February Childcare providers-Come chat! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey y'all!

I did have one family who was just pushing my every button, but I let them go at the end of last year. My sanity is worth so much more than what they paid me! I would literally be stressed out all day because they had stressed out about some minor thing that morning or something. Ugh! Our days are great now!

I like the stick walk and the stick/playdough idea! We're going swimming on Valentine's Day, so hadn't thought about any special activity. Though we've been making valentines constantly to send to friends and family for the last week.

We did a fun project a couple weeks ago with one of the numerous seed catalogs that came in the mail. The older kids and I cut out photos. One of the toddlers tried cutting for a while, but really just slashed through the pages, and eventually tired of it. Then we all picked out construction paper adn made collages and/or cards to send to love ones jsut as "thinking of you" mail (any grandma loves that!). They also got to paint on the cards after the pictures were on, if they wanted to. I had to have the glue with paintbrushes and only dole out small amounts at a time, but it worked well

We do lots of cooking activities. The kids wanted to peel and cut veggies a couple days ago, so I set them up with peelers, the apple wedger/corer thingie, the older ones with knives, the compost bucket and cutting boards, and a bowl. They did enough apples and carrots to yield some nice chunky muffins! They've made a good soup last Summer from whatever they wanted to pick from teh garden. And the great thing about those, is it doubles as a snack that they'll LOVE (I swear I've never seen little kids so excited about stewed kale before until they had picked it washed it and torn it up!).

We also will sometimes just do an errand so the kids can have the joy of riding the bus . And that takes up at least a couple good hours!

I have my own 3 and 6 yo's, who are unschooled, so both home with me most of the time. I also watch a 14 mo G, 2-1/2 yo G, 3 yo B, 6 yo B. But not all at once. I'm of the unliscensed type, and only can (and want) 2 kids at a time that aren't related to me. So I only work 4 days a week, with 2 daycare kids a day. Did that make sense? I set it up so I would only work part-time, as I want most of my time to be with just my kids. (esp since with the older one, so many HS'ing activities are coming up that we need to make time for).

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 PM

http://corrieskids.site.with.us/pictures

Here is my website with it linked right to the photos. I do need to update though. I changed things all around..

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I have been having issues with maintaining my work-life balance. I was wondering if any of you have any tips for me.

I don't work a large number of hours for a childcare provider, only 8 or 9 per day, but the things I do after hours are eating up all my free time. I live in a two-bedroom apartment, so I don't have a special room for daycare. Therefore my entire house has to be kept clean and ready for the kids. I keep things neat through the day, but the real cleaning I can't do until my own kids are in bed at night, since the floor and kitchen get messy after making and eating dinner. So before I go to bed, I sweep and mop the main room, clean the kitchen, wash any toys that were mouthed that day, sweep and spot clean the hallway and kitchen, lay out my kids' clothes for the next day, and just make sure everything is straightened up. By the time I'm done, it's my bedtime. I read a little and fall asleep. I used to go out every so often at night for "me" time, but I have found that when I do that, the house is still a mess when I get home and I'm up late cleaning. Then I'm tired the next day and I just don't feel the joy I normally do at being with the kids.

Then on the weekends, more often than not, I'm either planning our weekly activities or I'm rushing around buying things for them. I've just started this about 3-4 months ago, so I don't have all the supplies I'd like to have and am constantly needing something or other that I must use in a planned activity. So now it's rare that I have a Sunday free for my own family. I *have* to plan new activities, as my employer requires it. They do provide toys, but I like to make the activities seasonally related to the Jewish calendar, so I always end up buying other stuff. This weekend, for example, I'm planning to sew some simple dress up clothes to go with a planned activity. I hate most of the typical dress up clothes I see, so I'm trying to make mine a little nicer and better made so they don't fall to bits right away. I'm rambling on now, but I'm just trying to explain what takes up all my time.

I'm trying to think of things I can do to cut corners and free up my time. So I've stopped cleaning my room at night. I don't use it that much for the kids, and I can shut the door when parents come in. That still leaves the main dirty rooms. Also, I'm hoping that after I've done this for longer, I won't need to go out and buy stuff all the time. I'll also have plans from the previous year to start from when writting my program plans.

Any other ideas or thoughts?
the only suggestion I have is for cleaning the toys. I "wash" the toys maybe once a month... I gather them all up and dump them in the bathtub and scrub and I wash all the stuffed animals in the washing mnachine. the rest of the time I just spray the hard toys with Lysol or a weak bleach solution to disinfect them everyday.

Corrie, I like your room. It looks fiun!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabb View Post
Anyone have a website? I like looking at other people's to see how I can improve my own.

Here is mine
http://www.freewebs.com/whitehillsdaycare/
Yours looks great to me! Can I come eat at your day care? Food looks YUMMY. Do you send home the monthly menu including snacks etc? If the child doesn't like something can the parent send a different snack / lunch, or do you have a back up?

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

For mouthed toys, can you put them in a bucket and disinfect them in the dishwasher (I know some go through the dishwasher fine) or give them a quick soak during nap? For wood items, I would very lightly spray them and then set them under a fan to dry or lightly spray and give a quick wipedown.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 02-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Ughhh... so it's day 3 of having this 14 month old boy here. I know, I know, still adjusting and all that, but I can't find ANYTHING he likes doing. No matter what we do, he's whining, and it's this kind of sad sounding whine. I never used to like to say kids whine, but that's just what it sounds like!

Is this normal? Is this just adjusting? I'm new at this so please help me! Also he just went full time and I'm kind of scared, it's hard to listen to him sound so unhappy all day no matter what I do (even when I'm holding him!).
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those of you that have to keep medical and vax records for the state, how do you accomodate non-vax'ing or selectively vax'ing families?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 PM

When I was doing drop in care, my "welcome packet" included a note that requested vaccine records, or a letter of religious waiver from the parent that also explained maryland law.

T

hh2.gif

Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Those of you that have to keep medical and vax records for the state, how do you accomodate non-vax'ing or selectively vax'ing families?
just get a note from the doc and I also have to let other parents know if a child is not vaxed.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtosimon View Post
just get a note from the doc and I also have to let other parents know if a child is not vaxed.
I'm almost positive that is incorrect. Why do you think that? That is a violation of privacy laws, even if you do not say which child.

hh2.gif

Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I will first state that I am NOT a licensed provider so I am not required to keep vax records.

But, I have to wonder about the above quote. First, why is it important that anyone know about a NON-vaxed child in care? They are NOT a health threat to others.

Second, I think it is a breach of confidentiality to tell others of the health choices of one family to another.

I HATE that some providers are boo-bah or seem to think there is a need to have Non-Vaxed kids pointed out. We wouldn't sit down in an interview and say, "Oh ya, and little Kenny over there...he is/isn't circumsized".

These are health and concienscious choices and are not need to be nor should be up for discussion.

I am a provider and my own kids are Not Vaxed. I see no need to mention it. However, if a parent asks about vaxes I am honest and say, "My own children are not vaxed. That is not something that is going to change. Whether or not your child is vaccinated is not important to me. If vaccination issues are a problem for your family then this is not the place for you."

And, I really say that! Take or leave it. I am not making vax and issue in my home. It is a choice and I leave it at that.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
Old 02-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I'm almost positive that is incorrect. Why do you think that? That is a violation of privacy laws, even if you do not say which child.
oh, no, its true. I have to "warn the other parents" that their child is around another child that isnt vaxed. Of course I dont NAME the child. Its absolutely correct information. In the state of Kansas anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabb View Post
I will first state that I am NOT a licensed provider so I am not required to keep vax records.

But, I have to wonder about the above quote. First, why is it important that anyone know about a NON-vaxed child in care? They are NOT a health threat to others.

Second, I think it is a breach of confidentiality to tell others of the health choices of one family to another.

I HATE that some providers are boo-bah or seem to think there is a need to have Non-Vaxed kids pointed out. We wouldn't sit down in an interview and say, "Oh ya, and little Kenny over there...he is/isn't circumsized".

These are health and concienscious choices and are not need to be nor should be up for discussion.

I am a provider and my own kids are Not Vaxed. I see no need to mention it. However, if a parent asks about vaxes I am honest and say, "My own children are not vaxed. That is not something that is going to change. Whether or not your child is vaccinated is not important to me. If vaccination issues are a problem for your family then this is not the place for you."

And, I really say that! Take or leave it. I am not making vax and issue in my home. It is a choice and I leave it at that.
Oh, please dont think I am making it an issue!!! I am just following the law. I'll see if I can find a link for it so you can see for yourself what it says. I am liscenced, btw.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:39 PM

This is from the Regulations for licensed and group homes

at this webiste http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/lic...s_for_LDCH.pdf

"A record of each child's immunizations shall
be maintained on the child's medical record.
(2) Exceptions to health assessments and immunizations shall be permitted if one of
the following is obtained:
(A) certification from a licensed physician stating the physical condition of the
child is such that the test and immunization would seriously endanger the
child's life or health; or
(B) a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the parent or
guardian is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious
teachings are opposed to health assessments or such tests and
immunizations.
(c) When an infant is enrolled who has not been immunized against measles, mumps and
rubella because of the age of that child, and there are children in care who have not had
measles, mumps and rubella immunizations due to exemption, including the children of
the provider, the parents of the infant at risk shall sign a statement that they have been
informed of the risk to their child. This statement shall be in the infant's file at the day
care or group day care home."

Ok, so I rememebered it a bit wrong. I only have to inform the parents of other unvaxed kids.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
This is from the Regulations for licensed and group homes

at this webiste http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/lic...s_for_LDCH.pdf

"A record of each child's immunizations shall
be maintained on the child's medical record.
(2) Exceptions to health assessments and immunizations shall be permitted if one of
the following is obtained:
(A) certification from a licensed physician stating the physical condition of the
child is such that the test and immunization would seriously endanger the
child's life or health; or
(B) a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the parent or
guardian is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious
teachings are opposed to health assessments or such tests and
immunizations.
(c) When an infant is enrolled who has not been immunized against measles, mumps and
rubella because of the age of that child, and there are children in care who have not had
measles, mumps and rubella immunizations due to exemption, including the children of
the provider, the parents of the infant at risk shall sign a statement that they have been
informed of the risk to their child. This statement shall be in the infant's file at the day
care or group day care home."

Ok, so I rememebered it a bit wrong. I only have to inform the parents of other unvaxed kids.

The way I read the above is that no one has to be informed of the non-vaxed kids. As long as the parents of the non-vaxed kids are aware of the ramifications of not vaxing - and they are if they actually read the document - then that is all there is to it.

I was not trying to pull you into a debate. That was not my intent. Sorry if you took it that way.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
For mouthed toys, can you put them in a bucket and disinfect them in the dishwasher (I know some go through the dishwasher fine) or give them a quick soak during nap? For wood items, I would very lightly spray them and then set them under a fan to dry or lightly spray and give a quick wipedown.
I actually have considered getting a dishwasher for this purpose alone! Alas, there is no room in my house for one.

I was individually scrubbing each toy with soap under hot water, but I've been using a somewhat less labor-intensive method recently. I take one of the plastic bins from the toy organizer I have and fill it full of dirty toys. Then I put in detergent/soap and fill with HOT water. I let that soak for a while, then empty and refill with hot water, and repeat as necessary. I still scrub those things I think got really dirty, but this is faster for the other stuff. The wood toys still take a lot of time, since I can't soak those. Afterwards I set them all out on the table to dry overnight. I can't soak anything during the day because the container of water is considered a hazard.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keja View Post
Ughhh... so it's day 3 of having this 14 month old boy here. I know, I know, still adjusting and all that, but I can't find ANYTHING he likes doing. No matter what we do, he's whining, and it's this kind of sad sounding whine. I never used to like to say kids whine, but that's just what it sounds like!

Is this normal? Is this just adjusting? I'm new at this so please help me! Also he just went full time and I'm kind of scared, it's hard to listen to him sound so unhappy all day no matter what I do (even when I'm holding him!).
I guess it is just adjusting. This is probably really obvious, but have you spoken to his parents about it? I find that they are my best resource, especially when a child is still settling in and I haven't really gotten to know him or her yet. Maybe they will have an idea for you. Or maybe it is just something that will slowly lessen as he gets more used to the idea of being at your place so much. It does sound like it's hard to deal with! I have a nearly 2 yo girl who is very sweet, but she has periods when she just follows me around and says, "Mommy, mommy, mommy, mo..." and so on in a sad little voice. I think she is actually calling *me* "mommy", and I do take time sit with her and engage her in doing something, but it is kind of pitiful at the same time. I just feel for her, but it doesn't sound like anything nearly as intense as what this little boy is expressing.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

BinahYeteirah-all we have to do in our state if we dont have a dishwasher is place the toys in a bucket mixed with water and bleach (I use vinegar though) Let them soak for a few minutes and then lay out to dry. this might help you from spending so much time scrubbing. this is the same thing we had to do when I worked at a center too
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM

in kansas a spray bottle with bleach water is sufficient. I just spray all the toys at the end of the day and leave hem on their shelves to dry.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM

I need help with a 2 .5 yr girl. I have had her since she was 4 months old. She belongs here just as much as she belongs at her own home, kwim? She is starting to gt BOSSY with the other kids, tattling on them, grabbing toys away from other kids, FOLLOW ME AROUND AND WHINE. I hate whining. most of the time I can handle it, give her something to do... gently help or correct her without shaming. But sometimes... I lose my patience with her. Do anyone of you have a kid like this and what do you do?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
BinahYeteirah-all we have to do in our state if we dont have a dishwasher is place the toys in a bucket mixed with water and bleach (I use vinegar though) Let them soak for a few minutes and then lay out to dry. this might help you from spending so much time scrubbing. this is the same thing we had to do when I worked at a center too
Yep, that is what I am doing now, too, although I will change out the water a few times. I use hot water and some enviro detergent.

Good for you for using the vinegar. My general purpose cleaning spray for the daycare is water, vinegar, enviro dish detergent, and tto. Works for me!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Yep, that is what I am doing now, too, although I will change out the water a few times. I use hot water and some enviro detergent.

Good for you for using the vinegar. My general purpose cleaning spray for the daycare is water, vinegar, enviro dish detergent, and tto. Works for me!
yeah, I have a small bottle of bleach under the sink in case someone from the state stops by...shh dont tell them!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Thank G-d, the policies I have to follow do not specify the type of cleaner that must be used. The book I was given on good practices for health in childcare does mention that bleach is good for killing germs, but it says a lot more about just soap and water. It says that if an item is not clean already, bleach or other disinfectants cannot kill all the germs. It also states that hot water and detergent will wash off the majority of bacteria, so that is the best thing to do for most cleaning. It does recommend a disinfectant for cleaning certain items, but, again, I'm not required to use a specific one.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM

its finally nice here. i weanted to take the girls to the zoo today SO badly, but i watch my brother for an hour from 2:30-3:30. prime zoo time so sadly. no outing for us today.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 PM

Hi all...I have a quick question for you. How do you handle it when you or one of your kids are sick (possibly contagious sp?). In my policy I state that I have a back up provider, which I do. The reality is, however, that while that works great for dr appt and planned time I need off it is not working at all for times when my kids or my self are sick. So I am tring to revise my policy but could really use some help/ideas. Right now I am just winging it and giving my clients the option to come or not if they choose not to then I will credit them a days tuition.

I hope this makes sense I am realy felling cruddy.
TIA

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 PM

nt

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
oh, no, its true. I have to "warn the other parents" that their child is around another child that isnt vaxed. Of course I dont NAME the child. Its absolutely correct information. In the state of Kansas anyway.
unless you are only caring for school aged children than most of the kids are not vaxed because they havn't finished any of the series.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

User Tag List