How much $ do you make? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much $ do you make on average?
$200 or less/month 16 25.81%
$201-500/month 7 11.29%
$501-800/month 6 9.68%
$800-1100/month 8 12.90%
$1101+/month 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm all over this forum lately,

So, spill it.. I'm curious to know what a realistic income is.. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I'll be the first to say that I made $28 bux last month.. And that's a lot for me.. : :
#3 of 21 Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM

We make between $800-$1100 on our home business working a couple days a week.
#4 of 21 Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
where's the option for negative dollars??

I am still in debt from the creation of my business, but I expected that, my long-term goal is to have a larger business and running it as my career so I went into it not expecting to "make" money for several years. Right now, the business supports itself, but I have not yet paid back my initial investment or started taking a salary.
#5 of 21 Old 10-19-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I hope things get better, Beth!

Marisa - you hiring!?!
#6 of 21 Old 10-19-2006, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You do still need to take several things into consideration when figuring out your income. I don't have any child care, which limits my income some but if I were to hire someone so that I had more time to make more money, a lot of that money would be going to child care.

One of the great things about working from home are all the things you DON'T have to pay for, like eating out, travel costs, business clothes, child care, etc. Be sure that you've whittled down your budget before trying to figure out how much you need to make, you might be suprised that it's less than you think

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 21 Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM

I brought in a total of $8K last year as a potter. But $3K of that went to expenses. And because it was my first year running the business, for tax purposes we put in all of the start-up costs. So I ended up with a negative number. (I was single then - it was a tough year!) If I could have stayed in my studio, I could have turned a profit this year - probably $800/mo or so. But I moved, and start-up costs are far higher here. So I'm left looking for a "real job." Blech.

So many other WAHM businesses have far cheaper start-up costs, though. And better returns for your time. I could have made far more money per hour being a re-seller of someone else's work, that I'm sure of!
#8 of 21 Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 PM

I have a home daycare and I bring in almost $50K a year. This is probably a bit higher than most home daycares but I am by referral only and have a waiting list so my demand is pretty high.

I love what I do and even more, I love that the parents appreciate what I do and tell their family and friends about it.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#9 of 21 Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 PM

Whaaaa... 50K/year on daycare? Wow Melissa, you must have a magic formula for success somewhere
#10 of 21 Old 10-20-2006, 09:02 PM

I make $1000 a week working part-time from home with my home-based business.

Rose
#11 of 21 Old 10-21-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Please.. Share your secrets!!!!
#12 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 PM

I make pretty close to $700 a month... sometimes more only 1 time less... LOL How great it is that moms and be moms and still make some money... I do Direct Sales what about everyone else?
#13 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 PM

this is a great thread, I'm considering working from home... but have so many questions as to what kind of income I can expect or hope for. Can those of you answering this threatype of business also say the type of business it is, how long you have been doing it, and about how many hours you put in per week? THANKS
#14 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 PM

I voted $1101+. I do home childcare as an employee of my city. I just started this week, working full-time (40 hours+ a week).
#15 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM

I am making between 1000-1200 month doing home daycare. I gotta say though, it's kicking my butt right now!
#16 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 PM

I never considered having a home based business but I must say it's the best thing I have ever done. The company I joined made a tremendous impact in my health (I also safely & NATURALLY shed 2 dress sizes in 1 1/2 months. 7 lbs, 8 1/2 inches, in the first 9 days!) MOST importantly I got my health back after years of so many health issues. I already work a full-time job but I also work my HBB on a part-time basis (about 10 hours a week) and the $$$ money I am earning is GREAT (and certainly not what I had expected). I would recommend to anyone considering a home-based business to do something that you can really enjoy and have fun doing. The products are phenomenal and practically sell themselves so this really helps. For me, I love that I get to make a difference in people's health. I also dedicate my time training others to do the same. I love seeing my team members achieve success. There are many who are making WAY more than me and it really makes me SO happy to see them do so. Just like anything, the harder you work the better but it pays off. It's worked well for me. I will soon be able to say ADIOS to corporate America and REALLY dedicate as much time as I wish on earning more than just $1000 a week! I earn a little less than this a month working full-time as an adminstrative assistant. But I'm not ready to let it go until I double it. The way things are going I am happy to say, that it will happen soon. My long term goal is to earn a six-figure income from home within the next 3 years and help others to do the same.

Rose
: :
#17 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 AM

but now that i'm not doing anything that deals with products i think i'm finally getting a little more ahead....SLOOOOOOOWLY.

i have been so frustrated with how little actually goes into my pocket when dealing with making/selling products, so i am really happy doing all my work online and dealing in services instead of products. i see so many wahms that have so many really awesome products but it seems like unless you are super popular, a hyena certainly, that i don't know how you make any profit! guess it depends on the product...

not to mention that you may spend a LOT of time putting together your products. of course if its something you love, there's no problem cuz you just love doing it! but i just felt like there wasn't a way for me personally (since i'm not particularly crafty) to make much of any money with products so i am very happy to have found my niche on the internet in mommy chats.

my money comes entirely from advertisements and events on my sites. its not much, yet, but its steadily growing. especially now with the biz directory on mommychats...i can't believe how quickly that grew! and recently i've been bursting with fun ideas for events and contests and such, and have grown quite a crowd of chatters, so traffic is picking up and with that comes more ads!

i love watching those paypal receipts come in for just a little trickle here and there...it adds up! when we need gas and its close to payday and we are broke, that paypal card sure comes in handy cuz there's usually a little pocket of money in there.

now if i can just get things going enough to be really drawing in what i could consider an income! i still only make just a couple hundred (if that) a month...but hey! every little bit counts, right??
#18 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 AM

You're right Tina. Any extra income is better than none. It sounds as though you really enjoy what you are doing. I think it is key to any success. Working on the internet is a great way to earn a living. I dabble in everything which is a great advantage for me. I guess I just love what I do & I love sharing my experience. It took me a year to get where I got & I'm doing it part-time! I'm sure in time it will pick up for you. Hang in there. I believe in the old saying "winners never quit & quitters never win".

Blessings,

Rose
:
#19 of 21 Old 10-28-2006, 01:08 AM

I make $250/wk caring for my husband's grandparents who are in their 90s. One is blind and in a wheelchair and the other has severe dementia. I am responsible for them from 10:00pm Sunday until 12:00 am Friday night (122 hrs/wk!). It is very tiring but at least I won't have to leave my baby once it's born. I WILL have to put it down much more often than I would like to and make lots of other sacrifices but it's nothing compared to moms who work away from their babies.
#20 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
It is very tiring but at least I won't have to leave my baby once it's born. I WILL have to put it down much more often than I would like to and make lots of other sacrifices but it's nothing compared to moms who work away from their babies.

Babywearing! I know sometimes that won't be practical all the time (maybe if you have to help bathe a grandparent), but seriously a sling or carrier can help a lot. You can make toast, get a sweater for Grandpa, read a book to them and on and on, all with you baby tucked in against your chest or back.
#21 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwl View Post
Babywearing! I know sometimes that won't be practical all the time (maybe if you have to help bathe a grandparent), but seriously a sling or carrier can help a lot. You can make toast, get a sweater for Grandpa, read a book to them and on and on, all with you baby tucked in against your chest or back.
I totally plan on babywearing as much as possible. I think I can even do the most of bathing with a baby in a sling (I've been practicing stuff with my cats--believe it or not they love it.) The main problem is, with the dementia, grandpa sometimes has fits of aggression. I can see it in his eyes when it's approaching, but it may be best in those times to keep with baby away from him. Even if it means him/her crying for a few minutes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page