Childcare providers' tribe? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
First ... 7  15  16  17 18  19  ... Last
Work from Home Parents > Childcare providers' tribe?
Sara Ann's Avatar Sara Ann 03:10 PM 08-20-2008
We are required to have 10 hours of training per year.

Beanjeepin's Avatar Beanjeepin 12:05 PM 08-26-2008
Interesting situation - see sig for kids/ages.

My son went to preschool 2 days a week for 2 years. We're choosing to homeschool K this year so he is NOT going to any daytime programs at all this year. We chose to send him to preschool because he's 18 months older than the next oldest child here and was bored with all the babies at home and LOVES the school environment. He's MAD we're not sending him to K (bad district) but he's almost over it....

But now the girl's mom wants me to bring her to preschool 2 days a week this year! We've gone back and forth over it ALL summer long since her preschool was open/closed/open due to enrollment. They determined last night it's open. We do a LOT during the week - storytime, open gym, starting a musical playgroup, and I hope to do field trips. Plus I'm doing a lot of K and preschool centered activities that started about a month ago - it's essentially a preschool environment here now that I "enrich" for DS's K. I probably should mention I'm also a certified teacher - early childhood ed and special ed.

I'm frustrated at having to interrupt all our plans four times a week now (two days, AM and pickup) driving her to and from school. I can't plan ANYTHING else but at-home stuff on those days (if she has an accident at school I have to drop everything and go change her immediately) and that leaves us only 3 days a week to be on the go and doing things. I'm feeling like the other kids will miss out and frankly I'm a little resentful. It was one thing to drive my own child twice a week when the rest were small enough to not really be doing a lot of activities, but someone else's when the rest of the kids are all about the same age and we do a lot more... eh. Not to mention this pushes our lunch to 12:30/12:45 and the one year old won't handle that at all, or makes me have to do two lunch shifts for the kids.

Someone tell me I'm being selfish and to get over it. Do I ask for more money for driving her to and from? Her parents can't do it - they work an hour away.
MPJJJ's Avatar MPJJJ 12:27 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post

My son went to preschool 2 days a week for 2 years. We're choosing to homeschool K this year so he is NOT going to any daytime programs at all this year. We chose to send him to preschool because he's 18 months older than the next oldest child here and was bored with all the babies at home and LOVES the school environment. He's MAD we're not sending him to K (bad district) but he's almost over it....

But now the girl's mom wants me to bring her to preschool 2 days a week this year! We've gone back and forth over it ALL summer long since her preschool was open/closed/open due to enrollment. They determined last night it's open. We do a LOT during the week - storytime, open gym, starting a musical playgroup, and I hope to do field trips. Plus I'm doing a lot of K and preschool centered activities that started about a month ago - it's essentially a preschool environment here now that I "enrich" for DS's K. I probably should mention I'm also a certified teacher - early childhood ed and special ed.

I'm frustrated at having to interrupt all our plans four times a week now (two days, AM and pickup) driving her to and from school. I can't plan ANYTHING else but at-home stuff on those days (if she has an accident at school I have to drop everything and go change her immediately) and that leaves us only 3 days a week to be on the go and doing things. I'm feeling like the other kids will miss out and frankly I'm a little resentful. It was one thing to drive my own child twice a week when the rest were small enough to not really be doing a lot of activities, but someone else's when the rest of the kids are all about the same age and we do a lot more... eh. Not to mention this pushes our lunch to 12:30/12:45 and the one year old won't handle that at all, or makes me have to do two lunch shifts for the kids.

Someone tell me I'm being selfish and to get over it. Do I ask for more money for driving her to and from? Her parents can't do it - they work an hour away.
I personally would tell her that I couldn't watch her child under those circumstances, because it is going to disrupt your own preschool schedule.
Beanjeepin's Avatar Beanjeepin 12:40 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ View Post
I personally would tell her that I couldn't watch her child under those circumstances, because it is going to disrupt your own preschool schedule.
I wish. I forgot to add she's my niece and the baby I watch is my nephew. And her mother is hearing NONE of my arguments.
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 11:58 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Continuing Education?

Hey ladies,

Do any of you do anything in terms on continuing education for childcare? I'm thinking of taking some courses to make myself more marketable. I'd also like to start offering tutoring soon.

I'm taking college courses towards an Early Childhood diploma by correspondence. Hard to get the work in around my 3 kids and running a home daycare, but I think it is good for my kids to see me doing homework and it gives me a fresh perspective on doing childcare, which I need after seven years of it...

There is a huge shortage of childcare in my area -- I actually have govt. subsidies for tuition because they are desparate to get and keep people in this field.

I have a university education in another field, but I don't see myself going back to that.

ETA I also attend monthly agency training sessions, update my first aid every three years, and go to the odd conference, like the homeschooling one last April, that I would say counts as childcare-related.

Now if I only had time for reflection to really properly apply some of the things I've learned about to my business.....
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 12:19 AM 08-28-2008
Quote:
But now the girl's mom wants me to bring her to preschool 2 days a week this year!
We have a similar number of kids. With how much I have going on around here, it wouldn't work with my schedule to be taking any one child to and from somewhere twice a week. And if I lost a client over it, it wouldn't be the end of the world because as much as I love them, there are more people out there who need childcare.
melissabb's Avatar melissabb 12:51 PM 08-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post

I am a firm believer that you have to do what works for YOU. If the schedule is disruptive then they are not a good fit for your daycare and need to move on. YOUR DAYCARE YOUR RULES.

Also, why should it be your responsibility to go to the preschool and change the child if she has an accident? Sorry but she is NOT in your care at that time. The parents can take time out of their work schedule to do that not yours.

I do school runs that are within walking distance of my home for one longtime family. BUT, I make it very clear that I will not revisit the school for anything other than drop off and pick up. If the child forgets something, has an accident, is sick etc it is the parents job to tend to it. I have a job too and I can't dash out all day to accomodate one child.

Your decisions to care or not care for a child in any given situation should not be up for debate. The dcmom has no right to question your decision if she changed the arrangement.
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 10:24 PM 08-28-2008
I wanted to stop in and recommend www.carecourses.com while I was thinking about it. I've done several courses through them and it's very convenient.
AutumnMom07's Avatar AutumnMom07 01:42 AM 08-29-2008
I must finally have enough posts to join this group! Yay! I have been reading this thread for a while as I have been seriously considering opening an in home day care after I get down sized in October. I really am tired of not being with my child and I can not survive without an income...anyways, in my area it is required that I have a license to care for any children not related to me in which I recieve pay. I have no objections to meeting the licensing requirements but I will be renting my home. This is fine with the licensing board but I need a letter of appoval from the home owner. We are looking to move and I am wondering if any land lords would even consider allowing me to operate this kind of business. I can get my own liability insurance and I only want to care for a max of 5 children. Do any of you that are licensed rent your home and did you find it difficult to get appoval of the home owner? Also with the separate insurance is this a significant cost to you? I know this will vary by area (I'm in FL) but I am wondering if this is reasonable like renters insurance of if this is going to cancel out my profit margin. I know I have many questions but those are my main concerns at this point. Thank you for letting me join in!
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 03:33 AM 08-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMom07 View Post
Also with the separate insurance is this a significant cost to you? I know this will vary by area (I'm in FL) but I am wondering if this is reasonable like renters insurance of if this is going to cancel out my profit margin. I know I have many questions but those are my main concerns at this point. Thank you for letting me join in!
Mine's less than $500 a year. I'm licensed for 8 children
holidaymama's Avatar holidaymama 11:20 AM 09-02-2008
Would anyone be willing to share how they started out in daycare? I am a school teacher and had really hoped to start daycare this fall, but it didn't happen...I am hoping maybe next fall...I will have one child at home...age 3, maybe a baby, if we get preg. and a 7 yo at school all day.

I have thought about only doing preschool in the morning, or doing mostly before and after school care, or just a reg. 7-5:30 daycare.

I am most concerned with finding clients. I know my credentials are all there, and my home is clean and homey, but I want to know what you all did to get started.

BTW: we live in a neighborhood off a busy highway. We have about 3100 people in the community as well as an elementary school...if I do this, my hubby(who is also a teacher) would try to work at that school, so that could eventually bring clients.
Justmee's Avatar Justmee 04:16 AM 09-19-2008

Fuamami's Avatar Fuamami 08:48 PM 09-21-2008
Thanks for bumping RachelEve!

I'm hoping to join this tribe now. I really want to quit my p/t WAHM sales job and find some kids to watch. We live in a "rural suburb" so I am a little worried that there isn't the availability that there would be if I lived in town. I've made some fliers and I'm putting them out next week, provided we get our patio finished, so I guess I'll find out if it's going to work then.
Fuamami's Avatar Fuamami 08:52 PM 09-21-2008
Oh, another thing. I just looked up on my county website and it said that it was required that I be licensed if I had 2 or more kids in my care. I was NOT planning on getting licensed. I'll keep reading through the backpages of this thread, but I was wondering if anyone is "illegal", and not licensed even though they technically should be?
Juise's Avatar Juise 06:29 PM 10-02-2008
Hello! I've been meaning to browse around for a thread like this for forever now, finally got around to it!

DP and I run daycare out of our home. We have our own 8 mo. DD, a 15 mo. girl, 2 3 y/o boys, one 4 y/o girl, and one 5 y/o boy during the day, and 6 other older kids before and after school right now, they are all here all summer though.

What finally pushed me over the edge to find this thread was one of the 3 y/o boys. He drives me absolutely up the wall. I am at total wits end with him and I just do not know what to do. Not that I'd wish the struggle upon anyone, but I'm figuring there must be others out there in a similar situation. I need ideas!

Obviously there is a certain amount of struggle for the age range, I am aware of that, and some days are better than others for all of them. This is very different and why I seek advice.

I can. not. stop him for being a total menace. He hits, kicks, bites, throws, tantrums, punches other kids in the face / stomach, etc.. These actions will include the 15 mo. baby, and it scares me. If asked why, it's "Because she had the horse and I wanted the horse." Or whatever. Every day we go over why it is not okay to hit our friends, explain that it hurts them, ask if he would like it if they did it to him. He says no. It doesn't stop him. We have long talks multiple times a day about what we should do instead, about sharing, about loving, about respecting our friends. Talks don't work. Role modeling does not work. Time outs don't work. Naps don't work. Not being able to play with anyone all day after multiple infractions does not work.

Quite frankly, I am so sick of it. It is not fair to the other kids. It is not healthy for him. It has made our happy environment of being home together loving and nurturing our baby and sharing that love with other children Hellish and stressful and traumatic.

He gets yelled at constantly at home, his mother practically doesn't speak to him but in a yell or shriek. He watches power rangers, which, idk, I think is a large part of the issue. Some kids can watch these kinds of things and differentiate between TV and reality, but he totally can't. We've tried to talk to his mother about these things, but it doesn't work. I don't know why when she's so frustrated with a violent child cutting out the violent programming is not an option, but she refuses. I think all the yelling at home is why our talks are so ineffective. As soon as you start trying to talk to him you can see him turn off. He just stares at you with his mouth hanging open and completely blank.

He has been coming here since he was 6 weeks old, but sometimes he comes all day all week and sometimes only a few days a week. We never know, it's totally random and can be very inconvenient. His mum will bring him at 1:00pm some days and be surprised that lunch is over with (We have lunch around 11:30) and ask if we can figure something out. We never know if we should make enough for him or not. Usually she tries to get him here sometime in the morning before lunch though so she doesn't have to feed him. His random show-up times are generally when she sleeps in and he plays on the computer all morning. The less he is here, the worse he gets. Any progress we feel like we make is un-made come Monday. There must be something we can do Cooperation from home is not going to happen, and I feel helpless, but it just cannot continue. If he hits my little sweet, gentle baby I am going to freak out. I hate the fact that she has to endure such tension every day, I know she can hear if in our voices and feel it in the air. Today DP stood him on a chair, facing a wall, in a corner holding a bucket of legos in each hand for time out so he couldn't fidget with anything.

I'm sorry my introduction is so negation, long and rambling, but I am so desperate for a happy outcome here. The days he doesn't show up seem like bliss now. I want to help him. I feel like there has to be a way : Please give me any advice / ideas / experience you can think of. Thank you mamas and I hope to have many less freaking out interactions with you in the future!
Sara Ann's Avatar Sara Ann 10:59 AM 10-03-2008
Well, if this were happening in my daycare I would let him go. Especially since you have tried everything you can think of, talking to the mother, etc. It sounds like things aren't going to change. My job as a licensed child care provider is to protect the children from harm. If I know they may get hurt from another child, then they cannot be in my care.

Also, the inconvenience of having him dropped off whenever would be totally unacceptable, but I don't like inconsistency.

And I just noticed you are in Michigan, so we have the same rules.

I had an investigation when my son was 3.5. When a parent arrived to drop off a child, X jumped off a chair onto a child's stomach (he was lying on the floor in front of the chair). He didn't do it maliciously or on purpose, but he did it. He caused harm to another child and I was cited that I was not protecting the children from harm. (It was pretty harsh, but we lived through it.) The complaint came from the parent that was dropping off her child and she withdrew him from my care because she felt that he was not safe, which I think was pretty strong but it was her first and I might have done the same.

We have had many talks and still have to sometimes that he has to be nice and respectful of other people, including other children.
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 06:33 PM 10-04-2008
Juise,

If he's consistantly hurting the other children and you can't get cooperation from home in regards to using positive discipline and helping him stop, then I'd think it's time to let him go.

What have you tried doing with the parents?
MeredithMommy's Avatar MeredithMommy 05:26 PM 10-08-2008
I hope to be joining the child care provider ranks soon!!! I hope to be able to get my liscence by spring. (I have to fence in our paly area first, and fencng is expensive!!!) I am trying to find a child or 2 to watch in the meantime. But I havent had any luck just yet.
Juise's Avatar Juise 02:34 PM 10-11-2008
I am not entirely sure why, but we do plan on keeping him. He's been comming here his entire life, and I hate to think about what kind of treatment he might encounter elsewhere. I kind of feel like this is the only positive influence in his life, and I would rather help him than send him off. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I think we will be talking to his mum about the inconsistency, though. It really is very irritating :

Is anyone doing something special for the kids for Halloween? Ours have off school for Halloween, so we'll have the full ship of 12 all day, and I'd like to do something fun for them. Any thoughts?
Juise's Avatar Juise 02:37 PM 10-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Juise,

If he's consistantly hurting the other children and you can't get cooperation from home in regards to using positive discipline and helping him stop, then I'd think it's time to let him go.

What have you tried doing with the parents?
Woops, forgot to answer the question. Oh we've tried talking to his mum about what he's allowed to watch / activity he's allowed at home, and about how that really needs to change in order to help change his attitude. She insists that he knows what he sees on TV is not real, which he doesn't, and that She can't stop the violent activity because his father thinks it's fun and okay to play fights. I would think that was maybe okay, too, if he didn't have a problem knowing the difference, but his dad will let him hit him as hard as he can and laugh, and he really doesn't know the difference. We've also tried to talk to her about the way she speaks to him, but the best we've gotten is not allowing her to do so in our home
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 03:17 PM 10-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
Is anyone doing something special for the kids for Halloween? Ours have off school for Halloween, so we'll have the full ship of 12 all day, and I'd like to do something fun for them. Any thoughts?
I don't have older children anymore on out-of-school days, except my dd, and even including her there are no more than 6 children, so I don't know if our activities would be fun for your group.

Thinking about this now....we've had a strongly Christian family that prefers not to celebrate Halloween for a couple of years now, so we've been doing gentle dress-up activiites, avoiding spookiness, and not mentioning the H-word. It actually wasn't so bad, I didn't miss the overexcited children.

But those children have now outgrown me and my own little ones are older so I want to do something more Halloweeny.

In the past, we've `trick-or-treated' in midmorning to a few homes on my block (prearranged with the neighbors and cleared with the daycare parents. )

We've gotten together with another home daycare for a party.

We've made and played with green gak or orange and black playdough.

I usually have several pumpkins and the children help me by scooping the seeds out and drawing faces for carving.

I don't serve sugary stuff at all, but give regular foods fun names -- like mac and cheese casserole in a crockpot set inside a pumpkin becomes "Goblin Goulash"

We listened to spooky/fun music and danced in our darkened playroom with flashlights and glow necklaces from the dollar store.

We did a spider theme one year.

Sometimes I have children come in costumes, sometimes we just use our own dressup clothes. One year a little one had an accident in his costume and I had just enough time to wash it before mom came to pick him up for a Halloween party they were going to. Since then, I've been wary of anything happening to the child's costume on this significant day. And we live in a cold climate so many costumes are like snowsuits , not good for wearing all day indoors.
Juise's Avatar Juise 07:30 PM 10-12-2008
Those are some great ideas! I especially like the "goblin goulash"

I'm going to see about a party with another at-home daycare, *and* on those glow necklaces and flashlights, they love playing with flashlights! I'm definitely going to see if any of them want to wear their costumes, and I really like the theme idea, too!
Sara Ann's Avatar Sara Ann 12:00 PM 10-13-2008
We usually have a party w/parents at pick up time, until they can go trick or treating. This year, I'm sure we are going to not do it, due to low funds.

I print out coloring pages online, like Sesame Street, pumpkins, ghosts, etc. They love coloring. I also usually make some homemade muffins or cookies with the kids, too. They love to help me bake.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 11:09 PM 10-13-2008
I have been doing home daycare for a little boy for just over a year and realized that I really need to have a contract with his mama. She often takes a week off every month or two and I generally do not get paid for those weeks. I charge $5 an hour while I have him, and he is usually here for 8-10 hours a day five days a week. When I don't have him for a week, my budgeting takes a pretty big hit. I spoke with her today, and she agreed that it was a fair thing to ask for.

Here is what I am thinking:

Parents can take up to two weeks off per year either as individual days or as whole weeks without paying. If they go over the two weeks, days or weeks off will be charged at $5 and hour for the length of an average day for the child (9ish hours).

Parents will not have to pay when I take a sick day, or when my child is sick. If my child becomes sick, or I become sick while their child is here, parents will need to come pick up their child and will charged for only the hours that their child was here.

Parents will pay when their child is not here due to illness. If their child becomes sick while here, parents will come to pick up the child, and will still be charged for the entire day.

I can take one week paid and one week unpaid off per year with advance notice of at least two weeks.

Hours will be logged for the child from the time the child enters the house at drop off until the parent enters the house for pick up. (I have had issues with trying to figure out how to start the clock and how to end it with long drop offs and even longer pick ups.)

What do you all think of the above agreement? The mama I spoke with today really wanted to work with me on this and asked me to write up a proposal.

What else do I need to have in a contract with a childcare parent? I feel so out of my element here. It has been so casual up until this point, so I am really not sure how to word it all. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I am thinking of starting with a clean slate for this mama. I think I am going to follow the school year with her child, as that is what most daycares follow for a calendar, so she would get two more weeks off without having to pay me starting now, but she wouldn't get any more time off for free until next September. *hopefully she doesn't use it right away....* I am going to email her the agreement and she is going to talk it over with her husband and then come back to me with whatever issues she might have with it.

TIA!
Sara Ann's Avatar Sara Ann 10:16 AM 10-14-2008
You are more giving than I.

I can send you my contract and policies if you'd like. Mine have been revised every year due to things coming up. I just updated them recently because of some issues with having someone not paying the difference of what the state paid me.

I am also going to add maternity leave in there. I don't think it's fair that a mom can just take 10 weeks (dragging it out by having mom come watch baby from out of state, and taking her daughter out completely so she didn't have to pay). It was really hard for us financially. I wouldn't expect full pay, but 1/3-1/2 would be nice to hold her spot. I didn't charge her, mostly because she is my friend.
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 11:36 AM 10-14-2008
Here is a sample contract that might help:

http://www.childcarelink.com/Daycare...0samples2.html

I use a template provided by my agency, but I think everyone has to figure out a lot of their own modifications.

A contract should provide for a notice period for termination (I use one month, fair both ways). It should provide for hours of care, days when you will be closed, statutory holiday pay, late payments, late pickup fees, and sick pay for the provider. I've started giving myself 2 sick days a year, and may increase it. All my families have paid sick leave at their jobs. I would charge a holding fee of $200/mo, at least, for a mat leave.

Something else I do is make the contracts for a period of one year, rather than for the indefinite future. I do the new contract a month before the old one expires. You can add anything to the contract that is important to you in the way of policies for your child care, like "Parents must supply one change of weather apropriate clothing to be kept at the daycare." if you are having trouble getting them to remember that. It gives me a chance to make changes in the contract, raise fees, etc. And if the parent chooses not to renew, I have a month to fill the space.

Hope that helps!
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 01:13 PM 10-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Ann View Post
You are more giving than I.

I can send you my contract and policies if you'd like. Mine have been revised every year due to things coming up. I just updated them recently because of some issues with having someone not paying the difference of what the state paid me.

I am also going to add maternity leave in there. I don't think it's fair that a mom can just take 10 weeks (dragging it out by having mom come watch baby from out of state, and taking her daughter out completely so she didn't have to pay). It was really hard for us financially. I wouldn't expect full pay, but 1/3-1/2 would be nice to hold her spot. I didn't charge her, mostly because she is my friend.
I would love to see as many contracts as possible before drafting one for my families. I am not a licensed provider, and I am not planning on becoming licensed. I was looking into it, but I only provide for two families, and it is working for us for right now, so I am not going to go through the process unless I need to.

I did read more contracts online and revised what I have so far. Here it is:

Vacation policy:
1 week paid and 1 week unpaid for me. If I need any additional time off, I will take it unpaid and I will give all families at least two weeks notice before taking any time off.

1 week paid and 1 week unpaid for all children in my care. If the families need to be gone for any longer, they will pay for the time their child is not here. The vacation time can be taken a week at a time, or split up into individual days.

Paid holidays:
I will be closed but require payment for the following days: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, New Years Eve.

Unpaid holidays:
I will be closed on March 28 but will not require payment for that day. (Our birthdays!)

Rates: $5 an hour. Childcare hours are not scheduled, but I will charge from the time the child enters the house at drop off until the parent enters the house at pick up. There are no fees for early drop offs or late pick ups, but the $5/hour will still be in effect.

Days off rates:
If a child is not here, I will require payment unless I am closed due to my child's illness or my illness. The rate charged will be equal to the average time spent in care for that day of the week for the previous two weeks for that child. For example, I have a boy in care who does half days on Tuesdays. I would charge his mama for a half day of care if he were sick on a Tuesday.

Sick policy:
If a child is home sick, I will still charge for that day. If a child goes home early due to illness, I will charge for a full day. I will receive 2 paid sick days per year. If I am sick or my child is sick beyond the two days, I will not charge for those days.

If a child is vomiting or has diarrhea, he may not attend care until he has been free from vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours. If my child is vomiting or has diarrhea, I will close for 24 hours after it has stopped. If a child develops vomiting or diarrhea while in my care, he must be picked up as soon as the parent can come.

Snow days:
I have the right to close due to bad weather. Parents will be charged half rates using the formula listed above under Days off. I will call as early as I can to inform parents of snow days.

What do you all think about this?
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 06:24 PM 10-14-2008
Looks good! Have you asked for the parent's imput? Are there any areas she would like to see more formally covered by a contract?

I think the two issues that I've heard most often as communication problems between parents and care providers are 1) who pays for vacation days and 2) late pickups/overtime. It looks like you are pretty clear on your vacation policy, but I'd maybe put something in about overtime rates in case of late pickups either with this family or others.

My daughter's daycare gave 5 min grace and then charged a dollar a minute, so that's what I do . I don't charge if someone has car trouble, but a habitual late pickup that makes it impossible to get my oldest daughter to her Tae Kwon Do class or music lessons -- in that case I'd verbally remind parents of he policy and then charge the late fee.

May I ask why you need to have a Snow Day closure policy, Pumpkin Pie? Do you regularly go out with the children? Here, I just sit inside and shiver at the sight of snow piling up, but if the parents can make it here to drop off and pick up, I do stay open.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 06:54 PM 10-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Looks good! Have you asked for the parent's imput? Are there any areas she would like to see more formally covered by a contract?

I think the two issues that I've heard most often as communication problems between parents and care providers are 1) who pays for vacation days and 2) late pickups/overtime. It looks like you are pretty clear on your vacation policy, but I'd maybe put something in about overtime rates in case of late pickups either with this family or others.

My daughter's daycare gave 5 min grace and then charged a dollar a minute, so that's what I do . I don't charge if someone has car trouble, but a habitual late pickup that makes it impossible to get my oldest daughter to her Tae Kwon Do class or music lessons -- in that case I'd verbally remind parents of he policy and then charge the late fee.

May I ask why you need to have a Snow Day closure policy, Pumpkin Pie? Do you regularly go out with the children? Here, I just sit inside and shiver at the sight of snow piling up, but if the parents can make it here to drop off and pick up, I do stay open.
I don't think I will put a late pick up policy in there unless I have a problem. It really has only been a problem once in the 13 months that I have been doing this. I like the idea of revising it if I need to, and I really don't want to make my one mama feel uncomfortable. Her work schedule can be pretty erratic, and I totally don't mind having her son into the evening hours, and I feel that if I had a policy for late pick ups, it might make her feel like she had to rush to get here, when really I don't mind.

I wasn't sure if I needed a snow day policy, but I did have a few days last year when my daycare boy didn't come because of weather. Maybe I will just put it in the sick policy that if he isn't here for any reason including sickness that they pay for the day.

I haven't given a copy to the parents yet, as I wanted some input before I write it up and email it to them. I want to have an email conversation so they can see what each other is suggesting for revisions. Then once it is all hashed out, I will print out copies and have everyone sign them and give copies to the parents and keep copies for myself.

Thanks so very much for all of the suggestions! I am going to write it up and send it out to them tonight. I will let you know how it goes!
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 02:10 AM 10-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

I haven't given a copy to the parents yet, as I wanted some input before I write it up and email it to them. I want to have an email conversation so they can see what each other is suggesting for revisions. Then once it is all hashed out, I will print out copies and have everyone sign them and give copies to the parents and keep copies for myself.
I think it is great that you are doing this so collaboratively! Let us know how the process works out. And your clients are lucky to have a caregiver who is comfortable with flexible hours -- that can be hard for parents to find.

Best of luck!
First ... 7  15  16  17 18  19  ... Last

Up