd incorporate it into a banner image at the top with your biz name instead of just the the title there. This will make it look less like a page builder site. If you can do buttons ont eh side or a way to put the links into a obvious menu area then that would help too. Loose the italics, its harder to read as well. Love the products, very cute and look well made. Only need to work on presentation to make it look like more than a hobby site (KWIM?). Sorry I hope that didnt sound to harsh, I started on Geocities as well but you can do alot with it even if you dont know much code. Actually my family page is still on geocities. If you havent already www.lissaexplains.com is a good place to learn some easy basics. Goodluck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#9 of 16 Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM

I like your site! Cute dipes.
When I was looking at the sling in the consignment area, I clicked on it to get a better view of the picture, but the picture that popped up ended up being the same size as the original one. Perhaps it's just the settings on my computer (i'm not very computer savvy), but if it's something you can control, I'd suggest making the pop up pic a lot larger so customers can get a better view of the product. I hope that wasn't confusing
Good luck!!
#10 of 16 Old 10-08-2005, 12:59 AM

Why does the go shopping take you to a different site? That site is awful hard on the eyes.

I would fill in the white behind the zebra, in a square or circle. I would make the center in white or a lighter.
#11 of 16 Old 10-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was looking at your Fabrics page. You have a paragraph that is about your fabrics in general, then several paragraphs each about a specific fabric or other item that you use in making your products. Maybe you could label these paragraphs -- if I were looking specifically to see if you used a certain fabric, it would be difficult to find.

Looks good -- I have a personal page at Geocities and I don't like the options too much, but you've done well with it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#12 of 16 Old 10-09-2005, 02:02 AM

Is there a way you can add what weights for the diapers, along with the measurements. I know that I have never once measured DS. When buying him dipes I only go by weight. Even though yours are super-cute I'd be shy about buying them based on measurements alone.

~Nay

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#13 of 16 Old 10-09-2005, 02:42 AM

the site "Go shopping" takes you to is mine, which part is hard on the eyes and what would you recommend to fix it?
#14 of 16 Old 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM

First, let me preface my comments by saying that I know my own site needs a critique - all these great comments have convinced me to do the same. And great job putting it all together yourself!

I second the comments on the italics on the first page - don't much care for that.

Also, although I do like the shopping page (I think I actually prefer it and think the purple is a bit bright and harsh on the eyes), I like the idea of all the pages in the site being consistent as far as color and general format. It would be nice to have the navigation bar there on all pages, too.

Also, on the page where you discuss products (or where there are large blocks of text) I like that it is a simple format, but it helps if key words are in bold so that I can quickly scan and visually categorize or easily pick out what I am searching for.

I hope this helps. Your products look beautiful!

Amy
#15 of 16 Old 10-09-2005, 06:12 PM

The sling is the only picture that does that, unfortunantly I don't have another volunteer to show the sling with a baby in it so I can't take another picture like that. (the mom I had was worried about "weirdos" and had me edit her & baby out) Maybe I should take another pic without a baby and add it?
#16 of 16 Old 10-10-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtladyfare
the site "Go shopping" takes you to is mine, which part is hard on the eyes and what would you recommend to fix it?
There are just so many colors & so much going on. I have a hard time trying see where I should look. No where to focus. If you keep the background, the following colors would go well with it: #cec66c & #CE9F6C. Or even #85a349 & #78a1c2. Sample & sample. It would be nice to have the back of the boxes cream instead of patterened. All just suggestions of course.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page