Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... anyone else out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 733 Old 11-24-2006, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am a home daycare provider. I am in Canada. Where are you? How many kids do you care for?

I have been doing this for 3 yrs now. I love it and can't imagine going back to work in the 'real' world.

I care for my own 2 kids and 5 other children each day.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#3 of 733 Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the process of officially becoming a home daycare provider in Baltimore, MD.

I currently have three families that I work for as part-time and drop-in clients. There's one baby I watch two days a week. Family #2 has a six and a three year old and I'm one person on her list of sitters (she's a viola player and has varying hours). Family #3 has a five, four and two year old and is a drop-in client.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 733 Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 PM

I have been a childcare provider off and on for 6 years. I am currently located in Oklahoma City. I care for my 3 kids, and 5 others... ages: 5 months, 6 months,7 months, 2 2 year olds, 3 year old, 4 year old and 7 year old! All of my kids are from different families so drop off and pick up times are crazy!
#5 of 733 Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 AM

I have three kids of my own, two in school and one at home. I watch a 4 month-old baby in my house from 9 to 3. I also do some night babysitting while my neighbor takes college classes. It gets busy here at times :
#6 of 733 Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 AM

I will be in January. One additional child, three days/week. He was born Thanksgiving. It will probably be pretty hectic for a while, since I do other WAHM things and am in law school PT.
#7 of 733 Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I'll be joining the "ranks" in a couple of months. In February I'll be babysitting a friend's 1-year-old two days each week and possibly 4 days each week starting next fall. I've got lots of experience babysitting and I've even had a couple of nanny jobs, but it's been a while so I hope I'm not too rusty!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#8 of 733 Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 PM

I am an inhome childcare provider in Portland, Oregon. I started in September. I just got registered with the state yesterday and have been watching one additonal child (17 mo girl) other than my own. I am really wanting a lot more kids but am not sure how I will be at dealing with the chaos. We'll see I suppose.

Nice to meet you.
#9 of 733 Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM

subbing...back with more when dd doesnt need me "right now!"
#10 of 733 Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM

subbin.
i am an in home childcare provider just outside of portland oregon.
i take care of an almost 2 year old 5 days a week full time and two boys 3.5yo and just turned 1y.o three days a week for 4 hours each.
i LOVE my job.

anyone else have a toddler that has a hard time sharing their stuff. toys/space/mommy? my dd has turned into a beast lately and i think it is because she has a hard time sharing her stuff.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#11 of 733 Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 PM

Addysmama:

Do you have an area of the house set aside where the dckids are not allowed? It helps. I actually have a seperate room in my house that is set up just for daycare. The dckids still use the rest of my main level to roam around in or eat in etc etc but all of the toys are kept in the daycare room.
So, my dd knows that if she doesn't want the toy shared then leave it out of the dcroom.

Also, we have a finished basement and it is completley off limits to anyone who comes for daycare. My family need to have a place to get away when they need to and a place for their own toys too. I never want my kids or hubby to feel like their home in not THEIRS. It really helps to have a place only they can go.

One of the things I am very careful to avoid is having my own kids think they are in daycare everyday as well. fact of the matter is they are NOT. So, I let them go off and do their own thing when they need to in other areas of the house.

I hope that helps!

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

#12 of 733 Old 12-19-2006, 05:54 PM

DD is 2.5
we are in a 2bdrm apt. one is our bedroom. the other is the toyroom. the main problem is, they are ALL her toys, and she feels strongly about them all, mainly, cause its her "turf" her toys, her space. make sense???
so even if its a toy she isnt usually very interested in, if one of the other kids want to play with it, or even show an interest in it she runs over and grabs it from them, i am NOT fast enough to stop her most of the time. we talk about how its not very nice to grab, that so n so was playing with it, and taking a turn with it, and she can take a turn with something else, then try to find an alternative for her to play with. but she doesnt want what so n so has because she wants to play with it, she just doesnt want THEM to play with it. she has become VERY possessive of her space and toys, and she has started lashing out with her hands. it worries me and bothers me. no one ever thinks THEIR kid will be the bully. and she hasnt ever had it modeled for her. when we lived with my mom, her cousin who was in daycare started hitting her pinching her and pulling her hair. then i limited her exposure to her cousin so she wouldnt be exposed to that behavior. that was like 6 months ago. now she is the bully, and its breaking my heart. i have such a hard time watching my child go from SO awesome and sweet and fun when its just us to a little beast when the other kids are here.
i am trying to keep her from the other kids unless she can use soft hands and use her words to express herself. it doesnt even bother me when she roars at anyone, because at least she is verbally expressing how she feels. then i validate her feelings, we hug, and she moves on. but the hitting, hair pulling, etc. its bothering me SO much!

#13 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 AM

What do you folks use for trasnsportation?
For years I've been using the Peg Perego triple stroller, and it finally gave out (one of the springs broke). First I thought I would find someone to repair/replace the spring, but where do you find a "stroller mechanic"? Then I started looking online at used and new triple strollers. The nerw Peg Perego triple big wheel goes for over a $1,000, a new triple Inglesina for $720. The used ones I found for 250 plus shipping, but you don't really know what condition they are in, so I was weary of buying used one from out of state.....

what do you guys do?
#14 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 AM

what ages are the kids you watch? i wear the young one on my back in a meitai, push the second youngest in a stroller and DD and the 3.5 yo walk, IF we end up going anywhere that requires us to go far. but generally we stay in and do activities.

#15 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 AM

I watch a 5 month old baby during the day, and my baby is 11 months old now. So both of them go in the double stroller (I used my triple peg perego as a double most of the time, the seats are all removable; it makes a luxurious double!). I walk a lot as I have to take two older DDs to school and pick them up from school and take them to dance classes etc. When the baby I am watching is not here, my 2.5 yr old DD goes in the double carriage ,since we walk far. I do all my shopping, errands, library etc. during the day, so I am always pushing my double/triple stroller, RIP
I also have a baby sling, but rarely use it, since I have more than one baby always.
I am looking to buy a simialr one, with big pneumatic wheels and in-line (since it's easier to get into the elevator and stores with a long carriage rather than the wide one). Are there any good sites? I only found "triple connections".
#16 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 AM

well I can officially join you now... I got confirmation that I will be able to watch dh's best friends boys... nearly 3, 1 1/2 and 6 months... I have a feeling that I may be getting in over my head... but 1.. I need the extra money (I stay home with ds.. who is 2 1/2) and ds badly needs kids to play with apart from my sister, 14. and youngest bro, 5.

anyway.. I was wondering what resources you ladies have/use... websites books etc.. the mom said these kids are wild (insert worried face here)
I have some sites that have neat progects I'll share later... and also what would I need for basic supplies... (I know I need bottles, diapers, art supplies...)

and

melissabb.. thanks for responding to all my posts yesterday... AND I love the fact that you make sure to separate the areas of your home like that.. it is very smart of you! I dont honestly have the room... we only have a 2 bdrm townhouse... but I will remember that anyway.

thanks ladies.

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

#17 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1895 View Post
(I know I need bottles, diapers, art supplies...)
I'm not a DCP, but as a parent who uses childcare, just wanted to say that typically the parents provide bottles and diapers. Some of the bigger centers will provide all the bottles and diapers--I think mainly because it's easier for them to use the same supplies for all the babies than to keep track of whose stuff is whose--but as a small in-home provider there's no advantage to you in providing that stuff, and it just eats into your income.

As for supplies, we pay an annual materials fee at my son's preschool but at an in-home provider I would kind of expect them to just build that cost into their weekly fees.

HTH!
#18 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 11:41 AM

I'm a soon to be home childcare provider. We just bought a house and I'm quiting my job once I find a child(en) to watch. I'm really excited about doing childcare. I've done it in a center setting in the past but am looking for to this change of pace. I'm having a hard time finding children to watch though. I don't have muich word of mouth because I'm new to the area. I've tried a newspaper ad and didn't have much luck. I put up some flyers too but havn't had any response.. any ideas, suggestions??
#19 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM

You need to get hooked up with your local childcare referral agency. Even if you are not licensed, they will usually put you on the list they hand out to parents, and indicate the number of children you're allowed to watch. Like in NC you can care for 2 children unrelated to you without being licensed.
#20 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 12:21 PM

my parents provide diapers and wipes and bottles. I work with the childcare food program so I get money from the state to pay for food and formula if babies need it.
I watch a 1 yr old, a 2 yr old and a school aged boy before and after school. I also have my 3 (1, 3 and 6) I will be adding a baby this spring when the 2 yr olds family has another baby. Some days I feel like Im going insane.
Are you able to get adult contact during the day? I have been doing this for 6 yrs and really crave adult contact since all I get is the few minutes that the parents are there to drop off and pick up. How do you handle this? I have too many kids to take places, especially when this new baby starts. Any advice?
#21 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM

thanks wednesday... well a lot of the things I need I actually already have.. just stored away.. like bottles and a small crib/play yard... I was just getting ideas... but I do appreciate you saying that because you do have a valid point as to how much it would eat up my income.

#22 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM

I do have adult contact... dh works third shift so he is technically home... and he can always work his sleeping time around me... if I need help or whatever... and my nieghbor is home most days because she is working second shift... so if I do want someone to talk to or whatever I'm sure she wouldnt mind.. that and I have mdc

#23 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1895 View Post

anyway.. I was wondering what resources you ladies have/use... websites books etc.. the mom said these kids are wild (insert worried face here)
I have some sites that have neat progects I'll share later... and also what would I need for basic supplies... (I know I need bottles, diapers, art supplies...)

thanks ladies.
I do NOT supply diapers. They are expensive and in my city daycare centres do not supply them either. Each family brings their own. You might want to think about that one! A child could use up to $20 worth of diapers in a week and that cuts into your profit margin.

Dollar stores have great arts and crafts supplies and party packs of prizes etc for games like Bingo and stuff. Stickers are cheap there too to use as rewards for listening, sharing etc.

#24 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 PM

You should also see if there is a Daycare Association that you can become a member of. I am with an association, and a referal agency and the only one that I get referals from is the Association. It costs $12 a year and when anyone in the group gets phone calls or even face to face requests for daycare and for whatever reason they can not take the child they post it online and everyone has a chance... I love it.
#25 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll be doing this in January. I currently work at an extended care daycare (nights and weekends) but they are closing our program, so I'm trying to get a couple of the kids who attend our center to watch at my home.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#26 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM

the parents of the children i watch provide their diapers one is in cloth the other disposable, there is just one that takes bottles and he drinks the weston price homemade formula, so his mom supplys that too. i dont charge much, and DH wants me either to ask them to bring their food or charge more, because really these kids eat ALOT of food! we go through a few loaves of bread a week, etc. i provide all meals for the times they are here. we do breakfast at 9 when the first one gets here, lunch at 12:30-1 ish, when all are here. and then snacks in between and if anyone stays late enough they eat dinner with us.
but to be honest i dont know how to ask them to either pay more or bring food. i know one mom would rather pay more. and the other one already brings the babys yogurt and snacks, and sometimes special goats milk for her milk allergic child.
i just feel badly asking parents to pay me more or take their time to prepare food to bring.
i am such a pushover.
and i am not watching Drs kids, these are regular working families, with average incomes, so if iw ere to charge more i could be hurting them.
i feel so conflicted. on one hand i dont wanna go broke from feeding everyone. about half my salary goes to food for the kids. but on the other hand, i dont want them to be affected by me needing either more money or food brought.
ACK! conflict. i loathe conflict!

also i second the dollar store for good inexpensive stickers and such. we also do biglots and sometimes they have great deals on fun lil things for the kids to do.

i need a toddler size table they can craft at. cause getting them up and down from the table is such an ordeal no one likes to do it unless its for food. lol.

#27 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM

addysmama-you might want to check to see if your state has a childcare food program. it really is great. For the 2 children I watch full time I get about $100 a month from the state to feed them. They have certain requirements (like I have to be registered with the state but not licensed) There are certain foods I have to serve at meals and snacks, but usually not a problem. They come and check on me a few times a year to make sure I am doing things "correctly"

I like www.letteroftheweek.com for ideas
#28 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM

we are organic vegetarian, and tho not all the kids are, they are when they are here because meat doesnt come in my house. but the meals are all proper, with a grain a protien and a few fruits and vegetables. if anything the kids might be getting TOO much fruit when here. lol. its our favorite snack around here.

do you think that would pass?
also the whole thing i have with registering, is i have problems with how our state is run. mainly cause i have seen so many abused kids left with their abusers, and so many non abused kids yanked from their loving parents arms. and everything is back asswards. so i would really prefer to keep the state out of my affairs. not that there is anything for me to hide. i am a very loving kind appropriate nurturing care provider, never ever ever having violence in my house (aside from my bully of a two year old that drives me nuts, she is so mean sometimes!) and the kids ar all taken care of properly. but i have seen people investigated for NOTHING but an uptight caseworker getting a bee in her bonnett cause the parents have tattoos or are vegan, etc.
and two of the three kids i watch dont live in my state. we are right on the border, they live in the other state and their parents work in my state close to where i live. so i dont know if i could even get food assistance for them.

wow i am in a mighty negative mood today.

#29 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
i just feel badly asking parents to pay me more or take their time to prepare food to bring.
i am such a pushover.
and i am not watching Drs kids, these are regular working families, with average incomes, so if iw ere to charge more i could be hurting them.
i feel so conflicted. on one hand i dont wanna go broke from feeding everyone. about half my salary goes to food for the kids. but on the other hand, i dont want them to be affected by me needing either more money or food brought.
ACK! conflict. i loathe conflict!

addysmama,

I used to feel this way too but then I started to look at things more from a business sense. And, first and foremost this IS your business. That doesn't mean you are any less caring and nurturing. You need to see it from the point of view that YOU need to be happy with the return of your time and resources and expenses. If you aren't happy with the amount of money you are making then everyone suffers - you, your family AND the dcfamiles too. If you aren't happy you will eventually stop doing it and then where will the familes be?? Do you see what I mean?

I refuse to charge less than the value I perceive my services to be. I am not doing this out of the goodness of my heart. This money helps to feed my family and pay my mortgage etc. That is not to say I have never 'helped' out a family in need but for the most part I think you need to charge what you feel comfortable with and right now you don't sound like you think you deserve more.

I would type up a letter stating a rate increase of a few dollars a day effective january first. I will paste a copy of one below that I have used in the past.

The first time I did a rate increase I was hesitant that I would have alot of backlash but you know..not one family complained! And, in my opinion if they do then they do not value you or your care.

Good luck!

Dear Parent(s),

Let me first thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of your child’s formative years. It is with delight that I look forward to many more days ahead. The colder weather and indoor time will provide us with more time to cuddle and read together, create crafts and use manipulative toys such as playdough.

In order to continue to provide your child the best possible care, using the best resources , and to balance the increasing costs of hydro, food and taxes it is necessary to restructure the daily daycare rate. Effective 01 January, 2006 the daily rate will increase to $xx.00 per child. I trust that you find this increase fair and reasonable.

Please sign and return the second page of this document and I will include it in your child’s file. Please keep this copy for your records.

#30 of 733 Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM

melissabb, thanks for the idea (the rate increase letter). I also have trouble talking to families about money. After a few years I finally started giving new parents a letter with my terms and conditions; it included all the rates (I started charging more for part-time or night babysitting), as well as the way I keep track of their hrs and such. It seems easier to spell everything upfront than have misunderstandings and feel resentful later on, especially since I am one of those people who has trouble bringing the issues up once I am into the babysitting relationship. Thanks for your sample letter, it's a great idea.
And you are right, this is about business, and we should not undervalue our efforts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page