Help with website? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for someone to help me figure out how to do a couple of things on my site: add a page, and change an item or two on the menu. The thing is, I know NOTHING about how to do it (I can add and change a few things on the existing pages, with limited html knowledge) so I am starting from the bottom, basically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 AM

Do you have the files used to create your website? What software do you have on your computer to edit web pages (Dreamweaver, Frontpage)?

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
Old 05-25-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Um, Good question. Someone created it for me, and all I have to make any changes it my Smart FTP. Do I need more than that?

Thanks!

Amy
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM

I have not used Smart FTP but it looks like from the screenshots on their webiste, the only thing you can do is move files from your hard drive to the server, like WS-FTP, which is what I use for that. Does it look like it has a code editing feature, though, that I am missing?

You could use Notepad (assuming Windows) to edit your files, but it will be a bit yucky unless the changes are simple. Can you get Dreamweaver? You could download a trial version to see if you like it.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I totally appreciate your help, but I really have no idea how to do any of this. I hate to start downloading stuff if the think I have will do it. I should just pay someone to do it. I hate to do that too, since it is just removing an item from the menu and telling me how to crate a new page. Oh, what to do. lol

I think I will contact Kristin who created it. I didn't want to bother her since she did so much for me, but I may need her help.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 PM

The best advice I can give is to learn html yourself. It's not that hard, believe me, if I can do it anyone can! I got HTML 4.0 for Dummies and the Everything About Building Your Own Webpage books from the library. There's also tutorials for html online. One I like is Lissa Explains it All - it's written for children, which is about my level when it comes to languages!

Honestly, even if you just learn the basics you'll be surprised what you can do!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I do know quite a bit of html, but I still don't know how to create a new page on my site - ??? Also, I think you need to go into some database to change the menu, you can't just go to each page and edit the html. Am I right?

Thanks.

Amy
Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM

Yes, I think adding a page and then having it appear on the menu has to do with the structure of the website. Probably a little more than html, but I'm no expert. I only know Trellix SiteBuilder which is a point and click WYSIWYG program. GoDaddy has WebSiteTonight which is similar and there are a few other programs like that. But, I think you would have to do your whole site with the software, not edit a current site. Not sure - I would go back to Kristin because it would be quick for her to do and then you wouldn't have to learn a whole new program.

Can I say just one more time how much I love your stuff? I LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 05-25-2006, 05:20 PM

You could edit each page for the buttons, but maybe they are database-driven. I've never seen that.

To create a new page, yeah, I guess it would depend on what was used to make it. I keep my site(s) in Dreamweaver so I can edit them anytime.

The site is really really pretty, btw!

Old 05-25-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4babies
I do know quite a bit of html, but I still don't know how to create a new page on my site - ??? Also, I think you need to go into some database to change the menu, you can't just go to each page and edit the html. Am I right?

Thanks.

Amy
I know we chatted via emial (let me know if you have more questions about that).. I just wanted to also add that you can edit the menu right on the pages, no database with your setup.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Cynthia> Thanks!

Kristine! Yes - it worked. I don't even know if "database" is the right term - lol - but I didn't realize you can just go to each page and edit the menu bar. I will try that. I am also considering a shopping cart, but anybody can use Paypal, so I am not sure what the benefits vs. the cost of change would be.

Thanks again Kristine!

Amy
Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 PM

Most carts work with paypal as well. The benefits would be that its easier to update products, inventory control, template control (based on the cart), and ability to do coupons, order tracking etc.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes - we should talk.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:37 AM

I am also thinking of moving to a "real" shopping cart. I would like to offer coupons and gift certificates, plus control inventory. But I don't want to change the look of my site right now. I was thinking about ZenCart because it is more seamless than some of the others. Not sure though.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM

oops double post...

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 05-31-2006, 05:30 PM

I write websites for a living! I can offer advice on specifics if you want to pm me.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--

User Tag List