Are you current on your family's ironing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom irons her sheets with lavender water. And uses special lavender fabric softener. And turns down the tops of the sheets over the blanket when she makes the bed. Either I am rebelling, or I am adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't iron anything.

I barely keep up with laundry...actually, I'm pretty good about doing it. It's the folding and putting away part I'm not so good at.

Its funny, I was never a neat freak, but keeping a clean house has become more important to me lately. Maybe because I feel like I'm losing control with everything else, I'm now trying to control the mess more. Or maybe I'm just so sick of living in a dirty house!

It's just so hard to balance everything....packing boxes, ordering inventory, answering phone calls and emails....taking care of 3 kids 3 and under.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#33 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 AM

ironing...(this is the sounding of my finger tap tap tapping my chin)...ironing....hum....

that word does not compute.
#34 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
Maybe because I feel like I'm losing control with everything else, I'm now trying to control the mess more.
This is exactly why I think a lot of women clean house fanatically, and why I sometimes clean with that toothbrush. I had someone point out to me how good it feels to have your life organized - how empowering it is. It really does feel much more relaxing and less frantic to work in a clean environment; I'm just not consistent enough to take advantage of this system all the time. (Hardly ever is more like it.)
#35 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
I don't iron anything.
I barely keep up with laundry...actually, I'm pretty good about doing it. It's the folding and putting away part I'm not so good at.
Me neither! Actually, I'll share a secret. I recently bought 4 laundry baskets, which brings my household total up to 6. For my whole life I've been guiltily pulling clean underwear and t-shirts out of the laundry basket, thinking, "I'll put the rest of this stuff away later." Now I've finally allowed myself to say, as long as it's clean and contained in the basket, that's good enough for me. Very liberating! (My husband takes care of his own laundry, and even does my daughter's, which is nicely folded and organized in her little dresser.)
#36 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 AM

Do you all have separate laundry rooms? I can't fathom 6 laundry baskets. We have one. And it's in the way all the time. City living. 2 bedroom condo. Sigh. I wish we could afford a house.
#37 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl
Do you all have separate laundry rooms? I can't fathom 6 laundry baskets. We have one. And it's in the way all the time. City living. 2 bedroom condo. Sigh. I wish we could afford a house.
Yes, I have a separate "laundry room." Ok, it's an unfinished basement that isn't used for much else. I also should clarify that usually one of those laundry baskets is in the car, used to haul orders to the PO.
#38 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 12:46 PM

art4babies, that does sound nice, the pillowcases. My dh would love that. If we could afford it (and not feel hugely wasteful) he would be happy to have all of the sheets, pillowcases, and blankets washed and dried every day. Poor guy.

bethwl, we have a section of our basement that is unfinished, that is the laundry room and it houses dh's tools, bikes in the winter, that kind of thing. We're in a small 3 bedroom townhouse. (Do you mean an apartment condo? We're in condo, but it's townhouses/rowhouses.) I keep three laundry baskets on the floor of our closet, for whites, darks, and everything else; I keep one in the basement for linens. And I have a few more kicking around that are holding clutter or off-season clothes under kids' beds. Our house isn't too big, but it isn't very small either. Sometimes I wish we lived in an apartment, we would *have* to get rid of clutter and keep it tidier. The grass is always greener...

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#39 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 01:18 PM

I was just thinking about this thread as I put on my clean wrinkled yoga pants that were pulled from the pile of clean clothes thrown in my 'office'.
Oh well, I work with children all day, who wipe their noses on me and I'm on the floor all day, so really, who cares about wrinkled pants. I finally gave it up because after spending so much time ironing, about 15 minutes after wearing my clothes they are wrinkled again... what is the point!?
#40 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Ironing. Yes, I'm always caught up because I NEVER IRON!! Actually the only action my iron ever sees is if I need to iron some diaper cuts!

Laura
Mom to three
#41 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Do you all have separate laundry rooms?

I do now! I absolutely love it too... I used to have a stackable in our ONLY bathroom and was very thankful for that and folding laundry on my couch or kitchen table ....before that I didn't even have running water and had to go to the Laundrymat! That was a nightmare...doing laundry and chasing toddlers!

I can't fathom 6 laundry baskets. We have one. And it's in the way all the time. City living. 2 bedroom condo. Sigh. I wish we could afford a house

I'm sure one day you will!
#42 of 48 Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM

I have an iron. Somewhere. I'm keeping it because I think I'll need it some day... for crafts!

Barb
#43 of 48 Old 11-05-2005, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3sweeties
Do you all have separate laundry rooms?
Actually, I have several laundry rooms; all of them, in fact. Or so it seems.
#44 of 48 Old 11-05-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
Actually, I have several laundry rooms; all of them, in fact. Or so it seems.

#45 of 48 Old 11-06-2005, 02:32 AM

Yeah, I mean condo apartment. We are on the third floor of a 6-flat. Our condo is not actually all that small either (about 1350 sq. ft.) but since having our daughter and starting a business that involves copious amounts of fabric sitting around, things are a bit cluttered. We really want to move next year.
#46 of 48 Old 11-06-2005, 05:49 AM

We wear knit shirts and blue jeans. Jeff does his own ironing b/c he came to realize that 'momma' can't do it all.

We're in a rental right now and my laundry room is IN MY KITCHEN (not a closet - oh no, it is SHARING the kitchen). Not many of you probably use the top of your washer and dryer when cooking, eh? Yep, additional cooking surface.

This has been our home for one year and THANKFULLY we are buying a home WITH a mudroom that will STORE the iron that I still won't use.

Disclaimer: At times I have been found to use an iron when I failed to fold the clothes that were in the laundry basket for several days ... either that or toss them back in the dryer for another 'go' to unwrinkle them.
#47 of 48 Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
Ah! No no! I swear! I am one of those that just freaks-out when it gets bad, and starts cleaning with a toothbrush... at 2 a.m. I am in the clutter/clean category, I guess. I can stand clutter (well, maybe not "stand" it, but it does get that way) but what creeps me out big-time, is filth. It is a struggle for me because I love organization, but I am my own worst offender. I am totally aware of the psychological affects of clutter (lack of feng shui, if you will) but I am SO "Ms. Side-Track" that I have tens of dozens of projects all sitting around screaming "Finish me!"
I am totally like this too!

As for the iron, I don't know any people in Seattle who iron anything. I used to feel a little guilty about not ever ironing but honestly, I haven't ironed since my DH was job-hunting. We just take everything out of a hot dryer and hang it up. Unless we forget about the laundry that is....

I do use the iron for sewing but right now I can't sew unless I climb over a big pile of stuff in my "craft/sewing area" which has become overrun with everything that we moved when we cleaned up the living room, dining room and play area. Oh, well.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#48 of 48 Old 11-06-2005, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower
As for the iron, I don't know any people in Seattle who iron anything.
Hey..... I am from Seattle. 36 years there. I ironed stuff. lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page