Needing help deciding what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-25-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so greatful to get to stay home with my 6 month old daughter. I would much rather be poor and stay home with her than have money and miss out on the everyday adventures with her. However, we are getting more and more in over our heads when it comes to living off of one income. I am interested in finding a job that I can do at home. Just wanted to hear some wahm's opinions on what they do. My husband wants me to try and run an ebay business or something in that field. However I do not know to much about that. Would be very helpful to get input from fellow wahm's. Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 03-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Hello!
I totally hear you on how you'd rather be poor and be home with your daughter and I always said the same thing until I realized that there are so many different ways to make money from home.
I, myself have 2 home businesses, Juice Plus (which is mostly for personal use since I really only sell it to family) and Mia Bella candles, which is really helping pay the bills.
You mentioned that your husband wants you to run an ebay business, but I think you should remember that this will be YOUR business and it has to be something that you are passionate about.
Have you checked out wahm.com? They have so many ideas on ways to work out of your house and they also have an ebay or online auction folder you can read through to see if that sounds like something you'd like to do.
#3 of 13 Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM

mymommybiz.com has long lists of good business ideas! check it out! good luck in your search.
#4 of 13 Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 PM

I tried to do an Ebay bus. and I hated it. People want name brand stuff for cheap, so you scour resale shops, garage sales, etc. Or if you make something, you have to compete with those name brand items that are made and sold for less. Then there are the scammers. Ug, but I'm sure there are those who have had a great experience doing it.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#5 of 13 Old 05-12-2006, 03:09 AM

I have been through about every type of home based business opoortunity whether as a participant in a meeting, a distributor or independent agent, or just searching through info...(okay, maybe not all of them - there are a lot out there), but one thing I can advise is that you must do something that goes along with your values(as close as possible) and it must be something you love. There are individuals who approach me with internet selling opportunities - and then I ask myself about where the products are made, issues with fair trade, etc. Or companies that promise natural ingredients, but still contain some chemicals that I question. Do your research and find what you feel comfortable with. Discovery Toys is a good start. Natural Family Boutique is another. I work from home with my own creations now and no compensation plans, etc. Internet selling and ebay types are okay depending on the product. Hope this helps...
#6 of 13 Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 AM

I have an opportunity to share with you. If you think you'd be able to approach local businesses in your town who typically put ads in your local newspaper, you could be making money helping them put coupons online, even if they don't have a website. If this is something you'd be interested in, contact me anytime. mrsjordanjr@hotmail.com
#7 of 13 Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 AM

My SIL makes pretty good money looking for obscure vintage items in thrift stores and reselling them on ebay. You kind of have to know what you're looking for and what will sell though. What sort of ebay business do you or your husband have in mind?
#8 of 13 Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM

I have my own online business and it is difficult to manage all of it...investing in inventory, advertising, packing boxes til late at night, etc. It can really be time consuming and takes a while to turn a profit.

I also had the Ebay store. With the rising fees for selling on ebay, it makes it hard to make much money doing it.

I recently found out about another thing I started doing. You get paid for completing offers online. I heard some other moms talking about making around $1000 a month doing it and it is not a company you are working for, you're not selling anything, and you do it just as you have time. Anyway if you are interested, you might want to read the thread I started here:
or just PM me for details.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#9 of 13 Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Do you have any natural talents, skills or abilities? Do you find that there's one thing that other people regularly compliment you on doing well? Perhaps something that you do effortlessly while others may struggle with it? If you didn't have to work for money, what would you do? What are your hobbies or special interests? What is your true passion in life? Answering these may help direct your path as, I believe, the jobs that we're intended for are already encoded in our being.

Confucius said: Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Hope this helps.
#10 of 13 Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I recommend 2 books - Wishcraft , by Barbara Sher, and Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow, by Sinitar (I think). Not a quick fix for your financial situation, but each offers a great approach to brainstorming what you really want to be doing and how to make it work.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#11 of 13 Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 PM

I have found a way to get some extra cash that I am really excited about. I have been looking for about 3 years since my first was born, now I have a newborn and need some extra cash. I had to buy diapers for both kids yesterday and it came to almost $40 that's crazy. That is all the money we had budgeted for groceries this week. So I really needed to find something to help out and I have. I have checked this company with the better business bureau and they have a satisfactory record. The cool thing about it is I even get the jerky for myself and after I sign up 6 people my jerky will be paid for so I am getting free jerky and then beyond that 6 people I am putting money in my pocket. It is a low cost investment so I was not risking loosing all our money. Anyways here is a link to my personal website. You are free to sign up yourself and get paid commissions or even to just buy jerky and it even has free shipping. I think we all like free stuff. I know there are others on ebay who are in the same business trying to promote and they are charging you for an ebay auction which I am not. Just remember if you buy from me you would help out a mom with 2 babies. This is a really fun and easy business to get into to and I would love to help you get started. Thanks in advance and enjoy! If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

I have enrolled a Melaluca consultant today that I am really excited about because she has been with melaluca for a long time and is very successful and she also see great oppurtunity with jerky direct. And if you are familiar with Melaluca they promote health and wellness and that was one of the greatest selling points with her because the jerky is all natural. Jerky direct is a fun, very simple business to get into. You don't carry inventory or have to sale anything. You are simply giving others the oppurtunity to join the Jerky Direct business and build a residual income for themselves also. Even after people enroll in your downline you don't have to do anything further. Jerky direct contacts them and welcomes them and answers questions. I just wanted to give you all a little info because this is really a great oppurtunity. Please look at my website and see if this is something you would be interested in. Thanks

http://mommyjamieof2.jerkydirect.com/
#12 of 13 Old 09-16-2006, 11:15 PM

I have 3 children that I would love to stay home with all the time, after reading this forum I must say I'm a little overwhelmed and not sure how to get started. I was wondering if anyone has tried the taking survey sites and if they really do pay you to simply take surveys. This all sounds so great and just too easy, to really makes 100's of dollars a month? Anyway, just wondering what is the easiest to start out with. Thanks for any info.

Atara wife to Joseph mom to Kaleb and Jacob : Caeden Ashlyn : and our angel baby ,:,
#13 of 13 Old 09-17-2006, 11:17 AM

No offense mommy jaimie, but the jerky thing sounds like a pyramid scheme. Im not saying that it is, but I thought the thing with pyramids is that more money is made off recruiting new members than actually selling anything. I guess it also doesnt matter if there is a product or not it can still be a pyramid.

I would just be a bit leery unless I knew for sure. Especially investing money into it. Just my unobjective 2 cents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page