Site critique - follow-up. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, been working day and night on this trying to get it up and ready to go live.

I would *love* an uncensored critique of the new site. Please.

http://www.babyfairies.com/store/index.php
#2 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 02:50 AM

Great looking site and cute things! The only thing I as a shopper would like is a closer view of the fabrics. (ie, the shirts are a little small, harder to see the fabric pattern) I also was disappointed to not see all the styles that you had on your homepage. Maybe they just haven't been all loaded yet? That is personally one of my pet peeves is to see something super cute on the homepage and then not find it available anywhere on the site.: (like the shoes and the hat.)

I also know that people look for a physical address for contact somewhere on the site. (it is taught to look for that for security issues) so you may want to list an address? I know that many have their own privacy and security issues for not doing this so ?? I was fortunate to have a physical address to list that was not my home on my site.

I think your things are great! I am sure you will do well. I look forward to seeing your "launch"! (and I would LOVE to see more boys stuff!)

Update: I did find the hat and shoes but I had to click on the sizing chart first and them on accessories. Going straight to accessories from the main page didn't show all the merchandise??? BTW, going through the sizing chart first also gave me larger pictures for seeing detail.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#3 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 AM

I just have a few moments...

I think it is really coming along!

On the main page...
"Each Babyfairies' items is individually handcrafted on small scale production, and with painstaking detail using only the highest quality fabrics and notions."

I think this should probably be "Each Babyfairies item is" or "All Babyfairies items are"

At first glance it looks like it's girls' clothing only. Do you sell boys' items too? I have noticed that most clothing web site separate these right up front (think Gymboree, Gap, etc). As of right now as a mom of boys, I'd probably look no further than your main page, thinking it didn't apply to me.

Also - this is probably just me - but your logo bird looks very odd to me with no legs!
#4 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The sizing page goes back to your old site, with the old links, so you need to fix that, or at least make your old site look like the new one. Also, maybe you could condense your sizes into a single chart so that it doesn't go all the way down the page.

The links on the Shopping Cart page are the wrong ones http://www.babyfairies.com/store/cart.php?act=cart - it still lists "tanks", "homepage" and "sale items" like it did before you fixed those. You also might want to call that page "View Cart" partly because it's shorter and more explicit as to where it goes.

I agree that you need some close-up pictures, does the cart software have an option for a pop-up window with larger pics?? If not, you'll want to add some links to close-up pics, showing details and just to get a better view. On the Toddler Pack-packs, you can barely read the details on the tiny picture you have there.

Also, getting to your old site through the sizing link reminds me how much I prefer the smaller nav links at the top and how they are pushed out to the opposite edges of the page. On the new site they just look like they aren't lining up properly, where on the old site it looks like a purposeful style choice. I also prefer the lower case links on the old page.

I also really like the large photos on the sub-category listing pages that you used to have, is there a way to add them back in??

Also, the old site had the subcategory pictures arranged in a neater grid than on the new pages http://www.babyfairies.com/accessories.html . Maybe that's more obvious as you had more subcategories on the old site, but the new pages don't look as neat http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...iewCat&catId=2

Is there a way to seperate the customer comments better?? Maybe quotes around each one or alternate italics with regular text or even make it bullet point list.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments - They are all very valid points, and I will work on all those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
Also, the old site had the subcategory pictures arranged in a neater grid than on the new pages http://www.babyfairies.com/accessories.html . Maybe that's more obvious as you had more subcategories on the old site, but the new pages don't look as neat http://www.babyfairies.com/store/ind...iewCat&catId=2
I don't know - I asked about this a couple times - I don't think it can be done. I think it is just one of the things I will have to try not to worry about until I can get the site redesigned.
#6 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We have tried working on this, but apparently it is as good as they will get. I am not sure why, but I think it is hard to center them - ? Any help with this would be great. Not that *I* would know how to do it...
#7 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM

I'll look at your code tonight and see if I can help you fix these things. Dh is out of town and I have too much time on my hands

#8 of 16 Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll look at your code tonight and see if I can help you fix these things. Dh is out of town and I have too much time on my hands
OMG - that would be TOO cool of you. I have no idea where it is even kept. can you write me at amy@babyfairies.com? If I knew where it was kept, though, I think I might play around with a few things. I looked though all my files and couldn't find anything that looked like CSS or html.
#9 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 AM

Sent you an email

#10 of 16 Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM

Amy, you might want to check the spelling of the French phrase.
"joie de vivre". Also, you can put it in italics.
#11 of 16 Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

ewe - where was that?!
#12 of 16 Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 AM

On the home page, you have 3 product images - they should be clickable to reach that product for sale.

In general, I would suggest having the purchasable product as "close to" the home page as possible. Right now you are 3-4 clicks away.
#13 of 16 Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
In general, I would suggest having the purchasable product as "close to" the home page as possible. Right now you are 3-4 clicks away.
Both great comments - thanks. I agree, which is why I plan on totally re-configuring my categories, to make babies, boys and girls categories and just list products from there.
Very thoughtful ideas - thanks!
#14 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 AM

I have a question - I'm actually trying to order some yogini pants and a side tie kimono for my little guy, and I was hoping to find a sizing chart on there somewhere. He's 4 months, but he's a hefty little guy, and I have been buying 6-9 months for him. So, my suggestion is to add a sizing chart poundage wise, at least. And any chance I can get an idea if my 17 lber can fit into the 3-6 clothes? I'm dying for a yogini/side tie kimono set, but I don't want it to be too small, or only fit for a week!

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#15 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM

I also wsee that your yongini pants are sized in a 2,4 and 6 - are those children vs. baby sizes? It'd be great to have some guidance for size charts.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#16 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I had a size chart before - need to redo it - and it has most of this info.
You can PM me for specifics.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page