What's gonna happen to WAHM and the cost of pocket diapers? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spearso, I'm apparently reading freespiritmom's posts in an entirely different way than you are. I don't see the rudeness that you are getting from them. She has been expressing suprise that some folks are ok with such a miniscule profit. Seems to me that she (a small business owner herself) is just laying out the realities of the free market. If someone is willing to undervalue their work, there will always be someone ready to take them up on it. If a WAHM -or anyone else- feels she has no choice but to shoot herself in the foot financially by offering discounts or freebies that she cannot afford to offer, it's really her own problem, not the customer's problem. This is different than saying it's her "fault" - I'm not putting a value judgement on it - just saying that if the diaper market is so saturated that there just isn't the kind of demand that will allow everyone to maintain a decent profit, its a situation the seller has to deal with (either by tweaking her business approach or finding a new direction alltogether.)

What I'm trying to understand here is the apparent attachment that so many have to running a business that isn't all that profitable. (Basing this on an earlier statement by someone that it isn't uncommon to make less than $350 in a year.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 02:07 PM

From freespirit's post:
Quote:
Susie ~ humorous reply imo. I don't quite understand your snarky comments about being proud of buying from a wahm who doesn't pay herself adequately. I ASSume from that comment that I should feel ashamed for paying less?
Yes, I was trying to be humorous, wasn't I? And I was oh-so-snarky. And very clever with the 'ASSume', worthy of any fifth-grader. She meant to be rude, and she was succsesful.

I guess we should all shop at Wal-mart and take advantage of the Chinese laborers willing to work for .35 cents/hour. For some reason, it's a cool thing to boycott Wal-mart b/c they exploit unfair labor markets, but if a WAHM is willing to exploit herself, better get in on it! What's the difference????

susie
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearso
From freespirit's post:

Yes, I was trying to be humorous, wasn't I? And I was oh-so-snarky. And very clever with the 'ASSume', worthy of any fifth-grader. She meant to be rude, and she was succsesful.

I guess we should all shop at Wal-mart and take advantage of the Chinese laborers willing to work for .35 cents/hour. For some reason, it's a cool thing to boycott Wal-mart b/c they exploit unfair labor markets, but if a WAHM is willing to exploit herself, better get in on it! What's the difference????

susie
So, shall we boycott WAHMs who undercharge?

See, the difference is that a lot of small businesses undercharge for fear that they won't move product. What is worse - selling too cheap to be profitable, or not selling at all? I personally think if those are the only two choices, it's time to sell something else. This is a choice I've had to make many times as a seller.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:53 PM

that anyone boycott Wal-mart. I just find it interesting that ppl are glad to take advantage of WAHMs (yes, they let themselves be taken advantage of), but they will preach about the unfairness of companies that exploit other labor markets where ppl aren't paid what they deserve for their work. There is no difference, IMO. And in terms of 'needing' diapers, a lot of it around here is hobby.

It would be interesting if Tereson could chime in here about how much the patent cost her, and how much it costs her to defend the patent. I think you'd all be surprised what a financial undertaking it involves. And if she didn't have that patent, a big company (like Gerber, or Jolly Jumper) would exploit the idea, make pocket diapers in China, and sell them at Toys R Us, forcing all the WAHMs sewing pocket diapers out of business (b/c the cheap customer will head to Toys R Us to get a good deal, won't you?).

susie
Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritmom
I don't recall anyone saying that certain wahms were "overcharging". Some wahms attach very high prices to their products while others don't. I think everyone would agree that we all have the right to price our products according to what we think they are worth and attempt to bring in a profit which we think we deserve. From your words it seems that those who are willing to pay less for a product are somehow responsible for the wahm's low profit. If wahm "A" is charging 3 x's as much as wahm "B" for the same product then more power to her. I just don't understand shaming those who choose or need to purchase from wahm B because her prices are more affordable.
Just to clarify, I was responding to this-

Quote:
I got sick of watching the "hyenas" stalking wahms who were selling diaper products at extraordinarily high prices while other diaper wahms were selling equally superior products at low/fair prices
I wasn't trying to shame anyone, but I feel like people don't understand that "fair" prices are not exactly fair to the WAHM. You can choose where you shop and what you spend based on whatever is important to you of course. No one is judging anyone (well, I'm certainly not!)
Old 02-24-2006, 03:43 PM

I'm not suggesting anyone boycott anyone. It was a rhetorical question.

If WAHM #1 offers her item for $20 and WAHM #2 offers the same item for $15, "should" I buy from #1 to support higher pay for WAHMs, or should I buy from #2?

I, the consumer, don't know why #2 has a lower price.

Maybe she has more efficient production methods and can maintain a profit even with a lower price. (It's possible that she is actually making more money than #1. Who knows?)

Maybe she's getting out of business and would rather just move stuff out.

Maybe she's an insecure person who undervalues her time.

My point is - as a buyer, I'm generally (not always, just generally) going to take a WAHM's price at face value and assume she knows what shes doing with her pricing because ITS HER BUSINESS.

And the equation that high prices = high profit is just not always true.

But bottom line - the burden of making a profit is on the seller, not the buyer. Which is AGAIN - why I say that I'm shocked that so many WAHMs seem to be ok with super low profits. It is their responsibility to decide what they will accept, not the buyer. And if the diaper market doesn't allow for so many people to make decent money, WHY ARE PEOPLE STAYING IN IT? This is the part I just don't get.

I have sold on Ebay for 5 years, and when my profits drop below what I have determined to be an acceptable level...it means it's time to change what I'm selling, how I'm selling it, review my whole system. I don't think "man it sucks that people are cheap and won't pay me what I deserve my overhead is going up and everyone else is undercutting me." It is MY resposibility set up my business in a way that meets my standards of profitibility, or to do something else that does.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:34 PM

I suppose I was a bit rude. I could have gotten my point across without being offensive. The anger I was feeling when typing obviously spilled over into my words and I apologize for not using more restraint. I have to be honest though. I find your (susie's) attitude and finger pointing at the customer ... placing blame on the buyer's shoulder... for the wahm not profitting her worth obnoxious and it does rub me the wrong way.

Comparing Walmart to the wahm is like comparing apples to oranges. It's simply ridiculous. They are 2 separate planets not even remotely related.

You continue to insinuate that the buyers are taking advantage of the underpricing wahm and I find that personally offensive in so many ways. Maybe you aren't happy with the profit you are turning and feel the need to blame someone other than yourself. I certainly get that impression from your words. You are right ... we can't have it both ways... but that, my dear, is totally up to the wahm. I have never asked or expected "freebies" or discounts on my wahm purchases. If I did ask then I would expect the wahm to be intelligent enough to base the decision on whether or not she could truly afford to give them. I have certainly had my share of customers wanting a discount but whether I agreed to one or not was up to me. No one was twisting my arm.

It's really rather black and white in my opinion. You can't blame the customer if the wahm isn't making the money she should. The wahm is completely responsible for the prices she sets, the discounts she gives, and the freebies she offers,etc. If a wahm is charging a price that seems fair *only* to the customer then why isn't she charging more??? When I set the prices for my products the first person I think of is ME. I'm the one investing money in the materials and putting in the time to produce the items. I want to create quality items and sell them at a fair price but above all it has to be worth it to ME. If not then I'm wasting time that could be put towards my family. If the wahm knows she is underpricing her products and therefore underpaying herself then why continue to do so? And, more importantly, why blame the customer?

quote: "I guess we should all shop at Wal-mart and take advantage of the Chinese laborers willing to work for .35 cents/hour. For some reason, it's a cool thing to boycott Wal-mart b/c they exploit unfair labor markets, but if a WAHM is willing to exploit herself, better get in on it! What's the difference????"

I just don't understand the above statement. As mentioned earlier...you CANNOT compare wahms to a mass retailer. Do you honestly believe that if a wahm "is willing to exploit herself" by underpricing her products then we should all do her a favor and not support her business? I'm all for avoiding walmart when possible (I'm no hippocrite as I shop there myself) but I refuse to believe that I'm doing the right thing by only supporting the successful wahms turning a decent profit. How the heck would I know what a wahm is profitting? I'm suppose to ASSume that if her prices are low that she's obviously exploiting herself and I should feel obligated to shop elsewhere. I know how Walmart makes a large portion of it's money... by exploiting others. Mass merchandisers taking advantage of those less fortunate is not something I feel good about supporting. A wahm, on the other hand, is completely in control of her own destiny in regards to her business and profit. She calls the shots so to speak. She can decide that her time is worth $15 an hour or worth less than minimum wage and then she can price her products accordingly. If she isn't charging enough for her work then she is making an unwise business decision. I wouldn't say she is exploiting herself.

For what it's worth, Susie, I really did try to wrap my brain around your point of view. I have since given up. And despite our disagreement I still wish your business success and would have had no problem financially supporting it through an online order. I will, however, do as you asked and note that any future purchase from me is unwelcome. I am curious though. If customers like me (someone who feels it's very important to support other wahms and small business owners like yourself) isn't what you are wanting... exactly what type of customer ARE you looking for? Call me weird but I appreciate all my customers ... even those who don't share my point of view.

edited for clarity
Old 02-24-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen bee
What I'm trying to understand here is the apparent attachment that so many have to running a business that isn't all that profitable. (Basing this on an earlier statement by someone that it isn't uncommon to make less than $350 in a year.)
I'd like to chime in on this question... I started sewing diapers for my son over a year ago and LOVE it. I made so many diapers that we didn't have room for all of them - I could go a week without washing and not run out. Then I started swapping so I could keep sewing diapers but not have to keep them. Then I thought, well, if all these other mamas can sell diapers, maybe I can too. So I opened my business in October. According to our 2005 taxes, I spent over $1000 and made under $200 from Oct-Dec. Maybe I'm dumb to keep doing this, but I keep thinking that once I build up my supply inventory and get established I'll make a profit. I'm fortunate that I don't NEED this income for my family like many WAHMs do, if the business itself breaks even I'll be good.

So in answer to your question - IMO many WAHMs keep doing what they're doing because they LOVE it, even if they're not making much.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 PM

Um... also, many WAHMs make and sell diapers as a part-time income, rather than as a full-on, full-time business. And they do so because their families need the money and it helps fill in the gaps during leaner months. (I could only fit in so much sewing with two small, high-needs children last year, and I couldn't afford a huge materials investment, but my fabric stash was money in the bank when property tax time rolled around and I could manage an hour or two a night at the machine.)

Naturally profit over a year is going to be lower in these cases, and the license fee could take away the lion's share of that profit. So for these mamas, it's going to have a make-or-break impact.

Having said that, I'm one of those who is grateful to Tereson for having kept pocket diapers within the WAHm realm.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 PM

Crap. That was a long reply. You have a lot of time on your hands. I've made my point, you've made yours, clearly we're never going to agree, and share an afternoon combing each other's hair, singing folk songs. So good night, and good luck.

susie
Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not suggesting anyone boycott anyone.
I think everyone on earth should Boycott Walmart, and I do, even though I am poor. But, that is another thead in another forum.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthebluerug
Um... also, many WAHMs make and sell diapers as a part-time income, rather than as a full-on, full-time business. And they do so because their families need the money and it helps fill in the gaps during leaner months. (I could only fit in so much sewing with two small, high-needs children last year, and I couldn't afford a huge materials investment, but my fabric stash was money in the bank when property tax time rolled around and I could manage an hour or two a night at the machine.)

Naturally profit over a year is going to be lower in these cases, and the license fee could take away the lion's share of that profit. So for these mamas, it's going to have a make-or-break impact.

Having said that, I'm one of those who is grateful to Tereson for having kept pocket diapers within the WAHm realm.
Thats true... but what I fear is that when you look at the numbers for the year WAHMs who are undercharging are not really breaking even at all... in fact I am willing to say most take a loss. If you are really careful with what you spend and you can sell things you dont have to take a loss, but it took me a good 3 years before I was able to report any type of profit and I had pretty regular sales. That was simply because when i figured cost i was saying oh this cost me $8 in materials and i can sell it for such and such... I wasnt including so many other things that go into a business. Machine maintenance, web design, hosting, gas to the post office, shipping on supplies to me... etc etc.

I know first hand that sometimes a business can get you the money you need right now... but i also know that i often dip into my own personal money and take money away from the family funds to buy supplies. Its a hard balance to find and I gather that many have a problem with this (myself included). I think its something wahms have to think about and really calculate if its worth it or not.... or start upping the price so it is worth it.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearso
Crap. That was a long reply. You have a lot of time on your hands. I've made my point, you've made yours, clearly we're never going to agree, and share an afternoon combing each other's hair, singing folk songs. So good night, and good luck.

susie
lol ..yeah, you too
Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 PM

oh my gosh. another totally off topic reply but, Tiffany, I *love* your website. I had never seen it until today. Beautiful!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
... but i also know that i often dip into my own personal money and take money away from the family funds to buy supplies. Its a hard balance to find and I gather that many have a problem with this (myself included). I think its something wahms have to think about and really calculate if its worth it or not.... or start upping the price so it is worth it.
I totally agree with you. I know that I'm definitely guilty of robbing July to pay November. I'm also guilty of being cowed by window-shopping, just-curious sposie-users who react with disgust when they read my price tag. Since making a full business plan and staring down a proper costing analysis, I've had no choice but to up my prices. Unfortunately we also have to take into account what the market will bear after we've really done our homework. Another fine line...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritmom
oh my gosh. another totally off topic reply but, Tiffany, I *love* your website. I had never seen it until today. Beautiful!
Thank you Sherrie!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
QueenBee, I think you really nailed what the issue is; customers do not know why a WAHM charges the prices they do, and most WAHM's don't even realize they are undervaluing their products in the first place. I really think it's up to our community to educate our customers and each other if we are going to put an end to those sorts of practices. But even beyond that is putting an end to the nasty comments aimed at WAHM's who raise their prices to try and make a living wage. I totally get that some people can't afford handmade diapers, but why is it OK to bash the one making those diapers? I am doing what I can to offer products in various price ranges and yet I still see my products compared to Gerber. What is a WAHM to say to someone who bashes their handmade, all-the-trimmings, 100% cotton, super-fancy-pants because they cost 5 times what the mostly-polyester, made-in-mexico for $2.00 an hour and sold at Walmart pants cost? It's fine to say you can't afford the expensive ones, but do you make snarky comments about Ralph Lauren because his jackets cost more than the Cabin Creek knock-offs at JCPenney??

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 02-25-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthebluerug

Yup, thank you. I didn't buy my business thinking I would support my family but I hoped that there would be times when it would add a little extra income. What I have learned is that it does add income but only when I can treat it as a full-time job, ie; sewing 8 hours a day. I'm other things that take up my time, KWIM? High needs toddler, a midwifery apprenticeship, I'm a SAHM without childcare.

I think people need to understand that there are both types of WAHMs out there, those who are supporting their families and those (like myself) who do this because we like it, it's a hobby, albeit an expensive one that barely pays for itself. But for no matter what reason someone is making or selling diapers no one else has the right to judge how much they charge or the people who are willing to pay up.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 AM

I don't see anyone placing judgement and I hope I never see/hear someone bashing a wahm based solely on her higher prices. I have read posts that suggested certain diapering products are not worth their price considering the fact that they leak, don't hold up to normal wear etc. but normally I read words that congratulate diaper wahms for creating a product that can easily sell on the higher end of the pricing scale. Generally their products are worth every penny and their success is celebrated.

My earlier statement regarding "extraordinary" prices by some wahms was shared to make a point... that though some do sell at high prices there are wahms making products of equal quality (sometimes superior) and selling at a lower price. Over the years, I've seen a number of diapering wahms close their business due to lack of sells & profit and it's always been the ones that were selling at what most would consider a fair (lower) price. It's unfortunate.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by inchwormz
"The problem is there will always be people that, even if they *can* afford to pay the price, will still search high and low for the cheapest deal they can find. And you are absolutely right. A more affordable diaper comes at a cost somewhere. Most people just don't bother looking as to where this cost is."

Soooooooooooooooo........ TRUE!

also though, it's these same mamas running to hyena cart who have brought the price of CD's to somewhat of a decent price finally.

Finally CD's are being seen as a clothing item, not just a place for pee or poo.

In boutiques, clothes are $25-$75 ea, why not the same for a handmade one-of-a-kind diaper that can't be found in stores?

If you want to help WAHMS go on boards and rave about how much better WAHM diapers are, not about what a drag it is to wait for your diapers to be sewn,or why every time you find a good wahm diaper the mama goes out of biz.

Rave about how much of a deal they are at $25 a pop.

About how earth friendly mama and baby friendly and economical compared to disposies wahm dipes are!

Everyone wants a deal, and I don't blame them at all, I'm the same way, it's human nature.

BUT, believe me everyone can "afford" cloth diapers at $16 or even $25 ea. because honestly...

.... what would we all be using if it weren't for WAHMS?

That's right disposables, which cost $3500/baby.

There is no way you can tell me that a set of diapers could come anywhere near that mark. (ok well I know some mamas on MDC that may be able to attest to that, but for y'all, you go girls, and keep it up, we'd not be WAHMs w/out you all!)

And everyone who tells me there's no way they can afford to cloth diaper has not taken elementary school math, lol! A set of one-size dipes costs around $350, that's about the cost for the first 3 mo alone of disposies!

They would not be out there pinning, that's for sure, they use disposies.

But...I'll give you a tiny taste at WAHM-dom

Everyday I slave away at being a WAHM. Not for profit of some large amt, just to bring in a little to pad the wallet against hardship.

SAHM's in general sacrifice a TON! And if your DH only makes a meager amt of $30 a yr or so, and you know your place is in the home. What would you do?

I've been in biz for over 3yrs now, and have been able to achieve my goal.

While I've seen plenty of other WAHM's make it big with big ads and lots of $$ and help, with a similar product as mine, that's ok.

My goal is to help other moms cloth diaper their babies, yes, but more importantly be home with my little ones, bring in a bit of income(avg $500/mo after ther first 2yrs or so), and work doing something with a creative edge to it.

I'm sure most WAHM's have had literally 100's of test run diapers, that's totally normal, we all do it. In fact that is one of the nice things about being a WAHM and doing it all yourself.

How do you think things keep improving in this field?

If we were all running factories the pattern would be off and running without us,and it would be way too hard to make any changes at all.

But if a mom emails me and says "Sarah can you make me a diaper like this....,or like that, or with this fabric instead."

Of course we say YES! And go to the drawing board once again.

I have probably about 75 different patterns sitting in my shoe box, of perfectly good diapers. All differing kinds, styles, shapes, etc. Each one carefully measured, planned and tested on my children or others.

Do we ever get paid for that part? Nope.

I even developed my own sewing pattern, but saw so many other people starting their own wahm shops w/ it that I stopped selling it,lol.

It is a cut throat business.

And every day I hear people asking for deals. Everyone wants a deal. Everyone wants something for free.

It's so much easier for the bigger retail co's to offer things that they buy wholesale, for discounts, that it makes the wahms go out of business because they keep cutting, and cutting costs to try to keep up.

That's just how business is. It would be great if it were all fair and rosy, but the truth is a perfectly good wahm has to work her butt off to stay in the biz. I've been lucky to have stayed in it long enough to get repeat customers and word of mouth sales,otherwise I may have moved on too.

$3.50/hr sounds right sometimes. I think I've put in 8, 12 hr days this past wk and a half, and I'll continue to work thru the night ea night to get what I have to get done. DH lost his job 2 mo ago,and had to move to another city for work interviews, and so i burn the candle on all 4 ends to bring in something to feed our kids and pay the mortgage.

and I May have made $250, this month, lol.

So you SAHM's who don't have to work at home are very lucky! I envy you many days. I remember what it was like to be able to relax in the evenings, after a hard day watching kids all day, instead of work..lol!

sarah mama hard at work, writing a book,lol...must go sew, sew sew...lol
Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 AM

And there you are with a buy two get one free offer. I hadn't realised how much goes into cloth diapering businesses.

The other day I was on a MySpace cloth diapering group and a WAHM came on to pitch her CD business and when the group members visited the website there was this big exclamaion about how they were the most expensive diapers they had ever seen. Now, I am poor and just use prefolds, so I've never known the joy of a well-made WAHM diaper, but I went on and said that the price seemed very reasonable to me for a hand-made item constructed with organic materials. I said it was also average for an all-in-one made this way. I also laughed because I've seen diapers that cost way more than $30. I think the highest I've seen was $55.

Anyway, I am the kind of person who, when she can, buys the more expensive Pampered Chef pizza stone to support the WAHM selling it, or buys the $1.00 more yarn from the small shop, or the more expensive apples from the corner fruit stand, when I can, because I like to keep the mom at home with her kids and the farmer growing organic on his small plot. But, I also know that sometimes you have no idea how you are going to diaper your baby, feed yourself, and pay the electric bill, and you have no choice but to bargain shop and consider your own needs and not the bigger picture. It's hard to worry about workers in China when your own children need lunch.

I think that when we can, we should shop quality instead of quantity, and frequent the businesses that pay fair wages and support families, but when we can't, we can't. That is life. No one can blame a mom for thinking of her own family first.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:15 PM

I have envelope pocket diapers that I feel work much better than the traditional pocket diapers.

The envelope pockets don't allow the PUL to touch baby's back, tummy, etc.

Plus, the inserts don't creep out the front or back of the diapers.

I started making my own diapers and refused to purchase a lic. for so much.

I'm glad now, b/c I like the design of my diaper now more than ever.

I don't think it would be a very good idea to have the pocket in the middle...Yuck...talk about a dirty insert removing job...LOL

Anyone??
Old 04-22-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBornBoys
I have envelope pocket diapers that I feel work much better than the traditional pocket diapers.

I don't think it would be a very good idea to have the pocket in the middle...Yuck...talk about a dirty insert removing job...LOL

Anyone??
I love the envelope diapers you created. They are more trim than FB could ever be. I do not think taking out the insert is a big deal at all. Heck, we are already wiping our babes butts off.. and should wash our hands afterwards... so what if your skin might touch a damp insert. It is my baby's pee afterall. Plus, I think it is a fair trade off for such a well designed diaper that fits like a glove!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBornBoys

Anyone??
Hey mama, just an FYI but Fluffymail.com calls a version of their diapers Envelopes and I believe trademarked the name in regards to stuffable AIOs a year or 2 ago (goes along with their mail theme). I remember when people on the diapering board were asking what an envelope was You may want to think of another name/title for your products.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyMama
Hey mama, just an FYI but Fluffymail.com calls a version of their diapers Envelopes and I believe trademarked the name in regards to stuffable AIOs a year or 2 ago (goes along with their mail theme). I remember when people on the diapering board were asking what an envelope was You may want to think of another name/title for your products.

Okay, okay ..."Pocket-Style" or as the PD police requested I call it, Envelope-Style"

Either way, you say it, there's an opening to stuff an insert...and it is "Strategically Placed" so no red marks.

I'll definitely make sure I'm not infringing on someones Trademark when they debut! Thanks for the low-down
It is much appreciated!!

User Tag List