Avon Selling Stay At Home Mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-01-2006, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a stay at home mother. It is driving me CrAzY! I hate being crammed in the house all day but at least I get to spend it with my little one. I tried selling Avon but that requires going out and talking with ladies. And I am unable to do so since my husband is in and out of the house all day with work. Anyone have any suggestions how I could still sell Avon and be successful?

Or does someone have another "Stay at home mom" job I can do around the house and still make some extra cash?
#2 of 13 Old 11-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Moved to WAHM Well

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 AM

Does Avon give you a website to be linked to? That's one way to let family and friends know you're selling without having to get together face to face. Also, what about getting out WITH the baby? Are there any playgroups, mom's groups, or storytime type activities you can attend? There you'll get out of being cooped up in the house, meet lots of other moms, and be able to tell them what you do.

If you're just looking for a different venture other than Avon, check out the WAHM Well board and the Biz Opps & Services Review board for ideas of what other mamas like us do.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM

I am also a WAHM who sells Avon. I can't get out much because I have a 3 yr. old and a newborn, so I toss books. I label and bag them in What's New bags and I toss them from my car into driveways on Sunday mornings before dawn. My husband loads up the car for me the night before. At about 3 a.m., I nurse the baby, put her down, and then get in my car and go tossing. It takes me between 45 minutes and two hours depending on the number of brochures I toss and the route I choose. I get about 1-2% response rate. Most of my customers call me on the phone, but a few have placed orders on my Avon web site.

Good luck!
#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM

I have four girls and do Do-Re-me & You! it works well for me since the kids can go with me if I do daytime playdates and i set my own hours so I only do parties when I want and now that I am a unit leader I am making great money just doing about 3 parties a month!!! and I have amazing women on out team!!!
#6 of 13 Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 PM

What is Do-Re-me and You?
#7 of 13 Old 11-09-2006, 06:49 PM

a company created by kindermusik with musical kits that include books cd's and an imagination friendly activity... I love it and find it cross both crunchy and mainstream lines!!! I can not say how much it has changed my life if you want more info PM me :-)
#8 of 13 Old 07-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskf View Post
I am also a WAHM who sells Avon. I can't get out much because I have a 3 yr. old and a newborn, so I toss books. I label and bag them in What's New bags and I toss them from my car into driveways on Sunday mornings before dawn. My husband loads up the car for me the night before. At about 3 a.m., I nurse the baby, put her down, and then get in my car and go tossing. It takes me between 45 minutes and two hours depending on the number of brochures I toss and the route I choose. I get about 1-2% response rate. Most of my customers call me on the phone, but a few have placed orders on my Avon web site.

Good luck!
I have been thinking about trying this approach too since I'm very shy about sales . Can someone who sells avon tell me how much the catalogs and bags cost. I want to figure out whether this would be worth the time and investment. DH is nervous after my Mary Kay failure!
#9 of 13 Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Honestly I was *super* shy when I started but I've personally found the BEST way to make money at selling Avon is to get out there and meet people!

Knock on the door. Introduce yourself, say you're selling Avon and ask if they'd like a book.

It does get easier with practice and that way people can get to know you and trust you and buy from you.

Otherwise you're wasting your time, money and energy.

Go knock on the doors! You have nothing to lose and some income (and possibly new friends) to gain!
#10 of 13 Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM

I'm guessing that you are a one car family? Then all of the advice about doing playdates and such is not going to help you.

I was a direct sales consultant for a few years while being a one car family, and it is very difficult. Once I exhausted my family and friends network, I kept hitting a brick wall. I definitely think to make direct sales work (and by work I mean making a good profit and not just breaking even after you are buying catalogs and doing cheap advertising...) you have to be a real go getter who is not fazed by rejection. I have seen too many people waste their money signing up as a consultant for a company thinking "Oh, this one is it! This product I'll be able to sell!" when in fact they are shy, have limited contact with new people, etc. They think that just because the product is different it means they don't have to learn how to sell effectively and approach many new people.

I'm not saying direct sales doesn't work. But there are many people who it doesn't work for. And on the flip side, if you have that kind of personality, you'll do what it takes to make it work.
#11 of 13 Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM

You are same like me. I also want to know what is exactly involved in selling AVON. Do you buy catalogs, if so how much are they? Do you earn income by selling items percentage off of the sale? What is the profit margin per item? How much do you work and how much (approx.) do you earn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkelsey View Post
I have been thinking about trying this approach too since I'm very shy about sales . Can someone who sells avon tell me how much the catalogs and bags cost. I want to figure out whether this would be worth the time and investment. DH is nervous after my Mary Kay failure!

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#12 of 13 Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
I also want to know what is exactly involved in selling AVON. Do you buy catalogs, if so how much are they? Do you earn income by selling items percentage off of the sale? What is the profit margin per item? How much do you work and how much (approx.) do you earn?
Yes, you have to buy the catalogues. You buy them in quantities of 10.
The price depends on how many you are buying.
ie) In Canada 10 books cost $10 but if you buy 100+ books the cost goes down to about 33 cents each.

Yes. You earn 40% on the first 2 orders (as an incentive to get you motivated) then the earnings change according to the amount of your order.
-under $100 = 10% all the way to $1500+ = 50%

Fashion & lifestyle items are 20%, some items have fixed earnings (ie. NHL products). The majority of items (skincare, bubble bath, etc.) receive full earnings.

How much you work depends on you and what YOU want with Avon.
Do you want to pay for your Avon order? Do you want to make a lot of money?

How much you work depends on how many brochures you order, how many customers you have, how far apart your customers live and how much you promote your business. With Avon, it's totally up to you!
#13 of 13 Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 AM

I did Avon in college. I wasn't a great avon lady I basicaly broke even. I'm a somewhat introverted person.

I learned alot about how businesses work though and it actually was a great thing on my resume.

The thing that worked for me was using the totebag and wearing the "I sell skin-so-soft" pin. Ladies would approach me and ask about it.

I also enjoyed attending the avon lady meetings.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page