list of businesses and owners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There may have already been a thread - sticky? - on this, but I was wondering if there was any sort of list of who here owns what business, and if there isn't could there be? Mods? I would love to know who owns what aside from just having a list of MDCers to support.
#2 of 27 Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Okay - come on you gals. Someone else MUST be interested in this. I may start the list myself and do some snooping/research, even if it can't be posted for some reason.

#3 of 27 Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 AM

There's the marketplace threads at the top of Cloth Diapers and WAHM Well. It's a starting point. It doesn't list everyone, but there are quite a few there.

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#4 of 27 Old 11-05-2005, 10:39 AM

Here is a listing of MDC WAHMs who are currently advertising through MDC

(and if you are advertising, and you're not on the list, you can be added!)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=211

Here is a seperate advertising list on the main site too.
http://www.mothering.com/sections/sh...ing_guide.html
#5 of 27 Old 11-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Theres a list for those who pay to be on it. Those who dont have advertising on MDC are not on the list. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=211

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#6 of 27 Old 11-05-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

The advertising list on the main page: Are these only people that have an avatar? I mean, would I have to create an avatar to be there (if I only have a signature package), or would I also have to pay to have my avatar hosted?

Thanks LaLa and Kristine!
#7 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 02:39 AM

If you are talking about the shopping guide on the main Mothering website... no, it is separate and I think it costs like $500 a month!!!

I don't think you can get a list of all the WAHM's here because they have to pay to advertise here and not everyone does.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#8 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
I don't think you can get a list of all the WAHM's here because they have to pay to advertise here and not everyone does.
Yeah - this occured to me right after psoting. I am just going to create a list for my own reference.
#9 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 04:19 AM

Yep if you don't pay you are not listed . Sorry mama.
#10 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilangels
Yep if you don't pay you are not listed . Sorry mama.
Actually, I am not looking to BE on a list. I am looking for a list of others, but I completely understand that you would need to pay to be on any lists here.
#11 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 PM

well, how do paying advertisers get on the list in the first place? I've been advertising on mdc for over a year, and I'm not on the list! I didn't know it existed.

#12 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 PM

You add it yourself by just starting a thread with your business name

#13 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
You add it yourself by just starting a thread with your business name
Hey - good tip! I am thinking of buying a sig package and just not sure which one to do. I was thinking I might to an avatar or banner combination but would have to find a really cheap way to create one or the other. I think people generally charge about $50 for banners - ? - from what I have heard, and it is just too much since I could probably do most of it myself. I wonder if I could do a banner critique here…. Hmmm….
#14 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Thanks, I can go ahead and do that then. Is this the same place that banner advertisers can't post on; only signature advertisers? I just started doing signature adverstising here, and I remember that I was unable to post somewhere about my business, even though I was paying more /month than the signature advertisers.

Anyway, I guess at this point it doesn't matter!
#15 of 27 Old 11-06-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmama
Is this the same place that banner advertisers can't post on; only signature advertisers? I just started doing signature adverstising here, and I remember that I was unable to post somewhere about my business, even though I was paying more /month than the signature advertisers.

Anyway, I guess at this point it doesn't matter!
Actually, I am interested in knowing what the answer to this is! I am considering both/either...
#16 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 02:05 AM

If you have to pay $500 a month to be on the list and advertize here no wonder the WAHM diapers cost so much!

I can see the value in cloth diapers and how much effort it must take to make then right but dang!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#17 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
s this the same place that banner advertisers can't post on; only signature advertisers? I just started doing signature adverstising here, and I remember that I was unable to post somewhere about my business, even though I was paying more /month than the signature advertisers.
Yes, from what I understand, you have to pay for signature advertising to have a thread in the WAHM listing here. You're right...it would make sense to allow WAHM banner advertisers the same privledge as it is more expensive!

#18 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa
If you have to pay $500 a month to be on the list and advertize here no wonder the WAHM diapers cost so much!

I can see the value in cloth diapers and how much effort it must take to make then right but dang!
I don;t think diaper makers can afford this (with the possible exception of a few) . I have made diapers for my personal use, know how to sew, and there is no way they are getting rich on the $20 per diaper.... $500/mo., I am guessing, is for larger businesses. I would be suprised if a diaper-maker was on the list.
#19 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa

I'm confused why $500/month has come up in this discussion at all? :

This list is for signature advertisers, which costs about $10/month or $100 for 12 months. Banner advertising used to cost $50/month, not $500. The rates are being raised this month for banner advertising, but not for signature advertisers.

#20 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 09:37 AM

The reason it is for Sig advertisers (the WAHMConnect listing) is because we can see by looking at the person's name (it turns red) if they have paid for sig advertising. We mods don't have a reference to verify if a member has a banner ad, and when it will become inactive or if it will be renewed, so it would be very difficult to organize and moderate for banner advertisers at this time.
(again, speaking of the WAHMConnect listing)

Hope that helps to clear up a bit of confusion!
#21 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I'm confused why $500/month has come up in this discussion at all?
At first, I thought the OP was taking about the list of business on the shopping guide page...that's why I mentioned it and its price.

#22 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
The reason it is for Sig advertisers (the WAHMConnect listing) is because we can see by looking at the person's name (it turns red) if they have paid for sig advertising. We mods don't have a reference to verify if a member has a banner ad, and when it will become inactive or if it will be renewed, so it would be very difficult to organize and moderate for banner advertisers at this time.
(again, speaking of the WAHMConnect listing)

Hope that helps to clear up a bit of confusion!
Oh, that explains it all very well, thanks. I have been confused about that for over a year, and no one had explained the reason to me. That makes perfect sense.
#23 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmama
I'm confused why $500/month has come up in this discussion at all? :

This list is for signature advertisers, which costs about $10/month or $100 for 12 months. Banner advertising used to cost $50/month, not $500. The rates are being raised this month for banner advertising, but not for signature advertisers.

I think this is what was referred to:
http://www.mothering.com/sections/sh...ing_guide.html

Not the signature of banner package. This list (above, in this post) is a larger advertising "package" and I am sure it is rather pricey. However, I don't know the actual cost.
#24 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
Hey - good tip! I am thinking of buying a sig package and just not sure which one to do. I was thinking I might to an avatar or banner combination but would have to find a really cheap way to create one or the other. I think people generally charge about $50 for banners - ? - from what I have heard, and it is just too much since I could probably do most of it myself. I wonder if I could do a banner critique here…. Hmmm….

I have never seen a wahm charge that much! They are typically between $15-20.
#25 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
I have never seen a wahm charge that much! They are typically between $15-20.
Hmm... gosh - I dunno where I got that. ??? Perhaps it was a huge assumption based on the amount of time I thought it might take (another large assumption?). Anyway, I thought that's what I heard/read somewhere that someone was charging (maybe not a WAHM?) but I may be way off.
#26 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 02:44 PM

It takes me at the most 20 min to make a banner, possibly 30 if revisions need to be made. So if anyone is charging $50, walk on by. Unless of course it is flash.

Jen
#27 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 PM

At my WOH job in publishing, our web developer charges $125 for a banner ad with multiple animations within the layers (2 hours work). I learned how to do it myself in Photoshop and it takes less than an hour for a simple one. You can probably do it yourself since you know Photoshop. Just create your panels, then paste the layers together (bottom layer will show first) and "Save for Web" which will give you the animation options for the .gif file. I don't do animation within the panels personally, but I think there are options for that when you create additional layers.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page