Forum Jump: 

#121 of 733 Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
I was refering to the FEDERAL food program. The regs are the same in every state for the federal food program, though some sponsors interpret them incorrectly. We all have to follow the same meal patterns.
Wow. That's awful. Here we are required to meet all special dietary needs, including vegan in daycare centres and I would assume in home childcare situations as well. It's not laid out in any of our regs (I don't think) but to not do so would be considered discriminatory and you could be in serious trouble for that. I cannot think of a single daycare centre or homecare provider who would even consider not complying with a family's wishes for their child's diet.
Another reason why I love living in Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 733 Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the WAHM Well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#123 of 733 Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Thank You Annette Marie

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

#124 of 733 Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I was refering to the FEDERAL food program. The regs are the same in every state for the federal food program, though some sponsors interpret them incorrectly. We all have to follow the same meal patterns.

Breakfast:
Milk (all meals must have milk unless a child has a doctor's note)
fruit, vegetable, or 100% juice
Grain

Lunch or Dinner:
Milk
Meat or Alternate
veggie or fruit #1
veggie or fruit #2
grain

Snack:
any 2 of the following
Milk
meat or alternate
veggie or fruit or 100% Juice
Grain

The list of approved meat alternates is very short and about half of those items are dairy products

Milk can only be substituted with a doctor's note (what if it's against your religion or personal beliefs to consume animal products?)

So please, show me a vegan menu that's federally approved for a kid that does NOT have a medical reason for not consuming dairy.

Nuts and nut butters can only be used as a meat alternate for snacks, they don't count by themselves for lunch or dinner.

We are supposed to serve a variety of foods, so we can't use legumes at the protien for every meal.
And I am ALSO referring to the FEDERAL meal program. We DO use alternative milk and we serve a huge variety of healthy foods, including whole foods. Why you cannot do this and be on the FEDERAL food program I do not know.
#125 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm here: 13 years licensed family (in-home) childcare in WI. Currently I have my own DSs: 3 mos & 2 yrs, plus a 2 yr girl and three 4 yr girls.

Interesting to read all the posts... :
#126 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
As for supplies, we pay an annual materials fee at my son's preschool but at an in-home provider I would kind of expect them to just build that cost into their weekly fees. HTH!
May I ask why you'd expect a family childcare to build those costs in, but not a center? (Just curious...) Most of the time centers are already charging more/week than family CC so it makes more sense to me for a center to build those costs in.
#127 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
And I am ALSO referring to the FEDERAL meal program. We DO use alternative milk and we serve a huge variety of healthy foods, including whole foods. Why you cannot do this and be on the FEDERAL food program I do not know.
I serve whole foods too. But the only milk the program allows are animal milks (lactaid/lactose free milk is still cow's milk) otherwise a doctor's note is needed. It's really challenging if a child is vegan. There are only so many ways to serve beans....and nuts/nut butters don't count as a full protien replacement for a meal, only for snack. The only other meat alternates available are all dairy. So for a vegan kid I usually end up explaining the situation to the parents and showing the the short list of meals I could come up with and letting them know that they can either get a doctor's note approving other meat alternates and milks, or they can pack their own lunch...I'd still provide snacks and breakfast since meats/alternates aren't required for those meals...but I'd still need a note for a non-animal product drink. The milk note is pretty easy to get though.

Also, I used to serve mainly vegetarian meals but I stopped because I felt that eating meat was healthier than eating such large amounts of dairy.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/Resources...&id=4592d42917

"Alternate Protein Product – The name used by FNS to identify products meeting the
requirements set forth in Appendix A of 7 CFR Parts 210 and 220 within the section entitled
Alternate Protein Products. Some examples of APPs are soy flours, soy concentrates, soy
isolates, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and casein."

I can't find the other selection I need...but I remember it saying that the above sources can only account for up to 30% of a protein serving....and soy isn't that great for you either and the whey protein and casein are milk products.

Do you have a sample of a vegan menu from your center? Or even a vegetarian menu that doesn't rely so heavily on dairy products as meat alternates?? I would LOVE some ideas. It's really hard here to get much help with this because my food program sponsor is full of VERY mainstream people these days. They're nice, but clueless, : So please, if ANYONE that knows how to deal with the USDA food program has some veg. menu ideas I would LOVE it if you'd share. 5 years ago I had 3 vegan kids and 4 vegetarian kids. 3 of the 4 veg kids had doctors for parents (A parent told everyone at her Seventh Day Adventist Church how much she liked me and her church is full of doctors that work at the local SDA hospital) and they didn't even want to fill out the paperwork with acceptable alternates for their kids....so they filled out the paper opting out of the food program alltogether and just paid me a little bit more to buy food for their kids. The vegan kids also opted out....so I enenrolled from the food program because only one of my families even chose to participate. Then I moved to another town and have only had one vegan family and 2 kosher families. My kitchen isn't kosher so they pack lunches for their kids and look the other way for snack (I don't feed them forbidden items or mix food that shouldn't but I also don't have special dishes or a separate fridge). I do, however try to be as respectfull as possible. Since they are looking the otherway for snack I try my hardest to keep things as separate as I can...I kept a rubbermaid tub with a lid for non-dairy snack items and a separate one for dairy snack items (yogurt,string cheese etc.). When I had these two families my fridge looked like an ultra organized craft closet

Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to write a book, lol. I'm just truly stumped.

Potty Diva, is it possible that some of the kids with special diets have doctor's notes in the food program file you don't know about? Or maybe their parents opted out of the food program? I'm not sure what your personal reponsibilities are so I don't know if that's info you'd have. I know at the centers I've been involved with teacher's have had a list of allergies and dietary requirements in their folder for a child, but not necessarily the child's food program paperwork. That's usually kept all together in one folder so that the inspector only has to look through one file. Most of the food program requirements and worries are usually handled by the cook or nutritionist or director of the program.

How do you feel about HAVING to feed solids to a child over 7 months old? It really bothers me when it's a breastfed baby. Especially since they require Iron fortified infant cereal. I've only ever had one mom not like it, and she just filled out the doctor paperwork herself (she was an NP). Her duaghter ended up starting solids at around 10 months when mom couldn't keep up with the pumping supply for daycare anymore. And mom filled out a doctor's note stating her child was to have real oatmeal or rice instead of baby cereal . I miss her too, lol. Only natural crunchy np I ever met.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#128 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysuen View Post
May I ask why you'd expect a family childcare to build those costs in, but not a center? (Just curious...) Most of the time centers are already charging more/week than family CC so it makes more sense to me for a center to build those costs in.

I charge a yearly supply fee to preschool aged children. It pays for the curriculum I subscribe to. As far as other supplies go, I agree with Wednesday. Arts and craft supplies and business expenses and I make sure to charge enough to afford those supplies. Then I deduct them on my Schedule C at tax time. I do it this way though because I accept children that get childcare subsidies, and their parents would have a hard time coming up with supply fees. I do keep a list of needs and wants though. If parents are at the store and see an item I need on sale they are more than happy to buy a couple and donate it to my daycare. Most of my wants and needs list is filled with recycled craft items though, like egg cartons, papertowel tubes, milk lids etc.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#129 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Canada huh? Very interesting. I am always interested to hear how other countries handle care and education.

If anything I think my state is moving away from child centered teaching and have been for many, many years. I just attended a meeting about this subject, today.
Just wanted to touch on this subject for a moment. Yes, I am the mama who previously posted about licensed centres or homes not necessarily being better than unlicensed home daycares. I think there should be choice in daycare. To further explain what I am talking about let me tell you what they are trying to get passed in Canada right now.

The government has just passed the first reading of a bill. This is a daycare bill. Basically, the government wants a federally funded daycare plan that is intentioned ideally for not-for-profit daycare centres. Basically, there will be a guaranteed spot and federal funding for EVERY child. This means that the government will move to only approve new daycares on the premise they are not-for-profit. They will also only provide funding for those children who are in centre care under their new guidelines. Their new guidelines will also mena that there will be more formal education in centres for toddlers to pre-schoolers.

Here is my problem with daycare when there is too much government involvement.

1.First, selfishly, where does that leave me? SOmeone who wants to earn a living while staying home with their own kids?

2. Home providers would not be able to accept the susidy from the government to care for other children.

3. The lack of availability for subsidy in home daycare means that most, no let's say nearly EVERY, parent will be forced to use commercial daycare as financially this will be the only option.

4. Not all children are geared for centre based care. Not all kids are the same. My DS could NEVER have been in centre based care. He just couldn't have handled the large environment. My DD on the other hand would have loved it. Where does this leave kids who just aren't emotionally set for centre based care?

5. Why do we think as a society that it is sooooo important to push formal learning down the throats of 2 yr olds?? When do kids just get to be kids? Is it really that imperative that a child be able to read at 4 yrs old? Why do we feel that we must always have the academic leg up? There are plenty of years for 'formal' education later in the school system. Besides, who says kids don't learn things that are important through play and interaction? A trip to the grocery store can be very educational to use just one example.

6. This daycare system will guarantee a spot for every child. So, in essence our daycare system will be very costly. There will inevitably be kids in daycare who don't need to be there. According to their plan, I can be a SAHM and just want to hang out with my friends or shop or go to the gym and I can do so without my kids because I can just drop them into 'free' daycare. Why not, there is a spot for them!! :

7. It raises the bar in an already over materialistic society. Let's face it. Most of us live far beyond our means. There is a big difference between putting your kids in daycare so you can work to eat or pay the mortgage. But, how many kids will be put in daycare just to go to work to have the bigger house, the gas guzzling SUV, the far away vacations? Yes, as you can tell, I am not a big fan of daycare just so you can live like the Jones' at the expense of your children. Yes, go ahead and flame me! :

So, there you have it. My arguement against fully licensed - government mandated daycare. Yes, I do think there should be licensed facilities. But I also think there should be options. Not every situation is best for everyone. And, seeing as how this is really about the kids at the very core, aren't they the people we should be providing options for? Not all kids are the same. My own two kids are so different. I would hate to think that anyone, the government especially, should be able to group them together and decide what is best for them. I am their mother - that should be MY decision.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#130 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

Melissabb, I do not necessarily believe that the new daycare bill will eradicate home childcare. Many many parents choose home care providers because that is what they want for their child. Not all centres are geared towards formally educating the very young, many centres are moving towards a more child-led curriculum.
What we as Early Childhood community are trying to push for is choice for the parents. A sad reality is that many parents have to work in order to provide the basics for their kids. Another reality is that many parents find a fullfilment in their careers that they do not get at home, and while that may not be what we believe we cannot judge them for doing it...I can think of several moms I know who are just not cut out to be SAHM and serve their families better by working and being happy than home and resentful of it. As much as I love being home with my children, I am eager to finish my schooling so I can get back to the early childhood classroom which I love. In my ideal I will have a pre-school centre out of my home based on Reggio Emilia approach as well as a mish-mash of other philosophies that I love, and my young children will be with me in my classroom.
There is also a movement, at least in my province (and since NS tends to be a bit behind our larger counterparts I am sure it's elsewhere as well) to have home based childcare licensed, which would give parents assurance that their children are in the care of people who are trained, checked out and have resources available to them. Subsidy will be available to home based childcare as well.
As for the Non-profit vs Private run centres...Canada does not want "big box" daycare. And the concern about giving a lot of the benefits of a federal program to private centres, such as grants, is that it will open doors that we would rather stay bolted shut. This is not to say that privately owned centres are going to be run out, that goes against the mandate for choice. It's a tough situation.
I have a bunch of websites of various organization in Canada that are advocating for quality in childcare, and once I have my munchkins settled for lunch I'll post them. Because while I understand your concerns Melissabb, I think you will see that the voices speaking for childcare acknowledge them and are fighting for those rights too.
#131 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I'm here: 13 years licensed family (in-home) childcare in WI. Currently I have my own DSs: 3 mos & 2 yrs, plus a 2 yr girl and three 4 yr girls.

Interesting to read all the posts... :
I am in Wisconsin, too

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#132 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Well, it's the countdown--my niece is going to start coming here next Tuesday! She is 3 months old. I am excited but nervous at the same time--I have an 18 month old and a 14 month old (my ds) currently. I think the baby will be fun because it will add something new to our day, we are feeling kind of stir-crazy and the toddlers are so independent now that I have plenty of time for a new one. It's funny, for months I longed for a time when ds could play by himself or sit up by himself for just a second to give me a break. Now that he is walking all over the place, and doing his own thing, I am BORED!

Anyway, I am nervous about naptime. My 14 month old still needs to be rocked to sleep and I am anxious about what I will do with the baby while I am rocking ds. I can put her on the floor with some toys, or in the rocking bouncy seat but what if she isn't interested? Then what will I do? I hope it all works out!! :

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#133 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 PM

Wow! How long has this thread been here?? I can't read through it all at the moment, but wanted to chime in with my presence

I'm an unschooling mama of 2. We do childcare in my home 4 days a week. I'm not liscenced, and do it under the table, so my costs can be lower. We fortunatly live in a VERY crunchy town, so all the kids that come to me are really cool I have 3 different families that come regularly (4 kids total, but spread out so only 2 extras a day per state law, and per my sanity!).

I also do on-call childcare, so we often have tag-along kiddos about once a week.

I have parents provide everything - I don't have the money or TIME to go shopping for diapers and stuff. Although, i do provide all the food, I have had to make clear that I don't provide baby food, but the only babies I have are drop-ins. The kids I watch are 13m, 2y, 3y, and 6y.

I've been doing at-home daycare since my oldest was 6m. I've found, over time, that the only way I can do it, is to restrict my services to part-time only. Which, there is actually a HUGE market for, since alot of SAHM's just need a day off, or mamas with weird work schedules, etc. and they can't afford to pay a center for a whole week, while only using them for a few days, KWIM?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#134 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 PM

:

Just wanted to sub, I'm prob. going to start doing home based daycare next year

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#135 of 733 Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Yeah, I didn't see this thread for a while, too.

I am a home childcare worker here in Australia. In my city, childcare providers can be employees of the local council. So I am one. It's a pretty cool program, if you ask me, but there are TONS of regulations. I often thought about becoming a home childcare provider when I lived in the US, but I never really did it, because I found it difficult to find clients and wasn't sure I wanted to go through the licensing procedure.

I am limited to caring for 4 preschool children (no more than two of them under two) and 3 school-age children. My own children count in the ratios, so I usually have three children at one time plus my 17 mo dd (my 4.5 yo goes to a preschool and is out most of the day). I've not had anyone want care for school-age children, but I would if it came up. We have home visits every two weeks or so. I don't have to collect money from the parents and have a limited amount of paperwork to do, since the council takes care of that for me. It's nice to be able to keep the relationship with the parents mostly limited to discussion about the child rather than about money all the time. The council provides me with equipment (double stroller, nap mats, kids' table, etc.) and toys that can be switched out from the toy library. I get 4 weeks vacation and 15 personal/sick days paid per year, as well as 13 weeks paid/1 year unpaid maternity leave.

Right now I have a 31 mo boy, two 2 yo girls, a 9 mo boy, and a 7 mo girl (not all at once).

I don't have a strict "curriculum", but we encourage learning through program planning. I set up play experiences to fall into the different developmental areas (gross and fine motor, social, emotional, cognitive, etc.). I base my program on the children's interests and use the Jewish year/Jewish home as my thematic base. For example, the holiday Purim is coming up. It is customary to hear the story of Purim, dress up, give money to the poor, and give gifts of food to friends. So we will probably have a dress up area based on the Purim story (the book of Esther), maybe an area with baskets and other containers ready to be filled with play food, decorate masks, learn about giving tzedaka (roughly translated: charity), singing songs and reading stories about the holiday.
#136 of 733 Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 AM

I'm a 30yo, slightly crunchy, AP mom of 2 boys, 3.5 and 8. I care for a 21mo girl 4 days a week and a 14mo girl 2 days a week. 21mo has a baby sister coming in the spring. I LOOOOOOOVE these girls, and being at home. Used to have 2 more kids, but I found that there truly are kids who are just not suited to being in my home full-time. It was hard, but I told their mom to find a new sitter and now life is good. Glad I found someone to talk to, as all my friends/relatives are WOHMs.

Kelly
#137 of 733 Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Used to have 2 more kids, but I found that there truly are kids who are just not suited to being in my home full-time. It was hard, but I told their mom to find a new sitter and now life is good. Glad I found someone to talk to, as all my friends/relatives are WOHMs.

Kelly
Kelly, kudos to you for recognizing that those children were not suited to your environment and letting their parents know so they could find a better one. I remember when I worked in the classroom, sometimes there were kids I meshed with really well, and with some others there were major personality clashes. Typically though there was another teacher on our team who worked really well with that munchkin, and there certainly were kiddies who did not mesh with other staff that I got along with great.
Also, there are kids who do fantastic in daycare centres and kids who benefit greatly from various curriculums, and there are kids who are just not "daycare" kids and thrive better in smaller home care situations. That's why choice is so important in this field.
#138 of 733 Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
No, YOUR nutrition guidelines suck. We have children who are lactose intolerant, they get lactaid or another brnad(can't think of it). We have a vegetarian child, he will NOT eat any meats or meat products. We get fresh veggies, fruits, etc on the food program.

The things tou mentioned are again based on CENTER preferences and not STATE or FEDERAL guidelines
I'm also in NC and I've had a different experience--I haven't looked up the laws myself, but have been told by numerous childcare providers that they are legally obligated to serve my child either cow's milk or soy milk, unless I have a doctor's note stating my child has an allergy to BOTH of those. Well--my child does not tolerate cow's milk, and since he was breastfed until almost 3 I felt there was no need for him to drink a "substitute" milk either, and I don't feel that soy milk is a particularly healthy beverage. I did not want it being served to him every day. We have been fortunate that at the center he has attended for the last 1.5 years, the director has agreed to look the other way on this particular issue, because she respects my right as a parent to make this decision about what my child will consume.

So either NC's state laws really do dictate that children MUST be served some kind of "milk" -- or the vast majority of childcare providers are misinformed. I'm not sure which it is.
#139 of 733 Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
At my son's preschool the materials fee is a big chunk of money (a full month's tuition) that you have to pay in advance of enrolling your kid, in addition to also paying the first month's tuition in advance. Since most home care providers only charge by the week, which is a lot easier for people living paycheck to paycheck to cover, I would think asking for a full month's fees in advance to go to "materials" would be a real barrier to people starting their kids with that provider. I was thinking from the POV of a provider, that you would just need to build those fees in rather than ask for such a large amount of money up front.
#140 of 733 Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
At my son's preschool the materials fee is a big chunk of money (a full month's tuition) that you have to pay in advance of enrolling your kid, in addition to also paying the first month's tuition in advance. Since most home care providers only charge by the week, which is a lot easier for people living paycheck to paycheck to cover, I would think asking for a full month's fees in advance to go to "materials" would be a real barrier to people starting their kids with that provider. I was thinking from the POV of a provider, that you would just need to build those fees in rather than ask for such a large amount of money up front.
Wow, that is a big chunk of change! I do build in all expenses, except for the occasional field trip. IMO, centers should also because, like I said, they're usually charging higher fees too.
#141 of 733 Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 AM

Just as Wednesday said, when we enrolled our son in Pre-K we paid a semester fee of $200.00 for supplies (and we also brought things like wet wipes, Kleenex, ziplocs, etc... through the semester). That was in addition to the $375.00 monthly fee.

And that IS a big fee for the start-up b/c it basically cost us $600.00 just to enroll him.

I would build it into the fees if I was a home care provider.

I watched children for one year and gave discounts once they were fully potty-trained (which I defined as 4 weeks with 1 accident or less/week). It wasn't really a 'discount', but rather I would have them pay additional for diapers (b/c I always kept many on hand) and when their child wasn't needing diapers, I didn't need to extract that fee any longer.
#142 of 733 Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 PM

lets talk about taxes

I made $500 this year from my father (I know its not much.. but its my dad)... I kept receipts for every week...

we were going to file with turbotax again this year because we did it last year and loved it..... BUT

how do I do that if Im not getting a w-2?:

I'm really hoping someone knows

#143 of 733 Old 01-23-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1895 View Post
lets talk about taxes

I made $500 this year from my father (I know its not much.. but its my dad)... I kept receipts for every week...

we were going to file with turbotax again this year because we did it last year and loved it..... BUT

how do I do that if Im not getting a w-2?:

I'm really hoping someone knows

use schedule C, it's on the forms drop down menu.

#144 of 733 Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
use schedule C, it's on the forms drop down menu.

thank you

#145 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 PM

I was wondering how other people deal with holidays. Up till now I have never charged for holidays (I charge by the hour, so I get paid only for the time the babies are actually here.) I never take time off for my vacation, so I am not talking about the parents paying for my time off. I am talking about those days that I am available to work, but the parents are off. We are Jewish and observant, so the holidays really add up, both Jewish and secular (like I said, I can work on secular holidays, but parents who work for large companies do get those days off, even if they don't celebraste them).

Should I charge maybe 50% for those days that I am available to work? I need to get compensated in some way. What do you folks do?
#146 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a big chunk of change! I do build in all expenses, except for the occasional field trip. IMO, centers should also because, like I said, they're usually charging higher fees too.
It's Montessori, so the materials are legitimately pretty expensive. It's not just construction paper and glue and crayons, but a lot of all-wood manipulatives and specially designed "works" for the kids to engage in. I don't mind paying it, we feel like we get a good value for his care. What I DON'T like about charging it up front, though, is that the materials fee is not technically a childcare expense and so it is not tax-deductible. The IRS regs are actually pretty clear on this point--you can only deduct what you are charged specifically for the child's care, not registration fees, materials fees, etc. But I'm REQUIRED to pay this fee in order to get the care, so from a personal finances point of view it kind of stinks for a care provider to separate some costs out.
#147 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM

subbing in!! I was a part of the FYT childcare forum and just NOW found it over here. I will go back and read whats been going on, but for now I'd like to know...

Has anyone had the chicken pox in their daycare before? I had a girl get Dx yesterday and my ds is now running a fever of 102. I am sure he is getting it.

And on another note: I had my taxes filed a few days ago. I went to H&R Block. it cost 400 to have them file, but I think its worth it. I know some people find a chidcare expert to file their taxes, do you?
#148 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaelita View Post
I was wondering how other people deal with holidays. Up till now I have never charged for holidays (I charge by the hour, so I get paid only for the time the babies are actually here.) I never take time off for my vacation, so I am not talking about the parents paying for my time off. I am talking about those days that I am available to work, but the parents are off. We are Jewish and observant, so the holidays really add up, both Jewish and secular (like I said, I can work on secular holidays, but parents who work for large companies do get those days off, even if they don't celebraste them).

Should I charge maybe 50% for those days that I am available to work? I need to get compensated in some way. What do you folks do?
I charge for all stat holidays and I am not open for them either. I started to get annoyed at parents who would bring their kids even when they were off. I also figured that in commercial daycare centres the parents also pay for stat holidays so why should it be different here?

I do not make parents pay for MY vacation time but they do pay for THIERS. My opinion is that parents are paying for a spot in a daycare and not the actual hours they use it. I can not fill an opening for the days they take off.

I just changed my policy in 2007 and not one parent had a problem with it.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#149 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 04:44 PM

http://nelsonandriley.homestead.com/index.html

this woman will review your taxes for free and find you lots of money the Block missed. HRBlock is good for regular people but they are terrible at daycare taxes. There are special rules for daycares that don't apply to ANY other business. We're the only ones allowed to claim 100% of our square footage for example.

-heather

ps: it's a free service she offers for people that visit this childcare site http://forums.delphiforums.com/care/start so visit there and look around first. Tell her you are from Punky's and she'll reveiw your taxes for free. You'll only owe a fee if you refile them. She's worth the money and comparable to HRBlock in price.

#150 of 733 Old 01-25-2007, 04:53 PM

due to my past work environment i left my job to better care for my infant daughter. i thought i would have no problem finding either a nanny job, or a position in which i could provide childcare in my home. what i have found out is that no one wants to hire a nanny (even if she has tons of experience) you has to bring their child. i have been contacted by several people who would like me to watch their kids in my house even though I am a highly educated person with several years of experience, my value is less becasue i want to be at home instead of at a center, or in their home. in all honesty i feel that being in someones home is the best place for them to provide childcare as long as they are attentive and energetic providers so why does their value go down? People want to pay me $120 for 40 hours a week means $3 an hour ! If you feed the child organic healthly food, take them out to do something, and provide art projects etc... you are then lucky if you are making $1 an hour! if you are really good at your job then this makes it hardly worth all of the effort. mostly... I NEED HELP i have had several families contact me i made listings on craigslist and i have created a website: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/organicmama. Can some of you please let me know how much you charge, how do you stay cost effective, last but not least is there anything else i can do to get some business??

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page