Do you offer free shipping? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 02-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started a free shipping promotion and so far so good I have gotten quite a few orders but I must say beware beacause i figured it out last night and between pay pal fees and shipping I'm making about a dollar per diaper I decided to do this with the swaddlebees campaign becasue when we did the special for the fitteds i did not sell one fitted diaper not one. everyone wants free shipping so I feel like I have to in order to stay competitive until I can make a name for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 02-04-2006, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I charge actual costs for shipping, though sometimes I'll include free shipping on an order if it is something I need to get out of here, like items from a cancelled custom order. I do include shipping in the cost of my home sewing patterns, though, mainly because it made it easier to set up my MAL's cart for it , but even for that, I offer Priority shipping for an extra fee.

I haven't once had someone complain about the shipping costs, and I get a pretty even mix of those requesting 1st class shipping VS. Priority mail, so I think the customers like getting a choice about it. If I went with free shipping, I'd have to do it the cheapest possible which customers don't always want.

I have decided to start including DC for free on my packages now, though, instead of having the customer pay for it, since it's more for my benefit than theirs. Plus I can sometimes get it for free anyway if I use Click 'n Ship for my Priority Packages.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#33 of 36 Old 02-04-2006, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
to answer Amy's question about paying tax, you only charge tax on orders that come from your own state. In fact, you can live in one state and have it shipped to another and not have to pay tax, as long as the store you order from has no physical location in that state. For example, if I want to order something from the Hanna Andersson catalog, sometimes I will have it shipped to my mom's house in Ohio if I know we'll see her soon, because if I have it shipped to my house, I pay tax (because Hanna Andersson has stores in Illinois) and I pay shipping. When I send it to my mom, I pay only shipping.
#34 of 36 Old 02-04-2006, 03:32 AM

that's funny, beth- i have done that same thing

i'm still debating on the free ship thing...I've decided to go free/included price on my WAHM site, only because it is SO confusing to figure out how much anyone would pay, but still not decided on my gifts site...they are such different areas, I'm not sure which way to go...i know I HATE exorbitant shipping charges, but I would also be put off by way high prices...uggg!

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#35 of 36 Old 02-04-2006, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really don't like prices that are simply higher to accomodate shipping. That feels deceptive to me, because often sites tout their free shipping, but you'll notice their prices are just higher. I would rather just pay shipping. I don't mind shipping that is higher (slightly) than what I know it would cost to ship the item, because I realize there is work involved in shipping. However, I also judge a little bit by the size of the operation. If I am ordering from Land's End, I do get a little ticked off about shipping charges, because you know that with their huge volume, their shipping costs are much lower than what you pay. But with smaller companies, or WAHMs, I don't care at all about shipping, because I understand what is involved in the work and getting it shipped out.

Another big however, is that if WAHMs actually charged true retail prices, then free shipping would not be as big an issue, since your profit margin is a lot higher when you are both manufacturer and retailer. But another ball of wax.
#36 of 36 Old 02-04-2006, 08:19 PM

i do free shipping, but mostly so that my book keeping is easier, LOL. Then i know exactly what my sales have beenf or the year and just take the shipping as a business expense. I do charge sales tax for orders in nevada.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page