How do I get people to come to my site, and buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaahhh, the age-old question, huh? Currently, I only advertise in my signature. I'm listed on my web designer's page as well. I have uploaded some of my merch onto froogle. These things have brought 150+ people to my store. But no one has bought anything. I have 3-10 people come to my site everyday.

I guess I'm looking for some constructive criticism? I use watersweb, and I have questions about meta-anything. When I do a search on Yahoo for Pedoodles, how do some of the WAHM stores have their site come up, but not mine?

HELP!

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 01:43 AM

Gosh. Good question.

It seems rather slow for me right now, too, and I am not sure why. I have heard that people are spending less right now so I am hoping this is a short-lived trend.

You really do have some nice stuff on your site and it looks great. Something that kind of stood out on your site for me is that it took several clicks to get to pictures of your clothes - stuff I would purchase. Someone just posted a thread which had a list of mistakes we make on websites and one (or two) was making the pictures of the items too small or hard to access, and making the logo too large. Something to think about.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76
Aaahhh, the age-old question, huh? Currently, I only advertise in my signature. I'm listed on my web designer's page as well. I have uploaded some of my merch onto froogle. These things have brought 150+ people to my store. But no one has bought anything. I have 3-10 people come to my site everyday.

I guess I'm looking for some constructive criticism? I use watersweb, and I have questions about meta-anything. When I do a search on Yahoo for Pedoodles, how do some of the WAHM stores have their site come up, but not mine?

HELP!
1. Have the grow-a-note cards linked right on the index page on a mouseover. If I want to buy them, I want to buy them NOW, not find them on some other page somewhere.

2. The Mighty Politey tee shirts are waaaay too expensive (at least for me). I'm not buying a t-shirt for $22.00 for a child who'll outgrow it in a manner of months.

3. The shoes are adorable.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Keep it coming. I am going to work on everything you mentioned.

But what about my other question? "I have questions about meta-anything. When I do a search on Yahoo for Pedoodles, how do some of the WAHM stores have their site come up, but not mine?"

Othe than froogle, how do I get people to find my site?

Old 01-02-2006, 02:15 AM

This might be of interest:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=389544

I wish I could help your other questions but I would also like to know those things.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:42 AM

It is so frustrating, isn't it?! First, something to consider is that I've read that a good conversion rate (the % of visistors to your site who buy) is 2% for online stores. Really, really great stores might get 4%. (Brick and mortar stores, on the other hand average 50%.) Now, consider how many visitors you have to get to your site in order to make any money!

So you're right to start focusing on search engines. You might want to start reading about search engine optimization (seo). There is so much to know. The number one thing you want to do is to get indexed by Google, so focus your energy on that first. Even though it is less important than it used to be, you should consider a link exchange with relevant websites. I'm sure some other more knowledgable people on this site will have some good recommendations for websites about learning about seo. Good luck! (Let me know if you want to exchange links.)
Old 01-02-2006, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

So, I linked to the grow-a-note cards on the main page, but I can't get the mouseover to work. I think the pics are too close together. But I'm getting a headache so I'm going to take a break.

klink2, what is your site? You can pm me. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 AM

*Have a link in the bra section directly to the sizing chart. Don't make us go looking for it.
*Have sizing chart set to automatically open in another window so I can look at it and my options.
*Have info. on how to measure yourself for bra size.
*Don't make me click on a million links just to see the items.
*Can you hide your site counter? Seeing that you've had so few visits might make a person nervous to be one of the first to try you out.
*Put shipping costs, return policy, info about you, what payment methods you take, etc. in the information section.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:59 PM

SEO is very important... try www.addme.com for thier free submissions and other search engines as well like google ect. Just do a search for seo and submit everywhere you can. It also helps spiders crawl your site if you have a ror.xml (or sitemap.xml) in your root folder and the html emdeded in your head tag to direct spiders to it. It gets your site indexed better. A meta tag in your head also helps. Most importantly is content. Your content on your index page should be text thats very relavant to your webpage. Make sure to use your hot keywords in your homepage text. If you have any questions feel free to PM for specifics as well. Goodluck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
klink2, what is your site? You can pm me. Thanks!
I will PM you, but did you know you can click a person's name and choose their homepage?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM

First thing, your site is very new. It takes time to earn a good reputation & gain customers. You need to advertise in other places. Sign up for topsites, directories & other free places to get your link out, search engines can pick you up that way.

It can take a year or more to get to the point of making a decent profit, so be patient.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:59 PM

http://www.gnc-web-creations.com/seo-optimization.htm

Someone posted this link here about a month ago. It is awesome. Who ever you are that posted thanks so much! I have a re-newed sense of hope that I can make a decent living doing what I love.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 PM

I would consider adding an About Us page and info on your Contact Us page. I won't order from websites where the only way to contact is by an e-mail form and there is no info about the company. I think it reassures customers when there is a phone number and mailing address even if they have no intention of contacting you that way. Very cute site!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 AM

I think your site is very cute and the pics are nice and clear and easy to see. One thing I kind of wondered about was what your main items or focus was? What will you be updating/adding new products to? What should I look for in the future?

I wish I had good advice for you on the search engine stuff - I get a lot of my first time customers from google upaid search listings. MSN is going to start up paid listings soon with lower min. bids than google - something to look into.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:49 AM

Everyone has made good points. Here are a few initial impressions:

*I would never give that much homepage space to a $3.75 item (the growing cards). If you want to call out new items, add a separate section to your sidebar.

*Any reason your sidebar on the homepage is on the right? I thought the conventional wisdom (ex: eBay, Amazon) was to have them on the left.

*I think your homepage is too long. Again conventional wisdom suggests no more than 2 screens. Personal preference, however.

*Put your "free shipping" offer right up top. That would probably promote conversion. Also, the search engine should be higher for people who don't want to browse.

*Instead of pictures of the cards, could you move the categories list you have at the bottom (with the exception of "sizing charts" and "all items" which I would delete) to the top and put a thumbnail under each one with a "see more" link. Same with the second tier pages (ex: the Gift Baskets page just has category listings and no pics!). And I think your pictures need to be bigger.

*I REALLY like your logo and the color theme you've chosen.

Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM

First thing I noticed is your store took forever to load and I am on a High speed broadband connection. People are impatient and if a site takes that long to load on a high speed connection they will just leave before they ever get to your site. There are many variables of course and it does take time to gain a good reputation and to get the word out but these first design issues must be taken care of before you can go any further.

It’s amazing how many people go blissfully into business with the notion that they only have to open the door, and the customers will come running. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is a common denominator found in the majority of unsuccessful online businesses, and that is a lack of marketing.

No matter how brilliant your website may be, or how clever your product or service, success will be very slow in coming if you don’t take steps to get the word out to the marketplace.

People often tell me that they are disappointed because their new website is not generating any sales. The first thing I ask them is whether they have done any marketing. More often than not, their response is that they haven’t really done anything at all.

Building a successful online business takes time and effort. It can take many months, if not years, for a business to develop a reputation for reliability and trustworthiness. However, once gained, that reputation is more precious than gold. Unfortunately, most business owners give up before they ever reach that point.

When promoting your business, the first step is to make sure that your website is optimized for search engines. To do this, ensure that your website meta-tags include the most important keywords pertaining to your business. Keywords should also be included in the title tag.

Once you’ve done this, and your website is completely ready to be seen by the public, submit your site to the search engines. To do this, you can use the FREE service provided at the following site:

http://www.submitexpress.com

Another excellent site is selfpromotion.com. Here you can gain valuable information on how to market your business. They will even submit your site to search engines if you make a donation to their service:

http://selfpromotion.com

Having your site listed with search engines is essential. However, to get traffic quickly you will need to use a Pay Per Click service, such as Google Adwords and Overture.com (Yahoo search marketing).

Decide on the keywords and phrases that most people would use if they were looking for your service. Then start bidding for those words, making sure that you ONLY nominate the lowest amount available. Google and Overture will suggest a figure, but DO NOT bid that amount. Start small and see how much traffic you can generate. Once you see results and your business begins to grow, gradually increase your bids, if necessary.

When preparing your website and promoting your business, it is very important to remember that every penny and second spent improving your online presence, is an investment in your future.

Ultimately, there are two types of online businesses—those that are website failures, and those that are website winners. Get things right at the start, and your dream business will never become a nightmare.

Hope this helps,
Pam
Old 01-30-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your advice. I haven't heavily marketed my site yet, but will be doing so this year. I'm surprised that my site wouldn't load faster for you. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of your advice. I haven't heavily marketed my site yet, but will be doing so this year. I'm surprised that my site wouldn't load faster for you. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
it loaded immediately for me great site
i do agree with the left hand side of the screen thing. i am left handed and use my mouse the "wrong way" but i still thought it was off / not what most people are used to etc

i did bookmark the page and hope to be able to buy something when i have some extra cash
good luck
love
leslee
Old 01-30-2006, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I asked my designer about the left/right thing, and she said that the right side is better for seo. So, I left it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to try it on the other side and see how it does. Hmmmm...

Thanks for looking at my store!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:42 AM

Where have you advertised? I think you have a very nice site. I love the color scheme--very cute design.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I asked my designer about the left/right thing, and she said that the right side is better for seo. So, I left it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to try it on the other side and see how it does. Hmmmm...

Thanks for looking at my store!
Hmmm...I wonder why that would be? Anyone know?

I have to say, it also drives me nuts when it's on the right. I feel like I'm reading a book backwards and I find it more difficult to stay focused. Definitely not what you what if you are trying to get a customer to stay and shop.

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 PM

uh-oh- mine is also on the right, i kinda liked that is was unconventional, but if it bothers shoppers...

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:34 PM

Submitting to anything other than DMOZ is a waste of time. If you properly optimize and link your site, the search engines will find you.

1. Optimize your site for the keyword phrases people use to find your product.

2. Find someone who is already listed and highly ranked in the search engines, who will put a link to your site on theirs. (A directory on a site related to yours is a good place to start. Check with your designer/host to see if they offer a WAHM product directory.)

Search engine ranking is all about two things: Content and link popularity. These are the only things you need to worry about wrt search engines.

As for marketing, I'd go with what everyone else has suggested.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:47 PM

I am also one who hates menus on the right. Online, people like to buy from sites that fit the template of what they have been using. If i have to spend even a second looking for it, then forget it. It is also ok to have the bar on the top. The very top, not almost at the top. I totally can't stand it when you need to scroll to use a menu. I would never use something like that.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! So far, I have only paid for advertising in my signature. I am listed as a retailer with some of the brands I carry, which actually brings me a few hits a day. I have some of my items in Google. Also, some people have talked about my site on other chat forums, and that has brought me some hits as well.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll try the left side! NightOwl, I have Watersweb and tried to list my store in the directory, but I'm having trouble. I'll post it in the ww forums. Thanks all!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:37 PM

hmmmm, I like the right side menu. but then again my DH is a designer, so anything fun and cute and a little different appeals to me. i have seen WAAAAY too many sites that all look alike.
I really like your site btw, and I am pretty darned picky about them.

all just my .02, but I liked the cards on the homepage, they are very unique, something I would buy, but not something that I would go looking for, kwim? I probably would never click on a cards and stationary tab, but totally LOVE those cards. maybe just something smaller?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Your "socks and shoes" link never says that the shoes listed are Pedoodles. I am not familiar enough with shoe brands to recognize the brand by site, so I wouldn't have known ( I only figured it out because one of the descriptions said something about pedoodle). You should call that out. Also, without listing them as pedoodles, they won't come up when a search engines does a text search. You should in clude the brand name as much as possible in the descriptions for clarity and search engine reasons.

another example is the "Karma baby" link. When I clicked on the link I couldn't tell what you were selling. Was it just fabric swatches? only when I opened a link did I see they were actually slings. you should include the description of the Karma baby pouches you have on your "slings" link here.

User Tag List