Do you tip mail carriers or ups drivers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2005, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. I'm very curious--especially for those of you who receive a lot of products and/or send a lot of packages out with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 PM

No, I don't. And my husband's office is in our home so we get deliveries at least weeks. I never even thought about it, should I be? :
Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 PM

Good question... :
Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Nope, I don't. We occasionally take cookies or candy to the Post Office. I thought they weren't allowed to accept monetary gifts?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 PM

We always give a gift to the USPS carrier at Christmas time, but other than that, no. We always gave our carrier a gift, even before becoming a wahm.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 PM

I am assuming you mean as a year end "thank you".
I don't know about UPS, but I do know that Postal workers are not alowwed to receive monetary gifts but are allowed to receive gifts in kind so long as they are valued under $20. I can thank The Today show for this little piece of info( finally got to use it!!)

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 PM

We don't regularly receive packages, but we do put $20 in a card and give christmas cookies to the mailman He's a heck of a nice guy, and is always up for conversation.

My dad has a business from home, and gets several DHL deliveries a day, and he does the same for the DHL guy, as he always has the same carrier.

But as for everyday tipping for dropping off a package, we don't tip
Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our busines gets daily deliveries from UPS and at least once a week for fed ex. and we are talking sometimes truck loads. Our UPS guy used to eat lunch at our shop and play our video games. Yet I don't think we ever gave him more than Christmas card. We did give him a nick name though. Since they changed our guy we have not given him anything. It is after all his job to deliver to us. unlike the pizza guy he is making good money and driving a company car. This is what he does. Our mail man chaneges weekly.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2maya
I am assuming you mean as a year end "thank you".
Exactly. Last December I was on a Yahoo store owners discussion board and people were talking about giving their UPS drivers $100 bills at Christmas. They might have been talking about the ones who come to their warehouse every day though. The UPS guy who comes to my house carries these huge rolls of fabric up the stairs and into my living room, so I feel like I should give him a little something, I just don't know what is appropriate.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM

I was just thinking about this!

I love my mail lady. She's really nice and always goes the extra mile to help us out.

I would love to give her a gift - but I really can't afford to add her to my holiday shopping list. So I have decided to write a note to our local post master about what a great job she does. I hope that that will be more valuable to her in the long run - and she really does deserve some recognition.

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

If they've carried a lot of packages for me, I give a Christmas gift.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 AM

nope they're doing their job.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HR fluff - If you realy do like your mail carrier why not just give her a Christmas card. It will let her know that she is more than just a public servant to you. I also think the note to her supervisor is an exellent idea. That could go into her record and count toward a raise. yehaw. that is better than a $20 in an envelope.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
nope they're doing their job.
That would assume people know exactly what their job details and that your delivery person NEVER does anymore than that. Here are some example of mail carriers doing more than what their job requires:

1. if you've ever forgotten to shovel your walk or the street in front of your house and you still got your mail delivered that day (in Canada mail carriers don't have to deliver the mail to unshovelled walks)
2. you get the mail for the person who used to live in your house and your mail carrier takes back the mail you mark as "no longer at this address" (they don't have to, it's your responsiblity to put it in a red mailbox)
3. you get your mail even when people have messed up the address (if it's not addresses properly then they don't have to deliver it to you)
4. you've forgotten to put a hold on your mail when you go away on vacation but your mail carrier knows you are away and does it for you anyway
5. you still get your mail even though there is a crazy dog that lives a couple door down which sometimes runs loose (mail carriers aren't required to deliver to houses within the vicinty of a dangerous or loose dog)

There are plenty more examples, but I wouldn't always assume they are just "doing their job". Many people in the service industry go above and beyond and do much more than their job requirements to make you happy.

Home baked cookies, home made pickles, $20 in a card, or anything else you feel appopriate are a nice gesture for the person who gets up at 5am to deliver your mail when it's -60 outside with the windchill and you didn't shovel your walk for them because it was too cold for you. I know this has happened to me at couple of times at least over the years.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
I also think the note to her supervisor is an exellent idea. That could go into her record and count toward a raise.
USPS must be run differently than Canada Post.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM

We used to do $20 in an envelope and she always accepted it and thanked us with a note. when dd was born early she even gave us her copy of the local paper her story was in,she was the new years baby that year and 7 weeks early... she got us a beautiful gift for dd as well, I was blown away by her kindess. sadly she is on another route now and the lady we currently have drives me nuts. she is always yelling into her cellphone headset and waking us when we nap with the windows open,stomps on the porch,bangs on the door when i get a certified...i have since asked her to leave the card and i will leave it for her the following day. she has no idea that she is so obnoxious.
but...recently we haven't been getting our mail until after 4pm. I find this unacceptable considering what i could get accomplished in a day. i hardly ever leave her with outgoing...plus we are super broke so i will not do it this year. she may get cookies if i have it together. ups make great$ and get to drive from place to place, plus we don't get a lot from them so no way.
boy, i miss mary- our old usps lady
i will take a basket to the posty office. they are awesome to us. since i ebay a lot they always know how i like things. i hear them talking about coffee runs a lot so i think i will take them a basket from starbucks or something
otherwise a basket to my midwives and that is about it outside family.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
That would assume people know exactly what their job details and that your delivery person NEVER does anymore than that. Here are some example of mail carriers doing more than what their job requires: I am perfectly well aware of what the mail carriers job requires I babysit for ours.

1. if you've ever forgotten to shovel your walk or the street in front of your house and you still got your mail delivered that day (in Canada mail carriers don't have to deliver the mail to unshovelled walks) I know this, they also don't have to deliver mail in bad weather, but they are choosing to do so I am not requiring them to do it. I do not care if it is too cold, pouring rain and my mail is not delivered. I think they're insane to be walking around doing that.

2. you get the mail for the person who used to live in your house and your mail carrier takes back the mail you mark as "no longer at this address" (they don't have to, it's your responsiblity to put it in a red mailbox) I don't do this, I write on it address unknown and put it in the mail slot next time I'm there.

3. you get your mail even when people have messed up the address (if it's not addresses properly then they don't have to deliver it to you) Doesn't happen here

4. you've forgotten to put a hold on your mail when you go away on vacation but your mail carrier knows you are away and does it for you anyway We have people who come to our house to take care of our house and bring mail in. Our mail carriers have nothing to do with holding mail, they pick it up in boxes on the corners and deliver it.

5. you still get your mail even though there is a crazy dog that lives a couple door down which sometimes runs loose (mail carriers aren't required to deliver to houses within the vicinty of a dangerous or loose dog) I know this, again if there is a loose dog and they are delivering mail then they are choosing to do it, I am not requiring it and don't feel a need to have to tip them for a choice they make. Personally I could care less if my bills are a day late getting here,lol Our area is horrible for loose dogs.

There are plenty more examples, but I wouldn't always assume they are just "doing their job". Many people in the service industry go above and beyond and do much more than their job requirements to make you happy.
Our mail carriers are not the ones who bring us packages which is what the OP was talking about. Our parcels are brought by a separate person who drives around. The one there who drives me nuts is the one who won't come to my house and drop a package off at the mail box because she's scared of dogs(we have one of those non-dangerous, non loose dogs who is in a fence and the mail box is outside the fence) but isn't scared enough to leave a slip saying there's a parcel for me. IMO if you can bring the slip you can bring the pkg. Drive halfway up the driveway so you're no where near the fence and leave the package for all I care, just leave it for me.lol

Yes many people in the service industry go above and beyond, yet very very very very few are ever tipped for it or require tips. Just about every single job out there is an aspect of the service industry. If you couldn't tell I have issues with tipping.lol
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 AM

CarrieMF, although I replied to your comment I wasn't saying that you specifically didn't know what a mail carrier's job was. I was just pointing out to people who may not know that some things that happen may not be just because it's in the job description. I also wasn't implying that your mail carrier provided every "extra" that I listed. They were simply examples which have happened to me or others I know.

And your mail carrier will bring you packages, it simply depends on the size. Above a certain size they are brought by a postal truck driver.

Also, I suppose I was talking more about a small gift at Christmas to say thanks for the crap job you have to do that often results in arthritis, chronic back pain, carpal tunnel, skin cancer (due to time spent outside during dangerous sun hours), and having to walk every day in this terrible weather we have in many parts of Canada because they need to job to pay their mortgage and take care of their family. It doesn't have to be a monetary gift. And yes I realize many people have crappy jobs and if I know about it and they provide me with a service, I'll try to give a little something at Christmas as well. For example, DH and another guy in his office are chipping in for a small gift for the lady that cleans the office. She moved from Iraq because of the war and her education doesn't transfer her so she has to clean offices and does a better job than the janitors I have in my building next door.

I considering tipping to be more something you do every time you receive the service, and I agree that I wouldn't hand my mail carrier money every time they drop off a package.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 AM

This thread has caught my attention. I forgot to look and see if the OP is in the states or in canada. BUT as for the above and beyond, all the listed ones above are true in the states, exept the not deliverable as addressed mail. It is the carriers job first of all to catch that mistake before it gets to you and second to take it and return it to the po for you.

Anyways, it is also true that they are not supposed to accept monetary gifts, or really any for that matter, but friendly chrismas gifts of cookies, or something else that is also low in value are OK.

I think that if you have a good mailman, the definantly deserve it, and appreciate it, not because they want a gift but because you have notices the effort they put in.

I really like the idea of the letter to the postmaster. That could really make a person feel good.

I also know that as for the dog problem, every carrier I have known has been perfectly willing to leave packages where ever you request them too as long as they dont have to enter the yard where the dog is, AND they feel the location is secure enough. The last thing a Postal worker wants is to be responsible for a damaged, stolen or lost parcel. That is bad news.

Oh, the other dog thing, feeling in danger is not the only reason that a carrier may not want to enter a gated area where a dog is present. sometimes dogs like to bolt when given an unexpected opportunity.. He/she doesnt want to be responsble for a dong that has excaped. Especially if the owner is not home.

Just a little imput from a fellow postal worker, no Im not a carrier but a clerk at the post office but I KNOW lots of carriers

Sorry for carrying on so long

edit: Now that i look I see that the OP is actually here in my own state of Oregon So all I said does apply

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs
exept the not deliverable as addressed mail. It is the carriers job first of all to catch that mistake before it gets to you and second to take it and return it to the po for you.
I am not sure which point you are referring to?

Also, my examples were for Canada because I was replying to a post made by a fellow Canadian. I will believe what you say for the U.S. as I don't live there and you do!

Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
I am not sure which point you are referring to?

Also, my examples were for Canada because I was replying to a post made by a fellow Canadian. I will believe what you say for the U.S. as I don't live there and you do!
I know you were talking about canada, which is why i said that all the points you mentioned were the same in the USA EXEPT for the one, which is here:

"2. you get the mail for the person who used to live in your house and your mail carrier takes back the mail you mark as "no longer at this address" (they don't have to, it's your responsiblity to put it in a red mailbox) "

Thats all, I wasnt argueing with your points, I was just adding info from the US as the thread was started, and question asked by a member from the US

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I know you were talking about canada, which is why i said that all the points you mentioned were the same in the USA EXEPT for the one, which is here:

"2. you get the mail for the person who used to live in your house and your mail carrier takes back the mail you mark as "no longer at this address" (they don't have to, it's your responsiblity to put it in a red mailbox) "

Thats all, I wasnt argueing with your points, I was just adding info from the US as the thread was started, and question asked by a member from the US
I didn't think you were arguing, I just wasn't sure which part you were referring to that was different and I was curious. I also wasn't directing where I was located at you, just pointing it out for people in general who may be reading and didn't realize it. It's sometimes difficult for meaning to come across properly on web based forums so my apologies if you thought I was trying to be argumentative in any way!

It's a bit different in Canada for that point as the mail carrier is legally required to deliver the mail as addressed. So, if the former tenant at your address did not put in a change of address or the change of address has expired, the mail carrier must deliver the mail even though they know the person doesn't live there.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I didn't think you were arguing, I just wasn't sure which part you were referring to that was different and I was curious. I also wasn't directing where I was located at you, just pointing it out for people in general who may be reading and didn't realize it. It's sometimes difficult for meaning to come across properly on web based forums so my apologies if you thought I was trying to be argumentative in any way!

It's a bit different in Canada for that point as the mail carrier is legally required to deliver the mail as addressed. So, if the former tenant at your address did not put in a change of address or the change of address has expired, the mail carrier must deliver the mail even though they know the person doesn't live there.
sorry, I wasnt sure how i should take it and I read into it too much. I really kwym about the comunication difficulties with the net.

I guess that is pretty much the rule here too, but really they dont like us to follow it, its a bit weird. If the name doesnt match the current resident we are supposed to catch it and return it to the sender as "ndeliverable as addressed" or if it does get to the address, then is refused, it goes back as "attempted- not known"

Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
sorry, I wasnt sure how i should take it and I read into it too much. I really kwym about the comunication difficulties with the net.
No worries at all!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:16 PM

I have two great guys, I don't tip either of them but give them each a $10 gift card to Best Buy for Christmas, this year I may increase it to $15

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 12-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Also, I suppose I was talking more about a small gift at Christmas to say thanks for the crap job you have to do that often results in arthritis, chronic back pain, carpal tunnel, skin cancer (due to time spent outside during dangerous sun hours), and having to walk every day in this terrible weather we have...
Can't speak for all parts of the US, but I've never had a walking mail carrier. Or even one that brings the mail to my door. They've moved towards mailboxes at the street, or even more often, at the front of the subdivision. It is very, very rare that people still get mail through their door-slot if they even have one.
So much of the time, the mail carrier is not some person that you see every day as they drop the mail through the slot into your house. It is an anonymous person that you never even lay eyes on.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 PM

I'm not in this forum but saw this under new posts so I'm adding my thoughts -

It never even occurred to me to tip a mail carrier until I worked at our local post office several years ago. That's when I realized that although they are "not allowed to accept money gifts" the carriers really rake it in at Christmas. Thousands of dollars each, every year. I was a clerk, not a carrier, and we (the clerks) would split a small amount of tips people gave us - usually we'd end up with under $100 each. But the carriers got so much. So although it's technically against the rules, they sure do accept tips, at least here.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Can't speak for all parts of the US, but I've never had a walking mail carrier. Or even one that brings the mail to my door. They've moved towards mailboxes at the street, or even more often, at the front of the subdivision. It is very, very rare that people still get mail through their door-slot if they even have one.
So much of the time, the mail carrier is not some person that you see every day as they drop the mail through the slot into your house. It is an anonymous person that you never even lay eyes on.
In Canada new areas and sub-division will now often have those group boxes throughout the sub-division. The person hired to deliver to those is not a unionized Canada Post employee and they've had lots of trouble with them stealing packages and cards at X-mas time.

If you live in an area that always had mail delivery, you will still have a walking carrier. We have mailboxes on our houses (even if a mail slot in a door existed, I doubt they'd be used as everyone has a house mailbox). So yes we have lots of walking mail carriers around here. We're considering moving to a new house and it's a new sub-division so we'd have one of the group boxes where we have to go get our mail and this is one of the "cons" on my list for moving. I love being able to grab my mail out of my box on the way into the house, or on a rare day that I'm home, being able to lean out the door and grab the mail.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra*luna
the carriers really rake it in at Christmas. Thousands of dollars each, every year.
Sweet! I'll have to tell the carriers I know to go and work where you live! Around here it's common to get $50 or less cash (right down to $0 cash) and some baked goodies from the older folk.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
..this is one of the "cons" on my list for moving. I love being able to grab my mail out of my box on the way into the house, or on a rare day that I'm home, being able to lean out the door and grab the mail.
I once lived nearly a mile from my mailbox (my parents still do) and it completely SUCKS because you look at the clock and think, "It should be here now!"
You walk clear down there, and it's NOT. So you walk the mile back, and wait an hour, and go check again.
Blegh.
Nearly nobody has a house-mailbox anymore. If you have one out on the street that you can see from the house, you're lucky here.

User Tag List