Childcare providers' tribe? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 733 Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just subbing. I've been doing daycare on and off for the past two years. Now I'm "on" again after stopping from burnout and because I had my son and had no idea how to care for him and my daughter at the same time. it was very overwhelming for me at first. I really want to make a career out of this, this time around. I'm excited again and I realized why i got burned out, so I'm trying to do things differently this time around.

I have a 22 month old and a 5 month old. I'm planning on getting licensed this time. I am also not going to take on more than one other infant because I really like working with preschoolers. My ultimate goal is open up a larger center in a big house.

I also do general transcription work so I am hoping to be able to find the balance between daycare and transcription. I love transcribing and getting to use my more intellectual side after playing with my kids all day. I usually transcribe at night after they are asleep...it can get exhausting.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 733 Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Really quickly subbing with a question...

What do you all use for for the kids to nap on? My two are in their own beds of course. 3 year old is in a thick foam "bumpabed" that he loves and it folds up nicely. 2.5 year old and 1 year old are in pack and plays. The 2.5 year old really needs to be out of hers, and next year the 3, 2.5, 2 and 1 year old may need to nap at another house one day a week - so I need something portable.

I was looking at something like these - http://shortlinks.net/uig576 but the fact they're vinyl kind of scares me (my own had an elevated lead level we think from vinyl bibs). Would just a sheet on them solve that issue you think? What do you use?

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#423 of 733 Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post

What do you all use for for the kids to nap on? My two are in their own beds of course. 3 year old is in a thick foam "bumpabed" that he loves and it folds up nicely. 2.5 year old and 1 year old are in pack and plays. The 2.5 year old really needs to be out of hers, ?
What about pulling the bases out of the pack and plays and using them as quiet time mattresses? Don't know if that is portable enough for you, though...

I took some old couch cushions from a couch that went to the dump from a neighbor's home. I covered them in soft fabric (removable and washable) and stacked them in a corner of the playroom. They are used for all sorts of play purposes and two of them together with a kid sized sleeping bag on it is perfect for a quiet time spot.
#424 of 733 Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post

What do you all use for for the kids to nap on? My two are in their own beds of course. 3 year old is in a thick foam "bumpabed" that he loves and it folds up nicely. 2.5 year old and 1 year old are in pack and plays. The 2.5 year old really needs to be out of hers, and next year the 3, 2.5, 2 and 1 year old may need to nap at another house one day a week - so I need something portable.

I was looking at something like these - http://shortlinks.net/uig576 but the fact they're vinyl kind of scares me (my own had an elevated lead level we think from vinyl bibs). Would just a sheet on them solve that issue you think? What do you use?
I actually do use those same Kindermats you linked to. They are great. They fold up into thirds for storage. I made covers for them. Basically, I made a pillowcase type cover but attached the top blanket to the bottom so it is all one piece. The I made a pillow for each child too. They are cute as each one is different kid-themed prints. Each child has their own and I launder them each week.

In my care anyone under 20 mths sleeps upstairs in a playpen. Over 20months sleep in the playroom on kindermats.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#425 of 733 Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Here is our situation --

My DH brings home $440 a week (after taxes, insurance and 6% contribution to retirement) and we spends approx. $75 per week on gas and $160 (could be going up to $200 soon, our DS is only there 4 days per week now) on daycare for our son. So we really are only ahead about $200 a week with DH working full time. I would love to see him stay at home with DS but we really do need a bit of extra income.

How realistic would anyone want a man to watch another child? My head tells me that there wouldn't be anyone who would trust a man to watch their child. They would think it weird and on the extreme view sick.

We don't have any local friends with kids who knows us to know that DH could watch (meaning, they know what kind of a person he is and would trust him).

Funny thing is that he would do a better job at it then I would, but that isn't a societal norm. I make more then he does, so the situation reversed doesn't work for us.

What are your thoughts?
#426 of 733 Old 05-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Mom View Post
Here is our situation --

My DH brings home $440 a week (after taxes, insurance and 6% contribution to retirement) and we spends approx. $75 per week on gas and $160 (could be going up to $200 soon, our DS is only there 4 days per week now) on daycare for our son. So we really are only ahead about $200 a week with DH working full time. I would love to see him stay at home with DS but we really do need a bit of extra income.

How realistic would anyone want a man to watch another child? My head tells me that there wouldn't be anyone who would trust a man to watch their child. They would think it weird and on the extreme view sick.

We don't have any local friends with kids who knows us to know that DH could watch (meaning, they know what kind of a person he is and would trust him).

Funny thing is that he would do a better job at it then I would, but that isn't a societal norm. I make more then he does, so the situation reversed doesn't work for us.

What are your thoughts?
Well, you said you are only ahead $200 and you also said it costs $200 a week for daycare. So, you would only need one child to care for. I would think that one child would be easy enough to find.

I think it is unfortunate that people would view it as weird.

Put out some ads and see what you get.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

#427 of 733 Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Does anyone care for babies in the 6-10 week range? I need some tips and stories! Thanks!
#428 of 733 Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly_Joys View Post
Does anyone care for babies in the 6-10 week range? I need some tips and stories! Thanks!
I have, I took M at 7 weeks and D at just under 4 weeks (they're related to us, so I agreed). That tiny they do a lot of sleeping generally and were happy in a sling. I had to do more to support their mom - phone calls all day, a log of what they ate/did/diapers all day, encouraging pumping and preserving all the breastmilk I could by only heating an ounce or two at a time.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#429 of 733 Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Subbing...

I have a daycare in my home. I have my 3 children, plus a 15 month old, two 3 year olds, a 5 year old (half day), and a 9 year old (after school). At the end of next month one of my moms will bring their 2 week old, and another mom is due in August (I'll get him between 6-8 weeks). I will also have a 10 year old off 2 weeks, on 2 weeks for the summer.

I will be hiring an assistant or two and going group in the next month, because I have so many children.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#430 of 733 Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Hey ladies,

What does your weekly schedule look like? I get to get something together (on paper). Between the number of kids and homeschooling, I need something more solid.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#431 of 733 Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM

My first child arrives at 540am and this same child goes home at 615 pm. In the morning it's mostly free play outside (before it gets too hot) until lunch time. We eat morning snack outside as well. Then they come in for lunch, and after lunch is naptime. During naptime my own kids have homeschool instruction from me. Then I clean up from lunch and try to rest for 20min. Once the littles are all up from nap we have another snack, then it's preschool lesson time. Then we have some freeplay while I clean up from preschool, then we have art. The kids look at books while I clean up from art, then their parents pick them up. My boy that stays late then eats dinner with us before his parents get here. I clean up from dinner, and collapse into bed around 8pm.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#432 of 733 Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Hi everyone. I'm just introducing myself - I'm a mom of two boys - a 5 year old finishing up JK and a 23 month old.

I'm in the process of getting organized and the family organized for a before & after school care program to start in the fall or possibly earlier. Ultimately, I think I'd like to provide all day child care but I want to see how things go and also I'm not sure our house is big enough for numerous preschoolers.

There are several home child care providers in my neighbourhood (I live in province of Ontario) and some are licensed and some are not - the ones who are not licensed are warning me about going with an agency. (Melissa in London - I'm reading your notes with special interest.)

I'm wondering if anyone here provides exclusively before and after school care and if you could tell me about your schedule, how your home is structure. I have a lot of AP and literacy-enriching ideas for the kids. I 've worked young offenders and I've literacy tutored adults so I have some background working with "people". But, I'm a bit nervous about taking on the responsiblity of having other kids in my tiny home.

Any comments or advice are welcome!

:
#433 of 733 Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM

This might seem like a silly question, but I am contemplating taking on another child for my in-home daycare, and I have no idea how I will be able to schedule things. Currently I have my son (nearly 14 months) and another toddler (15.5 months). They are best buds and are on the same schedule. It is difficult to get both down at the same time for naps, and it usually involves my son sleeping on my lap while he nurses and my DCB (daycare boy) sleeping on the couch beside me, or on a heavy blanket on the floor. I just have no idea how I would get a third to nap...

How do other mamas do it with their own little ones? Do I need to start getting both boys on the floor together at the same time? I really don't want to put the in another room, as the only other rooms available are DS's bedroom (which I want to keep entirely seperate from daycare use) my bedroom, and the kitchen.

Also, how do you incorporate different ages in a daycare setting? I am worried that I only have toddler toys that are of interest to my two boys and wouldn't be all that "fun" for an older child. I am so lost here. I need to make more $$, but just can't for the life of me visualize it all.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#434 of 733 Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 PM

So I have been thinking lately of taking in a few children over the age of 1. I have a almost 3 year old daughter and a 16 week old son.

I was thinking of taking in 2 children 1 over the age of 1, and the other over the age of 2~

I had a couple of questions. How many of you do not vaccinate your children? How do you handle sicknesses in your daycare? do you allow the child to come when they are still sick?

How much do you charge per child?

What hours do you operate?

Thanks,

Megan
#435 of 733 Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
Hi everyone. I'm just introducing myself - I'm a mom of two boys - a 5 year old finishing up JK and a 23 month old.

I'm in the process of getting organized and the family organized for a before & after school care program to start in the fall or possibly earlier. Ultimately, I think I'd like to provide all day child care but I want to see how things go and also I'm not sure our house is big enough for numerous preschoolers.

There are several home child care providers in my neighbourhood (I live in province of Ontario) and some are licensed and some are not - the ones who are not licensed are warning me about going with an agency. (Melissa in London - I'm reading your notes with special interest.)

I'm wondering if anyone here provides exclusively before and after school care and if you could tell me about your schedule, how your home is structure. I have a lot of AP and literacy-enriching ideas for the kids. I 've worked young offenders and I've literacy tutored adults so I have some background working with "people". But, I'm a bit nervous about taking on the responsiblity of having other kids in my tiny home.

Any comments or advice are welcome!

:

Hi there! It's me from London!

I have never exclusively done just B/A school but it is something I plan to do once all of my dckids grow up and go off to school FT. I think it would ge a great thing to do. You could also have a home work club at the end of the day so when they go home they can actually spend family time together instead of homework. As a parent that would be a plus to me.

As for agencies (AKA licensed home daycare). I would stay away from them. I have known many a provider who started out with an agency only to eventually leave. First, they pay you much less than the going rate. This is how they make money. Second, they claim to help you to find kids. I have known many provider to have to do this on their own as the agency seems to fail in this aspect. Also, if you start with an agency they make you and the families who you provide care for to sign an non-compete clause and this prevents you from leaving the agency and keeping the families.

The ONLY plus in my opinion of agencies is that you can accept subsidy. But, it is my experience that there is never a lack of families looking for care so you should not have to rely on subsidy as a marketing tool.

Also, agencies are licensed so you have to follow age ratios as well. And, your own children under 6 yrs count in your totals. If you go private then there are no age ratios and you can care for 5 children PLUS your own.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth!

#436 of 733 Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorasMommy View Post
So I have been thinking lately of taking in a few children over the age of 1. I have a almost 3 year old daughter and a 16 week old son.

I was thinking of taking in 2 children 1 over the age of 1, and the other over the age of 2~

I had a couple of questions. How many of you do not vaccinate your children? How do you handle sicknesses in your daycare? do you allow the child to come when they are still sick?

How much do you charge per child?

What hours do you operate?

Thanks,

Megan

My own kids are not vaxed and I have had a home daycare for over 4 yrs now. I would LOVE it if my whole daycare was non-vaxed kids but sadly, that just isn't going to happen.

I don't know what the rules are in your area but in Ontario I am not required to keep vax records in my situation.

I don't even ask parents if their child is vaxed. I really don't care and I would prefer if they were not. I have the odd parent ask if the other kids are vaxed and I am honest and tell them my own kids are not. If they have a problem with that then they can go elsewhere.

As for sickness. I charge for the child's sick days. Kids are not allowed to attend if they have any communicable disease, fever, vomitting, diarhea, chills, generally lethargy, or green mucous from their noses.

I am a stickler for the sick policy. I will refuse a child at the door or send them home if they have any of the above (or in the past 24 hours for vomitting).

Just ensure you include them in your contract so it is upfront and parents know the expectations.

I operate from 730am to 430pm. My rates are $35-38 a day but your rates will depend on your area. I hate it when I hear of providers working a 10 or 11 hour day. That is just insane. Too long and I think you and your family suffers if you are working that long five days a week.

#437 of 733 Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM

I don't vax my own kids. I offer waivers for non-vaxing parents who need them.

A child has to have been healthy for 24 hours to come here.

I charge $6/hr for kids over two, capped at $50/day. I only take part-time kids.

8am to 8pm, though I don't work all those hours every day. Those are just the hours I make available.

#438 of 733 Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Hi All, I haven't posted in a long while. I am wondering if any one here is home \ unschooling their own children while doing childcare. Originaly I felt like this would fit idealy with unchooling but as ds1 is hitting his 5 year old stride I am not as convinced. Ds1 is the oldest be 2 years and although he is generaly great with the lo's I am starting to see lots of behavioral issues that I am pretty sure are steming from lack of attention and plain old boardom. I am in the midst of changing clientel as much as possible to lean tword the older crowd but obviously during the school year kids his age are not in need of care. We are getting a mini van this month so at least we won't be so home bound! I am hopeful these changes will help but un/homeschooling is NOT optional. Anyone BTDT?
X posted in Homeschool & Unschooling
TIA

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#439 of 733 Old 05-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes, I have done it for the past 3 years - my oldest is 8, we've always unschooled. If I did not have transportation I would shrivel up and die, I'm pretty sure! We make sure to go to tons of stuff - homeschool classes, homeschool story time at the library, unschool park days, etc - that's all stuff my kids' friends will be at. Then we do lots of other stuff with all the daycare kids, parks, hikes, swimming, etc.

We have run into a bit of behaviour problems randomly, and we've thought about having my kids have days they could spend with another friend for the day. Never actually set up anything like that, but it's a possibility. Also, one of the families I do care for (once a week) are unschoolers - their kids are the same ages as mine, so that works well.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#440 of 733 Old 05-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Fairy4tmama,

I am homeschooling my older two while doing childcare. What helps the most here is having a routine that we follow. It helps us with the boredom (though some boredom is good) and the behavior issues that can stem from it.

#441 of 733 Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 AM

How many of you do not vaccinate your children? We select/delay vax. I've never been asked about my own children. I think I'm required to have a copy of their records, but I think it's the parents decision and not mine.

How do you handle sicknesses in your daycare? do you allow the child to come when they are still sick? Children are not allowed here if they are sick. Everything is listed in my policies and are pretty much the same as listed by a pp.

How much do you charged per child? $130/week for full time. Full time is considered 30 hours/wk. For part time it's $3.25/hr for less than 4 hrs or $30/day for more than 4 hrs. If there is more than one child, they get a $25 discount.

This does depend on your area, if you are licensed, and probably on your education.

What hours do you operate? 6 am-5:30 pm. I have one family that is here 6:30-5:30. I changed it to close at 5:30, instead of 6 this year so that we could have more time w/our family. My husband gets home at 3:45, so we start it a little earlier w/children still here.

As for un/homeschooling, we've been doing it all along. I've been doing daycare since our first was 18 months. We are pretty much unschooling. I try to have a daily routine but the kids seem pretty reluctant to it. They like being able to do whatever, whenever. It looks good on paper.

CD(DONA), Wife to Jason, Momma to Xander (7), Hayden (5), & Hanna (4)
#442 of 733 Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 AM

How many of you do not vaccinate your children? We select/delay vax. I've never been asked about my own children. I think I'm required to have a copy of their records, but I think it's the parents decision and not mine.

I do not vax my own kids. Never have. I really don't ask about it for potential families. I guess that deep down I hope they haven't vaxed. I have had parents ask me however if all of the other kids are vaxes. I tell them that I have no idea if the dckids are or are not and I would be breaching confidentiality by telling them so. However, I am honest and tell them my own kids are not vaxed and that isn't going to change so if that is something they are concerned about they should look elsewhere.

How do you handle sicknesses in your daycare? do you allow the child to come when they are still sick? Children are not allowed here if they are sick. Everything is listed in my policies and are pretty much the same as listed by a pp.

I think I am the PP you are mentioning. Basically, I have sick policies and I am very strict with them. I will not hesitate to send a child home or refuse them at the door. I also get paid regardless of whether the child does not come due to illness.

How much do you charged per child? $130/week for full time. Full time is considered 30 hours/wk. For part time it's $3.25/hr for less than 4 hrs or $30/day for more than 4 hrs. If there is more than one child, they get a $25 discount. This does depend on your area, if you are licensed, and probably on your education.

I am not licensed. I receive $35-38 a day per child. I work a 9 hour day. Children pay regardless of attendance.

What hours do you operate? 6 am-5:30 pm. I have one family that is here 6:30-5:30. I changed it to close at 5:30, instead of 6 this year so that we could have more time w/our family. My husband gets home at 3:45, so we start it a little earlier w/children still here.

I open at 730am and close at 430pm. I do not do extended hours care.

As for un/homeschooling, we've been doing it all along. I've been doing daycare since our first was 18 months. We are pretty much unschooling. I try to have a daily routine but the kids seem pretty reluctant to it. They like being able to do whatever, whenever. It looks good on paper

I really, really, really want to HS my own kids. Sadly, I am unable to get hubby on board - and THAT is a whole other story.:

#443 of 733 Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM

Anyone here also HS their own kids while providing daycare?

Just curious how you do it.

I plan to start to HS our kids in the fall.

I am also going PT as of June 25th and will only work M-W.

Just wondering if anyone here has any advice.

#444 of 733 Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Anyone have ideas at to how homeschool my 5 y/o while i watch a 4 month old 3 days a week???
#445 of 733 Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm working M, W & F from 8:30-4:30 - My program is Waldorf inspired.
Our Routine is as follows:

Morning Routine
Morning Blessing
Morning Circle
Daily Activity
Nature Walk
Children’s Meditation
Mealtime
Afternoon Routine
Rest Time
Caregiver Meditation
Outdoor Work & Play
Evening Routine
Bedtime Story and Blessing

Hope that helps!

Little Acorn Learning - Celebrating the Seasons with Children - Monthly Guides for Homeschool and Childcare - Visit Our Website and Our Blog
#446 of 733 Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM

I just found this thread! Hello everyone I'm in california and run a small home daycare, 6 kiddos including my own 4 year old son. Its nice to meet you all

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#447 of 733 Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi, folks,
I am going to start watching two babies in addition to my ds in late Aug/Sept when we move into our new house.

It seems to me like folks charge somewhere in the ballpark of $5 an hour? Does that seem right?

So I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. Babysitters in our area (watching one kid at a time) seem to charge $10-15 an hour, is home childcare cheaper because the kids don't get as much one on one time?

The kids I'd be watching are my friends' kids, so I want to make it afforable for them, but not sell myself short, ykwim?

okay thanks!
#448 of 733 Old 06-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmnlovingit View Post
Anyone have ideas at to how homeschool my 5 y/o while i watch a 4 month old 3 days a week???
You might get a better response in the homeschooling forum here.

Me, I homeschool my two oldest, have a two year old and a ten month old and do childcare. You can definately do it.

#449 of 733 Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

i have a couple of questions about this. . .if anyone can answer.

i am due in August and a good friend of mine is due in december. another friend/client of mine had her baby in April, and is working from home PT for now, and may go back FT sometime in the fall. the Dec baby's mom will likely go back end of jan.

because these two are "friends" and they know me, and they know that i'm going to basically SAH, we've discussed (part serious, part joking) the possibility of having me provide care for their children.

in such a situation, would licensing and all of that be necessary? would i have to go through that before i started?

or is this more of a "baby sitting" side-line?

thanks for any insight!
#450 of 733 Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Just found this and wanting to introduce myself.
I am home with my two age 20 mos and 3 1/2 and currently have 3 DCK's age 8 mos, 1yo, and 2 1/2. I am in Whitby Ontario, Only a couple of hours from you melissabb. None of the kids I watch are from AP families and there really are not alot of Ap families around here that I know of.
Every DCK that I have had just lays down and goes to sleep on thier own with no crying. I am assuming that this is the result of CIO either at home or previous DCP's Anyone else experience this? I get everyone else down for nap and then nurse my DS to sleep

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page